Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I am Noberta called Allegra, a messenger for the Prince. I am an identical twin, a renowned duelling fencer, a family-oriented woman and an inveterate gambler. The latter has left me with an unpaid, bitter bond which I will need to settle with my creditors at some point. perhaps with my winnings from the Orichalcum Blade Tournament when I finally master that unconquered challenge. I was ever the more adventurous of out of my sib and myself, learning the art of the blade and pledging to the prince, but I take simple pleasure in the home-cooked local delicacies that my sister excels in making. Family is especially important to me, my most prized possession is an embroidered sash made and gifted by my twin, and I hold a deep love for my nephew, Noberto, whom my sister did me the most profound honour when she named him.

-

Name: Allegra
Selves: an identical twin, a renowned duelling fencer, a family-oriented woman, inveterate gambler
Possessions: an embroidered sash made and gifted by my twin

Growth: 0
Decay: 0
Severence: 0
Renewal: 0
Illusion: 0
Clarity: 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 2

Other messengers come and go, and soon it shall be my turn to do the bidding of our prince. The routine of the caravan, of constant motion, of pitching tents and dropping them, pack and unpack, forage and trade for supplies, shall soon give way to the uncertainties of the road, though as yet we are still close to the heartland of our great realm.

I watch those who depart and who return, observing how the road weathers them, and their preparations for it. The journey seems it will be a minor hardship at worst, and i hold the faces of my treasured kin in mind as I make ready for my own duties.

Selves: an identical twin, a renowned duelling fencer, a family-oriented woman, inveterate gambler

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 3

quote:

DiceBot: @AJ_Impy: 2d6 = (6+1) = 7
I reach the city.

Nothing quite like the serenity of home, and a meal with the one who shares my face and with her family. Our different lives have touched our bodies in different ways, with her appearing more matronly and fuller-figured, myself more weathered and toned, but at heart we are almost as one. But the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb, and so her husband and especially my nephew are her focus now. It is a time of pleasant respite and commenting on how well Norberto is growing.

My creditors do not catch wind of my presence, or are not minded to press the matter during my brief sojourn in the city. Instead I take the opportunity to have a crack at the Orichalcum Blade, though I am bested in the early rounds by some thoroughly unorthodox swordplay by one who seemed set for the final rounds. Ah well, next time. For now I collect my letters and take my leave.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 4

Back to the Caravan, back to the prince. Protocol and procedure, my precious dispatches to the quartermaster. It pleases me that I've made good time, considering the distance, though this might not be the case going forward, as the Caravan inevitably does.

As I turn in for the night, it seems Corriere is also in camp, so I take the opportunity to question him.

"Ah, Corriere! How are you holding up? How are things here? Anything interesting on your travels?"

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra

A pleasant enough conversation, talking shop with a fellow messenger.

"Oh, I can't complain. I will always miss them, but they gave me a sendoff of good memories last I was there. I tried the tourney, but was knocked out in the early round. Unorthodox swordplay is putting it lightly. I'll do better next time."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

quote:

DiceBot: @UnCO3: 2d6k1 = (1+2) = 2
All right, new land. It is a barren, beautiful gully. (formerly unknown land 4.)

Allegra
Turn 5

What is eating this place?

A trickle of a river has carved its way through colourful, striated strata of varying stone, consuming its way ever downwards with this winding, tiered notch etched into the barren lands I traverse. Little grows among the rocks, but I can find shelter here, and refill my waterskins.

Who is studying this place?
It is clear I am not the only sojourner in these lands. I glimpse in passing someone painstakingly brushing away at the layers of exposed rock, revealing stones that could almost be bones if you look at them the right way. Is there some potency to them, or some ancient knowledge, perhaps? I raise my empty hand in peaceful greeting, but do not disturb their labours.

My curiosity gets the better of me. A considerable stretch past where they work, I happen on a rock halfway up that could almost be a strange black lizard skull embedded in the surrounding stone. A fascinating curio which I tuck into my pack.

Possessions: an embroidered sash made and gifted by my twin, a tiny lizard skull of stone and in stone

Clarity: 1

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 3, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 6

quote:

2d6k1 = (1+3) = 3
I reach the Godsbridge.

