Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will AEW survive the year?
This poll is closed.
Yes 102 47.66%
No 17 7.94%
Yes after TNA buys it 95 44.39%
Total: 214 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Benne posted:

That's why I specified main roster, because if you count NXT and 205 and UK then it's probably a legitimate argument

Yeah main roster might be harder but I know they randomly promoted a load of people recently so I can't say for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CarlCX posted:

I am absurdly curious about who they consider actual top talents if Seth and Moxley are middle-of-the-pack average. I feel like it's probably Lashley.

I actually asked and it wasn't as terrible of a list as you might think other than Roman. KO, Sami, Finn, Nak, Cesaro, Aleister, Ricochet, Andrade, some others. I argued I'd agree on Finn and Nak at their peaks but those dudes are clearly collecting checks at this point, which, fair play to them. And as I pointed out, I'd say I agree it's a logjam around there but that's not a knock on Seth, it's a testament to how goddamn stacked and utterly squandered WWE's roster is.

I bet the dude that Mox will still be a Megastar a year from now and that AEW will be meeting or eclipsing TNA's peak in tangible business i.e ratings and buys. I'm very confident in that bet.

The fact that someone can watch what Mox is doing and claim it's all just a function of short term buzz that will fade and that he's not actually that talented and that Vince made both Mox and Rollins boggles my loving mind though.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Mox's post match interview in the G1 with Shota hanging out to the side was better than any interview he had in the WWE in the past year. And it makes him an even bigger star

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
At this point you could probably argue that Chinsuke Nakamura is a better worker than 2019 Shinsuke Nakamura and not sound like a crazy person

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
sure mox's g1 start has been good but he was carried by taichi who is obv primed to be a future ace, so its really hard to say what the rest of his run is gonna look like

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I actually asked and it wasn't as terrible of a list as you might think other than Roman. KO, Sami, Finn, Nak, Cesaro, Aleister, Ricochet, Andrade, some others. I argued I'd agree on Finn and Nak at their peaks but those dudes are clearly collecting checks at this point, which, fair play to them. And as I pointed out, I'd say I agree it's a logjam around there but that's not a knock on Seth, it's a testament to how goddamn stacked and utterly squandered WWE's roster is.

I bet the dude that Mox will still be a Megastar a year from now and that AEW will be meeting or eclipsing TNA's peak in tangible business i.e ratings and buys. I'm very confident in that bet.

The fact that someone can watch what Mox is doing and claim it's all just a function of short term buzz that will fade and that he's not actually that talented and that Vince made both Mox and Rollins boggles my loving mind though.

Yeah, that's a pretty reasonable list for a pretty unreasonable position. You do you, weird internet wrestling dude.

I have never understood people not seeing star power in Moxley. It was insane when he was in the WWE and making serviceable work out of houseplants, it's particularly insane now.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty reasonable list for a pretty unreasonable position. You do you, weird internet wrestling dude.

I have never understood people not seeing star power in Moxley. It was insane when he was in the WWE and making serviceable work out of houseplants, it's particularly insane now.

This same dude is also insisting, however, that Brock is an "elite heel" and they got the belt off Seth because he was a flop to get someone else beating Brock, likely Roman, and that it's smart.

Yeah because that worked the first time.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Seth's reign being a flop is absolutely true.

The problem is that the biggest reason it's a flop will also be there for whoever beats Brock.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Roman is 100% gonna be the guy that gets that belt off Lesnar.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

TTBF posted:

Roman is 100% gonna be the guy that gets that belt off Lesnar.

Yeah that’s not even a question at this point.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

why yall talking about bad wrestling in the good wrestling thread

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IDONTPOST posted:

why yall talking about bad wrestling in the good wrestling thread

Sorry, I brought it up specifically because this dude was poo poo talking AEW (and Mox in particular) while defending Vince.

I literally couldn't fathom it and I posted it here because most of the smart people don't really post in the WWE threads anymore. :v:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This same dude is also insisting, however, that Brock is an "elite heel" and they got the belt off Seth because he was a flop to get someone else beating Brock, likely Roman, and that it's smart.

Yeah because that worked the first time.

