Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I said "literature" though. I wouldn't be surprised if Back to the Future was based on a book but it doesn't seem to be. And I've never heard of Dog of Flanders, so there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Makatka posted:

I said "literature" though. I wouldn't be surprised if Back to the Future was based on a book but it doesn't seem to be. And I've never heard of Dog of Flanders, so there you go.

Back to the Future isn't, but it does have an amazing novelization.

On topic, apparently the Moomin books are popular. Japan's got a lot of foreign literature in circulation.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Omg, the Moomin :neckbeard: The anime adaptation hosed me up so hard when I was a kid

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This ep was pretty heavy, usually there's more comedy to break up the drama.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Droyer posted:

This ep was pretty heavy, usually there's more comedy to break up the drama.

I dunno, Milo choosing the shittiest, cheapest love hotel was a pretty solid powermove. And in the end he won with the strongest technique of all that Hongo never accounted for.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Was Jujou the gyaru?

<-- bad with names

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah. I guess student privacy isn't really a thing in Japan? The teacher going "she dropped out 'cause she got knocked up" was kinda messed up to me and would never fly here.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Minors are covered under Japan's privacy laws, but that poor girl's run afoul of Social Harmony and deserves to have her dirty laundry aired to keep the other kids in line. They're pretty sure she's too busy being a disgrace to her family to take them to court(Her parents would say it serves her right anyway).

The law's the law, but culture is culture.

Are you ready for the School-wide morality crackdown? I know I'm...not.

¥2500 Rest. Milo is a savage.

Kazusa's panties arc was gripping.

Had about enough of your poo poo, Niina.

:ohdear: Be strong, Momo.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 7, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Was Jujou the gyaru?

<-- bad with names

Yep.

Also, if I was paying attention correctly at the start of the episode (which I might not have been), she was also the writer of the book that beat Hongo to market.

Makes sense since the editor they were looking for someone experienced in, well, loving, over literary style.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
When did I get that av? I went over a decade without one, so it's strange to suddenly appear.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Paracelsus posted:

When did I get that av? I went over a decade without one, so it's strange to suddenly appear.

It's probably a gift from permabanned user DILBERT AS gently caress.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
If there's one thing this series makes me certain of is that we are in desperate need of obligatory sex-ed classes.

Also I keep forgetting how old these guys are supposed to be when they're blushing holding hands.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Makatka posted:

If there's one thing this series makes me certain of is that we are in desperate need of obligatory sex-ed classes.

Also I keep forgetting how old these guys are supposed to be when they're blushing holding hands.

Japanese sexual repression ain't great.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Eagerly awaiting seeing Milo covered in hot dogs next episode.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Of all the ways I was anticipating this show to end, I gotta say a hostage situation wasn't one of them.

Sonezaki and Amagi continue to be the best, and having them of all people end up as scapegoats is a brilliant way to spur things towards the climax. I'm really happy she's grown as a person so as to understand the way Jujou is being treated is bullshit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shyrka posted:

Eagerly awaiting seeing Milo covered in hot dogs next episode.

Poor Milo.

Right after he testified to defend his students, too.

If his suffering wasn't so funny, I'd really feel bad for him.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Man, that last plot development is really, really dumb. And there's about six other interesting storylines I'd prefer they wrap up in the next 24 minutes. :mad:

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with how this episode went. I've been in love with this show all throughout but it feels like it's taken a really questionable turn here. With only one episode remaining it's going to be hard to wrap things up in a satisfying way for all the girls' arcs while also dealing with the new developments from this week that have taken focus.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Believe in Mari Okada.

Believe in your feelings getting punched in the crotch. With Brass knuckles.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oooh yeah, can't wait.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
All I want to know is who's gonna commit suicide

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
uh hopefully no one

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Hope has nothing to do with it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Best option would be Saegusa, but from reading the room it seems like Okada doesn't do endings that are completely satisfying for our protagonists.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

esselfortium posted:

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with how this episode went. I've been in love with this show all throughout but it feels like it's taken a really questionable turn here. With only one episode remaining it's going to be hard to wrap things up in a satisfying way for all the girls' arcs while also dealing with the new developments from this week that have taken focus.

