Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm the default IT person at a small law office, though I'm supposed to just be an accountant. We have a guy who purports to be an IT worker who comes by occasionally, but spends more time guessing and googling than fixing things.

We have an ancient FD200 card reader that was working fine for the first couple months that I've been here, but recently keeps running in to an internet timeout error whether connected via VOIP or ethernet lines. It still does process payments some of the time, but it's incredibly unreliable. We'll unplug it and reboot, and I ran an update the other day, hoping that would fix the problem. It didn't.

As far as I know, we have no connection issues over here, and the fact that it works some of the time leads me to think that it's the machine. But I'm a little limited with resources, so I want to know for sure before trying to replace it. Is there any way I can figure that out myself, or that I can ask the IT guy, or does it sound like we should just swap out machines? I was looking at FDMS' Clover reader, but got to figure out the issue first.

e: whoops, where did my Help tag go?

e: Solved the issue, then resigned, then was fired before I could resign

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try connecting another device/laptop onto the Ethernet cable used by the FD200 when it's having the timeout error. If the other device connects okay that means at least that the network/cables are functioning.

It's probably the device failing but there's a chance some failing network equipment (or odd network settings) is preventing communication at times. This would depend on the network structure and how many switches/routers etc. are being used. Make sure any managed switches/routers are using the latest firmware. Or if it's just connected to a gateway (router and modem in one) from an ISP then make sure it's the latest model the ISP offers.