Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

LividLiquid posted:

Booker T. and Goldust were an extremely exploitative team built around a macho black dude being weirded out by a queer character which, later, pivoted to a tourettes gimmick that overpowered the racism and homophobia with ableism. This isn't a great example until you remember that absent Booker T., years later, Vince teamed R-Truth with Dustin because, again, one's as good as another, right?

They flipped the script on it and had Goldust be the one getting weirded out instead, but remember that Goldust got teamed up with Alicia Fox in the first Mixed Match Challenge, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Totes. That more seems like performers and writers making the best of a bad situation, which brings me back to the original New Day point nicely, really.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Gumball Gumption posted:

We're overly negative but also who cares about a good match inside of a vacuum these days? This weekend was full of good matches with interesting stories that made you want to keep watching. None of those matches have an interesting build, they're just things that happened. That's really not enough to be good these days.

Ironically with this post you've encapsulated why I've been having a hard time getting really interested in AEW. Lots of impressive matches but none of them really seem to have any story or sense of importance.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I felt that a little with Fight for the Fallen. There are stories there for most of those matches but they're struggling a bit with getting them across without weekly TV. I assume TV and time will help. G1 is still easily the best wrestling this weekend.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

ShakeZula posted:

Ironically with this post you've encapsulated why I've been having a hard time getting really interested in AEW. Lots of impressive matches but none of them really seem to have any story or sense of importance.

Do you catch up with their youtube videos? A lot of promos and backstory gets done there.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

LividLiquid posted:

On the website, not written by a writer, won't mean anything, and WWE doesn't deserve Bryan Danielson.

When's his contract up and is Brie still doing Total Bellas? Because the only way I see him re-signing is to be a team player for his wife.

His contract was up in like last September and he re-signed for a poo poo load of money.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

To the SummerSlam pre show, baby.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

TV Zombie posted:

So is Bray's gimmick dead? Did anyone see puppets out and about in the background?

Wouldn't be surprised if they pull Bischoff's favorite booking, where Bray comes out dressed as his new gimmick, looking really pissed off, and then cuts a promo talking about much he hated his original gimmick, and how stupid this new gimmick is, and that he's sick of gimmicks, and is going to kick rear end under his real name from now on.

And then he gets jobbed out, and just never shows up on TV again.

I think I've seen Goldust cut this exact promo like, 4 times.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rovert posted:

The finish itself protected Lacey too - she walked out and didn't take the fall.

I really dug that shot of her in the background seeing Corbin was hosed and clearly thinking,"Well I don't give a poo poo about him and I'm not getting in Seth's path" and just getting the gently caress out of there. It's a shame that Seth/Becky don't have any real on-screen chemistry together (this is regardless of whatever their personal/real life chemistry might be like) because it was clearly designed to showcase the difference between Corbin/Lacey's partnership of convenience and what is meant to be Seth and Becky's deeper personal connection.

The Drew rising up into the frame behind Undertaker shot was also really loving good. I wish WWE was more that type of stuff.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

TV Zombie posted:

Do you catch up with their youtube videos? A lot of promos and backstory gets done there.

I really like AEW but it's incredibly irritating to slog through their videos which feel like 10-minute long tiktok videos in production quality and humor for storylines

The Road To... videos are getting better at least

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Strawberry Panda posted:

His contract was up in like last September and he re-signed for a poo poo load of money.
Before AEW was a thing, and while Total Bellas was. I definitely get it.

I hope his was before the five-year deals became standard and I'm glad he god paid.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

Oh, there's Lacey's charisma! :v:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The joshi match at ddt its better that every woman match in the WWE since their Womens Revolution crap

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

TV Zombie posted:

That's precisely a lot of fans problem - they don't want to watch 20 episodes of BTE before they can watch an AEW show (I find the format of BTE nigh un-watchable as it is). Like I'm told Adam Page has a personality, and there's a reason for these awful librarians, but right now it's just not established enough.

Like how WWE brings people up from developmental but doesn't show character to the audience. Heavy Machinery and Lacey are rare exceptions.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I make it a general rule that I should not have to do homework for you to tell me a story. I shouldn't have to know the prequel comic or the expanded universe novel or the web series to "get" the actual show in front of my face.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Well at least having TV soon should help develop storylines and such for the AEW watching audience going forward. What do you find unwatchable about the videos? Having to go to multiple channels to get a sense of storylines or the video production/acting?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I actually very rarely watch any of the BTE stuff and I've found the majority of the time everything either makes sense or is there a clear context for it. I'm completely loving baffled by the Librarians though.

Edit: poo poo, this isn't the AEW thread, sorry!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DM Punk posted:

Tomorrow is the 5 year anniversary of New Day becoming a team. And they are

1) Still together
2) All champions

Pretty neat.
Weird how their unity, their.... "union" if you will.... gave them a collective strength and power they would have otherwise not had if dealing with WWE's management on an individual basis. :thunk:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

ShakeZula posted:

They’ve all been building up stories. Even if you ignore the YouTube stuff. Omega vs Moxley is building up. Last night during the six man tag they were building like 4 different stories at once. You have the dark order challenging the best friends. Double or nothing had one of the most story focused matches of Cody vs Dustin.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Before AEW was a thing, and while Total Bellas was. I definitely get it.