Ahh, the Godsbridge. Truly a marvel, and to reach it is to know the city is near. I take a welcome respite at the inn, which is bustling and jolly. I settle in and think that soon I will see my kin, and do my duty.on behalf of the Prince. but here and now, the missives are safe, the mood is pleasant, and the food is good.

quote:

BOTDiceBot: @AJ_Impy: 1d6 = (2) = 2
Who or what is healing here?

I come across Kerinna, a friendly rival, convalescing from injuries sustained in the Orichalcum Blade Tournament held recently. Her recovery is going well, and we while away pleasant hours talking shop and gossiping on former opponents.

When it is time to continue, I take nothing beyond my replenishment, leave nothing bar the innkeep's due, and leave things as they are.

Possessions: an embroidered sash made and gifted by my twin, a tiny lizard skull of stone and in stone

Renewal: 1

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 14, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 7

I reach the city.

As I approach the city, I pass Corriere as he departs, offering a friendly salute as I call out "Godspeed" as we are momentarily in earshot.

quote:

Assigning Renewal to the Dun Quarter
1d6 = (5) = 5

Past the gates, I find my route approaching the Dun Quarter. What was a downtrodden slum is now abuzz with new construction, renovated houses and people working away at their dwellings with renewed hope invigorating timeworn faces. Some wealthy benefactor has channelled resources into uplifting the district, giving work and wages to the destitute and raising up proper housing where once were shacks and hovels.

I chat about it excitedly with my twin over her delicious reunion repast. It turns out the most recent winner of the Orichalcum Blade tourney grew up there, and wanted to ensure the miseries of their youth would not carry on to another generation. My creditors had been asking after me, but that had been a while ago, and I needed to gather the wherewithal to pay them. Norberto filled my heart with joy, he is becoming quite the young gentleman.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 8

As I ride on, I pass my twin's brother-in-law laden with another tranche of our Prince's correspondence. I smile warmly and acknowledge our kinship, both through familial ties and our common duty. "Brother."

quote:

2d6k1 = (6+3) = 6

I reach the obelisks.

Rolling Clarity posted:

2d6 = (1+5) = 6
The land has changed significantly, increasing clarity

The mighty pillars of stone are visible from afar, but as I draw near a veritable settlement of tents and temporary structures has sprung up in proximity. Wise folk, seekers after knowledge, ascending scaffolds to transcribe the carvings on each stele, to be translated and transliterated by those below. The true meaning of what is written here is in the process of being deciphered, and it seems soon there will be one less mystery.

They greet me amicably, and I trade news for a space at a hearth, sharing bread evening and morning. Not far now to the Caravan. I leave them be.

Clarity: 2

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 18, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 9

Approaching the caravan, I cross paths with the outgoing rider, and offer him a friendly salute before pressing on to my destination.

I reach the caravan..

The terrain here makes it easy to find the caravan, the tracks of the massive wagons, princely and provision, the hoofprints of oxen and horse, the tromp of human feet alongside, it is a veritable road carved into the loam. Soon, I arrive. It is currently on the move, and I salute the rearguard, smiling at Dorigo and Esteban entrusted with that duty, glad to be amongst fellow travellers and comrades once more. I pass between the wagons bearing the tents, their contents, and the supplies needed for the welfare of all, drawing near to the vanguard of the caravan in motion, the wagon of the Prince himself. After securing my mount, I am helped aboard, the constant rumble of motion all around me as I approach our beloved patron to hand his aide the correspondence.

The prince greets me, and engages me in conversation over what I have seen on the journey. He charges me with a task:

The Prince posted:

"Find for me a wordless song."

He also asks of me a question,

The Prince posted:

"Who is the most beautiful of this loyal retinue, and is their beauty is being wasted out here in the wilderness?"

To which I replied, "My prince, there are faces I have not seen since last I was here, and others who are absent in your service, precluding me from taking time to merely check on those in the caravan. Thus, I must judge only those whom I have seen since my arrival, and given that I count you and they as exceedingly handsome, that leaves myself as qualifying for the epithet beautiful. and no, I would gladly serve you until my beauty was a memory, or spent well in your service. Besides that, I am but one of a pair of twins, and my beloved sister remains in the city, to look upon her is to know me and vice versa."

The prince seemed pleased with my wordplay, and seemed amenable to granting a boon once I returned with his wordless song.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 10

quote:

2d6k1 = (5+5) = 5

I reach the obelisks.

