Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

You're probably not even done with your SGDQ backlog, but it's already time to buckle up for another marathon. This one all the way over in Europe. Sweden, specifically. Malmö, even specificallyer. Running from July 20th to 27th, the European Speedrunner Assembly is sure to have fun content for you!

Still going with only one thread for this marathon, but don't let that discourage you from posting.

~~~~~~~~~~

A lot of things you'll recognize from how GDQ works, but one of the big differences is that ESA, as has now become routine for them, features not one, but two streams, with a second stream that doesn't run 24/7. You can find the schedules for both of them on the schedule page, of course. It will adjust to your local timezone.

The ESA main site is the place to go to watch in your browser. You can also go to the Twitch pages: Stream 1 and Stream 2. But you can also watch through your favourite media player by using Streamlink, which is a more updated fork of Livestreamer so if you've been using that it's time to switch, and of course there's a Streamlink Twitch GUI for you as well. It's a much better way of partaking of the marathon than watching in your already memory-hogging browser. Trust me.

Recordings of all the runs will eventually be available on the ESA Youtube channel, too. So if you miss something you want to watch, you'll be able to catch it later!

And even though we won't have a chat thread, of course you want to chat with people about the marathon while you watch. Because that always makes marathons better. Twitch chat is Twitch chat, so you're better off hitting up one of the IRC or Discord channels instead.

ESA IRC: #esamarathon at irc.quakenet.org
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
ESA Discord

Goon IRC: #speedruns at irc.synirc.net
Direct link | synirc Webchat
Goon speedrunning Discord | Speedfriends Shitposting

~~~~~~~~~~

GDQ, of course, primarily collects money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation and Doctors Without Borders. What about ESA? And how did that start?

Well, the first ESA marathon took place in the summer of 2012 in Skövde, Sweden, then named the European Speedster Assembly. After that, one marathon was organized annually every summer in Sweden, along with some smaller side showings, such as at Sweden's largest LAN party Dreamhack. In 2016, ESA moved from Skövde to Växjö, and in February of 2018 the first ESA Winter took place, also in Växjö. In 2018, ESA Summer changed homes again, and has since happened in Malmö. Just like GDQ, ESA raises money for charity, although it is less of a focus of the stream than for GDQ. ESA Summer 2019 will be raising money for the Swedish Alzheimer's Foundation. Previously, ESA events have raised money for Charity:Water, Doctors Without Borders, and Save the Children.

All the money raised during ESA Summer 2019 goes directly to the charity. Absolutely no part of it goes to the organizers, volunteers or runners - everyone pays for their own expenses.

ESA might still be a small event compared to GDQ, but it too has been growing and always works to imprve the quality of the event and the stream. But there's still always possible hiccups that can happen - please have patience with things like that!

~~~~~~~~~~

To donate, you go to the donation page (Stream 2 donation page), input your donation amount, and if you would like your donation to go towards any of the donation incentives. There's incentives to name characters, show off glitches, play extra stages, fight bonus bosses and stuff like that. You can find all the incentives on the ESA donation tracker.

ESA doesn't really have prizes like GDQ does, but I hope that's not going to keep you from donating.

~~~~~~~~~~

And that's about it. We are, of course, all here for the runs and talking about them, not for the drama. Be respectful towards everyone involved, please!

Should you still have any questions, feel free to ask! I personally will probably not be very active in the thread, at least not for the second half - I'm not attending ESA this year for money reasons, and will be off at a con from Wednesday to Sunday (which I'm working at so it's basically free for me so y'know).

Also don't forget that we have a regular speedrunning thread as well!

AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat) | GDQx 2018 (Chat) | AGDQ 2019 | ESAW 2019 | SGDQ 2019

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Reserved post.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Pee SA

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
they have three Jubeat cabs at this place so I'm just gonna use this thread to post my scores over the week ok.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I am excited to watch European Games Played At A Sensible Pace

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

they have three Jubeat cabs at this place so I'm just gonna use this thread to post my scores over the week ok.

You need to get at least one EXC or you're not allowed to leave the venue :colbert:

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Hello speedfriends! Once again I am excited for another speedrunning event to watch and share with you all :)

If I may say something personal, in the previous GDQ thread I mentioned I wanted to get back into speedrunning the game I do, which I did between then and now! I managed to improve my knowledge and skill at the category I do and got a new PB which was 4 minutes faster than my previous PB (1h13m) which still keeps me in second place but much closer to first than I've ever been so it's possible one day I will take that. I need to practise the mian category more but I prefer the one I do just because it's more fun.

