Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Madness posted:

Monk was pretty good.

I have a soft spot for Psych but I never seem to remember that much about the episodes afterwards though, its so fluffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I had to listen to pretty much the entire OP like 500 times from my fiance. Is there a way to make it stop without having to watch columbo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Columbo: I really wanna win this Wii but the piss I gotta hold in making me feel like I'm gonna die.

Me: Just ignore it that means you got to the threshold once ur past this part you basically wont gotta pee

But in reality I knew it was bad for him cuz I wanted him to die from holding in his piss

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Monk's good but it's not on the same level as Columbo, Kojak or Ironside.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
ozzy covered the perry mason theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QapkGK-6G90

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
monk's interesting because unlike most tv detectives, his adversary is his own broke brain instead of the killer. once he gets a tiny reprieve from his problems monk instantly solves the case.

it's still not columbo tier, of course.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Next 30-45 minutes: Columbo harrases the murderer constantly, showing up everywhere they go, the murderer will constantly try to throw him off the trail while Columbo will try to trick the murderer into revealing information.

This is the point where I'd ask for a restraining order, file a complaint of harassment or plainly get out of town. You read the paper, you know Columbo does this JUST STONE WALL HIM AND WALK AWAY. Don't engage the detective. Tell him you have a cold and can't come to the phone, tell him you don't remember (to every question) Don't announce you're leaving, just go and have your secretary tell everyone your out of the office for the indefinite future. If something comes up that blows your alibi don't react and certainly do spill the truth. Let him bring it to court and have your lawyer fight it.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gonna need to see you address Matlock (not technically a dectective?) and Hercule Poirot.

Oh yeah , and the Psyche guys.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Darth Brooks posted:

This is the point where I'd ask for a restraining order, file a complaint of harassment or plainly get out of town. You read the paper, you know Columbo does this JUST STONE WALL HIM AND WALK AWAY. Don't engage the detective. Tell him you have a cold and can't come to the phone, tell him you don't remember (to every question) Don't announce you're leaving, just go and have your secretary tell everyone your out of the office for the indefinite future. If something comes up that blows your alibi don't react and certainly do spill the truth. Let him bring it to court and have your lawyer fight it.

This is what they should do, but the whole point is that they are so arrogant that they think they can outsmart Columbo. Add this to the fact that most of the time Columbo tries to act as if he isn't interested in them as suspects most of them are unwilling to escalate the level of conflict they have with him until it is too late.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth Brooks posted:

they can't help themselves. they are so rich and smart and far above some lowly disheveled cop. columbo even varies his approach a bit depending on the target. for some he's confrontational, for others he's servile.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

rich people are very dumb, it's a scientific fact

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

they got kinda ahead-of-their-time artsy in some of shots (glasses scene, for example) and the villain is actually pretty terrifying: https://youtu.be/lyxT_QSAYY4
That's the great Robert Culp, who was so amazing they had him come back and be a murderguy like 5 drat times.

And yes, it's always fun to see what the episode's director does with the story. Most of the cinematography is straightforward but you get some crazy scenes now and then.

Anyway, there's three or four times when he pretty much says I'm gonna get your hide you murdering poo poo and it's always awesome to see that escalation.

Great scene like that with Leonard Nimoyz

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Peter Falk is so brilliant that he, an actor with one eye, plays a detective with two eyes.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
All the original Columbo episodes are great except that dumb robot one

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

The episode where Johnny Cash plays the bad guy is one of my favourites

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
That statue owns and it's a national embarrassment that there isn't one in LA.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you're learning to troll then Columbo is required viewing.

Darth Brooks posted:

You'd be amazed at how many people voluntarily talk to police with no lawyer thinking they'll roll 20 their way out of stuff.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Here's what happened

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

This Columbo, he pretends to be stupid, but he's really smart as a tack

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Not a single post about Vera? It's a really good show with crimes that make sense, very little deus ex

Also Inspector Montalbano is real good fun and very Columbo-ish

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Quincy was a pretty dumb premise, why the gently caress do you have the coroner doing your investigating for you? Why do you have no first name?! :mad:

Columbo was the poo poo, so I'll let the no-first-name bit slide :unsmith:

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

Linux Pirate posted:

colombodapest

budalomo

Chicago Tribune posted:

"The original series, which ran from 1971 to 1977, was so popular in Romania it was broadcast there twice a week. When ''Columbo'' stopped production in the U.S., suspicious Romanians thought their government had canceled the show because of import quotas. Fearing riots, the Romanian government begged the U.S. State Department to have the show`s star, Peter Falk, make a public-service announcement explaining the real reason for the demise of ''Columbo.'' Falk obliged and taped a TV spot, which he read phonetically in Romanian."