Rolling clarity posted:

3d6 = (1+5+2) = 8
The land has changed significantly, increasing clarity

The knowledge-seekers recognise me and are still amicable. It is clear that the structures around the ancient obelisks are giving way to more permanent establishments, almost a village at the foot of the veritable monuments. Great success has been had in their task, and small plinths containing translations of the writings on each face of the spires are under construction, each positioned in front of the relevant facet. I congratulate their progress, and converse with them, touching on songs that they know, all of which have words.

Thus, I depart empty-handed but on good terms.

Clarity: 3

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 11

I pass my twin's kin once more. 'Money', they cry. Have my creditors been causing problems? Moving against my family? "Understood." I reply. though I will need to get to the bottom of this more thoroughly.

quote:

2d6k1 = (4+3) = 4

I reach the second unknown land: A Formerly Bustling Tradepost.

This place used to be a thriving centre of trade, a lively hub where river traffic would transfer their cargoes to traverse the road over the Godsbridge and into the city. Just one problem: There's no river any more. There's a foul-smelling, marshy ditch along its old course, but that's less navigable than the terrain it divides.

quote:

What here is just a dream?

Any hope for this place restoring its former glories. The inn, its facade cracked and faded, still gets some custom, but even this is dwindling, the Tavern at the Godsbridge far more successful these days.

quote:

Who resents this place?

At the Inn, I see a withered, wizened old man with a permanent scowl, dressed in a faded uniform long stripped of pomp. The Innkeep confides that he is Petrucio the Harbourmaster, a hereditary position pinning him here for the sake of his father's memory. He does not seem best pleased by this.

Come the morrow, I take my leave and nothing else. This place is depressing.

Decay: 1
Clarity: 3

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 12

I pass a courier and salute them wordlessly, a moment of comradely recognition far from our respective destinations.

quote:

I reach the city.

3 clarity on Katerina
DiceBot: @AJ_Impy: 3d6k1 = (2+3+5) = 5

I arrive to courts awash with gossip and tumult: The daughter of a foreign ambassador has been accused of trying to solicit sensitive information by befriending people in key positions over games of chess. Quite the international incident: It might blow over or it might result in greater upheaval. I deliver the correspondence and hasten home.

My sister gives me the bittersweet news of my beloved nephew's decision, and the far more worrying tidings of violence from the creditors. I head to the monastery at the prescribed visiting hours to set eyes on him, and I bequeath him the stone skull I found on my travels. I respect his choices, and will always be his loving aunt.

Changing 'a family-oriented woman' to 'a family-supportive woman no matter what'.

The creditors are another matter. My dalliances with the Orichalcum Blade mean that going after me directly is a risk even they aren't willing to take, but blood has been spilled and that cannot be accepted. No debt is worth the crimes they have committed, and this score will be settled by other means.

I break the tie.

I begin my return with renewed purpose. Once I find the wordless song, I know what I will ask of my prince.

Selves: an identical twin, a renowned duelling fencer, a family-supportive woman no matter what, inveterate gambler

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 8, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 13

quote:

I arrive at the winding cliff path
Decay:
DiceBot: @AJ_Impy: 1d6 = (3) = 3
What atrocity happened here?

As Allegra approached the winding cliff path, the first thing that hit her was the smell. She knew well the aroma of death, and this place was replete with it, the air thick and heavy. Down at the bottom of the cliff were the remains of a trade caravan, wagons shattered like ships foundered in a storm, broken-legged horses still in the remnants of their traces, and the unmistakable shapes that were once humans. The bodies and wagons had clearly been ransacked, the shattered frames of wood and bone left to bleach in the sun together, and to feed the carrion-birds.

Just as Allegra was about to conclude that there was nothing she could do for the cliff-pushed victims, She heard something. The song of a raven, perched on a jutting, broken axle. A song without words, but with a clear melody. She held her place for a while to transcribe it, intent on taking beauty away from this place of ruination and suffering, an act of defiance against those who did this. That was all she took as she went on her way

Selves: an identical twin, a renowned duelling fencer, a family-supportive woman no matter what, inveterate gambler
Possessions: an embroidered sash made and gifted by my twin, a transcribed song without words from a raven.

