Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Just woke up and saw where Kristen Bell is saying Frozen 2 is more adult so now I'm seeing it as a new Veronica Mars surprise movie with Anna as Veronica and Elsa as Maddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

pokeyman posted:

Started a season 1 rewatch and thought "wow, a lot of characters in this show have been raped".

...which is entirely realistic.

I'm doing a rewatch, too. Duncan isn't as bad as I remember, although maybe it's more season 2 brings everything down.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dawgstar posted:

I'm doing a rewatch, too. Duncan isn't as bad as I remember, although maybe it's more season 2 brings everything down.

Duncan only gets really bad for me in season 3.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Duncan is boring af from the start. And it’s ok story-wise because Veronica seems boring af before poo poo hits the fan, but it’s not fun to watch.

Speaking of not fun to watch, "my mother the fiend" and the lost dog one. Yeesh.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pokeyman posted:

Duncan is boring af from the start. And it’s ok story-wise because Veronica seems boring af before poo poo hits the fan, but it’s not fun to watch.

Speaking of not fun to watch, "my mother the fiend" and the lost dog one. Yeesh.

The lost dog story is detective TV 101, it's the cat up a tree for fireman TV. Get with the program.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Teddy Dunn is like walking cancer.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Teddy Dunn is like walking cancer.

Because he's a lawyer. That math checks out.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I liked Veronica and Duncan. They really seemed to understand each other. The only actual problem they had was that Veronica can't shake that danger addiction. And while Duncan didn't seem to mind that part of Veronica, she can't really deal with someone whose, for lack of a better term, boring. I could definitely see him coming back and becoming a really close friend or something.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Duncan and Veronica weren't great for each other but it worked to enough of an extent to make it worth watching now and again as their story was told. Then they ran out of things for him to do and he was shuffled out of the story and that's fine.

Pretty much exactly like Logan tbh

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Duncan's a perfectly fine character in general, it's just that the actor playing him sucks out loud. He couldn't pull off any of the comedy and he definitely couldn't pull off any of the mood swings. The way his story ended was nice though.

Piz was a "boring, nice guy" character to contrast with Logan too, but Chris Lowell is actually a decent actor so it was fine.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

I've read a lot of Internet Complaints against Piz over the years about how boring he is and it's like, yeah, that's the point. He's the wheat bran Veronica knows is good for her when she stays up all night craving Franken Berry or whatever cereal actually fits this goofy analogy

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LesterGroans posted:

Piz was a "boring, nice guy" character to contrast with Logan too, but Chris Lowell is actually a decent actor so it was fine.

Oddly there was a bigger outcry against Piz amongst my social set than Duncan for whatever reason, but admittedly I think a lot of them saw their college selves as Piz and went 'ew.' (A surprising number were DJs for the local college station.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Piz sucks and I will DIE on this hill.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

As long as they saw themselves in Piz and not Mercer that's ok

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Rhyno posted:

Piz sucks and I will DIE on this hill.

Piz went on Reddit after breaking up with Veronica and called himself a nice guy at least a dozen times in the rant he posted and it's time we all admitted that.

But I will admit his impression of Wallace in one episode always cracks me up

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Speaking of, I just fuckin love Percy Daggs III. Dud just steps back into the Wallace role so easily and he's always hilarious. Just perfect dry delivery. I love him.

Don't have children Veronica.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I know, right? And I have seen him in LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE. Give the guy some more roles.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I know, right? And I have seen him in LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE. Give the guy some more roles.

He was an extra in Detention (2011), the best movie ever. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's maddening!

MiddleOne posted:

He was an extra in Detention (2011), the best movie ever. :colbert:

It really is!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 26, 2019

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

He was in an episode of iZombie. Don't remember which season though

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

He was in an episode of iZombie. Don't remember which season though

So was Dick. Ryan Hansen should also work a lot more.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was semi-delighted to see him in the Friday the 13th reboot, where he got a spear through the eyeball.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Piz was the worst in season 3 but I loved him in the movie.

He kills it on GLOW.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MokBa posted:

He kills it on GLOW.

Oh shiiiit. I thought I recognized him on GLOW but couldn't place where from. It'd been a while since I've watched any Veronica Mars.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

LesterGroans posted:

Duncan's a perfectly fine character in general, it's just that the actor playing him sucks out loud. He couldn't pull off any of the comedy and he definitely couldn't pull off any of the mood swings. The way his story ended was nice though.

This is absolutely correct and I’m mad I didn’t figure it out myself.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Rhyno posted:

Speaking of, I just fuckin love Percy Daggs III. Dud just steps back into the Wallace role so easily and he's always hilarious. Just perfect dry delivery. I love him.

Don't have children Veronica.

Plus... man has Percy Daggs III aged well. He's daddy AF now.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
As someone who has been a diehard fan since S1, I really hated the ending. I feel like tossing out everything people liked about the show is a bad move

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MokBa posted:

He kills it on GLOW.
Holy poo poo! I never put that together!

