Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

honestly i thought it was kind of boring. there were some interesting moments where Adam is playing with a cleaner tone and coming up with some interesting riffs and even a few bits where you can hear Maynard without all the harmonizers and effects and he almost sounds a bit vulnerable. like the first part of "Invincible" i thought was kind of interesting and actually somewhat new for them

but those moments are really brief and most of the album sounds like very "paint by numbers" generic tool riffs that are just dragged out as long as possible

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's VERY GOOD if you only ever listen to Tool though and for some hosed up reason never listened to any other bands in the past decade

i think mainly the album sounds like the band members themselves havent listened to anything but their last two records for the past decade. there's no sign of any kind of newer influences or directions or experiments or anything, its well executed for what it is i guess but it also makes it seem like they havent grown musically during those 13 years at all, its just a rehash

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i thought the weirdest part of the album was the song "baby wants some milk (because he's so thirsty)" where maynard would start crying like a baby and singing about needing milk from his mommy

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

The new album is just more Tool. I figured Maynard would come up with something more interesting considering it took thirteen years but what they gave us is surprisingly back to basics. But I wouldn’t necessarily say that’s a bad thing.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Earwicker posted:

honestly i thought it was kind of boring. there were some interesting moments where Adam is playing with a cleaner tone and coming up with some interesting riffs and even a few bits where you can hear Maynard without all the harmonizers and effects and he almost sounds a bit vulnerable. like the first part of "Invincible" i thought was kind of interesting and actually somewhat new for them

but those moments are really brief and most of the album sounds like very "paint by numbers" generic tool riffs that are just dragged out as long as possible

i think mainly the album sounds like the band members themselves havent listened to anything but their last two records. there's not sign of any kind of newer influences or directions or experiments or anything, its well executed for what it is i guess but it also makes it seem like they havent grown musically during those 13 years at all, its just a rehash

this is similar to my initial read. i kept not finishing songs and picking up later. little playgrounds for adam jones and daniel carey to shred. a little more about ecstatic lysergic jamming. adam in particular is doing a lot more guitar heroics on stuff like 7empest(the obvious highlight). just a lot of soloing for tool songs. nothing here feels "hooky" which i miss

maynard feels phoned in and the effv0x sometimes feel like an attempt to mask. the lyrics are generally pretty important to my emotional connection to this band and i find very little to take seriously and engage with. pretty bad. like poo poo id write in high school. a couple good lines here and there.

chocolate trip song sounds like something you'd do at a drum clinic. pretty fun if you like drums. the drumming in general is pretty fuckin sticky. as usual no one can touch this dude, i'm still trying to drum like him 19 years later. im less into the electronic tabla stuff but whatever. go off.

id disagree more on the "rehash from musicians who havent grown" thing. adam is given a lot more freedom on here and i think he revealed more of his palette. there do seem to be echoes of like, Jambi and Vicarious. some definite 10,000 days guitar tone pops up. the vocals are for better or worse pretty different, which makes sense for a dude getting old and adapting to what he can perform

it had to be a TOOL album for TOOL fans to enjoy after 35 years of waiting, there's a certain framework. i think they found room to play :shrug:

honestly i like it more than i did before writing this post. i did come into it very skeptical being a big tool fan boy since a long time.

one breath,
one word,
let the Orinoco flow.

Brolander fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 1, 2019

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i havent listened to the lyrics very closely but the overall vibe/concept i picked up is "old man uses pseudo-intellectual/spiritual babble to try to talk himself out of his fear of death and imminent bodily/mental decay" which makes sense for where he is at in life i guess but expressed in a kind of cheesy way

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 1, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly every member of TOOL has multiple other musical projects and they’re all very intelligent and creative people. It seems like they just wanted to make another TOOL album and they did that and it’s beating Taylor Swift’s new album so I guess everybody wins!

I don’t think musical acts are required to update their sound and evolve, sometimes just refining the sound and adding some new toys is enough.

Like honestly the worst thing this album could’ve done was to NOT sound like TOOL

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly every member of TOOL has multiple other musical projects and they’re all very intelligent and creative people. It seems like they just wanted to make another TOOL album and they did that and it’s beating Taylor Swift’s new album so I guess everybody wins!

I don’t think musical acts are required to update their sound and evolve, sometimes just refining the sound and adding some new toys is enough.

Like honestly the worst thing this album could’ve done was to NOT sound like TOOL

Bust Rodd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Album bad because Tool is bad.