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Also, let's take a moment to remember 'Columbo's massively unpopular spin-off, 'Mrs. Columbo', featuring his previously unseen wife solving some mysteries of her own. They must have been really desperate to make this show work because they changed the name FOUR times from 'Mrs. Columbo' to 'Kate Columbo', then 'Kate the Detective', before finally settling on 'Kate Loves a Mystery'.

They also made some futile attempts to distance it from the Columbo property by having her get a divorce off-screen (Peter Falk never appeared on the show btw), before finally changing her last name AND the name of her ex-husband to remove her from the Columboverse altogether... all that for a series that only lasted 13 episodes.

Here's the hilariously sexist intro that consists of Mrs. Columbo doing laundry, washing dishes, picking poo poo up off the floor, and generally being a good little housewife :biglips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHPclZ0cNgA

Mr. Bones fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 18, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Columbo is what cops would be if cops didn't suck irl. He's intelligent, observant, polite to everyone, always catches the bad guy, and only arrests rich white people (except for that one time he arrested a rich Mexican).

For those of you who aren't familiar with this, the most perfect of all crime shows, let me give you the plot, because all the episodes follow the same formula.

:words:

That is an extremely well-written summary, kudos.

If you want to ruin an episode of Columbo (because you lack joy in your heart), you can play the game where you work out what single line of dialogue could be replaced by 'gently caress you. Lawyer!' and the bad guy will get away with it.

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 18, 2019

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Horsebanger posted:

Peter Falk is so brilliant that he, an actor with one eye, plays a detective with two eyes.

Nope. Columbo also has only one eye.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Columbo: I really wanna win this Wii but the piss I gotta hold in making me feel like I'm gonna die.

Me: Just ignore it that means you got to the threshold once ur past this part you basically wont gotta pee

But in reality I knew it was bad for him cuz I wanted him to die from holding in his piss

You fool. Everybody knows pee is stored in the balls, therefore not peeing won't kill you, it just makes your balls bigger. All you have done is make Columbo more powerful, you chump.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Everyone has clearly forgotten about Bannagan played by Ty Lookwell

Evil Con Carne
Nov 30, 2004
Joo go back to burger king where you came from

Someone post Columbo falling down the hill.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A disappointing lack of love for Inspector Morse in this thread.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jazzyhattrick posted:

Oh it's there.

The old Morse naturally. Endeavor kinda sucks.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Madness posted:

Monk was pretty good.

Good charactrer but the writing and the way every thing plays out, it's hard to re-watch most episodes. Always he figures stuff out but then he either can't touch something, or he talks too loud, or other dumb poo poo. It's like Sherlock Holmes crossed with Three's Company but mainly the annoying parts of both.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

jazzyhattrick posted:

I'll endeavour to do better.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anybody here watch A Touch of Cloth?
https://youtu.be/R4RKGels8Wo

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for this post. I watched it as a kid and found it intensely boring. I just watched ep 1 and loved it, watching ep 2 now. Cool, now I have a 'new' show to watch!

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
No love for The Rockford Files? He drives around solves crimes and gets into fights constantly. His dad is pretty awesome too. James Garner is a treasure.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cracker is good, especially if you want to see Hagrid being a massive dick to everyone.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
I watched a promo in Spanish for a Hungarian (I think) TV show called Inspector Rex. Based on my limited Spanish, I believe the show was about a police dog handler and his dog named Rex. The dog may have outranked the handler because he had the title of Inspector and the handler didn't even get a name, let alone a title. Most of the drama/action stemmed from a bad guy having a gun drawn on the handler and shouting 'Where's Rex!' only to have Rex jump off a nearby filing cabinet onto the bad guy and knock the gun out of his hand.

Anyway I've never seen the actual show but based on the trailer I believe Inspector Rex is the best TV detective

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What about this guy? he has to be in the conversation.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some ideas for detective buddy movies:

Hastings & Watson: Amazed As Hell detective agency

Japp & Lestrade vs The Red Herring

Father Brown & Don Matteo And The Case Of The Lolita Express

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Icochet posted:

Some ideas for detective buddy movies:

Hastings & Watson: Amazed As Hell detective agency

Japp & Lestrade vs The Red Herring

Father Brown & Don Matteo And The Case Of The Lolita Express

Do we get kid Hastings or senile Watson? Same question for Japp and Lestrade.