Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

The gently caress prompts a response like that? Did he gently caress his cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why do all the cats want to die? I understand why the crusty ancient one wants to die because she’s miserable and all the other cats hate her but the rest of them seem to be living bomb-rear end lives being magicians or members of a crime syndicate and they love it

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Furries finally get their turn to jerk off in a movie theater.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I sure am glad we live in a society that dedicates hundreds of millions of dollars and infinite man-hours to creating this and not literally any other purpose.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Aesop Poprock posted:

Why do all the cats want to die? I understand why the crusty ancient one wants to die because she’s miserable and all the other cats hate her but the rest of them seem to be living bomb-rear end lives being magicians or members of a crime syndicate and they love it

Cats have nine lives because they keep living till they are sent to space cat hell

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
One of the cats is named “Jellicle Cat” and that always made me irrationally angry for some reason.

Jellicle Cat.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
I remember watching cats on Broadway when I was really young...

The only thing I remember about it was being incredibly pissed for some reason.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN4uNPq1baM

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Anxiously awaiting the Fancy Feast product placement.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

This will be a sexual awakening for furry Hitler

too late, Barron Trump is already 13

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Wanna see Garfield and Heathcliff fight like the jets and the sharks

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

nullEntityRNG posted:

Bad cgi abomination jokes aside is the actual play of cats any good?

it may surprise you to find that the intersection between andrew lloyd weber musical theater people and cat people is not, in fact, good

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Does "Memory" have anything to do with cats or was ALW just like "here's a song I want in my next play and also I want dancing cats in my next play too"

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Rummy tum tugger? He's a curious cat v🐱v

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Its not dying, its being born into a new life beyond earths atmosphere through powerful cat magic.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Does "Memory" have anything to do with cats or was ALW just like "here's a song I want in my next play and also I want dancing cats in my next play too"

Its a song that ties together the theme of Cats so while like there arent a bunch of lyrics about sticking your butthole in peoples faces its appropriate to the show.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Giant_Pupils posted:

One of the cats is named “Jellicle Cat” and that always made me irrationally angry for some reason.

Jellicle Cat.

The whole clan/society is called Jellicle Cats. No, I don't get it either.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

In middle school my parents took me to a traveling show of Cats.

This brought back the memory of watching the play and mishearing "Jellice Cats" as "Genital Hats" and thinking "Genital Hats? Condoms? They can't be singing about condoms. But what else could a Genital Hat mean? What the hell is going on?"

In the car ride home my parents asked me what I thought of it and I answered "It's alright. But why were they singing about Genital Hats? What does that mean?" And my mom laughed incredibly incredibly hard for the next 30 minutes.

But yeah I hate this trailer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its in the book its based on, and is a corruption of "dear little"

Goddamit why do I have so much knowledge of this loving disaster of a stage show

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Neelix?!?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Where's Pick? For some reason I feel like she can offer guidance and wisdom into the world of CATS

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Despite being a musical theoretically about cats, the Cats musical just occasionally has little racist bits where it hates on the chinese. Theyve removed all of them one at a time over the years as of 2016 but as late as 2000 they were still singing about Heathen Chinese

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Its in the book its based on, and is a corruption of "dear little"

Goddamit why do I have so much knowledge of this loving disaster of a stage show

someone make a Jellicle Goons gang tag

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Furries were absolutely not involved in this, or it would look like zootopia. No I fear this is worse, this was made by theatre kids

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SleepySonata posted:

I remember watching cats on Broadway when I was really young...

The only thing I remember about it was being incredibly pissed for some reason.

Me and my sister loved it but my mom had a panic attack when the cats came out into the audience and was fighting a primal instinct to flee

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kazak posted:

Where's Pick? For some reason I feel like she can offer guidance and wisdom into the world of CATS

We're talking about it in the Cind animation thread but barudak seems to know more than me. It's a less bad musical than Starlight Express, somehow

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
haha the fat cat falls down alot

Barudak
May 7, 2007

happyhippy posted:

haha the fat cat falls down alot

Jennyanydots rules over all Mice and Cockaroaches into doing her bidding and directs them in ways she views as better than their natural inclinations.

Cats is hosed up enough youre not sure if Im making this up

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZhzYeMKF_0

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Jennyanydots rules over all Mice and Cockaroaches into doing her bidding and directs them in ways she views as better than their natural inclinations.

Cats is hosed up enough youre not sure if Im making this up

Snopes finds this rumor: true

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/ianabramson/status/1151977667207372800?s=20

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
So is this movie for cats, or for people? Cause I gotta say, as a people, gosh, I don't think this is for me :(

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ritznit posted:

Jellicle Cat

Jellicle Cat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mooey Cow posted:

So is this movie for cats, or for people? Cause I gotta say, as a people, gosh, I don't think this is for me :(

Let me make it more confusing:

In the show Cats, the start of the show is the Cats stating their awareness of the human audience watching them and singing the opening number partially in their costumes but partially not to the point where it becomes ambiguous whether the show you watch in Cats is events occurring you are witnessing or rather a show the cats are putting on because they believe this show will be entertaining to humans.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Mooey Cow posted:

It's for people who want to stare into the abyss and laugh

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Giant_Pupils posted:

Jellicle Cat.

They are all called that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jellicle_cats

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Glad that this trailer has woken people up to the fact that Cats was never okay in the slightest. Who the gently caress sees a book of gently whimsical children’s poetry about cats being silly and thinks that the thing to do is turn it into melodramatic showtunes belted out by creeps dressed up as cats all tied together by a plot about suicide? Sure, I’ll get to it right after I finish adapting King Lear in the style of Dr Seuss.

Like people are losing their poo poo over the cg but the stage show’s character design is at least as bonkers. Maybe more so actually given the level of effort involved

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The story, within the show the Cats present, is about lives being defined by arbitrary and capricious individual moments and all of them are interesting and meaningful in some way.

If you assume the show cats occurs and is within the construct of a human world its about a bunch of cats yelling in an alleyway until one of them gets chosen to be shoved into a trash compactor.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

All of this Cats talk just reminded me that there was a “wacky next door neighbor” character in the long-running but underrated NBC show Caroline in the City whose day job was being in the chorus of Cats. That was how hard NBC leaned in to the “make all our shows *really* NYC-centric” thing after Friends and Seinfeld became hits.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Cats! Cats! Cats! Cats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cats seems like a great idea if you have a pocket full of psychedelics.