Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm going to Kenya in a few months. I want to book a short safari there. However, it's a bit overwhelming and I'm worried about scams. I've been using Safaribookings since it seems to be the most popular site, but I don't know how reliable it is. I assume it's safe to use a safari if it has good reviews? Basically, I just pick a safari and email them and then we negotiate a quote. Are there any alternative ways to do this or am I doing things right so far? What would you guys recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm going to Kenya in a few months. I want to book a short safari there. However, it's a bit overwhelming and I'm worried about scams. I've been using Safaribookings since it seems to be the most popular site, but I don't know how reliable it is. I assume it's safe to use a safari if it has good reviews? Basically, I just pick a safari and email them and then we negotiate a quote. Are there any alternative ways to do this or am I doing things right so far? What would you guys recommend?

If something is on Safaribookings.com I imagine it is legit, but once you've picked a company, then look up that specific company's name on Google (especially TripAdvisor / Lonely Planet forums) and see if anyone else has used them. You might even find an official TripAdvisor page for that exact company, like https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297913-d16787499-Reviews-Leopard_Tours-Arusha_Arusha_Region.html , and if there are only a handful of reviews, then make sure that the reviews are from real people (i.e. check their user profiles and see if they've reviewed other stuff around the world, or just like one or two reviews ever). It can be tricky because e.g. Leopard Tours is a major operator in the Serengeti, and you see it only has 7 TA reviews... and all within the last year, which is odd, as they've been operating for more than 20 years, but I guess they only recently made their own company's TA page. It can also be a bit tricky as every company's name is like, exactly the same, so make sure the email address you're contacting is the actual email address.

Also if you want to book a short safari, what like a day trip, I guess you could just walk around Nairobi's CBD and book it on the spot. My wife was out in Nairobi a few months ago for work and her and her colleagues did that to go around Nairobi NP.

And enjoy! A safari was the first trip I ever organized myself and went on with friends, like without anyone's parents or involvement from anyone's parents, and it was super nerve-wracking to pick a company and send the deposit, but everything turned out super well despite it feeling very sketchy (although this was back in 2009, before East Africa had any internet to speak of; realistic internet didn't come to East Africa until https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EASSy was enabled. Before that it was like... dialup modem speed, but long distance calling from Mars.)

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 19, 2019

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I'm going on a Safari in with gAdventures in October that has been an awesome experience so far with them and I hope the trip is the same. The part that is tripping me up is the e-visas vs visas vs get it when you get there. Have you looked at any of that yet?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Thanks for the response. Just booked my safari. You are right that it does feel sketchy as it involved being contacted via email and sending a $100 deposit via Pesapal (Africa's PayPal apparently).

Got a 3 day trip to Masai Mara for $300 through a tour that was highly rated both through Safaribookings and Trip Advisor.

I do have a few questions about traveling around Kenya if you all don't mind?

Virigoth posted:

I'm going on a Safari in with gAdventures in October that has been an awesome experience so far with them and I hope the trip is the same. The part that is tripping me up is the e-visas vs visas vs get it when you get there. Have you looked at any of that yet?

Not really. When I went to other countries, I just land at the airport, show them my passport, and get the visa there.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Kenya's e-visa system is a shitshow (or at least was back in October 2018; honestly doubt it's better now). You can get a visa on arrival still assuming you're one of the like, 170 nationalities that Kenya gives VoA for. I don't think there's any real reason to do the e-visa, since it only takes about 30 seconds to get the visa on arrival when you're there.

You can probably get better advice, or at least more up-to-date advice, for travelling around Kenya on TA, but shoot away?

Also $300 sounds way too cheap, I can pretty much guarantee that your $300 doesn't includes the park's entrance fees, which are $80pp/day. The national parks in that part of the world are really expensive. Are they putting you with other people? If not then $300, even plus the park fees (i.e. $540), sounds like a really good price, and cheaper than I would expect.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I trust goons more than people on Travel Advisor.

The $300 covers the hotel pickup in Nairobi and the drive to Masai Mara, the the safari tours, the two overnight stays, and the drive back to the hotel. I assumed it was cheap because they are going to put me with a random group of people. So it isn't a tour of just me.

My first question is what is the best way to get around in Kenya? As in, do they have an Uber equivalent there like Grabpass in South East Asia? Are tuk-tuks common there?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I trust goons more than people on Travel Advisor.

The $300 covers the hotel pickup in Nairobi and the drive to Masai Mara, the the safari tours, the two overnight stays, and the drive back to the hotel. I assumed it was cheap because they are going to put me with a random group of people. So it isn't a tour of just me.

