Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ok we’re a temp close, pm a friendly mod when developments occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
More developments

Suspected Japan arsonist a reclusive, quarrelsome gamer, neighbor says

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s+World+News%29

quote:

OMIYA, Japan (Reuters) - The man suspected of killing 34 people in an arson attack in Japan lived alone, hundreds of kilometers from the torched Kyoto Animation studio, where he played video games non-stop and had “terrified” his neighbor just days earlier.

Police late on Saturday issued an arrest warrant for 41-year-old Shinji Aoba, suspected of causing Japan’s worst mass killing in two decades on Thursday when he went to the studio in western Japan, poured fuel around the entrance and shouted “Die” as he set the building ablaze, according to public broadcaster NHK.

They plan to arrest Aoba, who suffered serious burns and on Saturday was airlifted to a university hospital for treatment, once he recovers, NHK said.

Police said Aoba had previously been convicted of robbing a shop.

Aoba lived alone on the ground floor of a two-floor apartment building on the outskirts of Omiya, a commuter suburb of Tokyo and some 500 km (310 miles) east of Kyoto. His next-door neighbor recalled Aoba as pudgy and unkempt, with blemished skin. He kept odd hours and barely spoke to anyone.

“I’ve never seen him go out during the day, not even to the convenience store. I would regularly hear him go out around midnight,” the neighbor, a 27-year-old man who declined to be identified, told Reuters.

Music from video games blared from Aoba’s apartment at all hours, the neighbor said, adding that there had been complaints from residents about the noise in the last year.

On July 14, days before the attack, Aoba grabbed and threatened the neighbor over an apparent misunderstanding. It started when Aoba began pounding on the wall to complain about noise, the neighbor said.

When the neighbor went to Aoba’s front door to tell him the noise was coming from another unit, he heard a loud wail inside the apartment and then the door opened.

“When he came out of his apartment, his eyes were bloodshot, and he started yelling at me to my face to shut up,” the neighbor said.

“He grabbed me by the collar and started pulling my hair. It was terrifying.”

MENTAL ILLNESS

After the Kyoto attack, Aoba told police he had done it because the studio had plagiarized his novel, Kyodo news reported. Kyoto Animation is well known in Japan and abroad for its series and movies, including “Violet Evergarden”, which has been on Netflix.

Aoba had lived in the Omiya apartment for about three years, the neighbor said. Japanese media said he had moved into it at some point following his release from his prison for robbing a convenience store east of Tokyo in 2012. He had also received care for mental illness, NHK said.

The apartment block is typical of the prefab apartments that crowd Japanese commuter suburbs: small, identical units, built with thin walls. Single air conditioners rest on narrow balconies outside each unit. The apartments are usually meant for single occupants and are popular with lower-income and younger workers.

Residents in the area - a rural subdivision off a busy road where recently built homes and unkempt vegetable patches fight for space with a tiny cemetery - said they were shocked by the news of the arson.

“I’ve lived here all my life, and until very recently, this area has never had any incidents of violence, or talk of violent people living in the neighborhood,” said an engineer in his 20s en route to visit his parents who live near Aoba’s apartment.

“It’s unsettling.”

Obligatory, so what was his user name?

In sadder news, information about the victims.

'I don't have words': Boss of torched Japan animation studio mourns bright, young staff

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...f-idUSKCN1UF016

quote:

KYOTO, Japan (Reuters) - Many victims of an arson attack on a Japanese animation studio were young with bright futures, some joining only in April, the shaken company president said on Saturday, as the death toll climbed to 34.

Thursday’s attack on Kyoto Animation, well known for its television series and movies, was the worst mass killing in two decades in a country with one of the world’s lowest crime rates.

It was all the more poignant because of the young age of many of the victims when Japan has one of the world’s oldest populations.

Many of the victims were young women, company president Hideaki Hatta said.

“Some of them joined us just in April. And on the eighth of July, I gave them a small, but their first, bonus,” he said.

“People who had a promising future lost their lives. I don’t know what to say. Rather than feeling anger, I just don’t have words,” Hatta said.

Fifteen of the dead were in their 20s and 11 were in their 30s, public broadcaster NHK said. Six were in their 40s and one was at least 60. The age of the latest victim, a man who died in hospital, was not known and names have not yet been disclosed.