Severance: 1

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 14

"Beloved!" my sister's husband's brother calls to me. Seeing my twin in my features, perhaps? I remember well how close they were before Cicalone chose duty and the war over settling down with her. Not the settling type, neither he nor I, but I can definitely see some of what my closest kin saw in him. If he's offering interest, I might well follow up on it, for we both weave a lonely road with the same purpose and dedication. I have but time for a single word as duty carries us on, so, smiling warmly I enquire, "Proposition?" before moving out of range. Has a seed been sown? We shall have to see.

quote:

@UnCO3: 2d6k1 = (6+1) = 6
I arrive at unknown land 11, an Insular, Hostile Settlement (Renewal)

The stockade was the first thing to draw the eye, jagged wooden pilings surrounding a substantial area. Within them, large, fertile fields interspersed with dwellings. Outside, plains on the verge of barrenness, and well-armed, well-armored patrols. A few inches of steel were bared from their scabbards when I tried to draw near, stopping and trying to question them met only with stony silence, and scowling eyes bored into me even as I gave them a wide berth. They had made a paradise from the wilderness, but outsiders were clearly unwelcome.

What is the most beautiful thing here?

The glimpses I got of the stockaded land appeared to show a truly successful venture, well-built houses, verdant fields with lush, well-tended crops, a balm for the eye and the soul if not for the barrier they had raised.

What here is out of control?

We are far from the city, and the seal of the Prince holds no sway. These people do as they will and brook no interference: Truly, they are out of control.

Possessions: an embroidered sash made and gifted by my twin, a transcribed song without words from a raven.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 15

quote:

UnCO3: 2d6k1 = (2+5) = 5
I arrive at the Caravan

In motion again as I reach it, a smile and a salute to the rearguard as I once again rejoin my fellow faithful, the loyalists of the prince. It seems to hearten them as well, for much the same reasons. I ride up through the train of wagons, noting with delight Corriere's trusty steed by one of the commissaries. I salute him and make a note to ride by and talk shop once my business with the prince is concluded.

I see the Royal Alchemist depart the Principal wagon, seeming in good spirits. I take my place alongside, and clamber aboard to give my Prince the song he craved. Going by my transcription, I emulate the action of the raven, echoing the wordless song before delivering it to my Prince in its entirety. Delighted, he offers me a boon, and I make good on my resolution at the city.

"Your highness, there are wicked people striking at those who bear your seal in the city, threatening their families and impeding your messengers. They seek to rob money or valuables, and have been violent and harmful. I ask that these people be slated for arrest and be made persona non grata within the City and the lands it has dominion over, forbidden to reside or conduct business. The harm they have caused demands restitution, and those protected by your seal should be as sacrosanct and inviolate as yourself when in your direct service."

Changing self from Inveterate Gambler to Inviolate Representative of the Prince for an unbreakable tie.

Following this, I went to meet with Corriere, to share news of that boon and to ask him, "How have you fared lately?"

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra

"There's plenty of hostility along the way, a cliff where bandits ransack caravans, a hostile settlement where swords are readied for us but words are not. As for my conversation with our lord, bandits of another sort, those attacking us in the city, or threatening our families. By our return, that should soon be ended."

Selves: an identical twin, a renowned duelling fencer, a family-supportive woman no matter what, Inviolate Representative of the Prince

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 13, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 16

"Aye, and that the work we do for our Prince is worth protecting. Safe travels and an easy ride, my friend."

With that I took my leave, to rest up before my return to the city.

quote:

UnCO3: 2d6k1 = (3+3) = 3
I arrive at the red, bonestrewn desert.
Severance: @AJ_Impy: 2d6k1 = (5+3) = 5
A significant change.

I top up my canteens before venturing across the vermilion barrens, having no wish to add my bones or those of my steed to the extensive collection strewn over the next miles. As I ride, I witness a curiosity: Shaded by the long-bleached bones, nature resists her absence, hardy desert plants part-shielded from the sun grow in opposition to the oppressive glare. Not all are successful, I see a number of brown, shrivelled casualties along the way, but it seems the fight between life and its absence is still ongoing even in this unforgiving clime. I pause for a moment to uproot a hardy but wilting specimen, securing it on a pot on my pillion and giving it water.

Selves: an identical twin, a renowned duelling fencer, a family-supportive woman no matter what, Inviolate Representative of the Prince
Possessions: an embroidered sash made and gifted by my twin, a hardy desert plant.

