Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The Basketball Tournament is a fun little bit of summer that I've enjoyed quite a lot the past few years. It's a single-elimination, 64-team bracket where the winners take home $2m and everyone else leaves with nothing. Most of these teams are filled with fringe NBAers, guys who do well over in Europe or Asia, and people you either loved or hated to watch in college. This tournament also uses the "Elam Ending", where at the last media timeout a par score is shown of the leading team's score at the stoppage plus 8 points. First team to that wins: the math professor and basketball tragic who came up with it says it speeds up end-game situations and gets rid of endless fouling.

Bracket: http://thetournament.com/bracket

Team and bracket notes:
--Overseas Elite has won the past few tournaments, and is led by Paris Horne, Justin Brownlee and DJ Kennedy, who were the spine of some mediocre pre-Steve Lavin St John's teams. This year they've also got a lot of US-born players from Euroleague heavy hitters Maccabi Tel Aviv, like Jeremy Pargo and Deandre Kane. Appropriately enough, as the team to beat they are seeded against the UMBC alumni team, led by KJ Maura himself. They're in the Richmond bracket, being played at VCU's arena and with a Rams alumni team filled with some of Shaka Smart's better players.
--The Wichita part of the bracket is loaded with alumni teams from the Midwest, including KU (featuring Perry Ellis, Tyshaun Taylor, Mario Little and Kevin Young), Colorado (with Richard Roby, Marcus Relphorde and Nate Tomlinson), K-State (Thomas Gipson, Martavious Irving, Curtis Kelly), an all-Iowa team with Reid Timmer, Peter Jok, Mel Basabe, Marcus Fizer and MEGAN loving GUSTAFSON, and of course the Shocker alumni with Tekele Cotton, Connor Frankamp and Cleanthony Early. As you'd expect, this bracket has totally sold out.
--Other good alumni teams: Ohio State (Aaron Craft, David Lighty, Evan Ravanel, Jon Diebler), West Va (Da'Sean Butler, Juwan Staten, Darryl Bryant), Syracuse (Devendorf, Onawaku, Brandon Triche, Hakim Warrick, and special guest Jordan Crawford), plus a lot of more interesting small-school and Division II/III guys.

Games are on ESPN and ESPN3. Have a watch, because any basketball is good and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The big 3 really stole TBT's thunder, it's a shame because TBT is real 5 on 5 basketball. They had some fun games last year

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Dejan Bimble posted:

The big 3 really stole TBT's thunder, it's a shame because TBT is real 5 on 5 basketball. They had some fun games last year

i think the fact that there's a lot of current NBA guys getting involved in TBT (Chris Paul, Boogie Cousins, Andre Drummond and Bobby Portis all coached teams this year, plus LeBron financially backed a team of MAC alumni) will give it a boost. like you said it's real basketball with young and hungry players, not a masters format like Big3.

back to live action, goddrat do I still hate Aaron Craft.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wait, bobby portis coached a team?????

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bluegrass boys bitch

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

wait, bobby portis coached a team?????

yeah, Team Arkansas. They lost to Louisiana United.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
oh poo poo go clean tony

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Cavauro posted:

bluegrass boys bitch

They Lost badly

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

there is now a legit chance we get to see a re-match of this, arguably the most satisfying win in my many years watching college basketball: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOq0lq-38UI

(this was also the win that gave us this front page:)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Oh man Best Virginia has former top 10 pick, current person with without knee joints Joe Alexander, too

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DeimosRising posted:

Oh man Best Virginia has former top 10 pick, current person with without knee joints Joe Alexander, too

sadly he (along with KJ Maura, Megan Gustafson, and a few other players I was looking forward to watch) is inactive for this weekend. MG got picked back up by a WNBA team and I'd assume some of the others got Summer League or Euro gigs that ruled them out.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Well heck

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

you still get Da'Sean Butler on BestVA and elsewhere there's Richard Roby, who in my Mizzou days was referred to by the Antlers as "the ugliest man we've ever seen". Even my friend who hated the Antlers agreed with their assessment of him.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Troy Queef posted:

you still get Da'Sean Butler on BestVA and elsewhere there's Richard Roby, who in my Mizzou days was referred to by the Antlers as "the ugliest man we've ever seen". Even my friend who hated the Antlers agreed with their assessment of him.

Oh yeah I’ll still watch some of this, especially the WV games, I’d just like to see what Butler and Alexander looks like together, half the point of this is to see weird Frankensteined all time teams for various colleges

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

sadly, Perry Ellis did his knee and the KU alumni lost.

now it's time for an absolute mad crowd in the Roundhouse as WSU goes against Literally Every Iowa Player You Remember, Up To And Including Matt Gatens

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

sadly, Perry Ellis did his knee and the KU alumni lost.

now it's time for an absolute mad crowd in the Roundhouse as WSU goes against Literally Every Iowa Player You Remember, Up To And Including Matt Gatens

what the hell were they expecting from perry at his age

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

R.D. Mangles posted:

what the hell were they expecting from perry at his age

What everyone expects from Perry Ellis: timeless, premium men's apparel and accessories.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Truck Bryant is being awesome for WVU old boys, but ESPN has shunted these games to ESPN3 in favor of More NBA Hot Takes And Jerry Jones, and of course the only game they have on actual ESPN today involves the Syracuse alumni.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Troy Queef posted:

Truck Bryant is being awesome for WVU old boys, but ESPN has shunted these games to ESPN3 in favor of More NBA Hot Takes And Jerry Jones, and of course the only game they have on actual ESPN today involves the Syracuse alumni.

Is espn 3 the one that streams on their app? I guess I could watch it on my phone at work

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DeimosRising posted:

Is espn 3 the one that streams on their app? I guess I could watch it on my phone at work

yeah and you don't need Plus for it, thank god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

the tournament organizers done hosed up putting this final in Chicago the same weekend as Lolla, I was thinking of going up for the QFs and NOPE