Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

...but what the description doesn't tell you is that in addition to damaging a transparent enemy, it also makes them lose transparency.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Sounds like they kind of want you to use Truth Stomp on them, does it reveal them from invisibility or just go through it?

ChaseSP posted:

If you can kill one first turn with the truth stomp it's not as much a concern, still it's not like you'd use truth stomp if you didn't know about it removing invisible plus the fight having no save point doesn't make experimenting appealing.

Sadly, Truth Stomp pierces invisibility, but does not remove it. I checked.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Quackles posted:

Sadly, Truth Stomp pierces invisibility, but does not remove it. I checked.

I just went and checked too, and got the same result, so I'm not sure why I was remembering it wrong. It also does more damage than I remember (2*base jump + 1) rather than (base jump + 1).

I take back everything I said about it, then, I'm pretty sure this is just a case of the badge being insufficiently good to justify using.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah wow that's trash then definitely.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah my biggest grievance with sticker star was that it had load out specific puzzles in both the field and the boss fights, and if you didn't have the right tool by chance or by guide you were hosed and had to go back and redo the level. (Or you won at huge cost and the game made fun of you for it, but that's another gripe)

I forgot to mention: I actually did a challenge run of Sticker Star where it was "Win each fight without using Thing Stickers, if it's at all possible." It was pretty fun, though Tower Power Pokey (the Chapter 2 boss) requires a very specific strategy; I also got hung up on beating Bowser without wearing Kersti, which pretty much requires you bring triple the number of Iron Jump stickers you think you need for the final phase...

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Quackles posted:

I forgot to mention: I actually did a challenge run of Sticker Star where it was "Win each fight without using Thing Stickers, if it's at all possible." It was pretty fun, though Tower Power Pokey (the Chapter 2 boss) requires a very specific strategy
That one was a nightmare for me because I didn't even find the Thing you're supposed to use until about two chapters later.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Jesus christ talk about slapping the player with their dick and calling them a bitch. I shudder to think how the fight’ll play out after they get their buff. This REALLY makes the game unappealing to play through if all they do is “nerf previously applicable tactics and items into ground and laugh at player afterwards”. loving absolute virtue bullshit again

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kemix posted:

Jesus christ talk about slapping the player with their dick and calling them a bitch. I shudder to think how the fight’ll play out after they get their buff. This REALLY makes the game unappealing to play through if all they do is “nerf previously applicable tactics and items into ground and laugh at player afterwards”. loving absolute virtue bullshit again

"Problem: too many people are putting points into BP and FP rather than HP.
Solution: have a fight after a dungeon that deals a ton of unpreventable damage, but don't let them heal or save until after the fight. Perfect."

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I kinda love how the surprise Boo fight manages to almost completely eclipse the (potentially) 13-damage bees in terms of "what the gently caress".

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
And so you got out of Forever Forest
Now your interest is close to being the sorest!
After coming off terrible hikes
You thought you were done with difficulty spikes!
A frightening fight involving three, not two
"A Boo, a boo, a boo," - you!
Hope you have plenty of health
And didn't allocate your points into badge wealth!
All this to meet with a specific ghost
This hack tests you the most!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

EorayMel posted:

And so you got out of Forever Forest
Now your interest is close to being the sorest!
After coming off terrible hikes
You thought you were done with difficulty spikes!
A frightening fight involving three, not two
"A Boo, a boo, a boo," - you!
Hope you have plenty of health
And didn't allocate your points into badge wealth!
All this to meet with a specific ghost
This hack tests you the most!

I'm trying to imagine this to the tune of Mystery Skulls' Ghost, with partial success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlEb3L1PIco

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Quantum Toast posted:

That one was a nightmare for me because I didn't even find the Thing you're supposed to use until about two chapters later.

Never played sticker star, but I fought Hooktail in TTYD without the cricket badge. Is that comparable?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

MR. J posted:

Never played sticker star, but I fought Hooktail in TTYD without the cricket badge. Is that comparable?

Not really. Hooktail can be a bit tough without the badge, but she's perfectly reasonable at that point.

