Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mangetsu, an ordinary schoolgirl (who happens to have naturally pink hair...) finds herself drawn suddenly into a mysterious alternative universe full of magical girls piloting mecha.

She befriends one of the girls, Shingetsu, who explains that she has joined the Granbelm - a series of magical contests every full moon, where the descendants of the ancient mage families battle (not to the death!) to become the Princeps, the only mage allowed to truly wield magic.

But first she has some lunchboxes to make.

Granbelm is an original anime directed by Masaharu Watanabe (Re:ZERO) and written by Jukki Hanada (Hitori Bocchi, Place Further than the Universe, and shitload of other stuff...). It's good, watch it on Crunchyroll.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/granbelm

don't make me have to use my powers to convince you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Show good, Mangetsu cute, needs a hug.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Newmoon-chan and Fullmoon-chan are cute together.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Loved how the decoy magic robots had Zaku eyes easily marking them as canon fodder

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oops forgot to set the tag. Can a mod change it to ROBOTS please thanks!

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

The cast and setting are interesting, but the fight scenes are incomprehensible. Most of the time, I have no idea what the mechs are supposed to be doing until after it's happened.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, there's lots of technically impressive animation on display in the fights, but the way it's shot and edited doesn't feel *quite* there. That said, I'm enjoying the rest of the show far more than enough to make up for the fights being moderately jank. I really like what we're setting up with Mangetsu's sister, she's an interesting foil to Mangetsu herself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The fights are all over the place but at least theyre visually interesting, is my take.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also i really loved the lack of a big infodump on what happened with Shingetsu and the ojou types family. You can infer all you need to. Hope they dont go back and explain it later.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

This has the same character designer as re:zero and it shows with the faces and tiny tiny feet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beasteh posted:

This has the same character designer as re:zero and it shows with the faces and tiny tiny feet

and also the onee-chan girl is literally just emilia

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mecha stuff was better in ep 3, less stuff just looking like formless blobs which was my only complaint up to now

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rich girl is out for blood and will not be stopped, and I respect that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope the root of her bloodlust is something incredibly petty

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I like the show so far but I feel like it's trying to introduce too much at once and it's crowding its own narrative out. I think they could probably stand to take a breath with regard to jamming in new character introductions until the existing ones have had a moment to breathe. This episode was ostensibly about exploring what Anna's beef with Shingestu is but literally half the runtime was devoted to Silver Haired Piano Girl talking to herself/her sister and Little Girl Who Isn't Actually A Little Girl doing...not much of anything yet, which meant that I was both unsatisfied with how much of the Anna/Shingestu thing we got and how much of an intro we got to the new characters.

Also Mangestu is disturbingly chill about everything despite how she has literally no idea what's happening.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

I hope the root of her bloodlust is something incredibly petty

We already know what it is - Shingetsu got merged into her family as another magical heir, everyone liked her immediately, and Anna felt she was being replaced and forced out. Shingetsu realised what was going on and tried to back off for Anna and her family's sake, but Anna read this as her fleeing after her bid to usurp her failed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

I like the show so far but I feel like it's trying to introduce too much at once and it's crowding its own narrative out. I think they could probably stand to take a breath with regard to jamming in new character introductions until the existing ones have had a moment to breathe. This episode was ostensibly about exploring what Anna's beef with Shingestu is but literally half the runtime was devoted to Silver Haired Piano Girl talking to herself/her sister and Little Girl Who Isn't Actually A Little Girl doing...not much of anything yet, which meant that I was both unsatisfied with how much of the Anna/Shingestu thing we got and how much of an intro we got to the new characters.

Also Mangestu is disturbingly chill about everything despite how she has literally no idea what's happening.
I had the opposite take. By letting the moments be pretty slight and mostly focusing on how characters feel it feels like the show doesn't think the viewer is a complete idiot.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah if anything they've paced things out really well, it's pretty easy to read what everyone's motivation is and what kind of dynamics they have going on. the background behind what happened with shingetsu and anna is less important than the rift it's created in their relationship right now is

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

I had the opposite take. By letting the moments be pretty slight and mostly focusing on how characters feel it feels like the show doesn't think the viewer is a complete idiot.