Authorities on Saturday issued an arrest warrant for 41-year-old Shinji Aoba on suspicion of arson and murder, NHK said.

Police have confirmed Aoba’s identity and said he was previously convicted of robbing a shop. They plan to arrest him once he recovers from heavy burns, NHK said. He was earlier airlifted to a university hospital in nearby Osaka.

Aoba went to the studio on Thursday morning, poured fuel around the entrance and shouted “Die” as he set the building ablaze, according to NHK.

He told police he had done it because the studio had plagiarized his novel, Kyodo news reported. Hatta said he had not seen any correspondence from the suspect and had no idea of the plagiarism claim.

One employee who survived the fire told NHK he did so by jumping from the second-floor balcony.

The employee, who was not identified, told the broadcaster there was a loud explosion and a plume of black smoke came up through a spiral staircase, filling the second floor and making it hard to breathe. As he went to the veranda, he heard cries for help.

“It was a choice of jumping from the second floor and getting injured, or dying,” he told NHK, adding that there were employees who could not bring themselves to jump.

‘IT WAS TERRIFYING’

Aoba lived in a small, two-floor apartment building 500 km (310 miles) from the western city of Kyoto, Japan’s ancient capital, on the outskirts of Omiya, a commuter hub north of Tokyo.

A neighbor said he had a dispute over noise with Aoba just days before the attack.

“He started yelling at me to my face to shut up. He grabbed me by the collar and started pulling my hair. It was terrifying,” the 27-year-old man who declined to be identified, said.

People living near the studio said they saw a man fitting Aoba’s description in a park the day before the attack. Police suspect he may have spent a day or more in the area to prepare.

Rui Yamaguchi, who works in a factory nearby, said he saw the suspect when he was detained.

“He looked like a mannequin with no hair and blackened. One of his pants legs had gone around his calf. It looked like it had burnt off,” he said.

‘BEAUTIFUL AND WARM’

Near the blackened studio building, where the smell of burning timber lingered over the neighborhood, animation fans of many nationalities joined local residents, queuing up to add to a growing pile of flowers, drinks and other offerings.

Bing Xie, 25, a Chinese student at Kyoto University, said she could not forgive the arsonist.

“The young people at Kyoto Animation were beautiful and warm and it is hard to accept they are gone.”

Police guarded the site as investigators, some on the roof near where many died in a connecting stairwell, examined the torched three-story building.

Tributes to the victims lit up social media, with world leaders and Apple Inc’s (AAPL.O) chief executive offering condolences. The hashtag #PrayforKyoAni, as the studio is known among fans, has become popular.

Kyoto Animation produces popular “anime” series such as the “Sound! Euphonium”. It is also known for “Violet Evergarden”, which has been shown on Netflix.

Fumiko Shimizu, 91, who lives close to the building and watched the fire from her balcony at home, said she regularly greeted the staff she met in the street.

“I used to see them going to the convenience store in groups of six or so to buy lunch boxes. There were a lot of young people, in the twenties and thirties,” she said.

“They died so young when it would be alright for somebody like me to die anytime.”

:stare:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
regularly assaults neighbors
history of robbery and violence
but what's actually important is that the music he listened to was video game music

thanks reuters

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
"On July 14, days before the attack, Aoba grabbed and threatened the neighbor over an apparent misunderstanding. It started when Aoba began pounding on the wall to complain about noise, the neighbor said."

https://youtu.be/ZOlXkj-RO-M

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Coolguye posted:

but what's actually important is that the music he listened to was video game music

thanks reuters

Truly, gamers are the real victims here.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Jfc that's sad. Imprison all gamers

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
That's what happens when thanks to the internet, other parts of the world are exposed to violent western videogames like Quake and Doom.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Burt Sexual posted:

Ok we’re a temp close, pm a friendly mod when developments occur.

