Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

https://twitter.com/nancywyuen/status/1150400196821413888

It's about time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Oh can't wait for the Dads of Facebook to find out about this news!

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MaoistBanker posted:

What's the self-insert fantasy for middle aged dudes now that 007 is out and Liam Neeson's not making Taken films anymore?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
replace all white men with black women. this is unironically my 2020 platform.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

BuckarooBanzai posted:

What's the self-insert fantasy for middle aged dudes now that 007 is out and Liam Neeson's not making Taken films anymore?

a Trump-Bannon-Limbaugh Cerberus of adult diaper smells and impotence.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MaoistBanker posted:

yeah theres gonna be some epic meltdowns lol

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

MaoistBanker posted:

https://twitter.com/LeMasterPlan/st...genumber%3D1182

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

If it's Mads Mikkelsen doing it, then hell, same.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
ill never get over the fact that ben shapiro actually exists

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Chinatown posted:

ill never get over the fact that ben shapiro actually exists

neither will he, apparently.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I always wanted Brock Lesnar as 007. I think he'd be a perfect fit. Also give him a cyborg arm.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Bond is a much better series if you imagine "James Bond 007" is a cover identity rather than a specific person.

I'm looking forward to this. Although I also think it would have been cool to see Naomie Harris go from being Miss Moneypenny to Bond, but this is cool too and I'm excited to see the swap-over scene that will supposedly be in Bond 25

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

make james bond gay but hes still a piece of poo poo and he prays on twinks instead of women though

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Girl-Bond should pick up unwitting dudes like ScarJo in Under The Skin

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

numberoneposter posted:

make james bond gay but hes still a piece of poo poo and he prays on twinks instead of women though

I’ve been pushing for this for years

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

also james bond should be terry crews

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Idris Elba was born to play 007 and every Bond movie made without him is a sin.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Julius CSAR posted:

Bond is a much better series if you imagine "James Bond 007" is a cover identity rather than a specific person.

I actually thought it WAS this, or at least was intentionally left up to you not to really know that it's the same dude.
I would have figured having a person of color, specifically a woman, step into the role they would have kept the name if they're keeping the agent number

Not to get TOO geeky, but I thought agents got assigned names and numbers based on when they're assigned to the active roster, so you're 007 Bond. And then you get killed 10 years later after a few other agents have come on board and the next person is 010 Smith when he fills in for you or whatever. Having her still be 007 but change the name seems out of line.

Then again it's a spy movie about supercars that have oil slick guns in the trunk and laser saws on the moon so maybe I'll just let that one go yeah?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I hope she's gay.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

More like, Jamie Bond 007

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Brava

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

A woman can be Mr. Bond too, open your minds people.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
This might be really cool because it’s a somewhat blank slate for a character. Daniel Craig was kind of a snoozer.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Bond and/or 007 is honestly probably one of the best possible candidates for a persistent character that gets recast as a different gender/ethnicity than the original.

Bond has already been played by several different actors. And the series, which has gone over decades, has progressed in real time with the world. The technology and political climate in the movies have updated themselves as the real world turned. And at this point the Bond character xerself has been represented for some long in so many different time periods that one imagines it's a Dread Pirate Roberts scenario where it's actually series of individuals taking over the title (in fact I'm pretty sure there are fan theories to this effect). It makes perfect plausible sense that this is just the next individual in a long line of Bonds. Hell I don't see why it's necessary to say she's just "007" and not Bond. Literally just make her Jane Bond it's fine.

This isn't like they're just randomly remaking Lord of the Rings but all the hobbits are women. This is like the most optimal case for a recast possible.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 15, 2019

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Big Beef City posted:

I actually thought it WAS this, or at least was intentionally left up to you not to really know that it's the same dude.
I would have figured having a person of color, specifically a woman, step into the role they would have kept the name if they're keeping the agent number

Not to get TOO geeky, but I thought agents got assigned names and numbers based on when they're assigned to the active roster, so you're 007 Bond. And then you get killed 10 years later after a few other agents have come on board and the next person is 010 Smith when he fills in for you or whatever. Having her still be 007 but change the name seems out of line.

Then again it's a spy movie about supercars that have oil slick guns in the trunk and laser saws on the moon so maybe I'll just let that one go yeah?

That was kind of my only issue with the Skyfall/Specter story line is that James Bond IS a person (evidenced by the old caretaker recognizing him in Skyfall) but otherwise it was fine

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Big Beef City posted:

Skyfall established Bond's father's name was also Bond so you need to amend your theory to include Bond's father siring multiple generations of spies by boning every woman in the British isles. 25 should reunite every living Bond as a rogues gallery of half sibling former spies (all named James Bond) all living in UK state hospitals with wet brain. It's a metaphor for generational alcoholism.

e: beat me to it

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i really just need a person of a color represented in my stories about conniving western governments

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

I don't think the license retires with the agent, in the movies there have been several 009s

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh yes

Preemptively predicting the first preview for the next 007 film to receive 83.2 million dislikes from the 83,200 babymen whose delicious tears I will collect in champagne glasses

Bro can't u take a joke its' just a joke lol u mad???

Also I see absolutely no reason to change the name, ushering in a glorious era of real life lady-Jameses.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Doctor Who is the most obvious candidate for that technique. His whole thing is he dies and regenerates as a new person every time the previous actor scrams. And it still took them like 65 years to make it anything other than a white man.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Tom Gorman posted:

Doctor Who is the most obvious candidate for that technique. His whole thing is he dies and regenerates as a new person every time the previous actor scrams. And it still took them like 65 years to make it anything other than a white man.
Lots of white men retire at 65, seems legit

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It can't be any worse than Specter. Spectre?

*checks IMDB*

Oh, Craig's in this one too.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

But what if instead of representing a colonialist Western power she instead fights back against one in a clandestine manner

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Manufactured outraged is the most powerful marketing tool ever conceived. Line up and buy our product, don't you know it'll make those people you don't like just so angry.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

i really just need a person of a color represented in my stories about conniving western governments

Seriously isn't James Bond literally a quasi-illegal government assassin?

It's Black Panther all over again

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
brava woc

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Lol if you can’t enjoy James Bond because of your politics

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

counterfeitsaint posted:

Manufactured outraged is the most powerful marketing tool ever conceived. Line up and buy our product, don't you know it'll make those people you don't like just so angry.

:agreed:

It's really annoying and it happens all the time now.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
so is her love interest in the movie going to be named 'Stufen Maidickenya' or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Like, the James Bond is a code name theory makes no sense, when you consider that the character in all the films has the same traits down to having a favourite drink and identical dead Scottish parents, and is always a charming sex obsessed posho with an obsession with tailoring.

People are also reading a lot into this as well, when she may be no more than a throwaway character. A lot of assumptions she'll be the torchbearer when it's never happened in that way before.