Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

What's the Luigi challenge mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Quackles posted:

Sadly, I don't think VLC offers the capabilities of a nonlinear video editor (for GIF generation and etc.)

To be clear, Camtasia is not dropping frames: Camtasia faithfully recorded OpenEmu dropping frames. I'd risk the same happening with OBS.

oh poo poo. why openemu and not just pj64?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Sorites posted:

What's the Luigi challenge mode?

I thought Quackles mentioned it in one of the earlier updates, but looking back it doesn't seem like it (the Luigi challenge is actually a hold-over from the Pro Mode hack, it was in that too). Basically, if you talk to Luigi in Peach's castle during the prologue, he'll describe the challenge and offer to enable it. It makes it so Mario can't level up, but has effectively unlimited BP (although I think there's still some inherent game limitation on how many badges you can equip, I'm not 100% sure how that works but I know you can't just slap everything on). I haven't tried it yet so I can't really say more than that.

Also, I just want to say, because I don't think I have yet... Quackles, I really like how you're presenting the battles in this LP, especially the bosses. It's very clear what's happening and you're doing a good job conveying both what makes them difficult and how the strategic options you're choosing matter.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, this LP is really good so far.

I'm going to vote for Double Dip since that's increased action economy and that's never a bad thing in a game like this. My gut would normally say one of the FP saver badges but geez, the BP on those is kind of nuts.

...though looking at the Mario wiki, it's less than they costed in the original game. Either way, Double dip is super good.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I'll suggest either Double Dip, one of the passive in-battle healing badges, or an FP saver. They all accomplish a similar thing: Getting you action economy advantage in different circumstances.

Double Dip is going to be the most dramatic when it comes in handy, especially with the buffs to attack items. But the passive healing and FP discounts can also get you extra attacks by getting you above a healing threshold (say, above 11 HP against Buzzard) so you can attack instead.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Gonna vote for Pay Off. It's only one BP, and there are still plenty of things to spend coins on. Given how sadistic this hack is, I think it will generate it's worth in extra coins pretty quickly.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Double Dip

I get the feeling that two items a turn will become a requirement, not an advantage.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
It has to be Double Dip. Turning a "healing turn" into a "healing and attack turn" is far better action economy than extending the time between healing turns by one with the regen badges.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
If I'm not mistaken, you're able to block the wind attack too.

As for the quiz, wasn't that a pro mode question? There's a bunch of questions that are inaccurate because they tend to take info from what existed in the original hack the questions came from.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I wanted to just say the LP's fantastic. You're giving us a real sense of what the game changes without getting bogged down.

I'm not as troubled by the Buzzard fight design simply because the Zap Tap scripting thing is an oversight. If it were a known and intended pattern of fail=death, that'd be another story. It is interesting to think about how Zap Tap qualitatively changes combat in a way other badges don't seem to.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

Re: Donlow's badges, there's a possible serious issue here. According to the board in Mario's house, there are 180 Star Pieces in the hack (there were 160 in vanilla Paper Mario). Adding up the cost of everything at Donlow's, we get... 182. I'm not sure if this is an oversight or a bug, possibly the board is just wrong, but if not it means it's impossible to get every badge and there will be some tough decisions to make here.

The board is probably wrong. Also, we'll get the final few Star Pieces from the Star Temple boss rematches, so choose wisely!

Cheez posted:

If I'm not mistaken, you're able to block the wind attack too.

Button-mashing on the wind attack will get it down to 1 damage (and turn stunned) for Parakarry, and 1 damage to Mario, with Paralysis applied. No further, though.

Note that one time, Donlee entirely blocked the wind attack's damage on Mario and it still paralyzed him, so you can't block it all the way.

heeheex2 posted:

oh poo poo. why openemu and not just pj64?

I'm on a Mac. PJ64 doesn't run on a Mac.

Also, Master Quest (Paper Mario in general, really) runs really badly on PJ64-core emulators compared to Mupen-core emulators (of which OpenEmu is one).

Don't worry, OpenEmu's usually really reliable, and the save state interface is the best thing ever. I currently have several hundred save states floating around for just version 1.2.1.0 of MQ alone.

Explopyro posted:

Basically, if you talk to Luigi in Peach's castle during the prologue, he'll describe the challenge and offer to enable it. It makes it so Mario can't level up, but has effectively unlimited BP (although I think there's still some inherent game limitation on how many badges you can equip, I'm not 100% sure how that works but I know you can't just slap everything on).

Luigi's Challenge got a side mention when we first ran into Chuck Quizmo, so it's kinda easy to miss. In the challenge, Pro Mode let you equip 64 badges for free. Master Quest lets you equip 16 for free.

The way this actually works under the hood is that the game sets your level to the cap, sets your BP to 64 (or 16), then changes every badge so it equips for 1 BP.