Taking on a boss without the right Thing sticker means said boss will quarter your damage output and their offenses are pretty big. On top of having a massive HP pool you have to burn through. Like the first boss has 90 HP, and the 2nd boss has 300. Also unlike the Hooktail example where the badge's effects took place from the get-go, you had to use the Thing at the right point (You weren't really told when this was) or you straight up wasted it and have to either slog through the fight or basically restart. And using the right thing turned them into a complete and utter jokes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Araxxor posted:

Not really. Hooktail can be a bit tough without the badge, but she's perfectly reasonable at that point.

Taking on a boss without the right Thing sticker means said boss will quarter your damage output and their offenses are pretty big. On top of having a massive HP pool you have to burn through. Like the first boss has 90 HP, and the 2nd boss has 300. Also unlike the Hooktail example where the badge's effects took place from the get-go, you had to use the Thing at the right point (You weren't really told when this was) or you straight up wasted it and have to either slog through the fight or basically restart. And using the right thing turned them into a complete and utter jokes.

Keep in mind hook tail also let's you know to have something related to stuff that starts with c and ends with rickets, which is conveniently found in dungeon. And it did so IN ADVANCE. Sticker star often put the thing you needed in a different stage and the only way to find out which giant inventory hog(s) you had to lug around all stage was to wander into the boss and pray you had the right one. The game then went, "golly gee! Don't you think there was an easier way if you had bothered to think?"

The entire games "puzzle" design was so bad.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

bio347 posted:

I kinda love how the surprise Boo fight manages to almost completely eclipse the (potentially) 13-damage bees in terms of "what the gently caress".

Yeah, the mass bee encounters can gently caress off also. I really think the game is balanced around an assumption that you'll always nail every action command.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

This game's doom is that the numbers are low, so any noticeable change is relatively huge. Especially since there's no way to avoid damage, I'd be surprised if lategame fights don't all devolve into carefully planned damage-races.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah, at first I was kinda interested in this, but it seems to devolve into make numbers enemy numbers bigger = challenging way too fast. Super glad you're doing the LP so I don't hafta suffer

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
The bees don't seem that bad when you can potentially block all of their damage. Particularly compared to all the other enemies you've been fighting where best case scenario you still take tons of damage no matter what, I'm a bit surprised the bees are considered such a dealbreaker

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

The bees don't seem that bad when you can potentially block all of their damage. Particularly compared to all the other enemies you've been fighting where best case scenario you still take tons of damage no matter what, I'm a bit surprised the bees are considered such a dealbreaker

A lot of people like Paper Mario for being primarily a turn based RPG. Having specific enemies like Pokey Mummies and Bzzaps turn the game into a Press X To Not Die timing test feels, to those people, like a military shooter including occasional trivia questions that kill you if you get them wrong.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Sorites posted:

A lot of people like Paper Mario for being primarily a turn based RPG. Having specific enemies like Pokey Mummies and Bzzaps turn the game into a Press X To Not Die timing test feels, to those people, like a military shooter including occasional trivia questions that kill you if you get them wrong.

"The numbers, Mason, what do the numbers mean?"

A. Nuclear launch codes
B. Soviet brainwashing
C. Lottery numbers for January 1st, 2000
D. The amount of damage Bzzaps! do in Master Quest if you fail the action command.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

CountryMatters posted:

here's the thing you can't guarantee a 100% block especially with having to play it on an emulator, emulator lags at the wrong time? Computer decides 'lol what controller?' You're eating poo poo for reasons beyond your control. Long play time and you're starting to flag? And on top of it you have a fight at the end before a save point where you're taking 15-20 unavoidable damage.

And you're getting 2 star points for beating the bees, so it's not even worth fighting them for the effort and item cost expanded to beat them.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Robindaybird posted:

here's the thing you can't guarantee a 100% block especially with having to play it on an emulator, emulator lags at the wrong time? Computer decides 'lol what controller?' You're eating poo poo for reasons beyond your control. Long play time and you're starting to flag? And on top of it you have a fight at the end before a save point where you're taking 15-20 unavoidable damage.

