Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will AEW survive the year?
This poll is closed.
Yes 102 47.66%
No 17 7.94%
Yes after TNA buys it 95 44.39%
Total: 214 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I really enjoyed the whole show. The only match I wasn’t into was Brandi vs Allie, but that wasn’t a bad match at all. I actually thought kip vs page was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

DLC Inc posted:

the women's matches have been iffy since it feels like they're still learning how to work with each other. This though

idk how Dawson can throw shade at what is the best tag team division right now + being booked to loving lose constantly in non-tag matches which makes them look like geeks. but hey im sure the tag team main events tonight will be fire lol

I mean he’s clearly joking and has his tongue planted firmly in his cheek.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

DLC Inc posted:

I was disappointed the Dark Order didn't use their gimps to help win the match. They're supposed to be a big legion, why not use them

They didn’t need to cause they won

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Davros1 posted:

So Evil Uno has a, uh, unique body shape. Like a 80s jobber.

Yeah he rules.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LividLiquid posted:

Whatever happened to Nick Lovin?

I used to hang out with him a lot. He’s on my Facebook. He still wrestles locally in San Diego.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LividLiquid posted:

Follow-up question: when is Nick Lovin' going All In?

Who says that he didn’t already?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

TTBF posted:

Roman is 100% gonna be the guy that gets that belt off Lesnar.

Yeah that’s not even a question at this point.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

STAC Goat posted:

I think AEW probably needs to learn that not every match needs to be a 20 minute back and forth. The tag matches have more buzz in that format at least in part because there's more guys and more action to keep things interesting. But something like Page/Sabian just drags and even sort of takes away from Omega/CIMA a bit (at least to me). And the guys in the 6 man match probably got over more as singles stars in their tag match because they could all show who they are and what they have to offer without wearing out or dragging too long.

But hopefully the practical limits of TV help them there.

Yeah all the shows so far have been ppv style shows that’s why they have been longer matches I think. Once tv starts I’m sure the matches will be much shorter.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

lost my old email posted:

for all the poo poo orange cassidy gets about his shtick from certain quarters in my experience* most wrestlers p. much no sell and eye roll at his entertaining nonsense. i think his gimmick might even be good, actually

*posted youtube vids i did not explicitly seek out

I posted the match before but look up his match against David Starr In Beyond. The whole match is Starr eyerolling Cassidy’s gimmick but getting caught off guard when he keeps fighting back and giving him a hard fought match.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

DLC Inc posted:

Orange Cassidy/Chris Jericho feud wherein Jericho gets more and more pissed at how little OC cares about the opportunity to face him

gently caress I really want to see this. It better happen.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Incessant Excess posted:

Guess it remains to be seen how they'll manage with long term booking but I feel like FftF was not the night to pin Allin. Dude had a bit of momentum from the draw with Cody and was pretty over with the crowd on the show.

Yeah when Allin and Shawn Spears we’re staring each other down the crowd was going nuts for it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Colt is MJF’s dad so he’s allowed to critique.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCikfJmTMp8

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jonny Nox posted:

Medieval History, lol.

Of course he became a wrestler.

Imagine being a tall buff nerd who gets to wrestle as a dinosaur. He’s a true aspirational story imo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
If anyone lives in Southern California the Dark Order are wrestling the best friends at PWG and general tickets are still available.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Evil unos gear rules. He looks like a throwback monster and it’s cool.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Dark order is good. Everyone saying they’re bad are wrong.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
That Hangman promo ruled. Ripping out your stitches is a cool rear end move.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LividLiquid posted:

Was that Tully loving Blanchard?

Yeah that was truly a cool reveal.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I love the recap footage. In fact I’d watch an entire hour of just slow motion wrestling footage.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

cams posted:

tbh aew's in-ring stuff has been mediocre across the board, to the point that it has me discouraged about the product overall.

That is objectively not true.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Imagine getting upset that wrestlers are corny.

It’s wrestling.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

boar guy posted:

i am pretty clearly teeth-grittingly upset, here

Even when I was typing it I felt like upset was the wrong word. Still though, it’s wrestling. Shits corny.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

boar guy posted:

there's corny and there's trying too hard and what i get from scu is trying too hard. i like scorpio sky though

They aren’t trying to hard though. The fans pop hard for them. They’re over, pretty effortlessly too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I love that shirt. It looks like a weirdo shirt from 1991 at some theme park.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My favorite thing about Moxley in NJPW is that it really does highlight how terrible wwe was with him. And if they allowed him to just do cool poo poo they would have had a huge star on their hands.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

RealFoxy posted:

AEW shouldn't skimp on theme songs and should try and license as much mainstream stuff as they can, because it's one thing that WWE really lacks that they could capitalize on. Most of the main roster WWE music is either the CFO$ bad covers of a popular song or just generic buttrock with a couple stand-outs.