The show hasn't been bad, but it never fully lived up to the level of expectation set by the first episode.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

Best option would be Saegusa, but from reading the room it seems like Okada doesn't do endings that are completely satisfying for our protagonists.

Was it The Virgin Suicides where the whole female cast killed themselves in the end?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

I wouldn't say that. She definitely does emotional endings, but I can think of a bunch of shows right off the top of my head that were overall satisfying.

Anohana had Menma's ghost moved on, which is sad, but also what ghosts are meant to do, and she did it after helping her family and friends recover from the tragedy of her death.

Hisone and Masotan had everybody live, and the main breakup get fixed, even if Hisone's survival was only revealed in the last shot.

And in IBO, she was the one arguing for the ending we got... which was considerably happier than the alternatives on the table.

She's got a deserved rep for tearjerkers, but she doesn't just do tragedy for tragedy's sake in the endgame.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

The show hasn't been bad, but it never fully lived up to the level of expectation set by the first episode.

I'd amend that to the first 2-3 episodes, but yeah. It's a tough genre, to be fair. I hope they can stick the landing...

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I did not expect this to turn into a student occupation, but now I'm wondering if Hongo is a deliberate reference to the Todai Riots.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I think that hostage situation twist isn't that bad. There is some bad air between them, so thanks to teamwork and newly acquired powers of sex they will (hopefully) resolve their problems while freeing Sonezaki. It's definitely more of a grand finale than I expected, but the show was getting a bit stale and hopeless lately, so that's a welcome change. But yeah, the ending probably will be a bit underwhelming (I just hope Momo'll be okay :qq: )

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The literature club resorting to hostage-taking was clearly foreshadowed by them using blackmail to get a club advisor. Fearsome juvenile crime syndicate

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

And in IBO, she was the one arguing for the ending we got... which was considerably happier than the alternatives on the table.
TBF, the ending we got still felt like they got off light. While Orga was often good at thinking on his feet and making the most as he went, the fact that some of the crew of Tekkadan + Kudelia survived after he sided with Macky still feels like a dadgum miracle, because Rustal was a ruthless (if somewhat pragmatic) mo'fo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

TBF, the ending we got still felt like they got off light. While Orga was often good at thinking on his feet and making the most as he went, the fact that some of the crew of Tekkadan + Kudelia survived after he sided with Macky still feels like a dadgum miracle, because Rustal was a ruthless (if somewhat pragmatic) mo'fo.

Yeah, the last five episodes were heavily revised after discussion between Okada and the director (her longtime collaborator Tatsuyki Nagai).

In the original version, everybody died. Presumably, Orga's "Change our names, fake our deaths, move to Canada until this blows over" plan wasn't how he'd originally react to disaster.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

And we're done. (Well, there was apparently an epilogue chapter of the manga, so we might get something in OVA form, but I wouldn't bet on it.)

Surprisingly solid ending considering how much it needed to wrap up. And of course

It fit.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Pretty cute and wholesome considering what it was going in.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I thought the ending was decent, and I'm glad we got to see how Jujou is doing. Her baby daddy looks so uncomfortable in their picture.

I wonder if Milo's told Tomita about the whole Hongo thing.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Somehow the funniest part of this episode was the school staff showing up, briefly confronting the Literature Club, then... just deciding it wasn't really worth the effort to deal with right now and leaving.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, there were some good gags here, and I 100% appreciate them ending on a sex joke, but I don’t think it holds together well. It was worth watching but (in my mind anyway) totally didn’t live up to the promise of the first three eps or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I quite enjoyed the show overall but I don't think it'll stay with me for long. It really had a lot of potential though