Discendo Vox posted:

It is interesting to think about how Zap Tap qualitatively changes combat in a way other badges don't seem to.

Another interesting under-the-hood bit: Zap Tap is implemented by ending the enemy's turn early when they're shocked. This has bedeviled the Master Quest crew to no end.

Discendo Vox posted:

I wanted to just say the LP's fantastic. You're giving us a real sense of what the game changes without getting bogged down.

Explopyro posted:

Quackles, I really like how you're presenting the battles in this LP, especially the bosses. It's very clear what's happening and you're doing a good job conveying both what makes them difficult and how the strategic options you're choosing matter.

Aw! Thank you :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

By the way, Kappy (the streamer, who's played Master Quest before) weighed in with some interesting information:

The feather toss is actually added to Buzzar's grab attack at low health! It's just that if you successfully wriggle out of it (as I did), Buzzar won't do the toss. How's your button mashing?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I would personally argue that Zap Tap modifying enemy patterns is always a thing, it interrupts their attacks and thus makes them do things differently by default. Buzzar just happens to be more dangerous when interrupted, because it makes Buzzar go through attack rotations faster.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Quackles posted:

Button-mashing on the wind attack will get it down to 1 damage (and turn stunned) for Parakarry, and 1 damage to Mario, with Paralysis applied. No further, though.

Note that one time, Donlee entirely blocked the wind attack's damage on Mario and it still paralyzed him, so you can't block it all the way.
Hm. The other attack I know of that uses this system for damage has a window to guard as well, so I would have figured this one did too. Though there is one badge I can think of that would help on this boss quite a bit...

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Cheez posted:

Hm. The other attack I know of that uses this system for damage has a window to guard as well, so I would have figured this one did too. Though there is one badge I can think of that would help on this boss quite a bit...

Feeling Fine isn't in Donlow's list, which makes me think it's just been removed given that someone else mentioned another stun lock boss later on and it's this hack.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Sorites posted:

Feeling Fine isn't in Donlow's list, which makes me think it's just been removed given that someone else mentioned another stun lock boss later on and it's this hack.

Nope, not that one.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sorites posted:

Feeling Fine is on Floor 70 of the Pit of 100 Trials.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I feel like Double Dip will be the most bang for your buck. I'd say Flower Saver but dat BP cost stings.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I've just fought a boss where I legitimately felt (given my timing skills) my best strategy for beating it was to go through 70 floors of the Pit, get that badge and come back. And yes, I actually did that. I gave it a few attempts without the badge and while I was able to do better than I expected, I legitimately don't think I could've done it without.

So that's something to look forward to. But you might well be better at this game than me; I hope for your sake that you are.

Edit: spoiler tags.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 6, 2019

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Adding another vote for Double Dip.

Both because it seems like a good advantage and also just seems neat in general.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Explopyro posted:

I've just fought a boss...

May want to spoil that considering the badge's location was only mentioned inside a spoiler so far.

edit: Oh right, I guess my badge vote would be Pay-Off since it's been extremely useful to me so far. That or save up and come back once you have a bunch of Star Pieces from flipping panels after the Super Boots.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Absolutely Double Dip Get that action economy going on.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Voting for Pay Off and Double Dip for badges, as both look to be quite handy based on where the damage numbers are heading. And wow, stuns are just going to be a thing now I guess, feels on the verge of cheap difficulty to me and hope that the game doesn't devolve into a oops, missed a single block and that's it, you lose, try again situation. Still, really enjoying the LP, you are doing a great job with it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

UED Special Ops posted:

Voting for Pay Off and Double Dip for badges, as both look to be quite handy based on where the damage numbers are heading.

This is my feeling. Those two have priority, followed by HP and FP Regen.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

HP regen doesn't seem particularly useful given how much damage is coming out amd you're ultimately forced to use items eventually due to this. Not like the original game where enemies did far less so early on a single hp regen is pretty useful.

You could make a case for FP regen but they seemed to buff FP items so it'd be better to rely on double dip tbh. Especially with the BP costs compared.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 6, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah 1 hp every 3 turns averages out to like 1/3rd of a defense plus. At the absolute maximum it's going to buy 1 more turn of life, and it's less likely it'll even give that as the game goes on. Mario's still going to have to run back to a heart block or eat after every dang fight. All the other hp regen is either way too bp expensive, only works AFTER fights, or wrecks Mario's damage output far too much.