If Networks are shilling out big dollars for live TV like wrestling, they should shill out a bit more and license real music, especially networks that already pay money for Baseball or Basketball that have real music on them. Riho and Yuka Sakazaki have their own themes, that's fine, and Cody's fits his character pretty well but hearing Dustin's Brain Stew rip-off is kind of embarrassing and most other themes are forgettable.

For a while NXT was pretty good at teaching the character aspect of wrestling, and you could see people like Asuka who were already pretty charismatic improve leaps and bounds over time. It'd also be funny probably only to me for Kylie Rae in AEW coming out to Die Young by Kesha or Good Time by Carly/Owl City while her WWE counterpart comes out to the CFO ripoff

I personally prefer original entrance music to licensed music. Like stone colds music for example is just so drat iconic. Sometimes though certain wrestlers need that licensed song. I would give anything to hear Daniel Bryan come out to the final countdown again. I like how AEW is doing it though. omega getting a YouTube famous dude to do his music, and Darby Allen getting a real band for his as well. Honestly what it comes down to is just allowing the wrestlers to have some control over their characters.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

RealFoxy posted:

If the theme fits the character, I'm totally fine with that. I mentioned earlier Asuka's theme, I'd followed her for years before she signed but when she got the 21st Century Schizoid Man knockoff I can't imagine her with anything else anymore, everything just clicked. Finn Balor's another great example, everything about the theme just fits him, both as Balor and the Demon.

On the flip side, there's guys like Oney Lorcan who I can't imagine with anything but Bro Hymn by Pennywise and would probably be a lot more over with it.

Oh totally. And them doing a bro hymn knock off for his theme music really doesn’t help. Singing along with Bro Hymn at PWG shows was so much drat fun too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think they want to try and stay in good with Indies as well because seeing that they don’t have a developmental company or anything that’s probably where they will be scouting talent. So you do want to allow guys to work other shows so the relationship can be mutually beneficial, but yeah they need to figure this stuff out.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Pretty sure PWG is running Best Friends vs. Dark Order like two weeks before All Out.

Yeah it’s this Friday and I got front row seats.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I have a feeling PWG is going to be used as a low key developmental league for AEW. It allows dudes to work stuff out before tv, it allows PWG to keep using big names, and it doesn’t broadcast anywhere. I don’t think it will be primarily that but it seems like it would be mutually beneficial. PWG already has a rotating roster too so losing names doesn’t really hurt them.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Dango Bango posted:

A little late, but the Bucks' promo in the latest BTE video did absolutely nothing for me. Especially Matt saying "zero meerdo" over and over again.

I liked it. It was simple and to the point. And I mean him repeating Pentagons thing was him making fun of Penta for saying it constantly. He even mentions it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

HouseOfLeaves99 posted:

One week ago in a trios match, members of one team had some subtle issues.

Now, Janela v Darby v Havok at All Out set up with a 60 second video.

Is it really this easy?

That’s always the funniest part about WWE. They over complicate literally every aspect of wrestling when at the end of the day all you need is a quick basic set up.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
It’s sad that Because of wwe a guy caring about winning is a novel concept.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I’m glad that it’s so soon after All Out so they can continue the momentum

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

NienNunb posted:

Y’all smoke weed?

Watching wrestling while high out of your mind is one of life’s greatest pleasures.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Drew McIntyre posted:

he would buy kits and not just sets of random pieces, that's all i remember. he's 5'3 and he said "do i look like a wrestler?" when i asked him

I’m laughing at this guy just being some random short bearded guy who just wants to buy some LEGO and just keeps getting asked if he’s a C level Indy wrestler.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tomahawk posted:

What is the reason in 2019 for not doing a live iPPV

It been mentioned so so many times but if they did a PPV they wouldn’t be allowed to use a good chunk of the talent based on contractual things. It also keeps their overhead low. It also doesn’t need to happen. If you want to see it watch the dvd. If you’re in the area go live. It’s not that crazy of a concept.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Lone Goat posted:

because they want to see it

Buy the blu Ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

This is the best gimmick

The pop he got when he came out at PWG last night was huge. People love him.