Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://www.theopen.com/

We just finished up the Women's World Cup, a number of soccer confederation cups, the Cricket World Cup, and Wimbledon, the latter 2 of which went into double extra overtime. So you can't be faulted for forgetting that there's a major golf competition happening this week, the first time in Northern since 1951 and the second time outside England/Scotland ever.

The club has 2 courses and the one we're playing this week is called Dunluce Links. It's supposed to be quite good. The weather, on the other hand, is gonna be poo poo with temps in the mid 50s to low 60s and rain every day. Winds are expected to be moderate.

Air Times (ET)
Thu/Fri: 1:30 am - 4 pm Golf Channel
Sat/Sun: 4:30 - 7 am Golf Channel; 7 am - 3 pm NBC

That's coverage of every shot of every player, so make sure your Golf Channel/NBC Sports mobile apps are working.

Marquee Tee Times (ET)
TBA

Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes as of 6pm ET Tuesday)
Rory McIlroy 9/1
Brooks Koepka 11/1
Jon Rahm 14/1
Dustin Johnson 18/1
Tiger Woods 18/1
Justin Rose 20/1
Xander Schauffele 25/1
Adam Scott 28/1
Henrik Stenson 28/1
Justin Thomas 28/1
Patrick Cantlay 28/1
Tommy Fleetwood 28/1

Betting Pool
Pick an available player who isn't one of the listed top 10 betting favorites. Best finisher gets :20bux: from everyone else.

Josh Lyman: Matt Kuchar
mattfl: Bubba Watson
DJExile: Francesco Molinari
pmac: Paul Casey
Shrapnig: Graeme McDowell
Keyser_Soze: Matthew Fitzpatrick
Dr. Capco: Jordan Spieth
Anno: Marc Leishman
torgeaux: Phil Mickelson
Big Beef City: Hideki Matsuyama
Kameh: Sergio Garcia

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Gotta go back to my man Bubba for this one!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I got to play Dunluce like 7 years ago and oh my god it is a bear. This oughta be good fun.

Also I'm in scotland this week which should make watching this a blast

I'm going with Molinari

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
I'm excited to gently caress up my sleep schedule! I'll take Paul Casey.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sumbitch, paul casey could be a REALLY good pick

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

How the gently caress is Molinari not in the top 10 in betting?

Gimme G-Mac.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
Molinari has been riding a cold streak since making GBS threads the bed at the Masters but I agree. It seems like he has a better-than-top-10 chance to defend on another difficult course.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Big Moli getting no respect! :italy:

Put me down for Matthew Fitzpatrick please. :britain:

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Gimme Spieth, dudes due for a good major showing.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I'll take Leishman. Seems like a course for a guy who just pures irons all day.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pmac posted:

Molinari has been riding a cold streak since making GBS threads the bed at the Masters but I agree. It seems like he has a better-than-top-10 chance to defend on another difficult course.
Molinari is actually the next person on the odds list.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I was surprised to see that the fairways and greens at Royal Portrush are fescue, and they deliberately give it the bare minimum water and nutrients to prevent poa or other grasses from taking over. I think that’s pretty cool considering the push for less resource-intensive courses here in the US.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Phil, my love.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Open Championship is always the best major.

Hope the weather's poo poo.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Matsuyama.
My :20bux: depending on availability to reach you, of course!

These are...weight bearing hips. Meant for low shots and low scores. ...You understand?

...Shooting irons.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 18, 2019

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Matt Wallace RAFA C. BELLO Sergio. Always and forever El Niño.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 18, 2019

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Ha, Darren Clarke is a member and is -3 after 5. Local knowledge at its best.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spamman posted:

Ha, Darren Clarke is a member and is -3 after 5. Local knowledge at its best.

lol that rules

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
How good are links courses, hit the middle of the fairway and end up in the rough :)

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
aynone got a good stream?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Roku Streaming Stick+ arrived last night but the NBC Sports app freezes on the loading screen. Fortunately my TV has a built in Chromecast so I can cast from the NBC Sports app on my phone, but the whole point of getting the Roku was so I could just navigate with the remote instead of getting my phone involved. loving lame.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Halo14 posted:

How good are links courses, hit the middle of the fairway and end up in the rough :)

I hope it stays windy and dry throughout the tournament. Really test the ability of the players in a risk reward scenario.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Boy, Rory sure didn’t get the start he was hoping for.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

HIdeki looking sharp out there.
Good strong hip action.

Feel that b-a-ss shake baybee

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

guess I'm going to finally have to do the fubo.tv free trial to watch this thing

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

AndrewP posted:

guess I'm going to finally have to do the fubo.tv free trial to watch this thing

you got a gambling addiction.

No one wants to watch this.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

G-Mac you stupid fat gently caress.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lol so much for molinari

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Rory sucks.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger with an incredible Par save at 1

tminz
Jul 1, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

Rory sucks.

I wonder if there is so much money in golf now that a lot of the really talented guys cash in early and then just mail it in.

I think thats why Tiger was so compelling, he blew up early but clearly was obsessed with winning to the point of destroying his body and the rest of his life. I don't get the impression that a guy like Rory is grinding on the range 6 days a week anymore.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

lol nice putt Reed

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Keyser_Soze posted:

Rory sucks.

Media the last week: This could be Rory's moment!
Rory: *Shoots +8*

Presto fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 18, 2019

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tiger Grimace Watch is officially on

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Tiger Grimace Watch is officially on

He's hit 2 excellent shots in a row now. I think the grimace on the first hole was due to bad shot.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tminz posted:

I wonder if there is so much money in golf now that a lot of the really talented guys cash in early and then just mail it in.

I think thats why Tiger was so compelling, he blew up early but clearly was obsessed with winning to the point of destroying his body and the rest of his life. I don't get the impression that a guy like Rory is grinding on the range 6 days a week anymore.
If I was making $25 million/year playing golf in the most beautiful places in the world, I’d enjoy myself and ensure I’m mentally healthy, make sure I don’t burn out.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

If I was making $25 million/year playing golf in the most beautiful places in the world, I’d enjoy myself and ensure I’m mentally healthy, make sure I don’t burn out.

Rory pretty much said in a Feherty interview a few years ago that the money doesn't matter anymore, he has more than he'll ever need. I'm just not sure how much he's enjoying playing golf anymore.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Brooks tied for the lead. He’s gonna win. I should’ve bet more on him.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 18, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tiger making a mess of 7 but also probably hurt his back taking a vicious lash out of the feskew like a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Isn't Rory more of a Florida target point and shoot type hits it a mile high all the time golfer anyway? Sure he won an Open and has Top 20's in a few of them as well as an Irish Open (at the K Club Palmer - a lake filled Florida course) but still.

He's just not a guy that I think can adjust his game too much and all this pressure of a "home event" was just too much and I'm not totally sure why he was such a favorite besides being from nearby. His jet to leave back to Florida is already warming up.

yeah Tiger's grimace was one of a back tweak, I know that look

....Koepka gonna tap these chumps out early.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 18, 2019