And you're getting 2 star points for beating the bees, so it's not even worth fighting them for the effort and item cost expanded to beat them.

Also things like the Boos having a deliberately delayed attack to throw off all the other relatively quick defend timings doesn't help.

Especially if they start impervious to damage so you have actually 0 hope of killing even one before they attack you.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

The bees are also just tricky to block. I'm not sure why, but they've always been among the enemies in the base game I had the hardest time with the timing for. They're less of an exception in this hack, because a lot of the new attacks they added are similar multi-hits, but I still have a hard time with them.

At least the bees have low HP so you can generally kill them before they get a chance to attack you (at this point, Hammer Throw and Shell Shot can both one-shot them, so unless there are more than two in the group you can avoid being attacked by them). Unlike the Boos, which thanks to the transparency thing always get a free turn to whale on you before you can do anything about them.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sorites posted:

This reminds me of drakengard and drakengard 3 having the true final ending behind a boss that's a rhythm style game... Except you can't fail a single note or you have to redo it.

Oh did I mention that drakengard 1/3 are action rpgs and have no rhythm style mini games or fights until this very last one?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

You missed the "best" part: the last note you have to hit in Drakengard 3 doesn't come until after the boss seems defeated and the screen has faded to black.

Tricking players with weird input timings is one of the worst ways to create difficulty. At least Drakengard comes from a series and developer where hating the player is part of the experience (for better or worse), not sure what they're trying to achieve here.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

a false idea that players have to "Earn" their wins, and the more frustrated they feel, the more they're 'earning it'. Or that frustration is always correlates to genuine difficulty, and not artificial hurdles being put up to clotheslines players so they have to take longer to pass.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A thing I dislike about the Mario & Luigi RPGs compared to Paper Mario is that Mario & Luigi is much more focused around action commands.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Carbon dioxide posted:

A thing I dislike about the Mario & Luigi RPGs compared to Paper Mario is that Mario & Luigi is much more focused around action commands.

Its a very different game than Paper Mario, even if they share the same off kilter RPG trappings.
You can draw a very clean line to them as evolutions from SMRPG, with either game taking a certain aspect to a logical step up.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

The first version of my previous post actually referenced the ending of Drakengard without naming the game, but I was afraid it would be laughed off as too stupid to be true.

Yes, even compared to what I ended up putting.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

You missed the "best" part: the last note you have to hit in Drakengard 3 doesn't come until after the boss seems defeated and the screen has faded to black.

Tricking players with weird input timings is one of the worst ways to create difficulty. At least Drakengard comes from a series and developer where hating the player is part of the experience (for better or worse), not sure what they're trying to achieve here.

Final Song is amazing. Change my mind. :smugbert:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

The bees are also just tricky to block. I'm not sure why, but they've always been among the enemies in the base game I had the hardest time with the timing for. They're less of an exception in this hack, because a lot of the new attacks they added are similar multi-hits, but I still have a hard time with them.

For the 'small bee' attack, there's five bees you have to guard that are one after the other. I think the timing is pretty precise and possibly more precise than standard guard windows.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Even better. The final note actually comes after the characters start talking.

Now that's some trolling.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I mean, you can only go so far with pumping up numbers. Unless they changed the level cap you can only get to 50HP without some Chet Rippo shenanigans or HP Plus badges.

I feel like it's going to level out by chapter 4 or 5 because they blew their "let's make everything kill you in two rounds" load too early.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

a false idea that players have to "Earn" their wins, and the more frustrated they feel, the more they're 'earning it'. Or that frustration is always correlates to genuine difficulty, and not artificial hurdles being put up to clotheslines players so they have to take longer to pass.

The other side of this too, is that there are players who also feel this way. I have seen many people complain about a given Dark Souls boss being too easy because they "only" died 8 times. Some people do seem to genuinely feel that a victory isnt earned unless you've smashed your skull against a wall 15 times.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
From what I've seen looking ahead the difficulty does kind of level out after a while. As in, it reaches a certain plateau of 'gently caress you' hard and doesn't really climb beyond that, partially because it assumes you will be at max level.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Part 19: Mario In the Dark

It’s time to take on the haunted mansion!

