Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I am so on board for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The default in 3.X was supposed to be Greyhawk, which was the most generic fantasy world possible.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The closest they ever did to rebooting Spelljammer was doing it as a Victorian-style mini-setting in an issue of Polyhedron magazine.

e: Issue 151 for those who're interested.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

On the plus side, tinker gnomes did have power armor.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

4. Tracy Hickman is a devout Mormon and that leaks all over the setting, but particularly in its approach to gods, good and evil, and other moral issues.
I'm hoping people get into this as we go, because I hear it all the time but I don't know anything about Mormon beliefs so I don't know specifically what things in the books are being called out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

tzirean posted:

I know I'm the one who pointed out "mortals calling the gods out aren't always wrong" as a plus, but Tracy Hickman's intent was indeed that the mortals were always wrong in that situation. That's why every true believer comes around to "the mortals abandoned the gods, the gods didn't abandon us," no matter how much time they spend pointing out that the gods were cruel for spending 350 years ignoring the world because the people begging for help weren't doing it right/needed to learn a lesson.
Yeah, that to me is bullshit thinking however you present it. This is a place where the gods provably exist. If they don't like how their "followers" are twisting their beliefs, then sorry it's on them to come down and say so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

You see, neutrals must believe that if you get a nice ice cream cone then you should also get punched in the face, to balance things out. A totally sensible position.
It's a very pre-2010's idea, isn't it?

Not helping matters is the idea that "neutral" is not just the idea of balance, but also not caring about anything because "true neutral" is the nature/druid alignment.