Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Alxprit posted:

In my experience any balance patches that have ever existed are just hard-types under a different name.

Mainly because when the people MAKING the game think of balance, they think of "balanced so that young children can play the game and not get frustrated", whereas when most hackers think "Balance", they think "Difficult for experienced gamers, but still possible".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Because the kind of people who would make hacks are inherently super insanely into the game, and thus go "I'll rebalance this so it's balanced for me, which is clearly the normal level that the balance should be at"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There are exceptions, but they're not usually for singleplayer, and often involve games with multiple difficulties, so that the designers have to at least countenance non-masochism in their core thought process. The payday 2 mod I'm on started out by making the top difficulties of that game less difficult, at least from most perspectives.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I just finished catching up on this thread, and I've had a question burning in my head since seeing that ridiculous Anti Guy fight: Did MQ fix the glitch that let you skip that Anti Guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64OqUzu8d_E

Because if not, I think it'd be pretty great if you (eventually) defeated the Anti Squad with their own badge.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

LAY-ZX posted:

I just finished catching up on this thread, and I've had a question burning in my head since seeing that ridiculous Anti Guy fight: Did MQ fix the glitch that let you skip that Anti Guy?

Because if not, I think it'd be pretty great if you (eventually) defeated the Anti Squad with their own badge.

I recall saying a while back that the MQ team fixed exactly one clipping glitch.

The one they fixed was indeed the Power Plus chest, sadly.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
You can get in still. It takes way more effort. You can't get out though. You have to face them. Stryker did it on his stream then got murdered.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

You can get in still. It takes way more effort. You can't get out though. You have to face them. Stryker did it on his stream then got murdered.

his slow realization that he could get in but not back out was extremely funny

he ended up doing it that way anyway because the anti-guy squad is way easier with power plus

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Even better.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I mean, as far as clip fixes that's the best way to do it in my opinion. You can still sneak past and take the badge, but you always have to fight them no matter which order you do it in if you want the badge.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Quackles Joins the Dev Team

You're probably wondering what's up with the generalized radio silence for the last bit. Well...

I've ended up on the MQ dev team. I'm helping them fix various bugs in the game - the next release is planned to fix the Partner Swap Crash I showcased after the Big Lantern Ghost fight.

On my part, I'm writing the Dark Koopa anti-stunlock code, the Big Lantern Ghost anti-stunlock code, and a crapton of text fixes. I also made it so that Buzzar only says "can't fool me again" if you tell him you're Luigi on the return trip - before, he'd also say it if you told him you were Mario or Princess Peach.

The LP will continue, once a few annoying bugs have been given the boot!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Going from a player and critic to actually directly affecting the game is one hell of a jump.

Fitting, considering what franchise we're talking about :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

This lp has been quite the trip. It's like the inverse of the dk64 lp.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Oh no

OH NO

You're being eaten by the game!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Going from a player and critic to actually directly affecting the game is one hell of a jump.

Fitting, considering what franchise we're talking about :v:

The American dream is alive and well

You go, Quackles! That's so cool!

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
This has quite possibly become the least blind LP I've ever read!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I suppose that "Make the game less heinous" isn't on the list of proposed fixes?

Zakrelo posted:

Good point; I hope that Quackles doesn't get "spoiled" too badly

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zakrelo posted:

It was fun to go back to the first post and read the increasingly lengthy strike outs when he described it being a blind run.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

JustJeff88 posted:

I suppose that "Make the game less heinous" isn't on the list of proposed fixes?

Well, Dark Koopas and the Big Lantern Ghost won't stunlock you (and the BLG won't stunlock your partner, either). And the 1-turn duration for Volt Shrooms is reverted to its original period in the base game, so there's that.

Being on the dev team does mean I'm beholden to Thamz and Rain (other head dev) in this regard, so I wouldn't expect any enemies' stats to be lowered. I might see if I can get the team to agree to reduce Pokey Mummies' Attack by 1, but don't expect success.

quote:

Good point; I hope that Quackles doesn't get "spoiled" too badly

This stopped being a blind LP a long time ago.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Congratulations, and good luck!

I still haven't gotten around to trying the current version, I think I burned myself out after my last run. But I probably will at some point, if you need more feedback.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Have those hurt plants get spikes Quackles I believe in you :3:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Well, the status stomp badges (Dizzy Stomp, Shrink Stomp, Sleep Stomp) will all have a base 100% proc rate now. Enemies' resistances will still affect it, though.