The Colonel posted:

yeah if anything they've paced things out really well, it's pretty easy to read what everyone's motivation is and what kind of dynamics they have going on. the background behind what happened with shingetsu and anna is less important than the rift it's created in their relationship right now is

I guess I don't need them to explain more so much as I want to see more of each relationship on screen. Like I don't need Anna to turn to the screen and explain exactly why she hates Shingetsu so much as I wanted the episode to be entirely about their current relationship, if that makes sense? I felt like every time I was getting invested into what they were showing me they slam jump cut to another character and it left me oddly frustrated. I actually started disliking piano girl just because it felt like she was interrupting the good part for me, when normally I think I'd be interested in her deal.

Watching Anna and Shingetsu interact is compelling and I want more!

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 21, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just keeps getting more complicated...

Some thoughts:
Are Nene's sisters actually real? Or are they ghosts or something and have to disappear at a certain time of the day? The fact that her family's magic seems to have real definite downsides is interesting. I'm not sure if we are to read the magic bringing monsters theory as literal or not.

It feels like the blue haired girl working with Anna is being set up to be the antagonist. She's really sketchy...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

It feels like the blue haired girl working with Anna is being set up to be the antagonist. She's really sketchy...

That scene with her going all "Smiles!" when Anna's about to slap her and Anna cools down slightly felt like it was designed to make it hard to tell whether Suisho just has a relatively close relationship or power dynamic with her or if there's something more magical and nefarious going on. Like the "smiles!" thing and the way Anna completely froze for a second made me wonder if it was some sort of trigger word ala Bioshock or something.

Preview for next ep was pretty interesting, excited to see how we get there. Also, I hope Yoko Hisaka doesn't throw out her vocal chords recording for this season. Voicing a character WHO IS CONSTANTLY SCREAMING ALL THE TIME seems like it would be a tough gig even if she weren't simultaneously doing Symphogear.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gave it a 3 episode test, but nothing about the story, characters or action did anything for me. it's not offensively bad or anything, but it's also not particularly interesting. dropped.

i did like the jazz hands robot, though.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

written by Jukki Hanada

sold

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, the Getsus have, like, zero personal space with each other, don't they?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

This week's fights were genuinely pretty awesome.

also oh dear

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Some thoughts:

I'm wondering if Shingetsu's attempt to wipe Mangetsu's mind didn't work because it's already been done to her? Possibly by her real mother.

I think Nene's inability to keep her cloak up in the battle mirrors her inability to keep herself a secret in the real world.

Suishou continues to be sketchy as gently caress. I'm wondering now if she's manipulated Anna to go against Shingetsu.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shingetsu is 1000000000 percent gonna have to beat the poo poo out of Mangetsu at some point.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

no i think shes going to kiss her

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

no i think shes going to kiss her

porque no los dos

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Following magical girl law all couples must first fight before they can truly date (see Fate/Nanoha, Miku/Hibiki, Cure Black/White)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Following magical girl law all couples must first fight before they can truly date (see Fate/Nanoha, Miku/Hibiki, Cure Black/White)

See this is also why Madoka/Homura is so Complicated, they tried to skip this step

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Episode 5 in which Mangetsu uses the Ideon Sword.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I liked in the preview that after four episodes of being constantly owned in magic world, Anna's apparently just going to try straight-up murking Shingetsu with a big axe next time around.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show's previews have been Very Good in general IMO

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Fangz posted:

Mangetsu, an ordinary schoolgirl (who happens to have naturally pink hair...) finds herself drawn suddenly into a mysterious alternative universe full of magical girls piloting mecha.

oh boy more alternate reality bullshit how interesting :rolleyes:

quote:

Granbelm is an original anime directed by Masaharu Watanabe (Re:ZERO)

:suspense:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the alternate reality is literally just a combat arena they enter sometimes

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the alternate reality is literally just a combat arena they enter sometimes

uh

Fangz posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you could, watch the show

it's not an isekai, it's a magical mecha battle royale thing

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

(it's an injoke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
the very first episode Shingetsu straight up tells Mangetsu "No, this is not an Isekai thing." Very literally, i might add.

Also i think i wanna draw some fanart of these super cute robos. a shame they're never in a really clear shot that I can grasp their designs well. (aside from Episode 1 anyway)