Music: Haunted Mansion

I like the old-fashioned yet eerie style.
The chandelier and the display case look like they’re valuable antiques.
Even the sofa in the foyer looks like it’s pricey, even though it’s a bit worn.
I love antiques. I wouldn’t mind taking a good look at these things.

On the ground floor, we have a staircase going up, a display case on the back left (interacting with it does nothing), a door on the right side, and the aforementioned sofa.

It seems the sofa has a big secret— a hidden spring in the seat that launches Mario up to the chandelier!

As Mario grabs on, his weight pulls the chandelier down, revealing a secret door behind the gallery… but it closes once we drop down to the floor.

A giant Boo jumps out at us when we investigate the other door. Boooooo!
(This happens the first time the player tries to open a door in the mansion, and then never again.)

In this room is… a wooden cover over a hole in the floor, a big vase, some crates, and a rocking chair.

This room does have a lot of space, but it's still a shame to use it for storage.
That pot and those wooden boxes look suspicious...
There's also a weakened spot on the floor. Look... under the chandelier.
Hey, check it out! A real old rocking chair! These things rule!
It rocks back and forth when you sit on it. I love napping in these.

The chair does indeed rock back and forth if you stand on it.

And if you jump into the big vase, you come out as 8-bit Mario! The classic theme plays, too.

If you leave the room as 8-Bit Mario, you emerge as regular Mario. Oh well.

On the second floor, there’s two doors and several portraits - one of which has an empty frame.

That one rattles and talks to us, promising a way up to the third floor if we give it… something missing.

Inside the nearby room, there’s a big rug, a bed in the back corner, a chandelier, and a stack of wardrobes on the left wall.

Wow! What a gorgeous chandelier! If they actually cleaned it, it would brighten this place up.

The darker-colored wardrobes rattle, then fall on Mario! This does 1 damage.

And in the light-colored one…

A circle of dancing ghosts! And they’ve got… a record?

Do your best, like we practiced!

The Boos in the circle float clockwise, while the Boo with the record floats counterclockwise.

We catch the moment of the handoff…

Hey, hey, Boos and Boos! Who’s got it? Choose, choose!

…and hammer the Boo in possession.

The Boos fade away, and we get… a record? What are we going to do with this?

We soon find out. In the left-side room on the second floor is a chest guarded by a Boo, and— a record player.

The Boo in front of the chest is not happy about his job, but he’s not gonna let us open the chest.

We can play the record player by putting the record onto it and pressing A at the right tempo.
The record has a catchy tune on it, and the guard Boo comes over to dance!
I recommend setting the video to 1.25x speed - that’s about what it sounds like in game.

…allowing us to dash over there and burgle the chest. It has… a weight inside? We seem to keep finding mysterious items in this mansion.

The weight turns out to be the perfect thing to hold down the chandelier in the foyer. Now we can get in the secret door!

This room has another chandelier, a treasure chest, and a stairway leading down.

Opening the chest gives Mario… a big surprise!!

At the bottom of the stairs is a basement, which a bunch of stuff in storage and a grandfather clock. There’s also a door.

The room on the other side has some crates, and a door on the right wall. That’s about it.

A storage room... isn't it? You'd think those candles would provide a bit more light.

Through the door is a room with more crates. Oh, and we’re trapped.

Another storage room, I guess. Not a whole lot here, as far as I can tell.
Hey, incidentally, what happened to the door...?

There’s also a large chest and a boarded-up hole in the floor. Inside the chest…

…are more Boos! And they’ve got a sweet pair of boots along with ‘em.

Music: Bow's Mansion (Waltz)

This time, the Boos toss the Boots between them as they float around the circle.

Hey, hey, Boos and Boos! Who’s got it? Choose, choose!

We hammer the unlucky Boo and retrieve the Super Boots! This swanky footwear sends Mario’s Jump Attack power up to 2, for a total of 4 damage per timed Jump attack (putting it in line with the Hammer).