Yeah, just making sure you know to expect to pay an extra $200-$300. Also keep in mind you have to tip the driver and, if you have one, cook. This varies a bit depending on how many people are in your car and this is often the entire salary these people receive or the vast majority.

quote:

My first question is what is the best way to get around in Kenya? As in, do they have an Uber equivalent there like Grabpass in South East Asia? Are tuk-tuks common there?

Uber works in Nairobi. Nairobi does have tons of different forms of transport including little tuk-tuk like things, but tbh I don't know how they work.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Saladman posted:

Yeah, just making sure you know to expect to pay an extra $200-$300.

From the email and site it says that the $300 includes and doesn't:

This includes
-Park entry fee
-Transport to and from Masai Mara with Nissan safari van
-Driver guide
-Accommodation on sharing basis.
-All meals while on safari

Not included
-Personal spending money
-Drinks eg water,soda,beers
-Tips
-Airport pick & drop off
-Masai village
- Accommodation in Nairobi city

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Huh! Sounds like a super good deal if it includes the park entry fee. Anyway, enjoy!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Bumped because I wasn't sure where to ask. Should I get vaccines before I go? I looked up the CDC website and they recommend vaccines for yellow fever and measules. However, it's going to be around $300 to get all of them. Is it that risky going to Kenya and Uganda without them? Will even be allowed on those countries if I don't? I live in America if that matters.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Bumped because I wasn't sure where to ask. Should I get vaccines before I go? I looked up the CDC website and they recommend vaccines for yellow fever and measules. However, it's going to be around $300 to get all of them. Is it that risky going to Kenya and Uganda without them? Will even be allowed on those countries if I don't? I live in America if that matters.

Yellow fever is now a lifetime-valid vaccine according to the WHO, although some organizations might ask for 10 year forms still. The only time I have ever been asked to show the form was in Cameroon, and the doctor at the border there even just waived me through after two seconds of me not understanding whatever he was asking (I speak French and have a yellow fever card and to this day don’t understand what issue he had).

Measles vaccine you probably already have from childhood unless your parents are religious extremists. If your parents are extremists you should get a vaccine anyway since measles is endemic in Europe and North America as well.

I was not asked in two visits to Nairobi airport for a yellow fever vaccine, most recently in 2017), but ymmv.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What would happen if they ask for it and I don't have it?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Depends on whether you think potentially dying at worst and ruining your vacation at best is worth $300.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Yellow fever kills 20-30% of people who get it. It may be pretty rare but you definitely don't want it. Realistically if you went crazy on the Deet, Permethrin on clothing, and being very vigilant the entire trip you could probably reduce your risk to something vanishingly small but it's nice to know when you do inevitably get careless and get lit up by mosquitoes that it's not going to be a fatal mistake.

I'm pretty sure they'll all let you in if you're traveling straight from a non-Yellow Fever endemic country, but if you are going from one YF endemic nation to another the second will probably not let you in without the card. I can't recall really being asked for the card in Uganda, though I usually just handed it over with my passport so I don't know if they would have asked for it if I hadn't done that.

edit: From a quick scan of several websites they're saying Uganda is currently requiring the card to get in. Just get the shot. You are presumably spending a silly amount of money to get to Africa and pay for tours and permits to see cool animals. This isn't that much more. Get the shot that guarantees you can get in and won't die a painful death from your organs turning to liquid.

Also if you happen to get a random flu and show up at immigration looking sickly they could turn you away if you can't produce a yellow card and show them it can't be yellow fever. They were taking temperatures when I got to the airport at Entebbe though that was outgoing.

Kase Im Licht fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 24, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I just went on a Safari in Kenya for 7 days but the actual period was leaving Sept 29 and returning Oct 8. Detroit to Paris to Nairobi and back. I booked through Exoticca which was $3200 included airfare from Detroit. The tour provider, and this was key, was Sawa Sawa and they were excellent. I stayed at luxury and good hotels like the Stanley, Ol Tukai Lodge, the Ark, Sarova Lion Hill Lodge, and Maasai Mara which was like a camp tent but with a hard roof and full bathroom. It was a fantastic experience, I saw Lions, Elephants, Rhinos, Buffalo, Leopard, Ostrich, Hippos, Hyenas, Feral Pigs, Warthogs, Jackals, Crocodiles, Birds, Wildabeast, Zebras, etc. in a Land Cruiser that had an open top when we wanted to take pictures and a lake cruise floating by Hippos. Also saw massive Mount Kilimanjaro from a distance. Our Tour Guide was Nick and he was very accommodating, knowledgeable, helped some of the people on my tour when they got into trouble. We had all our meals included at each hotel which was sort of a buffet style and one night at Carnivore which was a sort of Brazilian BBQ where they serve meat on skewers and shave it for you until you flip a flag and surrender. We also met the Maasai people, invited into their Village, and learned about their culture.

