Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

What the gently caress is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7hzYuWNIEk

Who greenlights this garbage? How much drugs do I need to do to enjoy this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
:stonk:

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Rum Tum Tugger

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It was a very popular stage play and as far as I've seen the film seems accurate.

Just don't watch it, maybe, I know I won't, and I saw it live on the 80's.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I enjoyed the play when I was 8

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Edgar posted:

I enjoyed the play when I was 8

This except I was 12 and hated it

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
No matter if you like Andrew Lloyd Webber's musicals or not, Cats is a weird one even for him because it's basically a poetic dance revue with some musical-esque bits in it. It also has basically no plot and definitely no classic narrative, it's more about the themes and cats dancing to them.

How the hell they are gonna make a 2 hour Hollywood movie out of that with their CGI abominations I'm clueless about, but I sure as poo poo am looking forward to the trainwreck.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ritznit posted:

No matter if you like Andrew Lloyd Webber's musicals or not, Cats is a weird one even for him because it's basically a poetic dance revue with some musical-esque bits in it. It also has basically no plot and definitely no classic narrative, it's more about the themes and cats dancing to them.

How the hell they are gonna make a 2 hour Hollywood movie out of that with their CGI abominations I'm clueless about, but I sure as poo poo am looking forward to the trainwreck.

https://twitter.com/LouisPeitzman/status/1151969332324384771

I'm very hyped for this hot mess

e: for clarification that quote is about Hal Prince

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 19, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Wait, the Memories cat died?

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

"mankind was a mistake"

-god after watching the video in the op

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

I. M. Gei posted:

Wait, the Memories cat died?

Yeah, the whole play is about which cat gets the permission to go to Cat Heaven. The vast majority of the runtime is them all introducing themselves to plead their cases.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ritznit posted:

Yeah, the whole play is about which cat gets the permission to go to Cat Heaven. The whole play is them all introducing themselves to plead their cases.

... do the rest of them go to Cat Hell or do they just not die?

Good lord I didn’t realize this dumb play was so depressing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Furries are finally mainstream, we did it everyone.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

:catdrugs:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:ninja:

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Thankfully I grew up watching good musicals, like Fiddler on the Roof.

Bad cgi abomination jokes aside is the actual play of cats any good?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

nullEntityRNG posted:

No

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

nullEntityRNG posted:

It's really, really not. It has one good song and otherwise it is not memorable or interesting at all.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQxY4-1I4lo

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Ritznit posted:

Yeah, the whole play is about which cat gets the permission to go to Cat Heaven. The vast majority of the runtime is them all introducing themselves to plead their cases.

This is in contrast to the system for dogs

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
The CGI doesn't look great for a 2019 movie. I'm getting horrible Foodfight! the movie, vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uROQ9nplxIY

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I didn't realize Cats even had a plot. I thought it was like Anything Goes, just the thinnest of plots to showcase some musical numbers?

Oh, and on behalf of the psychedelics community, there isn't an amount of drugs that makes this enjoyable. It's a difference of kind, not quantity.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

... do the rest of them go to Cat Hell or do they just not die?

Good lord I didn’t realize this dumb play was so depressing.

its more than a little vague, but iirc it's pretty heavily implied they serially reincarnate until they make the Jellicle Choice and ascend to the Heaviside Layer (though they're born into a new life there? idk)

its a really weird production

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 19, 2019

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

WrenP-Complete posted:

I didn't realize Cats even had a plot. I thought it was like Anything Goes, just the thinnest of plots to showcase some musical numbers?

You are exactly right, it has barely any plot. It's all more poetic and thematic and poo poo. That's why seeing it adapted as some big Hollywood production likely shoehorning in some plot is hilarious to me.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
And I thought the Sonic The Hedgehog movie looked bad...

:laffo:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Bogus Adventure posted:

And I thought the Sonic The Hedgehog movie looked bad...

:laffo:

Honestly the designs look pretty similar

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
If I ever see this it will on hella drugs.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
This will be a sexual awakening for furry Hitler

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Thundercracker posted:

This will be a sexual awakening for furry Hitler

The Disney Robin Hood of Gen Z.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

nullEntityRNG posted:

It's an emperor's new clothes situation where the show was sold out for so long everyone assumed getting tickets to it was difficult because it was so good, but like everyone's said it isn't.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I said it in the RLM but this is the result of furries we picked on 10-15 years ago growing up and getting positions in Hollywood.

What i'm saying is we didnt go far enough.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Listen to this and then you will never have to watch or think about cats ever again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-L6rEm0rnY

Lovely Primate
Jan 21, 2011

You know, this may be one of the ugliest trailers I have ever seen, and this cgi does look a lot like a nightmare, but at least it stands out. I can genuinely kind of appreciate that, I think?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

JK Fresco posted:

Honestly the designs look pretty similar

I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same special effects studio, lol

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I’m been a very naughty jellicle

*makes creepy naughty face*

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

nullEntityRNG posted:

Thankfully I grew up watching good musicals, like Fiddler on the Roof.

It's one where you absolutely have to be in the right mindset for it because it's very esoteric. If you generally like musicals, you'll probably enjoy it. If you generally dislike musicals, you'll probably experience a murderous rage. Personally I like it enough but I wouldn't say it's the best musical ever, and it's certainly not the most accessible work ever produced.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Pretty much if you like T. S. Eliot

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Whitlam posted:

It's one where you absolutely have to be in the right mindset for it because it's very esoteric. If you generally like musicals, you'll probably enjoy it. If you generally dislike musicals, you'll probably experience a murderous rage. Personally I like it enough but I wouldn't say it's the best musical ever, and it's certainly not the most accessible work ever produced.

Musicals just seem corny and contrived, ime. I mean they get some following and charge stupid money on broadway but I’ve never got it. I wonder what the Tony ratings are. I think that where they hand statues to each other for them.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
In this cynical world, I love me some corny dramatic singing once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ritznit posted:

In this cynical world, I love me some corny dramatic singing once in a while.

Oh yeah, I get that, but not for $500.

E but then I paid $1000 for four cubs tickets so