We can also do the Spin Jump, which will let us smash wooden floor covers like the one right behind us.

With one last scary face, the Boo circle disappears, and we’re alone in the room… almost.

A Boo that stays behind lets us know about Star Piece floor panels!

These are hidden all over the Mushroom Kingdom, and Mario can find them by Spin Jumping on the ground.

We also smash the crates here, and find a Maple Syrup.

Now it’s time to head down!

Music: Haunted Mansion
The music won’t stay upbeat in the Mansion until we defeat Tubba Blubba.

We smash the cover and drop down into a room with a bunch of old furniture.

We hammer a switch, which makes a bigger switch drop down…

Which make stairs appear on the left side of the room, leading back up to the main basement level.

There’s also an item shop in this room, but it doesn’t look like we can do anything in it right now.

Smashing a crate at the top of the stairwell, we find a Super Shroom.

There’s another hidden floor panel in front of the grandfather clock in the basement…

And yet another by the ground floor sofa.

Back in the room with the big vase, there’s several things to do here.

We smash another crate and get an Apple! This is the only place to get them, and it’s an important part of one of Tayce T.’s recipes later.

More importantly, though, we can smash the floor panel in the center of the room.

We do so, and find ourself on top of a bunch of bookshelves.

Parakarry carries us over a gap between shelves, and we find a portrait of a Boo. Our long journey is almost over.

There’s also a stack of crates we can only jump to from this bookshelf. When we smash them, it turns out there’s a Star Piece at the bottom.

The only way out is by blowing up a cracked wall… and we find ourselves in the basement again. Time to use that portrait!

With the chandelier permanently weighed down, the sofa is a quick (if inelegant) way to get to the second floor.

The painting becomes a Boo-in-a-frame…

Who lets us jump into him to get to the third floor.

Time to meet a cute ghost.

Bow is the lady of the mansion!

I’m Bootler, the butler.

The favor, as you’d expect, has to deal with the ghost-eating Tubba Blubba, who lives at the top of Gusty Gulch.

Of course, you’ll get a reward for doing us this service.

Awwww, crap.

She’s got us over a barrel!

You would have had to fight Tubba Blubba to save this Star Spirit anyway, right?
This way, you help us Boos, too.

Wait, what?

…My lady? What did you say just now?
You? At Tubba Blubba’s Castle? Quite out of the question!
I simply cannot allow you to put yourself in such danger!

Still your tongue, Bootler! I’ve seen too much suffering caused by Tubba Blubba.

Remind me never to get on Bow’s bad side.

Is this all right, Mario?

Bow is what we in the biz call an ohohohohojousama. And now she’s along for the ride. Hoo!

There’s a few more things to do before we get out of here. First off is another star piece panel in the 2nd-floor room with the wardrobe.

Franky the Boo has appeared on the ground floor, so Parakarry can pass on that letter.

He has a return letter, this one to a Toad kid by the train station.

And Igor, at Boo’s Shop, will now sell us stuff!

The shop has changed slightly compared to the original Paper Mario. There, they sold Life Shrooms for 50 coins. This has been replaced by Thunder Rages for 20. Additionally, Stop Watches (for 25 coins) are swapped out for Tasty Tonics (for 9) - much less useful.

Super Shrooms cost 2 Coins more, Maple Syrup costs 5 Coins less, and Mysteries cost 2 Coins more.

Normally, at this point, we’d head straight into Gusty Gulch, but Mario is going back to Toad Town first. Now that we have the Super Boots, we can pick up a very important badge.

As soon as we set foot into Forever Forest, we hear a loud, scared yell. Who could that be?

…oh.

Hey! Shut up! Shut uuuuup! I’m not a lost child!
I’m your worst nightmare! Here comes the pain!

(Normally, we’d fight Jr. Troopa after Chapter 3 was over, but the game queues up the fight as soon as we get the Super Boots, to keep us from skipping it via warp pipe.)

I’ve hired some of Bowser’s goons. Do you know what that means? It means you’re in trouble!