Before I went I got many vaccinations including Yellow Fever and Tetanus and Typhoid, including Hep A and B. I kept my Yellow Card with me but no one in Kenya or the US as I was going through immigration looked at it. I was informed that typically it will be important if you go from Kenya to Tanzania as the neighboring country wants to know if you are vaccinated more than necessarily the US. I was with someone who was older than 60 and didn't get vaccinated, had a letter because she was older she shouldn't get live virus vaccines, but she was never asked about it. I'm still glad I got my shots cause I can use it for other countries like in South America or Asia or if I go back to Africa. Take deet, bug sprays, anti malaria (though we were told that is mostly in Western Africa but you never know), clothing spray, and whatever meds you think for headaches, upset stomachs, etc. I still say if you're healthy and it's okay, get your shots and don't take a chance. Travel light as you can, 1 bag and 1 carry is my recommendation, depending on how much moving around you are doing because space is limited on transport.

I do hope you get a tour operator that has a land cruiser as the terrain is rough. The main highways in and out of Nairobi is good cause it was recently constructed by China but once you get off to go to the parks it is very hard bumpy and it's like you're vibrating and it goes for 30+minutes not to mention the actual parks having uneven terrain. Was told Nairobi is not safe so I stuck to the Hotels and my group/tour guide. My recommendation is to not eat fruit or veggies as if they clean it with tap water it can cause risk for getting sick. I was fine the entire trip but someone got sick on the last day and thought it was either because of a smoothie she drank or fruit she ate. We stuck to bottled water. When you go out to the tourist spots there will be shop keepers who will try to drag you to their shops or put lizards on you and stuff, or as you enter the parks the Maasai people will swarm you to sell you souvenirs and be pushy about it. I, personally, did not mind and gave cause this is their livelihood. The Maasai don't have a lot of job opportunity and the Chief said if you donated it would go to the Schooling (if true versus pocketing himself). If your tour guide stops at shops along the way to the park, up to you, but buying the same stuff from the Maasai was cheaper and they expect you to negotiate with them to bring the prices down.

For the Safari I recommend a good camera as sometimes the animals can be far. Other times they are around your car and you can practically touch them (though don't obviously). I went to lensrentals.com and had a good experience as for $1300 I got a Sony A99ii with a 70-400mm G lens and a 24-72 wide angle, amazing binoculars, 3 batteries, a shotgun mic, 2 memory cards (I bought my own 128gb cause I wanted 4K video recording), and a bag to carry it all for 16 days and I have some amazing photos and videos. There's a couple threads in The Dorkroom that can help.

I experienced very few bugs, maybe 2-3 mosquitoes in or around hotels. Only time there was bugs was like the second day of my safari after it was raining outdoors in the parks. Also their local version of the donut is really good. Keep your documentation with you, if you're staying at good hotels then they'll have a safe, but I kept mine on my body like my passport. Hotels and areas can ask you for it as it is ID. Take a decent chunk of cash with you, I took 500 usd worth of Shillings and like 100 extra USD. Most places I went, mostly hotels, were okay with USD as were some of the Maasai people. Take full sleeve shirts and clothing. Take sunglasses if you think, a safari hat. Wear stuff that won't stand out too hard from the terrain if it can be helped, I wore mostly greens and browns. Service was very good while I was there, and I tipped everywhere.

One suggestion I was given was to go in August to Tanzania because the migration to Serengeti happens then.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 18, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

What would happen if they ask for it and I don't have it?

You may be denied entry. You may be allowed in if you can convince immigration that you’re not a risk. You may be offered the required vaccine on the spot (NEVER DO THIS, the hygiene standards at an airport could be charitably described as “questionable.”)

Get the vaccines before you leave. Also note that there may be a whole lot more recommended than required immunizations; it’s your neck but I always get every vaccine I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Midjack posted:

You may be denied entry. You may be allowed in if you can convince immigration that you’re not a risk. You may be offered the required vaccine on the spot (NEVER DO THIS, the hygiene standards at an airport could be charitably described as “questionable.”)

Get the vaccines before you leave. Also note that there may be a whole lot more recommended than required immunizations; it’s your neck but I always get every vaccine I can.

Yeah, I got the vaccine a few weeks ago. Cost $280 since it was in limited supply. But once I get the vaccine I have it for life.