Severance: 2

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 17

I ride by my twin's brother in law, and pass him the hardy desert plant in bloom along with an inviting smile. He speaks but a single word, and it warms my heart.

quote:

2d6k1 = (6+4) = 6
I reach the silent, vaulted forest
2d6k1 = (2+2) = 2 Severance

Who owns this place?

These vasty trees are silent, eerily so. No birdsong, not even a... wait. A lone peregrine, a fellow wanderer has flown in from afar, looking to roost in the security of the high branches. But the branch, it's moving, coiling around the falcon's legs! It's trying to get away, away from... it's getting dragged towards one of the boles on the trunk. Carnivorous trees! I spur on my horse as quickly as they can manage, because this benighted copse is clearly its own master. I take nothing, and leave at great speed.

Growth: 1

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 18

quote:

2d6k1 = (2+2) = 2
I arrive at the timeworn obelisks
Severance:
2d6k1 = (1+2) = 2

How is this place divided?

Once again, I am welcomed at the Obelisks, the settlement strong and thriving. There are few physical demarcations, but there seems to almost be an obliviousness amongst the researchers towards the dancers themselves. Their focus is on the obelisks and their texts, the movements of those atop the pillars are cut off, inconsequential to them.

Strange goings on with those figures. They were all there at my arrival, but when I checked in the evening after supper, one of them seemed to be missing. It was there in the morning when I took my leave, but my hosts seemed almost disinterested in the mystery, ave snide look at one of their number who seemed abashed for some reason. What am I not seeing here?

I took and left nothing as I headed on.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 19

quote:

2d6k1 = (1+4) = 4
I reach the formerly-bustling tradepost
Severance:
2d6k1 = (2+5) = 5
Significant Change

This place again, but something seems different. I approach the town past a new array of buildings being built up from materials taken from the old. I stop and enquire where they came from: It seems the town is factionalising, with the people of the new district fed up with clinging to the past and looking to reshape the town into a new identity, no longer tied to what it was. This has caused simmering resentment with those in the nostalgic areas, and the atmosphere is not one I seek to linger in. My sojourn is fleeting, and I depart at the earliest convenience, taking nothing.ave that which I brought.

Decay: 2

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 20

quote:

I reach the City
Decay on curse the family
BOTDiceBot:@AJ_Impy: 2d6k1 = (1+1) = 1

First and foremost, I deliver my missives to the palace, and my request to my Prince is swiftly acted upon, patrols of armed guards marching past me as I leave, each with one of my creditors detailed in appearance and in crimes. I return home with a smile on my face.

I greet my sister and brother-in-law with great warmth, and share with them my intentions with regards his brother. I know he tends to be quiet around them from what they have told me before, so I leave them a written note and a surprise gift for him when next he visits. My good thoughts towards him, as conveyed by those nearest and dearest to us both.

I try to see Norberto, and do glimpse him through the gate, but he is not permitted to speak with me, nor I him. He has grown into a fine, upstanding young man, yet his shoulders are slumped with sorrow. I fear he may be regretting his choices, but I can see no way to help him just yet.

I test myself in the Orichalcum Blade Tournament, but as far as I get, I'm lacking that little bit extra that separates the good from the great. Ah well, next time.

I procure gifts and messages for Cicalone but leave them with our family.

Selves: an identical twin, a renowned duelling fencer, a concerned family-supportive woman, Inviolate Representative of the Prince

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 25, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 21

quote:

2d6k1 = (2+1) = 2
I reach the Formerly-bustling Tradepost.
Severance: 2d6k1 = (2+6) = 6
Transformation of Severance! Formerly-bustling Tradepost is now Divided Warring Community!

Something is wrong, very, very wrong. A pall of black smoke over some of the buildings, the scent overwhelming even the reek of the former river. The scent of cinders, the scent of smoke, and as an undercurrent, the scent of death. As I draw near I witness a shocking development, buildings gutted and ravaged by flame, rough palisades separating the old town from the new, and bodies strewn between them on the charred, flame-scoured ground. This place had gone to war with itself, the effusion of bitterness boiling over into hatred. I bivouac outside the town limits as they once were.

What is eating this place?