Jr. Troopa had all this up his sleeve and he still got scared by the forest? Jeez.

It's Jr. Troopa. I can't get enough of this guy!
Waa ha ha ha! Did the little guy get lost in the big, bad forest?
Apparently he's grown wings, so he can fly now. You'll have to jump to reach him.
He's a bit stronger, so it may be worth it to use any items you have to attack him.

Goombario also has something very important to say about Troopa’s little helper.

This is a Dark Koopa.
Dark Koopas are Koopa Troopas who live in the Toad Town Tunnels. They’re known for causing dizziness.
Be extra careful when you see ‘em grin, because that means they’re getting ready to do their dizzy attack.
Their Defense power drops when they’re turned over, so you should use Jump attacks.

We jump on the Dark Koopa to knock it out of dizzy-mode. Dark Koopas have a Defense of 3 when standing up (2 originally). Their flipped Defense was 0 in the base game, but the Master Quest devs have increased it to 1. They also have 3 more HP than before.

Jr. Troopa, comparatively, is a lot weaker than in vanilla Paper Mario! There, he had 40 HP. Here he has only 15, and the power of his flying attack has been reduced from 5 to 4. We have Zap Tap on, so he takes chip damage.

Dark Koopas now get up and attack immediately, though it looks like jumping on them will keep them from doing their dizzy attack when they get up. They have +3 Attack compared to the original game.

The Koopa goes back to dizzy mode. Mario jumps on him to get him to quiet down, while Goombario Charges.

Even though we jumped on the Dark Koopa… it gets up and does its Dizzy attack anyway! It turns out jumping on them has a chance to stop them from using their Dizzy attack when they get up, but it’s not guaranteed.

The Dizzy attack doesn’t have a block timing - it just straight up makes Mario Dizzy for 2 turns. Ooof!

With Mario out of the picture, we spend our charge, doing 4 (1+3) damage to the Dark Koopa. Otherwise, it’ll just make Mario Dizzy again for sure.

Mario, being Dizzy, can’t guard Jr. Troopa’s attack. The Dark Koopa just makes us dizzy again.

Which also happens again next turn, after Jr. Troopa’s bonked us for 4 again.

The Dark Koopa isn’t smiling, so it’ll attack normally this turn. We Charge so we can get rid of it the next turn, but Mario is still dazed - we take 10 from the enemies’ attacks.

At this point, Goombario can KO the Dark Koopa, and Mario’s dizziness has finally worn off - but holy moly, that was close!

Goombario headbonks the Dark Koopa into next week, and through a carefully timed block we avoid keeling over. Now we just have to…

Seriously?

OK, so tactical break here. Mario needs to heal or he’ll bite it. The best healing item in my inventory right now is Spaghetti, at 10 HP. If I use that, I get dizzy-locked and take several attacks sorting it out, and probably bite it later.

On the partner side of things, to do anything other than Headbonk or Charge, I’d have to switch partners, so we’d miss out on the heal. In that case, the only thing that would save me would be Bow’s Outta Sight, and I’d still be in the same situation next turn but without a partner use.

There is one other option: Lullaby and hope it takes out both enemies.

It stops the Koopa, at least. If we can Close Call Jr. Troopa’s next attack, we’ll have the breathing room to hoist ourselves out of this.

We get the dodge!

From Goombario’s Headbonk, it turns out Jr. Troopa has 1 Defense now.

Goombario promptly Charges, and we eat that plate of Spaghetti.

We can now KO Jr. Troopa, so we do.

There’s a secret to dealing with Dark Koopas, and I just realized it: as long as the Dark Koopa is lining up another dizzy attack, and it’s by itself, it’s no threat to us (because the dizzy attack doesn’t do any damage).

So Goombario can just charge on dizzy turns - and, as a bonus, it turns out that the dizzy attack has a small chance to fail.

With the Koopa ready to go dizzy-making once again, we charge to +4.

As the Koopa is still in the mood, we max out Goombario’s charge, at +6.

