Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will AEW survive the year?
This poll is closed.
Yes 102 47.66%
No 17 7.94%
Yes after TNA buys it 95 44.39%
Total: 214 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So Evil Uno has a, uh, unique body shape. Like a 80s jobber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Davros1 posted:

So Evil Uno has a, uh, unique body shape. Like a 80s jobber.

Yeah he rules.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

That's a microphone

That's go to know.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
It's nice to see all the heat from this show going to people besides the Librarians.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DM Punk posted:

It's nice to see all the heat from this show going to people besides the Librarians.

hell the librarians might have been the most successful part of the show

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

DM Punk posted:

Less good when its going to Their First Big Thing and commentator rather than an opening gimmick jobber

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Yeah after Britt was concussed early on by Bea she really should have been either removed from the match somehow or at least had her match time lowered and instead she took a bunch more offense to her head. I'm not sure if AEW doesn't have ringside doctors like WWE does but no one seemed to check on her in that match.

Ganso Bomb posted:

It's just a kick that happens like 100 times in a match. It doesn't look any different than any other time someone stomps someone, but obviously it is. I figured it'd have happened on a more wild looking kick but it always seems like it's the basic/freak things where a lot of injuries happen.

Usually when a kick like that happens in a match they don't connect to the head in such a forceful manner to a person looking away. I'm sure Bea was aiming for Britt's shoulder and just messed it up a little but as soon as I saw that kick live I knew something was probably wrong. When you see someones neck snap to the side like that from the impact thats not a natural sell.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 14, 2019

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hell the librarians might have been the most successful part of the show

I get real York Foundation vibes from those two.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

DM Punk posted:

i love the librarians now

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Librarians remind me of a golden era WWF gimmick and I think it's starting to work. The crowd shushing during the Page/Jericho brawl because Avalon ran out was fantastic.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It'll work more for me if Avalon is doing the wrestling. Leva is just so God drat bad and a terrible actor, so her being on my TV ruins whatever is happening. I wonder why they didn't go with Veda Scott. I feel like she could do this gimmick way better.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

It'll work more for me if Avalon is doing the wrestling. Leva is just so God drat bad and a terrible actor, so her being on my TV ruins whatever is happening. I wonder why they didn't go with Veda Scott. I feel like she could do this gimmick way better.

Vedas not in the US as much cause she's always traveling with Speedball Bailey so maybe her availability was a factor. Plus, Cody just really likes Leva and has for a while.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

It feels to me like the plan has always been to have Jericho win at All Out but I'm surprised they haven't done a little more to make Page look credible. Maybe they should have had him in a singles match at Fyter Fest or had him face someone a little more credible tonight.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I started watching FftF and the audio is unlistenable. Changes pitch every few seconds, skips a little every minute or so. Absolutely garbage. Not sure if it's a problem with the show or with the fite.tv replay video specifically

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

I started watching FftF and the audio is unlistenable. Changes pitch every few seconds, skips a little every minute or so. Absolutely garbage. Not sure if it's a problem with the show or with the fite.tv replay video specifically

I watched it on Fite.tv live and there were zero issues like that (some weird poo poo happened with Closed Captioning on every platform during the pre-show though).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

It was fine on Bleacher.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I sent them an email and found a different means of watching it, thank you folks

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

DM Punk posted:

Well when you put it like that

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MJF pulled from tonight's Inspire Pro card due to an elbow injury suffered at Fight for the Fallen https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1113543-mjf-elbow-injury-aew-appearance

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Excaluibur is really good
Sonny Kiss is fine af

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

jesus WEP posted:

I started watching FftF and the audio is unlistenable.

I actually thought Marvez was better on this show.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

The_Rob posted:

Yeah he rules.

Uno is so good. I'm sure I'm super biased because I loved his old video game schtick and I've chatted with him on facebook and he's been very nice, but he's loving awesome. Seen him wrestle live a few times, that 80's bod makes for some spectacular sounding bumps. And he just seems like he's developed really great timing and instincts over the years.

I agree with much of the criticism on Page as a potential top guy, I hope Jericho takes the belt first. I don't think his gimmick helps, since it's more of just an aesthetic than an actual gimmick. Like, he's sort of a cow boy, but doesn't actually do any cow boy stuff. Not to say that he should be riding a horse out to the ring or anything, just that the way he's presented now he needs a much more oversized personality to really connect with new viewers.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Thoughts from FFTF:

- Marvez wasn't great or anything but he was better than he was at DON and the way you all piled on him in the GDT was super weird

- I told you guys that the Librarian gimmick was over. Avalon getting shushes for interrupting the brawl showed it's got legs.