That said, it looks like the updated patch might be some ways off. We're waiting on a new version of Star Rod that fixes certain issues, there have been some palette things that I'm fixing... and the game crashes if you try to play General Guy (possibly other chapter bosses) with the current under-the-hood changes.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Any chance the issues keeping it from running on Everdrive will be fixed?

I mean, it's a terrible idea for base Master Quest with all the save state scumming expected, but MQ Jr. might be feasible.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

gourdcaptain posted:

Any chance the issues keeping it from running on Everdrive will be fixed?

I mean, it's a terrible idea for base Master Quest with all the save state scumming expected, but MQ Jr. might be feasible.

Not sure. Everdrive compatibility is at least partly on clover, maker of the Star Rod modding tools for Paper Mario. It might be possible in future, but I personally don't know.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Quackles posted:

Well, the status stomp badges (Dizzy Stomp, Shrink Stomp, Sleep Stomp) will all have a base 100% proc rate now. Enemies' resistances will still affect it, though.

This is a very important change, and goes a long way toward making this more strategic/puzzle based and reducing the feel-bad moments of "I had the right strategy, but the RNG decided to say gently caress you". I like this.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm a big believer in minimising randomness regardless, but if one is going to do a game based on a "one true solution" philosophy then there needs to be as few RNG-dependant things as can be.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Quackles posted:

That said, it looks like the updated patch might be some ways off. We're waiting on a new version of Star Rod that fixes certain issues, there have been some palette things that I'm fixing... and the game crashes if you try to play General Guy (possibly other chapter bosses) with the current under-the-hood changes.

Sounds like positive changes, apart from the crashing.

Tangentially related, if anyone's itching for more of this stuff to tide them over, Stryder7x delivers once again by torturing himself with a quick and dirty "hard mode" hack of TTYD.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KeiraWalker posted:

Sounds like positive changes, apart from the crashing.

The crashing is fixed in the latest beta build... I think. The big sandbaggy issue right now is actually called "cake skip", right now: where game flags aren't properly cleared on starting a new file, making the game always act as if Mario ate the dodgy cake under certain circumstances.

Unfortunately, that's up to clover (maker of the Star Rod editor) to fix, as the fault is in the file-handling logic to allow expanded ROM space - Star Rod is closed source, so I can't see it myself.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 10, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MQ Dev update:

I am responsible for this, and I'm not sorry at all.

(Parabuzzies will replace Dry Bubbles in Dry Dry Ruins. They are immune to jumping attacks and cannot be grounded, but weak to Hammer Throw.)

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Is there any way to beat them at that point in the game besides Hammer Throw, or are they another keyhole encounter that needs one precise solution?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sorites posted:

Is there any way to beat them at that point in the game besides Hammer Throw, or are they another keyhole encounter that needs one precise solution?

Well, they have 2 Defense (same as regular Buzzies), so a sufficient amount of Shell Shots/Sky Dives will also work - Hammer Throw will just OHKO them. I made sure that Goombario will tell you about their weakness in the Tattle:

This is a Parabuzzy. A nasty Buzzy Beetle that got wings from somewhere.
Some Paragoombas might not agree with me, but this is what peak flying performance looks like.
Their shells are so hard that jump attacks'll just bounce off! And I don't think we can knock 'em down, either.
I bet they wouldn't like a hammer to the face, though.
They probably look cute when they're asleep, but don't tell them I said that!

I'm personally fine with this change because they replace Dry Bubbles in the Ruins, which did more damage while attacking and also couldn't be jumped on.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

:yeshaha:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I hope that you are not violating some kind of Non-Disclosure Agreement, Quackles.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

JustJeff88 posted:

I hope that you are not violating some kind of Non-Disclosure Agreement, Quackles.

I haven't signed anything.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

JustJeff88 posted:

shut up bitch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Quackles posted:

I haven't signed anything.

*Dev sighs and unsheathes Anti-General Guy for breaking an implied NDA*

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dev Blog Update: Badges 'n' Items

So, as you may have noticed, there hasn't been much activity with this Let's Play. This is because I'm helping the MQ devs. But I do have some cool changes to share that'll be in the upcoming version...

Truth Stomp Damage Boost

Truth Stomp is getting buffed: it now does +1 damage per hit to invisible enemies. (The FP cost has gone up to 2 FP to put it in line with Power Jump.) This means that you'll be able to KO Banditos through invisibility, and it should make a certain annoying Boo fight easier. There may be other uses for it, but I'll leave those to be figured out later.