Goombario is now maxed out, and that Dark Koopa still wants to spin things around. I got curious, so I had a look at the base game’s source code and compared that to Master Quest v1.0.1’s.

It turns out that Dark Koopas will line up their dizzy shell attack 70% of the time, compared to 30% for the actually-damaging bonk. They’ll decide which attack to use next at the end of their previous attacking turn - or, when they get up from being flipped. This doesn’t appear to have been changed in Master Quest - it’s just how Dark Koopas roll. Er, spin.

Goombario, now crackling with power, OHKOs the Dark Koopa after three turns charging.

And Donlee doubles our Star Points again!! Thanks, Donlee!

We level up immediately, and choose BP. We’re going to need a good chunk of BP to equip the badge we’re going back to collect.

Jr. Troopa runs for it.

We get out of the forest quite easily - each path that doesn’t lead farther in automatically dumps Mario at the entrance.

Hopefully this is the last we’ll see of Jr. Troopa for a while.

Back in Toad Town, Donlon looks like he has something on his mind.

I did a shakedown last night, and got some good information.
I got what I wanted, but he also said…
“If you keep going around and around the red palm tree in the distant desert town, -- Dry Dry Outpost --, something good will happen."
So he said. It doesn’t concern a man such as myself.
But, I appreciate the work you’re doing for me, so I thought you would like to hear about it.
If you ever go check it out, let me know.

We warp to Dry Dry Outpost and walk circles around the tree a few times, until…

What? You’re joking. You believe some crazy guy?
Well, OK… I guess…

(This is a typo. That should say, “Donlon’s house.”)

Ha ha ha… I just made that up! You’ll probably go try it, though, since you believe anything.

Well, since he asked so nicely…

Huh?
Oh, this Badge is Quick Change!
I had no idea such a useful badge was in my attic…
Mario, you are a very lucky man. You should put that badge on.

Quick Change lets us switch partners freely without using up a turn to do it. We will have it on for most of the rest of the game - and, if that’s not cool enough, the Master Quest devs have reduced its BP needed from 4 to 3!

While we’re back in Toad Town, we can deliver Franky the Boo’s letter.

I didn’t think it would really come…
All the kids in Toad Town have been talking about this invitation, wondering if it was for real.
But... now that it's come, I guess I have to go... Mini T., are you brave enough to go with me?
Uhhhh... You know, I'm really kind of busy and... Oh! Yeah! I just had the greatest idea!

You just got a letter from that kid last week, didn't you? You know! That letter you got from the island?
Let's send a letter back to him and tell him about the scary adventure we're gonna have.
Hey! Mr. Postman! Take this letter to the red Yoshi Kid in Yoshi's Village!

Yoshi’s Island is way out in the ocean, so our letter-delivering adventure is once again on hold. Instead, let’s head back to Boo’s Mansion and resume the main story.

I don’t particularly fancy hiking back through Forever Forest, so we’re going to unlock the shortcut in the Toad Town Tunnels.

With our Spin Jump, we crash through a hole in the floor and wind up on a lower level of the sewers. There’s a dock to the right, but we can’t use it until we have Sushie, from Chapter 5, as a partner.

We go left… and the door locks behind us! We end up in a room with 3 Dark Koopas.

The first Dark Koopa has a friend, and a Spiked Paragloomba.

We target down the Paragloomba, as the formation’s no trouble otherwise.

We get made Dizzy from the Koopas. Interestingly, the Spiked Paragloomba’s attack (which has a Shrink effect) removes Dizzy because we can’t dodge. (Mario can only have one status effect on him at a time.)

Parakarry Shell Shots the Paragloomba, KOing it, and we Refresh to restore FP.

We get Dizzied again, but here we run into some trouble. Both the Dark Koopas are planning to attack for 6 each, and Mario isn’t due to recover from Dizzy until the end of next turn.

So, we switch to Goombario (without using our turn because of our new badge), and flip one of the Koopas.

It dizzies us instead, and we only take 6 damage.

Next turn, we bonk the other one that is planning a damaging attack, and so on.

