Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That ending was nonsensical and garbage and this is one of the more spectacular last-minute collapses I've seen from an anime in a *while*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is my favorite anime of the year

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i do think it relied a bit too much on week-to-week tension in the back half though, cliffhangers are obviously an important part of serialized fiction but it felt a bit manipulative in places, esp. the bits with characters going 'i have to tell you something important..." *sound cuts out*

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Endorph posted:

this is my favorite anime of the year
:yeah:

The first episode was a little generic, some of the early fights were tough to follow, and I'm still a bit concerned about the show's messaging re: Mangetsu, but aside from that it's just all-around excellent.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

With Anna's arc in particular, it delivered a really heartfelt message about valuing yourself for what you like to do and what you're good at, not just what society values and believes makes you "special," and I think that's an important message in a medium rife with stories about chosen heroes with special powers saving the world.

I grew up being told by everyone that I was a math whiz and that I should go into math. I internalized it; I grew up thinking that I ought to go into math not because I was interested in it (I was and I wasn't) but because it'd make me look smart and I could ~change the world~ with some crazy new math theory. I ended up switching degrees from Math to English because hey, turns out going at things from that angle isn't a good way to keep your motivation (or grades) up. I wish I had been able to see GRANBELM as a teenager.

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 27, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i do think jesus anna and kuon got screwed hard.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

With Anna's arc in particular, it delivered a really heartfelt message about valuing yourself for what you like to do and what you're good at, not just what society values and believes makes you "special," and I think that's an important message in a medium rife with stories about chosen heroes with special powers saving the world.

I grew up being told by everyone that I was a math whiz and that I should go into math. I internalized it; I grew up thinking that I ought to go into math not because I was interested in it (I was and I wasn't) but because it'd make me look smart and I could ~change the world~ with some crazy new math theory. I ended up switching degrees from Math to English because hey, turns out going at things from that angle isn't a good way to keep your motivation (or grades) up. I wish I had been able to see GRANBELM as a teenager.

I felt that that message was incomplete, at least in the way you mention it. What was Anna's thing that she was good at that she could have done instead? Were there any hints anywhere that she could have taken a different path other than fight? Do something else? What is that? How does it compare to winning the battle royale?

In any case it seems that she was wholly invested in her goal and had no dearth of motivation caused by it not being her true calling. She just lost because she was not as naturally talented, so the message devolves into more like "You shouldn't insist competing against those who are more gifted than you." Her arc becomes a tragedy because she was built to lose, doubly so because she was essentially tricked into thinking she had the talent to go for it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Newtype flashes abound in this episode

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

UnfurledSails posted:

I felt that that message was incomplete, at least in the way you mention it. What was Anna's thing that she was good at that she could have done instead? Were there any hints anywhere that she could have taken a different path other than fight? Do something else? What is that? How does it compare to winning the battle royale?

In any case it seems that she was wholly invested in her goal and had no dearth of motivation caused by it not being her true calling. She just lost because she was not as naturally talented, so the message devolves into more like "You shouldn't insist competing against those who are more gifted than you." Her arc becomes a tragedy because she was built to lose, doubly so because she was essentially tricked into thinking she had the talent to go for it.

Doll-making. I forget if she made Shingetsu's doll or just showed Shingetsu how to do it, but the craft seemed to be something she enjoyed and did well at, only for her to set it aside in order to focus on becoming a magus. It's not very exciting compared to becoming god-king of the world, but half the point of GRANBELM is that becoming god-king of the world isn't a healthy or realistic desire.

As for the message: the way I see it, it's more like "you don't need to inherit the family business, and if you're not the best person for the job, you probably shouldn't." Anna's dedication to magic is, or at least was, extrinsic; she grew up surrounded by declarations of magic's importance. As the daughter of a mage, she was expected to become one herself. The tragedy is that society pushed her to do something she was obviously terrible at.

Endorph posted:

i do think jesus anna and kuon got screwed hard.
No kidding! With how unfair and out-of-nowhere Kuon's death was, I expected her (as well as Anna) to be brought back after the finale, either via magic or as a result of the disappearance of magic. Kuon lives on in her sister, kind of, but it's still a pretty weird resolution to her arc. She shouldn't have continued the cycle of violence, I guess?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/laborgay/status/1177363479646355457

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was good but it could have been better. If they were going to have magiaconatus lie about how bad it was going to be anyway they should have just brought everyone back.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

That ending was nonsensical and garbage and this is one of the more spectacular last-minute collapses I've seen from an anime in a *while*

Haha what i thought that ending was great what was nonsensical about it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I liked the series a lot overall, but I agree that the final arc is weak unfortunately.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Homura and Sickle posted:

