Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
when u play kinda open ended games do you go for all the extra side stuff you possibly can along the way or do you just beeline the main story immediately and go back later, or like do it on a second play through. Or something in between? Or does it depend on the game. Tell me your opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I do them if I come across one but I can't be bothered to do everything in one shot, partially for RP reasons and partially so if I ever play it again I can do something I didn't do the first time.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mycophobia posted:

when u play kinda open ended games do you go for all the extra side stuff you possibly can along the way or do you just beeline the main story immediately and go back later, or like do it on a second play through. Or something in between? Or does it depend on the game. Tell me your opinion.

normally im story and will only do any side content i happen to pass. this rule is thrown out the window for yakuza where i only progress the story when i run out of side content and want more lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Morrowind and other Bethesda games I do peripheral stuff I think my character would do and don't do the main quest as fast but that's the only game where I do something that different.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I do all the side quests I come across before advancing the main story, but other side content like optional minigames or whatever I don’t bother with after trying them out once unless I really like them.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Definitely depends on the game and how much fun I'm having with it. If I really like a game I will do everything possible before moving the story forward, but if it's just meh or I get bored I'll beeline thru the story.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Depends on the game for sure. I think in New Vegas it was like 100 some odd hours before I made it to New Vegas the first time.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Depends on the game for sure, usually I’ll look around for side quests a bit on the first playthrough but rarely finish a whole quest line or w/e unless it’s really fun. Second playthroughs i usually go for everything though

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Definitely depends on the game and how much fun I'm having with it. If I really like a game I will do everything possible before moving the story forward, but if it's just meh or I get bored I'll beeline thru the story.

This x1000

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
My brain makes me want to do all the side quests but my heart doesn't like it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

if I like the game i'll get lost doing sidequests forever, if I don't I'll play something else tbf.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If the games are good like Yakuza 0 or Witcher 3 I'll do every bit of side content in the game

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i usually replay games i think are good so i wont comb every pixel of the map looking for hidden stuff on my first go, but ill try to see the bulk of it. u know? lightning returns wouldnt be very fun if u tried to get everything done on your first run for example.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
it took me probably 10 finished bloodborne runs before i knew everything there was to know about the game. thne 20 more i was making minor discoveries on my own that other ppl hadnt noticed yet, stuff like how bloodstains cover the hats of other players messengers if you kill an enemy near them then read the message etc, basically the kind of thing only a seriously hardcore fan could possibly care about or notice, then by my 30th run evil eagle told me there was a treasure chest half way up an elevator above the cathedral ward that i didnt know about lol -__- epic fail

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
but i really am the kind of the person who will replay a game like 10+ times if i think its really good. like ff9 or mgs etc. for that reason i dont have a big repertoire of games ive played and try to avoid playing mediocre poo poo and if i dont think its a classic or had a lot of love put into making it ill probably drop it entirely

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

it took me probably 10 finished bloodborne runs before i knew everything there was to know about the game. thne 20 more i was making minor discoveries on my own that other ppl hadnt noticed yet, stuff like how bloodstains cover the hats of other players messengers if you kill an enemy near them then read the message etc, basically the kind of thing only a seriously hardcore fan could possibly care about or notice, then by my 30th run evil eagle told me there was a treasure chest half way up an elevator above the cathedral ward that i didnt know about lol -__- epic fail

WHAT

musclebusiness
Jun 30, 2008

just got owned by nier:automata for deciding to run a few more main story quests instead of clearing more side quests

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

If the games are good like Yakuza 0 or Witcher 3 I'll do every bit of side content in the game

I’m the opposite I will intentionally not do some side content in games i like, so if I ever want to replay a game there will be a few things I haven’t seen still.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

musclebusiness posted:

just got owned by nier:automata for deciding to run a few more main story quests instead of clearing more side quests

You will be fine, it doesn’t lock you out forever.

I did everything in nier before advancing the story most of the time, went to the story, then rounded back for platinum. If a game is really good I’ll do as much side content as I find enjoyable before I move on. Basically if I ever find my interest waning I just move right along.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
I’ll play the extra side quest content, but I’m almost assuredly mashing skip on every dialogue box

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

yeah. if theyre wearing hats and stuff their little hats have blood on them lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I try to minimize side content the first play through because I’ll often get so bogged down in the side content that I’ll never finish the game

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

herculon posted:

I try to minimize side content the first play through because I’ll often get so bogged down in the side content that I’ll never finish the game

Or you get burned out doing every side quest in the first half so you do zero in the second. I try to pace myself.

Also it makes the world feel bigger and more alive if I know there's still places I haven't gone and things I haven't done.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Never had the patience to be a 100% plat style gamer but if it’s a game where you can trick out your team for endgame stuff I can sink a lot of hours into that

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Never had the patience to be a 100% plat style gamer but if it’s a game where you can trick out your team for endgame stuff I can sink a lot of hours into that

Plat seems tedious which is why I have only done it with nier because it didn’t have ridiculous requirements for such.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think it mostly depends on if it’s an RPG or just an open world action game. RPGs I usually try and do all the side quests that feel reasonable for my character or if the story seems interesting. Open world games like horizon zero dawn or metro exodus I’ll only do the sidequests if they’re right on top of where I’m already going, otherwise I skip them because 90% of the time there’s no actual interesting story stuff and just a mediocre reward

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

herculon posted:

Yeah this happens sometimes and I’ll just start blasting through the main story until the end like “oh my gooood I’m ready for this game to be over” even if it’s a game I really like. But I do as many side quests as I can until I reach that point, if I ever do

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

filling up the minimap with markers and having a million arrows pointing to a bajillion quest objectives is cucking awesome op

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Playing through divinity 2 right now and the act structure really makes you want to complete all the side quests before moving on and being locked out.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Average Bear posted:

Playing through divinity 2 right now and the act structure really makes you want to complete all the side quests before moving on and being locked out.

Yeah divinity 2 can gently caress you over if you leave act 1 too early. Not game breaking but my buddy is permanently cursed because we didn’t finish that cursed armor side quest in act one

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

tao of lmao posted:

Yeah divinity 2 can gently caress you over if you leave act 1 too early. Not game breaking but my buddy is permanently cursed because we didn’t finish that cursed armor side quest in act one

if it's the ring curse, try casting Bless on him

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Average Bear posted:

if it's the ring curse, try casting Bless on him

we’re in act 3 i’m pretty sure we tried that but next time we get together I’ll try it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like doing a bunch of side stuf right before the final boss so you kill it before you even see what it's gimmicks are. Like quad casting Knights of the Round on sephiroth turn 1 bc you spent 20 hours mating a perfect Chocobo.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I like doing a bunch of side stuf right before the final boss so you kill it before you even see what it's gimmicks are. Like quad casting Knights of the Round on sephiroth turn 1 bc you spent 20 hours mating a perfect Chocobo.

I tried to do the quad KotR strat on emerald weapon as a teenager and I couldn’t sit through all of the animations. I had to do it the hard way

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
depends what i'm in the mood for, op. it's good to mix things up

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Now I’m trying to remember how the brute force start worked and it was something to do with Cloud having 4x slash->all with a ranged materia and whittling the eyes down while you used omnislash when it came up

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If the game has a checklist of side quests I will feel compelled to seek them out and complete them in conjunction with the main story. If the side quests are hidden I'll complete them if I come across them but it's possible I might miss something.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
BOTW is a good example of how to handle side content I think, although the "main content" of the game was pretty lacking so maybe that's not actually a good example. Anyway in BOTW I would talk to a particular NPC and unlock a side quest but I wouldn't usually immediately tackle the quest I'd just continue exploring. Then when I was sick of running around aimlessly I'd check the quest list and knock out a couple side quests and get the epic 100 rupee reward.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think in most games I will do all side quests that I can before progressing to the next story beat. Good examples of times I do this would be like the recent Dues Ex games or the Yakuza games, or RPGs like Witcher 3.

I think I'd get overwhelmed if I tried that with a Bethesda game or something, mostly because everything tends to be very same-y in those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
I like to obsessively do all the side quests until I end up losing interest in the game halfway through.