Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think im really loving gettin the mafia bug lately.

idk if i can handle even the 2 games im in if i dont die early in yam's. but im having so much fun in both of them so sign me up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
filling up fast!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dreamt that i received a role pm for this game and the role was called "hat-bearer" and made no sense.
thanks for listening lol

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah c'mon two more people

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont give lumpy time to balance his setup! lets start now!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh i thought you signed up already for some reason lol

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
first of all, before i read my PM, can you give me a confessional in the discord (aka channel that only me and observers can see)? unless you'd rather me submit actions through sa dms, it'd be nice to use discord

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat this game is gonna be interesting. uhh i dont even know where to start? anybody wanna fullclaim
role and flavor? hah

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squiggly posted:

My role PM specifically advised against this

##vote Mr. steak

lol i think everyone's probably did. im already doing so much "hmmm"ing about everything in my role pm, and my mind is going ten ways at once to think of how the game might be set up. im excited

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im town

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why y'all so vote-happy?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats the scum third vote ##vote aa

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i sure have a talent for getting votes d1 tho dont i? lmao

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in all seriousness though, let's think. in vanilla mafia, people with an incentive to turbo a random person on d1 are considered scummy because 1) scum knows whether or not the kill will advance their win condition, and 2) their wincon requires the majority of players to die.

in this game, i think we can rule out the first one, at least until n1 comes around, so i'm focused on point 2.

i think we can all agree that we understand how the faction wincons work. from my calculations, it's just about a 50/50 chance that lynching a random person will advance each individual wincon. however, if you are a member of 3 or more factions, suddenly it becomes expedient to just kill a random person, then align yourself with whichever factions are strongest after.

in other words, the ones most eager to vote early in day 1 are the ones who are the least trustworthy to remain loyal to a certain faction, and will certainly be liabilities further down the line

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Pushing an agenda so soon? Can't even sit comfortably in joke phase? :thunk:

am i wrong though?

anyway, jokephase always gets me lynched, so im playing for keeps cuz this game super interests me

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
##unvote

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im not rolefishing. just making it clear that just because there's no real scum, that doesn't give us free reign to act recklessly

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unless u mean aa's and squigg's questions, but those were surely jokes

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quidthulhu posted:

I mean, are you certain there’s no real scum? That seems like a bit of a leap to me. :raise:

does it? does your role pm hint at the existence of a "town" or equivalent?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be clear, my first thought upon seeing that there wouldn't be a universal "enemy" group was to wonder... who in the world could thread unite behind hunting (or pretending to hunt if youre one of them). the conclusion i reached is... the 5 players in the center of the diagram. because they are the most traitorous out of everyone

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and if my assumptions about how night will work are correct, then starting on day 2 they will also be the most well-informed out of everyone, of who is in which factions

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
importantly, after n1, the big man yobo will know *everybody's* role

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is an assertion that almost looks like a confession. This looks a bit knowing, mate.

look closely at the part of your role pm that talks about nighttime communications. keep in mind that in discord, even if you dont talk in a chat, you are still visible as being there

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squiggly posted:

He won't know everyone's role tho just a glimpse of what faction they're with

he'll be able to see the list of players in all four factions. so with simple deduction he'll know everyone's roles

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
similarly, the other 4 players aligned with 3 factions will be able to narrow each player down to 2 or 3 potential roles

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(actually just 2)

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and they'll know the role of the 1 person who's not in any of their faction chats

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and the 1 person who could only be themselves, or X role

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak posted:

and the 1 person who could only be themselves, or X role

and this person would have to be yobomakeanos.

so those 4 players will know for sure the identity of 1 vanilla, and yobo

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(btw quid, that was a joke)

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumpen posted:

:siren:MOD NOTE: I am very sorry to have to do this, but I have made a small editing error.

If your PM contains the words "all of the other", it should instead say "other". This was not intentional mod-fuckery, it is an artifact of a deprecated iteration.
:siren:

well okay then. forget all of what i said haha.

my point about the central 5 being thread's common enemy remains true though.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That seems to be a stretch theory. Do you have any mechanical evidence to support this or is this conjecture based on what you think is most likely?

it's just a fact. we can safely assume that factions positioned opposite on the diagram are rival factions. for 8 of us, we aren't aligned with both of a rivaled pair, meaning the 8 of us aren't traitors. it is in the majority's best interest to eliminate those traitors

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hal Incandenza posted:

All I am getting out of this is that Steak needs to die

because why? cuz im smart?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
##vote aa you sound like a centrite

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

##vote Steak

You are clearly, very clearly, playing with more pieces than the rest of us.

those pieces and simply in my brain matter and not in my role pm

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak posted:

those pieces are simply in my brain matter and not in my role pm

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
youre saying its speculation that opposite factions are opposing, but it's not. i know based on my role pm who i'm rivaled against and that tells me they're positioned opposite on the chart. i know, yes *know* that my rivals are also against me, and it's not some circular setup.

i know this because a circular setup of rivals would be unbalanced. there are a total of 4 plays aligned with both yoda and keanu, for example. meanwhile there are only 3 players aligned with both yoda and thanos. goving some factions an extra member of their own faction that they need dead to fulfill their wincon would be unbalanced

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SalTheBard posted:

Scum hunting in a traditional sense won't work well in this game, but what will work is the night time masonry because that is where you will get a lot of information

for all intents and purposes, im considering the 5 centrites to be scum

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak posted:

for all intents and purposes, im considering the 5 centrites to be scum

aa very much doesnt want us to think that way. so he's probably a centrite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Humalong posted:

5 scum in a 13 player game seems...like a lot?

not scum in the traditional sense, but in the sense of, we should hunt them and they would be wise to not reveal their status as centrites