Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

20 people died in a building you couldn't die falling off of? What in the hell was going on inside of this thing, good lord

The arsonist stuck around to make sure people burnt to death. 33 dead is a number I'm hearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

sandwiches_and_ham posted:

ban anime so this kind of thing can never happen again

A good start.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
in related news, a large conspicuous blank area has suddenly opened up in the Kyoto sex offenders map

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
This is what happens when you feature magical arsonists in your manchild cartoons, copy cats!

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
What anime did the studio make?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
A local had heard the guy shout "you ripped me off" so most likely it was a disgruntled fan upset about the direction his favourite animes were heading to.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SpaceAceJase posted:

What anime did the studio make?

Haruhi, K-On, and a whole host of light novel adaptations. I haven't watched any of their stuff in a decade but this is gut wrenching.

schmuckfeatures posted:

in related news, a large conspicuous blank area has suddenly opened up in the Kyoto sex offenders map

Half their staff or more are women, many of those left their kids in the nursery they had at KyoAni while they were working.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

je suis anime

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Anime tends to have horrible work conditions even by Japanese standards iirc. And doesn't help that like the rest of the creative industries their labour pool has plenty of starry-eyed young obsessives they can burn out and instantly replace.

Yeah the animation industry is pretty hosed, but to their credit, KyoAni is considered one of the best in the industry in terms of working conditions, diversity, and project scheduling so their staff aren't forced to crunch constantly. That's why the release pace of their works tends to be a bit more spread out than some other studios. They've also put a lot of work into bringing in promising young animators and mentoring them and helping them cultivate their talents over time.

That kinda stuff just makes this all the more sad. :(

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:rip:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Some really hot takes about anime ITT

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

cathead posted:

Yeah the animation industry is pretty hosed, but to their credit, KyoAni is considered one of the best in the industry in terms of working conditions, diversity, and project scheduling so their staff aren't forced to crunch constantly. That's why the release pace of their works tends to be a bit more spread out than some other studios. They've also put a lot of work into bringing in promising young animators and mentoring them and helping them cultivate their talents over time.

That kinda stuff just makes this all the more sad. :(

I don’t really like most of their stuff but they had some very talented staff and nobody deserved to have their life destroyed like this, I feel so bad for the survivors as well as the people who died here, I can’t imagine ever being able to work again in a place where 1 out of every 5 coworkers you had are dead

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Apparently there are some reports coming in that there were problems with the building, such as the roof door being locked from the inside in the stairwell and no one had the key, causing a number of people to get trapped. Wonder how much of that is due to poor building fire codes/lack of inspection.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Leave it to goons laughing at 30+ innocent people dying a terrible death, just so they can get their “heh, anime :smug:” posts in:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

the studio made the arson's waifu in some anime a non-virgin so he took revenge

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

not a bot posted:

A local had heard the guy shout "you ripped me off" so most likely it was a disgruntled fan upset about the direction his favourite animes were heading to.
That report suggested he was accusing them of plagiarism, although it's entirely possible he was misheard.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

this is unironically anime's 9/11

nothing will ever be the same after this

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Apparently most of the people suffocated in the stairwell trying to get to the roof... which only opened from the outside. This really is a groverhaus

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EorayMel posted:

Some really hot takes about anime ITT

how will people know I have the right opinions if I don't regularly rejoice at the news of 33 innocent people burning to death?

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
This poo poo is incredibly hosed up. It doesn't help that apparently most property insurance for fire does not cover arson-induced damage. And I assume the rear end in a top hat who did this will not pay up.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Ritznit posted:

This poo poo is incredibly hosed up. It doesn't help that apparently most property insurance for fire does not cover arson-induced damage. And I assume the rear end in a top hat who did this will not pay up.

Yes, it really isn't about 33+ people dying in an arson. The main point is how will the animes continue if the arsonist won't pony up

not a bot fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 18, 2019

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ritznit posted:

Truly the building manager is the true victim of this tragedy in which dozens of people were killed.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ritznit posted:

this is a take hotter than the fire lol

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

not a bot posted:

"they stole my original idea about 4 cute girls in a high school doing stuff! die!"

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

frajaq posted:

this is unironically anime's 9/11

nothing will ever be the same after this

Watch Goku start a loving war

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ritznit posted:

I know right. Maybe they can try to get the money out of the victims' families? I mean if you think about it they're the real assholes here.

also :getout:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

One moment you're focused on properly shading big milky tits, next moment you're dead from smoke inhalation.
Call your mom. Tell your friends you love them. Go on that trip now, not later. We are all mortal.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's true.

Anime was a mistake.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hmmmm

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lovely thread for lovely people

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Xaintrailles posted:

Watch Goku start a loving war

I think a loving war is called an orgy

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

frajaq posted:

the studio made the arson's waifu in some anime a non-virgin so he took revenge

This was my theory on the motive too. Countdown to someone finding this guy’s crazy rear end fanfiction.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Anime is good.

Big RIPs to lost anime makers.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This is insane and tragic but I'm glad they caught the motherfucker. Jesus christ, 33 people.

immortalyawn posted:

lovely thread for lovely people

have you ever contributed anything of value with a post or are you too busy jerking yourself raw over how bad other goons are ???

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Someone should tell Japan about those recent innovations known as 'fire exits' and 'fire escapes'.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Legit surprised the dude didn’t off himself in the fire.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Rubellavator posted:

The arsonist stuck around to make sure people burnt to death. 33 dead is a number I'm hearing.

sucks that multiple people couldn't jump out the fat sized holes in the building that plump people couldn't fall off the roof of and still not die.

God Bless Chicago on a weekend....oh wait it's Japan it's a cultural thing.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Big Beef City posted:

sucks that multiple people couldn't jump out the fat sized holes in the building that plump people couldn't fall off the roof of and still not die.

If only we had a retard to english decoder ring to figure out what you just said. As it is it'll be a forever mystery.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Big Beef City posted:

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
drat, KyoAni. They mostly make high production value movies and series about cute girls doing simple slice of life stuff. Basically the most inoffensive content imaginable.