Technically Pay Off doesn't do anything to help Mario win fights, it solely reduces grinding, but does so a LOT, which might be worth it to Quackles. Double Dip is probably the best pick right now for actually winning, with saving up for Flower saver or Flower fanatic being my next pick. They both give an advantage in the action economy, double dip in the obvious way, and flower saver by letting Mario spend more turns attacking and fewer restoring FP.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I completely missed Happy Heart is 1/3 chance to regen a heart. :psyduck: I don't remember if it was that bad in the original but holy gently caress is that awful. I was going off the assumption it was 1 per turn like the one in TTYD.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

I completely missed Happy Heart is 1/3 chance to regen a heart. :psyduck: I don't remember if it was that bad in the original but holy gently caress is that awful. I was going off the assumption it was 1 per turn like the one in TTYD.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/n64/198849-paper-mario/faqs/43550

This claims ~50% in the base game. It definitely wasn't every turn in TTYD though. Mario wiki claims 33% for TTYD :shrug:

As far as badges, Flower Saver worked pretty well for me. Reducing 2fp moves to 1fp is a pretty good resource save. Less so when many moves have been increased in cost, but still.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Double Dip and Flower Fanatic seem like the top choices to pick up from my viewing.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I'm going all in on Double Dip.

The fight with Buzzar is borderline, but the developer responding to every exploit and obscure-but-neat trick by editing the game to make it impossible? That is really starting to reek of "NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT EXACTLY THE WAY I INTENDED OR YOU'LL RUIN MY VISION." Particularly the part about removing the early shortcut to make Buzzar a mandatory kick in the sack. Any bets on how long it'll be before he decides to edit out the "I'm Luigi" option from the first encounter?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I mean if he wanted to make you fight Buzzar before the dungeon he would have just done that instead of forcing the fight afterwards

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The base game does the same thing with two future Jr Troopa fights. The Chapter 3 fight happens after you get the Super Boots and the Chapter 5 fight happens after you get Sushie rather than after you beat the respective chapters, because otherwise you could skip the fights by backtracking and opening the shortcuts.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

edit: i can't read

FPzero fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 7, 2019

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

FPzero posted:

Come on dude.

That's how it works in normal Paper Mario though, no mention of Master Quest changes. Is that spoilers? I'll remove it if it is, but I thought the spoiler policy was only for Master Quest changes.

Procrastine fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 7, 2019

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were talking about master quest changes since those things seemed exactly like the kind of thing Master Quest would have done. I removed my other post. I don't have a very wide knowledge of the vanilla game so when I ran into that fight in chapter 3 for myself I thought it was an MQ change like the Buzzar fight.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

In case anyone's interested, I've scoped out all the Whacka fights for science now. I'll go back and edit this information into the first post I did on the subject, since that one's linked in the OP. There's a sort of pattern to how it scales, although it's not entirely consistent. Whacka also starts learning new attacks, and his appearance changes in fight six. Here's a table of his stats and how they change, I hope this makes sense:

code:
Fight   HP     Def     Attack 1     Attack 2     Attack 3
1       30     0        3 (x3)
2       35     1        6 (x3)
3       40     1        6 (x3)       4 (x3)
4       45     2        9 (x3)       7 (x3)
5       50     2        9 (x3)       7 (x3)      2 (partner)
6       55     4       12 (x3)      10 (x3)      2 (partner)
7       60     4       12 (x3)      10 (x3)      3 (partner)
8       65     4       12 (x3)      10 (x3)      3 (partner)
Attack 1 is the "dive and resurface 3 times next to Mario" that I showed before (this is also a contact attack that can be interrupted by Zap Tap). Attack 2 is a ranged attack that throws 3 rocks at Mario (with an arc similar to Monty Mole, though the rock sprites are the ones from Gulpits), which he starts using in the third fight. Attack 3 is another ranged attack, Whacka throws a single rock at Mario's partner, which he starts using in the fifth fight.

As for the appearance change? Starting in fight six, Whacka has a golden aura (which I'm pretty sure is the same effect as The Master had in the original game).

Whacka's gone Super Saiyan.

After the eighth fight, Whacka has a death animation on the overworld, dissolves into coins (I didn't count them, but it was maybe 20ish, not a particularly noteworthy amount) and stops reappearing. This means that, just like vanilla, you can get exactly 8 Whacka's Bumps. There's no other reward for this cruelty, thankfully.

Whacka's dialogue when you talk to him is unchanged, with him losing his memory and becoming more and more confused the more you hit him. But I have to say the overall effect is lessened compared to vanilla Paper Mario, because the new "you lunatic!" speech he gives when you hit him doesn't ever change and is completely coherent.

That's enough experimentation with this. I will now be going back to a save file with an unharmed Whacka and never bothering him again.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 8, 2019

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Gotta be honest, while Super Saiyan Whacka is pretty good, when you said his appearance changes I was hoping the hackers had done something more like this:

or possibly even:

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Procrastine posted:

Gotta be honest, while Super Saiyan Whacka is pretty good, when you said his appearance changes I was hoping the hackers had done something more like this:

or possibly even:

5'd

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Procrastine posted:

or possibly even:

:eyepop: