Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Splicer posted:

Wherever I see a song or poem of more than six lives in a fantasy book my eyes glaze right on past

Same, but there's a group who does Tolkien poems and it rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxfoa23skHg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FWIW, I put myself through all the mainline Dragonlance books ("Dragons of such and such" series), even the gillion-page one where Daddy Chaos shows up and does everyone the favor of stepping on the kender, Sturm's son is a Sith, and Raistlin is a Force ghost. I also read the Verminaard book. I barely remember any of them.

It always felt like Dragonlance was trying so hard, and then I read the Forgotten Realms book Death of the Dragon, it was way more pulpy and hyperviolent, and felt like I had been missing out on books that knew what weight they were supposed to punch at. Meanwhile, in Dragonlance,

quote:

Dragonlance's system of magic alone is hilarious and the most D&D thing ever, more D&D than anything Ed Greenwood could put together. A sorting hat figures out whether you are good, ambiguous, or evil, and then the evil wizards are not only allowed to exist at all ever, but in the middle of a city with a haunted lawn. This is the 200th dumbest thing about Dragonlance.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I'm pretty sure that despite playing some BESM and AD&D, then 2nd edition, then 3rd, then 3.5, and finally 4th edition over the span of 30 years, that I mentally conflated dragonlance and forgotten realms into being one thing for basically all of that time. Specifically, one thing I didn't know or care anything about.

It'll be interesting to learn all about this legendary D&D setting for the firs time in this Let's Read.

Which one has drizzt the emo dark elf?

That's Forgotten Realms. At about the point that 3E happened, WotC began to abandon virtually every setting except Forgotten Realms, and by 4E everything was by default Forgotten Realms (3E started with Greyhawk, Gary Gygax's campaign setting, which was quickly abandoned).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Those who keep to the Old Ways know that turning Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Spelljammer, and Birthright variously into a small smattering of light-weight sourcebooks or nothing at all was a great crime, which will never be forgotten or forgiven.

Even the small-scale revivals carried insults, like a Dark Sun dungeon map that featured a stream of water.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Draconians survived into 4E (somehow, when nothing else Dragonlance did) and were low-key one of the best races due to constant sort-of flying. Also you could lick your weapon and cause it to do poison damage, or play your trap card when you die and explode.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

You see, neutrals must believe that if you get a nice ice cream cone then you should also get punched in the face, to balance things out. A totally sensible position.

This feels more like what people picked up on as uproariously funny when they were introduced to D&D at age 10, and then later they didn't mature, and well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why do I know this instead of calculus?

Your math teacher didn't love you like D&D loved you.