I've run out of fingers to work out what crowning of Roman this would be

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

I've run out of fingers to work out what crowning of Roman this would be

This cat is seriously trying to tell me that it's more likely that Vince is playing Twelfth Dimensional Chess and Brock is actually good for business rather than that Brock v. Roman was go away heat and Vince has just lost the plot.

Anyway to get back to AEW, what do you guys reckon All Out will do in terms of buyrate?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Anyway to get back to AEW, what do you guys reckon All Out will do in terms of buyrate?

Did the numbers ever actually officially come out for Double or Nothing? I recall hearing something like 100k? Which if true would have been considered a gigantic success?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Did the numbers ever actually officially come out for Double or Nothing? I recall hearing something like 100k? Which if true would have been considered a gigantic success?

98k. And yes. Haters are arguing that's only because it's shiny and new and will crater once TV starts!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If All Out matches the I think 113k of Double or Nothing, that'll be great news.

That said, I don't think these last two shows did a good job of selling All Out, so I'm gonna pull a number out of my rear end expect in the 80k range.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I have no idea what a weekly show would look like at this point. I don't even know what All Out is going to look like. Is All Out going to be like these free shows in terms of tone and quality? Or is it going to be closer to Double or Nothing which had a more serious tone?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TTBF posted:

I have no idea what a weekly show would look like at this point. I don't even know what All Out is going to look like. Is All Out going to be like these free shows in terms of tone and quality? Or is it going to be closer to Double or Nothing which had a more serious tone?

I'll tell you right now I think AO will be much more like DoN. Which, good.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

TTBF posted:

All Out is gonna be a full-on PPV with the $50 price -- these free shows were basically a trial offer for BR Live subscribers.

And considering that All Out is a) the de facto anniversary show for AEW, at the same building as All In, b) crowning their first champion, and c)presumably having Omega/Mox, it's a very safe bet that they're taking it seriously. I'm not worried about that show drawing buys.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i just really wish the bucks would learn how to do a different kind of match tbh

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

at least they've moved on from matt getting a back injury that crops up inconveniently during the double sharpshooter spot

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i came into here to say i don't like the young bucks. but there is a negative post about them already as the last post. it was a coincidence

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Yong Bucks and Kenny haven't impressed me at all yet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

People who don't like The Young Bucks should just think of them as a delivery system for getting The Lucha Bros on more shows.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The biggest problem of Young Bucks is that they do good matches, but they make other people (even in other matches) look good.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

People who don't like The Young Bucks should just think of them as a delivery system for getting The Lucha Bros on more shows.

give me lucha bros vs best friends, cowards.

e: gently caress that give me lucha bros vs gentleman's club, i want to see penta react to orange

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
orange cassidy really is zero fear.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

orange cassidy really is zero fear.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sinzhq/status/1133480690786426882

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i think my favorite part of both of these clips is orange's very very very tiny thigh slap for the superkick after that DEVASTATING combination

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Benne posted:

At this point you could probably argue that Chinsuke Nakamura is a better worker than 2019 Shinsuke Nakamura and not sound like a crazy person

It's been this way longer than 2019 tbh

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
i keep getting juice robinson and orange cassidy mixed up in my head. as far as im concerned they're the same person.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Seams posted:

i keep getting juice robinson and orange cassidy mixed up in my head. as far as im concerned they're the same person.

there is a slight difference in their fighting styles

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

lost my old email posted:

there is a slight difference in their fighting styles

Agreed. Cassidy has a much more brutal striking style and better hair.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The problem with the bucks vs rhodes match is instead of doing what they get over with they tried to do the boring poo poo people stopped caring about decades ago. Invariably the matches that get over are the up tempo matches with memorable spots and another midnight express tribute act is just going to kill the crowd.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
orange Cassidy's gimmick is that he's extremely hungover at all times right

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Reading this thread and discovering people didn't like Rhodes/Bucks is breaking my brain

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Jackie D posted:

Reading this thread and discovering people didn't like Rhodes/Bucks is breaking my brain

same

EDIT: I liked pretty much every match because every match felt different and had different energy and as a total card I think it worked really well

EDIT 2 The Editing: I think too many people look at Fight for the Fallen as armchair bookers than as fans

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 15, 2019

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Rhodes / Bucks was a good match.

The six-way, SCU/Lucha Bros, and Omega/Cima were insane matches though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
SCU really needs a win because I don't think they have won anything yet