Haha what i thought that ending was great what was nonsensical about it

Given all the time they spent establishing that Mangetsu has basically no self-worth, is extremely depressed, and doesn't think that there's any particular meaning in her existence, her ultimately deciding, with the show's clear approval, that "yeah actually it would be better if I didn't exist any more" leaves an extremely foul aftertaste, especially since her life is thrown away mostly just so Shingetsu can Destroy All Magic - a goal that doesn't actually *mean* anything to me because magic itself is such a vague and impersonal entity. Shingetsu's arc doesn't fare much better, being almost as enthusiastically and pointlessly self-destructive as Mangetsu's, and Suisho turned out to be incredibly boring and one-dimensional, which in turn retroactively renders Shisui and Kuon's story much weirder and largely meaningless. I went into these last two episodes thinking "oh god, what are they gonna do with our heroines' depression" and the show itself seemed to expect me to be thinking "oh god, I hope they can destroy all magic" as if I've ever been given any reason to care more about the vagaries of the setting than the people in it the show's actually spent time trying to get me to invest in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Given all the time they spent establishing that Mangetsu has basically no self-worth, is extremely depressed, and doesn't think that there's any particular meaning in her existence, her ultimately deciding, with the show's clear approval, that "yeah actually it would be better if I didn't exist any more" leaves an extremely foul aftertaste, especially since her life is thrown away mostly just so Shingetsu can Destroy All Magic
mangetsu's life had so much meaning that she literally came back lol, magic was the root cause of everyone's depression

also, interview with the producer, not too much incredibly interesting since it seems to have been conducted when the anime just started airing but there's a few interesting bits about 2d vs 3d mecha animation and the director loving tomino.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, and the mecha designer, Jimmy Stone, has a bunch of concept art and keyframes of the mechs up on his twitter if you liked the designs.

https://twitter.com/jsq1988211robo/status/1177272155802718211

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Also, Mangetsu's last words last episode were a variant on 'the moon is beautiful', which is famous in Japanese literature as a punny way to say 'I love you'. I did think, though, that all that explicitly romantic stuff sat a little oddly with the reveal (overtly acknowledged in the text) that Mangetsu was basically Shingetsu's daughter, and with the 'parent sacrificing themselves so their kid could have a future' ending.

I would also have liked slightly more acknowledgement of how hideously Magiaconatus had treated Suishou, although at least they didn't push against that idea or imply too hard that the big sky-castle was decent and noble after all, and at least she got a bit of empathy from Shingetsu.

On an unrelated note, this episode made it really, really obvious (as if the interview above didn't) that the staff are UC Gundam megafans. Like, goddamn, they just packed in the references.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, Mangetsu's last words last episode were a variant on 'the moon is beautiful', which is famous in Japanese literature as a punny way to say 'I love you'. I did think, though, that all that explicitly romantic stuff sat a little oddly with the reveal (overtly acknowledged in the text) that Mangetsu was basically Shingetsu's daughter, and with the 'parent sacrificing themselves so their kid could have a future' ending.
I reallllyyyy didn't have that read at all. Mangetsu was made as an ideal partner for Shingetsu, not her child. And when Shingetsu says 'like a child born to a human mother,' it's just speaking generally about how human beings grow, I don't think she's referring to Mangetsu as her daughter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

I reallllyyyy didn't have that read at all. Mangetsu was made as an ideal partner for Shingetsu, not her child. And when Shingetsu says 'like a child born to a human mother,' it's just speaking generally about how human beings grow, I don't think she's referring to Mangetsu as her daughter.

I mean, who else is that mother going to be? She also said that in the context of their shared worry that Mangetsu was simply an extension of Shingetsu, rather than someone with her own free will, and likened her to Suishou, who has major parent issues.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, who else is that mother going to be? She also said that in the context of their shared worry that Mangetsu was simply an extension of Shingetsu, rather than someone with her own free will, and likened her to Suishou, who has major parent issues.
Suishou also had her whole evil lesbian shtick going on though, and 'extension of Shingetsu' reads way more girlfriends-y than mother/daughter-y.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

Suishou also had her whole evil lesbian shtick going on though, and 'extension of Shingetsu' reads way more girlfriends-y than mother/daughter-y.

... eh? Not sure I follow. Suishou seemed to be brought up because Magiaconatus had treated her as a machine when she was actually its daughter, which was tragic and horrific and not something that Shingetsu wanted to repeat with Mangetsu, which was why she was happy to sit back, fade into the background, and let her live her own life as an actual, proper person.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wish they had come up with better fight choreography than funnels funnels funnels funnels laser

anyway, a happy enough ending. decent show, really cool sound design and mecha design choices, a bunch of characters i enjoyed and am glad to see move on. rip anna even if you did kind of suck

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

the director loving tomino.

Not surprising with the incredibly unsubtle Zeta Gundam tribute in the last episode.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I enjoyed this a lot overall, but I gotta say that it peaked early because Anna was hilarious, angry and hilariously angry.
And then she got angrier and I loved every second of it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I watched this show over the last uh, few hours, and I thought it was pretty good but you can really tell that it had that robot anime vibe, especially the part where they do good with the nuts and bolts character stuff but when they start overreaching to BIG THEMES and GRAND MESSAGES it got a bit dull and muddled

I really loved Anna though. There's something really appealing about the occasional unrepentant, relentless mad dog villain, especially with a tour de force vocal performance behind them. It takes a hell of a touch to outshine Y.Aoi in a series where she plays a scenery chewing villain, but I think Hikasa did it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

Not surprising with the incredibly unsubtle Zeta Gundam tribute in the last episode.

Oh, there was lots more Gundam references than that. The final fight owed a lot to CCA Char versus Amuro, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cool show

don't really have much to add lol