Status Stomp Effectiveness

I mentioned this before, but now it's implemented. The base inflict rate of status jump badges (Shrink Stomp, Sleep Stomp, and Dizzy Stomp) is now 100%. It was 75% in the base game, and never got changed... until now.

Multi-Smash Recoil

Multi-Smash (a badge that lets you do three 5-damage hammer attacks on one enemy in a turn, keeping charge bonuses for all three attacks) has been reworked slightly. It now does 3 damage to Mario as recoil once the attack salvo has finished. This is primarily to reduce its utility when used in Peril, as the +4 bonus from Mega Rush was applied to every hit.

This particular change is the result of a multi-way compromise; everyone had a different idea for how to change the badge. Suggestions included:

• [Me] That the badge ignore Mega Rush's damage boost, but be increased to 6 damage per hit from 5 (turned down on the grounds of, how do you communicate that to the player?)
• [Thamz] That using the badge debuff Mario's Attack by 1 after the attack ended (turned down because, ew).
• [the streamer kappy] Change base damage to 5-3-1 instead of 5-5-5 (turned down because it wouldn't necessarily address the 'use in peril' aspects)
• [Brotenko] That the badge be removed entirely, or changed to make Mario Dizzy after the attack (I think he was joking in both cases)
• [Thamz] That the badge do 5 damage recoil to Mario, preventing use in Danger and Peril both.

This last one was the least obnoxious to everybody present, once the amount of recoil was decreased to 3 (allowing use of it in Danger, sustainable Danger use with HP Drain, or use in Peril with a Life Shroom.) So that's how it is now.

Life Shrooms Are Back! (But Slightly Different)

Life Shrooms are once again purchaseable in Boo's Shop! The player no longer needs to worry about rationing them until the end of the game.

However, their behavior is changed. Life Shrooms now stack - when Mario bites it, up to 5 will be used from his inventory at once, restoring 10 HP per Life Shroom consumed. This has the benefit of giving players a larger safety net when faced with high-damage enemies, and re-enabling the ability to bring a Life Shroom into most fights in case of mistakes— in exchange for the drawback that it's not really possible to revive more than two times per fight.

More updates later, maybe. It looks like some of the EX (Star Temple) bosses might be getting reworks...

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Oh, wow. Those are some interesting changes.

I don't think I ever used Multi-Smash, but I also tend not to be fond of Danger/Peril strategies so I would definitely not have found that issue. This nerf sounds a bit like overkill to me, but I guess we'll see where things go from here.

Stackable Life Shrooms in particular is a really good fix for the problem though, I like that idea a lot. That will definitely create some interesting decisions.

Are the cooking recipes going to be changed back now, as well, or is the plan to leave those as is? (I'm just mentioning that in case anyone overlooked it, I'd think it's probably better to change them back so it's easier to track for completion purposes if people care. Then again, I may well be the only person who does.)

I'm also tempted to suggest looking at those bosses who had scripted "counters" to Life Shrooms, because a lot of those were pretty wonky as it was (in particular, I'm thinking of Kent C. Koopa, who often had the scripted event trigger multiple times or on multiple turns if you had more than one shroom with you), and with the new system there's no longer a need for that.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
I actually kinda like that life shroom change. Not only does it give you a nice safety net, but depending on the foe, if you're using danger/peril strats, it's now easy to set Mario's HP to any multiple of 10 up to 50 for setups. It can open up a whole lot of strategy like this.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

Are the cooking recipes going to be changed back now, as well, or is the plan to leave those as is? (I'm just mentioning that in case anyone overlooked it, I'd think it's probably better to change them back so it's easier to track for completion purposes if people care. Then again, I may well be the only person who does.)

The original recipe for Sweet Shrooms, for reference, was Cake Mix + Ultra Shroom or Life Shroom. I'm disinclined to revert the recipe change, because [1] Sweet Shrooms are now very easy to make cheaply, so it's possible to use them for money grinding as well as quick healing, [2] dealing with the recipe table is black magic and I don't want to touch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Though you're only getting two revives in a fight at most (at the cost of 6+ Lifeshooms clogging your inventory), it's not a terrible change to lifeshooms. Better than...you know, kneecapping players outright with an extremely limited supply of shooms AND giving some bosses a middle finger to players who DARE to bring one of those limited resources into a fight, I can only hope the bosses with those "counters" are reverted back to pre-"gently caress you and your lifeshooms too" status.