I'm super happy about that and I'm hoping one day I'll be good enough at it to apply for ESA or GDQ and be able to perform it live for everyone (even though it's unlikely I'll be selected as I'm completely unknown and my run is pretty boring).

Anyway, apologies for rambling on, let's have a great event this week!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:woop:

Shame they didn't pick a more interesting game to start it off with.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Freedom Planet is coming up, time for some real speed gaming.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

One of the things I love about ESA is the variety of great accents from all over Europe and the fact that there's always the little flag showing where the announcers and hosts are from.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I have asked to get this thread stickied too so hopefully that happens.

Man, watching ESA from home makes me sad I couldn't be there, but my economical situation just didn't even remotely allow for it this year. Next year I'll hopefully have a goddamn job, and have gotten back into speedrunning more.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
LARGE JONATHAN on the mainscreen

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

KennyMan666 posted:

have gotten back into speedrunning more.

Look I love watching Goons make mistakes but are you sure about this one buddy????

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I actually haven't watched this before, but I already kinda love it. It's like GDQ without any of the flash and polish. It feels much more honest.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Studio posted:

Look I love watching Goons make mistakes but are you sure about this one buddy????
I still have one more pet game to get into a marathon!

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
hell yeah, it's time for GAME SAVED

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Good thing he skipped the bug room so he has a spare battery.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
Battery saved.

I swear there was some Deus Ex by Heinki on the schedule.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

There was, it got moved to stream 2 at some time because they were behind schedule.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Announcers who say they have never heard of Ultima make me feel incredibly old and I'm 36.

The Minecraft run was pretty fun, although had some empty air.

e: speaking of Ultima IX, this game is BROKEN

Avatar goes around jumping like loving Mario

e2: This is a recommendation 5 minutes in

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 21, 2019

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The ultima 9 lp on somethingawful was a joy to watch because of how janky and broken the game was, so any speedrun is gonna be fun to watch.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ultima IX was pretty drat good, it's a must-watch for everyone.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I can not understand how anybody takes Awful Games at GDQ seriously, as long as ESA has havrd.
What I mean: watch the Asghan run.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

This guy running RE4 is making me want to die. They need one of those long vaudeville canes to pull him off stream or something.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

raditts posted:

This guy running RE4 is making me want to die. They need one of those long vaudeville canes to pull him off stream or something.

he just, doesnt stop

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
if it helps you to know he's also an insufferable gently caress even off camera

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
this was a loving abysmal run.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Shoutouts to one of the worst runs I've ever seen :toot:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The goon speedrunning discord said, 20 mins ago "Well GDQ just stopped hosting ESA because of the gay jokes"

Welp. Apparently something bad happened during my sleep time.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

I can not understand how anybody takes Awful Games at GDQ seriously, as long as ESA has havrd.
What I mean: watch the Asghan run.

Agreed. That run was quality jank

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Carbon dioxide posted:

The goon speedrunning discord said, 20 mins ago "Well GDQ just stopped hosting ESA because of the gay jokes"

It was probably the RE4 run, I had to turn it off because it was so loving awful.
They just did an interlude with someone apologizing for "an earlier run not meeting their standards" and unless there was another run between then and now that managed to be even worse, that's probably the one they were talking about.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ESA main organizer (?) Planks was just on stream and apologized for the earlier shitrun, basically saying that talks have been had and they are taking a serious stance against such behaviour, it was not acceptable on their standards and those people involved have been talked to / won't appear on stream on this event again.

I didn't see it myself but judging from the comments it was pretty dire. Planks did seem sincere though and he was basically saying that speedrunning community is for everyone.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

english_bens name has been removed from the schedules, so it must be.

https://twitter.com/NotEnglishBen/status/1153277192337526785

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 22, 2019

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Yo wtf happened?? Was he just chain-dropping gamer words?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Yo wtf happened?? Was he just chain-dropping gamer words?

from what I watched before I turned it off, he was just playing terribly and making non-stop commentary that was as loud as it was terrible and name-dropping 4chan about every 30 seconds, and apparently at some point homophobic jokes were involved

starts at about 40:06:00 on the vod here if you want to watch it yourself
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/455394943

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Someone is speedrunning Garfield: Caught in the Act today? And here I thought I was the only person that ever played that game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/esamarathon/status/1153315916052094977

real talk though, i play re4 better than this chud did

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

Carbon dioxide posted:

i literally got timed out for saying the gay jokes weren't good

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

What was that one speedgame event that had someone's phone ringing in the background for literally an hour straight during a run while everyone else around them casually made gay jokes and dropped N-bombs like it wasn't a big deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

sounds like something that'd happen at nasa, which i don't think exists anymore