Mario gets dizzied a lot, but we finish the battle by charging when dizzy attacks are coming, and bonking when we can OHKO or to keep damaging attacks at bay. We take only 6 more damage this way.

(We also end up finishing off our Donlee contract during this battle. We’ll go back to Dry Dry Outpost to renew it after the episode’s over.)

The Dark Koopa we just beat drops a POW Block! I’m sure we can find a use for this.

The second Dark Koopa in this room is paired up with a Spiked Gloomba and a Paragloomba.

We Lullaby, but it only hits the Spiked Gloomba. Still, it’s a step in the right direction.

Switching to Parakarry, we try and find out if Dark Koopas can be Air Lifted. It turns out they can.

With the Dark Koopa gone, the battle becomes normal. We try out the new badge we got on our last trip to the sewers - Power Smash - to quickly KO the Spiked Gloomba.

It turns out Power Smash has been buffed. It does +3 damage instead of +2! This is quite useful.

We heal up with another Super Shroom, then jump into the third Dark Koopa battle.

We try Lullaby again, but it only hits the one Dark Koopa. We use Parakarry to get rid of the other.

At this point, the Dark Koopa is going to attack us normally, and the Gloombas have taken chip damage from Zap Tap. We get rid of the Paragloomba with a Jump attack and a Shell Shot. (Paragloombas don’t have Defense - only Spiked Gloombas and Spiked Paragloombas do.)

We do the same again next turn, leaving only the Dark Koopa.

…who we can defeat at our leisure.

We get another Pow Block from this Dark Koopa. There’s also a switch…

Which makes a warp pipe appear!

And just like that, we’re back at Boo’s Mansion.

Badges: 36/89 (New: Quick Change)

Recipes: 10/50

Star Pieces: 48/180?

Chuck Quizmo’s Quiz Questions: 18/64?

Game Overs (this time): None, but we had a very close call with Jr. Troopa ‘cause we didn’t know what to expect.
Game Overs (total): 7.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES FROM MAIN GAME (in this installment)

• Igor’s Shop, in Boo’s Mansion, sells Thunder Rages and Tasty Tonics instead of Life Shrooms and Stop Watches.
• Jr. Troopa much, much more scared of The Forest of Perpetual Night and Terrible Dangers. (-25 HP, -1 Attack.)
• Jr. Troopa hires Dark Koopa bodyguard. They’ve trained for Master Quest. (+3 HP, +3 Attack, +1 Defense. Once flipped, they get up and attack in the same turn. Now immune to Dizzy.)
• Quick Change badge costs 1 BP less to equip.
• Power Smash badge does +3 damage instead of +2.

Next Time On Master Quest: Clefts unionize.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Fighting Dark Koopas in this seems really tedious and not fun at all.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ah, Quick Change, the most indispensable badge in the entire series. They made it cost so much in the second game, cause they knew it was too good for our mortal human hands.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Quackles posted:

Even though we jumped on the Dark Koopa… it gets up and does its Dizzy attack anyway! It turns out jumping on them has a chance to stop them from using their Dizzy attack when they get up, but it’s not guaranteed.

The Dizzy attack doesn’t have a block timing - it just straight up makes Mario Dizzy for 2 turns. Ooof!

Is that Master Quest exclusive? I remember being able to block the dizzying attacks of the Dark Koopa; but it was just as vague as to when you could block that in the original Paper Mario.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Tactless Ogre posted:

Is that Master Quest exclusive? I remember being able to block the dizzying attacks of the Dark Koopa; but it was just as vague as to when you could block that in the original Paper Mario.

You could block the dizzy attack in the base game. You had to, otherwise you could very easily get stunlocked in the later parts of Toad Town Tunnels. Was it really taken out in Master Quest? Cause that's kind of lovely if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

CascadeBeta posted:

Fighting Dark Koopas in this seems really tedious and not fun at all.

Yeah enemies that can just tell you to sit your rear end down with no chance to block combined with the Boos from last update makes me worried that the game from here on out will just derive most of its difficulty from hard HP checks.

Don't have enough health to survive being stunned for two rounds? Haha go gently caress yourself.