What ever would we do without you micromanaging every thread.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Coolguye posted:

thanks reuters

Well it's difficult to know your neighbor could be a psychopath if you don't have access to his medical history or courts records, but them playing video games is an excellent clue they are psychopaths so thanks reuters indeed for that, I will be sure to note and warn social services if I ever hear of someone in my neighborhood playing videogames.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

revmoo posted:

Some of you would probably end up with federal charges

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
“They died so young when it would be alright for somebody like me to die anytime.”

same except i am under 30

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Helical Nightmares posted:

His next-door neighbor recalled Aoba as pudgy and unkempt, with blemished skin.

which sub-forum did he mod?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

revmoo posted:

You should buy pms and post more in qqcs, versus here.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I honestly thought Japan was kinda harsh on all that domestic disturbance/assault stuff.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

I honestly thought Japan was kinda harsh on all that domestic disturbance/assault stuff.

Far from.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yasuhiro Takemoto, a director for many Kyoto Animation projects is missing. Both his father and wife are unaware of his status.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20190722/k10012002301000.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuhiro_Takemoto

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yikes there's like 0 chance this anime dude is alive imo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What are the chances he's a Touhou fan?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

That last article makes it all feel extremely sad and makes the anime jokes after it seem tacky

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Hey if this is Japan's 9/11...

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yikes there's like 0 chance this anime dude is alive imo.

Weird that they wouldn’t have found him by now, even if he had tried to hide somewhere during the fire.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

It means his corpse was charred so much they haven't been able to identify the body.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DoctorStrangelove posted:

It means his corpse was charred so much they haven't been able to identify the body.

This is gross, but wouldn’t some fires burn hot enough in some areas to leave ashes, like cremation?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

This is gross, but wouldn’t some fires burn hot enough in some areas to leave ashes, like cremation?

A friend works in the funeral home industry and she told me that with cremation it's a super hot furnace that also has a pulverizer that comes down and breaks everything up, then the pieces are burnt again, or something. But it's an involved mechanical process as well

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Burt Sexual posted:

gasoline fires can do this but it requires burning the material at that temperature for a long time. i'm unfamiliar with the specifics of the blaze but i'd generally find it unlikely that it could sustain that since the gas was used as accelerant, not fuel.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

sweet thursday posted:

A friend works in the funeral home industry and she told me that with cremation it's a super hot furnace that also has a pulverizer that comes down and breaks everything up, then the pieces are burnt again, or something. But it's an involved mechanical process as well

Uh...thanks for that. Lol

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

sweet thursday posted:

does this work on my balls specifically?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I know it's gross but I think people should know what goes into their hot dogs

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I just hope we ban games and mandate mangas.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
...there's no list of confirmed dead, but the director of Amagi Brilliant park and the Dragon Maid anime, Yasuhiro Takemoto, is still "missing" according to his family.

The president of the company asked for their names not to be released.... out of respect for their families. Japan is weird.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Respect them by wistfully staring up into the moonlit sky as fireflies and dandelion seeds dance around you in the midnight wind

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The fireflies LOOK underage but actually

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

If there's bioluminescence on the butt, play ball

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

UltraRed posted:

Dragon Maid anime

let me google that

oh...

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

LordArgh posted:

let me google that

oh...

eight-year-olds, dude

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Naomi Ishida, color designer confirmed as a fatality at the Kyoani arson.

https://mainichi.jp/articles/201907...00m/040/353000c
https://anidb.net/creator/3749

Yes she worked on that.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

UltraRed posted:

...there's no list of confirmed dead, but the director of Amagi Brilliant park and the Dragon Maid anime, Yasuhiro Takemoto, is still "missing" according to his family.

The president of the company asked for their names not to be released.... out of respect for their families. Japan is weird.

Isn't that the one where the main character is named Kanye?

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Isn't that the one where the main character is named Kanye?

yes, the dude who wrote Amagi Brilliant Park decided to name all the characters after rap artists like Kanye, Queen Latifah or 50 Cent. Nobody ever mentions that this is weird, it's played entirely straight and has absolutely no importance on the plot about some dude signing up to save a theme parks where the refugees of a magical world live in hiding.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Taking direct action to put an end to anime once and for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Burt Sexual posted:

Wait, I know nothing about sexualized children from this org. I thought the were clean in that respect? Link?

I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to respond to this earlier but I am glad someone other than me has had to find and post such images as an 2000 year old dragon pretending to be an eight year old with boobs as big as her head. Burt I hope you have learned that almost all anime does this poo poo because I miss posting anime being banable. (Fair enough on the probe)