- Sonny Kiss is awesome and I guess I'm into guys now?? lol jk, SANADA/Finn 4ever

- I had no idea who Shoko was but now I'm amazed by BIG KAIJUUUUU

- 6 man tag ruled, did a great job showing off the midcard

- A Boy And His Dinosaur are amazing both in and out of the ring. There's a really neat bit at the end of the show where Jungle Boy is picking up all the money on the floor until Luchasaurus shakes his head at him so he stuffs it all into his pants :D

- I'm also very here for Angelico/Evans's acid raver thing, especially when they play up the dumb stoner side of it

- Hangman really got screwed over by the PAC situation and having to play a bum leg for every single show. Sucks for All Out but he'll be fine longterm.

- Omega/CIMA was MOTN and I really hope CIMA gets a decent role on the card once they get TV

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching the card again im not so sure about their roster
Allie is bad
Sonny Kiss isnt very good
Brandi shouldnt wrestle
Britt Baker poor woman who got concussed but Bea and the Yoshis are more entertaining
Narvaez got really creepy whenever there were women on the screen. stick him on vídeos and or backstage

Adam Page isnt ready to be world Champion

MJF should be pushed more

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Marvez I think would be better suited in a mean gene/Jeremy borash role, doing ringside interviews and backstage correspondance and video packages and such.

but they have that one lady who is constantly experiencing sexual gratification while interviewing who is much more entertaining to watch.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

coconono posted:

but they have that one lady who is constantly experiencing sexual gratification while interviewing who is much more entertaining to watch.

you can have...two people.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Lean into everyone hating him and make him AEW's Ariel Helwani

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Didn't see news from any of the media scrums mentioned (a lot of content to view this weekend in general, I get it), so:

Brandi was asked about Scarlett Bordeaux. Says she likes her, and just because someone isn't signed there "yet" doesn't mean the door's closed on them for good
Dustin's not booked for All Out, already has a prior engagement scheduled anyway
Khan says there will be announcements on the TV stuff before All Out
Cody says their big non-TV events will usually not be this long, but he's glad that everyone was so engaged they didn't really leave despite the length
Jericho's promo was unscripted. First one he got to come up with entirely by himself in two decades

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

MJF pulled from tonight's Inspire Pro card due to an elbow injury suffered at Fight for the Fallen https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1113543-mjf-elbow-injury-aew-appearance

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1150512071580274688

https://twitter.com/ChrisVanVliet/status/1150507641740955649

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I just watched FFTF and am ready to give my official review:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Uncle Ulty posted:

I'm on board with the Librarians partly because I just learned that Peter Avalon held the SoCal Pro Wrestling Tag Team Titles with our own former SomethingAwful Dot Com poster Nick Lovin.
Whatever happened to Nick Lovin?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

I feel like I’m an idiot because Britt is tweeting that she tended to a concussed coworker but she was concussed??

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

fart blood posted:

I feel like I’m an idiot because Britt is tweeting that she tended to a concussed coworker but she was concussed??

Aubrey Edwards was tweeting that she hurriedly left the venue and lost an earring, Britt is elaborating that Aubrey left the venue to take care of a concussed coworker (Britt).

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Rarity posted:

Thoughts from FFTF:
- Sonny Kiss is awesome and I guess I'm into guys now?? lol jk, SANADA/Finn 4ever

loving :lol: at the very idea of not being into Sonny Kiss, what's next not being into Kota Ibushi!?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

This thread eventually goes sideways, but the first couple really sum up the primary issue with Marvez:

https://twitter.com/rosswbermaniv/status/1150249219430727683?s=21

Just get Perd Hapley to replace him. He's at least charismatic.

Power Windows posted:

Just realized this show had a Perry and a Priestley.

One teamed up with a giant lizard and the other teamed up with a kaiju.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm sorry for what i done in here. i feel very bad about it. posting when you are sleepy and mad is not something everyone can do and i have to start respecting that about myself. i do have limits, and i wont attempt to cross them again. if any one had the g1 climax tournament spoiled for them because of me then speak now if you would like a more personal apology than this, for the sake of showing sincerity

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Alex Marbles has done his research and found some things to say that are "interesting," he just shouldn't be saying them during matches.

I want him to do a segment where he interview wrestlers and tells them interesting facts about their opponents while they sit there and go "oh greek? okay. uhhh...." like a low-energy Space Ghost interview or something.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/cd907w/alex_marvez_fight_for_the_fallen_superbad/

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

whoooa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

He's better than literally the entire WWE team. :colbert: