Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-18/japan-fire-arson-suspected-animation-studio-kyoto/11322164

i too am consumed with rage every time i see an anime avatar, but murdering people over it is perhaps overreaching

i wonder what provoked this outrage? was it the lovely storylines or perhaps it's anger at jeffrey epstein channeled into murderous fury at the nearest place likely to also contain pedophiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

schmuckfeatures posted:

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-18/japan-fire-arson-suspected-animation-studio-kyoto/11322164

i too am consumed with rage every time i see an anime avatar, but murdering people over it is perhaps overreaching

i wonder what provoked this outrage? was it the lovely storylines or perhaps it's anger at jeffrey epstein channeled into murderous fury at the nearest place likely to also contain pedophiles

Perhaps the possible arsonist was in a bad place. Maybe a 'melancholy' as it were?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I have find the killer's manifesto

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
*12 people burn to death*

Op: Time for a low quality and low effort lovely thread with bad jokes.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
found the anime fan :smugdog:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

immortalyawn posted:

*12 people burn to death*

when you put it like that it is pretty funny

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
crosspot

Burt edits out nsfw poo poo here

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

quote:

A man screaming "Die!" burst into an animation production studio in Kyoto and set it on fire, killing one person, leaving 12 others presumed dead and a dozen possibly trapped inside.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
So anime really was blood after all?

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I saw this story on the Daily Beast cheat sheet not 10 minutes ago. I thought "There is definately going to be a race to see who can be the first to rush a low content thread in GBS about this very soon." Well, whaddya know?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Harveygod posted:

So anime really was blood after all?

:haw:

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I'm not an anime fan but this is still tragic

Apparently the fucker that did was claiming they ripped him off or stole his ideas for something?

Lots of unfiltered information right now a bunch of notable directors are still missing :(

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Otaku hikikomori cha cha cha!

(it ain't likely to be anything else)

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
What animes did they make?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Evil Agita posted:

What animes did they make?

News report I read said Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and K-ON.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
24 people, mybad.

It's KyoAni studios.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
What are building codes like in Japan? That seems like an inordinate number of fatalities.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Dragonstoned posted:

I'm not an anime fan but this is still tragic

Apparently the fucker that did was claiming they ripped him off or stole his ideas for something?

Lots of unfiltered information right now a bunch of notable directors are still missing :(

Well he just said "Copycats", also, just to make it even more tragic/real, there was a daycare on the second floor of the building.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Lazyhound posted:

What are building codes like in Japan?

It's all just anime. All the blueprints are basically manga.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Lazyhound posted:

What are building codes like in Japan? That seems like an inordinate number of fatalities.

Allegedly the guy had lit up the exits and was going around spraying gasoline on people. Also heard reports that he may have been waiting outside near the exits with a knife and stabbing people who were trying to get out.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Valko posted:

I saw this story on the Daily Beast cheat sheet not 10 minutes ago. I thought "There is definately going to be a race to see who can be the first to rush a low content thread in GBS about this very soon." Well, whaddya know?

I mean, how much effort should be put? I don't think there is a lot of info out there yet.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Man this is just tragic, I guess Kyoani weren't counting their lucky stars.
But honestly this sucks, I really enjoyed Nichijou and Haruhi. :smith:

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cathead posted:

Allegedly the guy had lit up the exits and was going around spraying gasoline on people. Also heard reports that he may have been waiting outside near the exits with a knife and stabbing people who were trying to get out.

this wouldn't have happened if that gasoline had a gun :whatup:

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
that's hosed up that a grown person can care so much about cartoons for children

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Are we sure he hated anime? Maybe he really really loves anime and hates what they did to his favorite one.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Maybe he thought they were the ones making the fire anime and thought itd be a good example of irony?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

pixaal posted:

Are we sure he hated anime? Maybe he really really loves anime and hates what they did to his favorite one.

This is a far more likerlier scenario.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

pixaal posted:

I bet they killed off his anime girlfriend or something, anime detectives need to get to work

Also the building kinda looks like a firetrap

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

free hubcaps posted:

I bet they killed off his anime girlfriend or something, anime detectives need to get to work

Who..? Wh..? What is going on with the placement of these random rear end windows? It looks like a child's drawing come to life.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
It's a groverhaus.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

why don't you take 132 episodes to tell me about it, OP

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

free hubcaps posted:

20 people died in a building you couldn't die falling off of? What in the hell was going on inside of this thing, good lord

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

20 people died in a building you couldn't die falling off of? What in the hell was going on inside of this thing, good lord

death tolls at 33 now

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
japan really needs to ban anime so this kind of thing can never happen again

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
KyoAni has made some really great anime over the years, including some of my favorites (like Hyouka and Hibike! Euphonium). They've had a few real stinkers as well, but their animation quality has always been top-notch. Sad to hear about such a waste of life and talent.

edit: vvv *sensibly chuckles*

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 18, 2019

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SubnormalityStairs posted:

Sad to hear about such a waste of life and talent.

i was thinking exactly this before the arsonist even got started

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Big Beef City posted:

Anime tends to have horrible work conditions even by Japanese standards iirc. And doesn't help that like the rest of the creative industries their labour pool has plenty of starry-eyed young obsessives they can burn out and instantly replace.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

sandwiches_and_ham posted:

i was thinking exactly this before the arsonist even got started

:vince:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

Apparently lots of people got trapped in the stairs leading to the roof. Fires are grim like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

What from I know of Japan from advertisements, the architects were likely jpop idols, so this was inevitable.