I hope his was before the five-year deals became standard and I'm glad he god paid.

Yeah I think it was only for three years. So he can reevaluate in 2021 and get paid a poo poo load more money.

Also, the Goldust being paired up with black wrestlers all the time has me thinking this was a Vince rib on Dusty.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's insane that in the last few years the only person to actually beat Brock clean without a bunch of outside bullshit is Goldberg. How do you fail to make one credible babyface to take on a monster hill for four years straight?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
so from Bryan Alvarez a few months ago Vince saw a clip of a Canadian Destroyer and said why arent they doing cool poo poo on his show, was told because he had banned piledrivers, so he has allowed the Canadian Destroyer

also why brainbusters are back

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JT Smiley posted:

It's insane that in the last few years the only person to actually beat Brock clean without a bunch of outside bullshit is Goldberg. How do you fail to make one credible babyface to take on a monster hill for four years straight?

Vince: I made one but everybody was wrong and incorrectly didn't accept that he was their favorite! :mad:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Lid posted:

so from Bryan Alvarez a few months ago Vince saw a clip of a Canadian Destroyer and said why arent they doing cool poo poo on his show, was told because he had banned piledrivers, so he has allowed the Canadian Destroyer

also why brainbusters are back

arn was fired and we don't make jokes about it, mister

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

im so done with the new day, they have been the same act for at least the last two years.

You think nazi imagery is cool, got really defensive of a Conservative white woman, and now this. Hmm

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

extreme rules sucked a lot of rear end outside of daniel bryan promo posted only on social media

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I only read results and thought "huh, sounds like they booked spectacle over story to pop ratings and get people talking, but people probably at least liked the show"

lol oh well

Is Kofi now technically a tag team champion as well?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

GrimGypsy posted:

I only read results and thought "huh, sounds like they booked spectacle over story to pop ratings and get people talking, but people probably at least liked the show"

lol oh well

Is Kofi now technically a tag team champion as well?

I guess he is since they free bird the tag belts.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

That was dumb.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Strawberry Panda posted:

I guess he is since they free bird the tag belts.

I got the impression that they've very much differentiated New Day the stable from New Day the tag team since Kofi became the WWE Champion. There didn't seem to be any suggestion from any of them or WWE itself that BIG E and Xavier would be rotating Kofi in and out of the tag team championship like they did in the past.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I officially encountered The Biggest Vince Stan on Twitter and I feel dumber having engaged with him.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It'd be cool if they continued the freebird rule or have a trios match and then one day Kofi is in and gets pinned and the person who pinned him gets a shot at the WWE title.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

Vince: I made one but everybody was wrong and incorrectly didn't accept that he was their favorite! :mad:

Even that dude needed a distraction to beat Brock, which is perhaps the most insane result of them all.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Becky taking that End of Days is one of my favorite spots of all time. So much emotion in the story, and she took it better than a lot of men have in the past. The move by itself is loving sick, Becky taking it made it that much better. Michael Cole deserves a Promotion just for this incredibly intensity he added to the spot. I feel the A+ camera work after that End of Days needs more attention here. The pan from Seth's blank, inconceivable face to Corbin's malice smirk was just perfect. And Corbin is working is rear end off. Stop hating him for no reason. You guys are being worked. Baron and Seth both played this amazing. And I honestly feel if they put the belt on Corbin after that it would've been the dawn of the next truly great heel of our era. Baron did amazing, unappreciated heel work over the past 3 months. Never, ever trying to get himself over and just getting as much heat on himself as possible.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dimebags Brain posted:

Becky taking that End of Days is one of my favorite spots of all time. So much emotion in the story, and she took it better than a lot of men have in the past. The move by itself is loving sick, Becky taking it made it that much better. Michael Cole deserves a Promotion just for this incredibly intensity he added to the spot. I feel the A+ camera work after that End of Days needs more attention here. The pan from Seth's blank, inconceivable face to Corbin's malice smirk was just perfect. And Corbin is working is rear end off. Stop hating him for no reason. You guys are being worked. Baron and Seth both played this amazing. And I honestly feel if they put the belt on Corbin after that it would've been the dawn of the next truly great heel of our era. Baron did amazing, unappreciated heel work over the past 3 months. Never, ever trying to get himself over and just getting as much heat on himself as possible.

Can people not do this poo poo? We have a thread for this. It's obnoxious and not really clever.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Can people not do this poo poo? We have a thread for this. It's obnoxious and not really clever.

he's being sincere

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I would never post a joke (or as I call ‘em, goofs).

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Wait, I’m super depressed was that a good show and I just couldn’t see it?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

SamuraiFoochs posted:

baron corbin is insanely good and always has been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

The Stroker Ace posted:

Wait, I’m super depressed was that a good show and I just couldn’t see it?

no the show was actually bad, it wasn't your depression