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

As someone who has been a diehard fan since S1, I really hated the ending. I feel like tossing out everything people liked about the show is a bad move

As someone else who has been a diehard fan since S1, I loved the ending. I'm excited for what the future of the show could be, and the setup for it is great. I'm sad that Jason Dohring probably wouldn't be in it any more - but then, Lilly was peppered throughout season 1 and she was dead the whole time too! Veronica tormented by Logan's ghost would be a fun ride.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I fell behind in watching iZombie and intend to catch up on the final season when it comes to Netflix next week, but apparently last night's series finale spoiled the Veronica Mars finale.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I fell behind in watching iZombie and intend to catch up on the final season when it comes to Netflix next week, but apparently last night's series finale spoiled the Veronica Mars finale.

Hmmm I didn't see anything that spoiled the finale, might have missed it.

Piz is in it though!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

iajanus posted:

The only thing that really annoyed me about the finale was why the hell didn't they take his bag out of the car? they solved the case, defused the bomb at the school, knew he had the bag with him when they left, and presumably would have been slightly suspicious about what the evil bomber had been carrying around with him, stress notwithstanding.

It's the specific convenience of the timing that should bother you. Like the only reason Logan went out to the car was because of a text alert for a street sweeper.

What if he'd parked the car somewhere else?

What if he was taking a poo poo?

What of he was away on one of those random calls overseas?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just finished it and although I called the bomber right from the start, the show did a pretty good job at redirecting my suspicions right up to the end (at one point I was banking on a surprise Jake Kane culprit out of nowhere, so I laughed when he actually did show up at the end). It was kind of funny how he's probably the first culprit she's faced that's straight up a cackling supervillain though; even Cassidy wasn't that brazen about being evil.

Taking the show away from Neptune would deprive us of some of my favorite characters, but I liked every newly introduced character enough that I have faith that a Scooby-Doo road trip season or two will have plenty of entertaining new faces.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Next season she goes on a cross-country road trip and just keeps encountering Madison Sinclair

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I finally watched seasons 2 and 3 when they went on Hulu a few weeks back, bought the movie Blu-ray, and just finished S4 tonight, all some 13 years after watching S1 on DVD.

...sooo, does anyone have links to old SA threads for those seasons? Kind of looking to read 'em during a series re-watch, a sort of Goon time-traveling commentary track. Remember the Veronica Mars Avatar Army? Show was nutso popular 'round here.

EDIT: Found a S2 hype thread. Amazing how many people still have VM avatars.

EDIT 2:

pwn fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 11, 2019

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

pwn posted:

...sooo, does anyone have links to old SA threads for those seasons? Kind of looking to read 'em during a series re-watch, a sort of Goon time-traveling commentary track. Remember the Veronica Mars Avatar Army? Show was nutso popular 'round here.

Quick search turned this up for you, links in the thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1736634

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Hannibal Rex posted:

Quick search turned this up for you, links in the thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1736634
Thanks, good jumping off point!

Every thread I could find. First season was a megathread, second was weekly, third was weekly until mid-season.

S1
OG S1 watch thread
S1 Rerun watch thread

S1
S2 hype thread

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

S2 "Whodunnit" Speculation

S3
S3 hype thread

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10-14 15 16-20

Why I Hate Veronica Mars
RIP Veronica Mars

Strangely I couldn't locate a thread for S03E04, Charlie Don't Surf. The OP for E05 (which would have linked to it) disappeared, and E04's thread seems to be missing from the index. Also weird that some threads have lost replies. S03E03 for instance only has 17 replies remaining of the original 6 pages.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
So I finally got around to seeing it, because I had to wait on a friend. I was dumb enough to read a post on reddit talking about the ending, a day after the season was released (it was properly labelled, but I just got curious), so I had known about the death for a while, but only now saw the actual season. Overall I thought it was great, the ending makes me sad, but I also understand it as Logan's character arch being done now that he finally has control over his life, while Veronica needs to stay "damaged" to work.
I hope we get a seaon 5.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Oasx posted:

So I finally got around to seeing it, because I had to wait on a friend. I was dumb enough to read a post on reddit talking about the ending, a day after the season was released (it was properly labelled, but I just got curious), so I had known about the death for a while, but only now saw the actual season. Overall I thought it was great, the ending makes me sad, but I also understand it as Logan's character arch being done now that he finally has control over his life, while Veronica needs to stay "damaged" to work.
I hope we get a seaon 5.

Yeah, definitely. My girlfriend was devastated because she really loves Logan from the older run. But for sure: his arc was finished. It's more interesting going forward for Veronica to be unable to fall back on him.

In general, I think this season did a great job showing how much Logan had grown. More specifically, how much work he had to put in TO grow, and the friction that created in his relationship with Veronica. That scene where he calls out the toxic, violent poo poo from his past that Veronica clearly still wanted was fantastic. Since the end of the original run, he clearly looked at himself in the mirror and did what he needed to escape his flaws. Meanwhile, Veronica is the same distant, cynical, distrustful person she always was.

If S5 happens, it'll be interesting to see what she becomes. Because on one hand, she had to be vulnerable and risk something to marry Logan. And had to acknowledge she needed help by seeing his therapist. But also, his death kind of justifies every cynical impulse she's ever had. Never trust anyone, don't let yourself love anything, always expect tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I wonder how Neptune went from having a sheriff to a chief of police. Is this covered in the books?