Malice born of frustration as to what it had become. the seekers of new hope and the guardians of the old ways had spilled blood, neighbours turned rivals. Now the town was a charred ruin filled with the vengeful in their armed camps.

What part of this place is false?

The battered old sign for the inn still swings upon its stanchion, promising rest for the weary, food and warmth. The charred ruin behind it makes the lie abundantly clear.

Selves: an identical twin, a renowned duelling fencer, a concerned family-supportive woman, Inviolate Representative of the Prince

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 22

quote:

2d6k1 = (5+2) = 5
I move to unknown land 7, A mossy ruined fort (decay)

I approach what looks from the distance to be a formidable structure, a massive military fortification, though as I draw near it appears the edifice is just a facade. No watchers stand atop the towers, the drawbridge is down and its chains solid with rust. I look inside and see a ruin, all that was of wood has rotted away or is being consumed. The structures within the walls have crumbled, and the walkways beneath the crenellations would support no weight. Nature is reclaiming this place and I in my turn claim a particularly vibrant flower.

When is it always, here?

It is always long after, too late to interact with whoever built and staffed this place. They left their mark, it will take centuries more to fully fade.

What is feeding here?

Nature thrives in the ruin, particularly climbing mosses up the interior walls, and plants growing freely in the former courtyard. Nutrients from the rock and soil, bathed in the light of the sun.

Possessions: an embroidered sash made and gifted by my twin, a vibrant flower from a ruin reclaimed by nature.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 23

I cross paths with Cicalone.

My expression brightens as I see who approaches. He still bears the bloom I gave him before, as true a gesture as any. I surrender to him the one I took from that mossy ruin as well, and ride on invigorated despite the briefness of our encounter.

quote:

2d6k1 = (6+5) = 6
I reach the Nomad Camp
Decay: 2d6k1 = (1+6) = 6
A transformation of decay! A Nomad Camp becomes An Abandoned Patch of Wilderness! (decay)

I reach a patch of wilderness seemingly untouched by civilisation, but as I encamp by some cacti, their blooms slowly fading, I find traces that people once passed by here, horses and... something like but unlike a horse? Strange. But the traces are old, whoever it was had been diligent in their departure. Perhaps they will return, but it seems unlikely.

What does this place believe?

The desert exudes a sense of time and entropy. Nothing is permanent, everyone will move on, everything that once was will fade away. All is ephemeral, and will one day be dust to mingle with the sands.

What here is just a dream?

My rest is fitful and heavy with portent. Hoofbeats, strangely-striped equine flanks. A memory, a prediction or a fever-dream? Who can truly say. Come the morrow, I return to my own, reassuringly plain, steed, and resume my journey, let this place abide with its memories.

Possessions: an embroidered sash made and gifted by my twin, a vibrant flower from a ruin reclaimed by nature (given to Cicalone).

Illusion: 1

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 24

quote:

2d6k1 = (6+2) = 6
I reach a towering rock-cut relief
Renewal: 2d6k1 = (2+4) = 4
Significant change of renewal

She is beautiful. From afar, I see her, weapon and flag held firm, on a massive scale. As I approach, I see figures abseiling down the crown of her head. Are they... Are they painting Her? It certainly looks that way. Bright and vibrant colours, restoring what they think her features to be, it seems. I give them a friendly wave as I go by, it is not my place to say if they are doing good or ill here.

I move on, neither taking nor leaving aught but memory.

Possessions: an embroidered sash made and gifted by my twin, a vibrant flower from a ruin reclaimed by nature (given to Cicalone).

Renewal: 2

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 25

quote:

2d6k1 = (4+6) = 6
I reach unknown land 25: A gentle, sandy shoreline (growth)

First it is the smell: A salty tang in the air, clean and sharp. Then the sound, a gentle, constant sussuration pulsing pleasantly through the air. Finally, I crest a dune strewn with hardy plantlife to behold an endless body of water, crystal-clear blue waters washing up against a vast, golden expanse of sand, endlessly built up in the wash.

What past has this place put behind itself?

Grains of sand, each of them once part of something bigger. Vast swathes of them, glittering in the dappled sunlight. Each too small to be individually perceived, but each one calling out, 'I was once a mountain'.

What do you remember of this place?

I have never been here before, never been anywhere truly like this, used to the silty waterways and rocky coasts of the city so far away. It earns a place in my memory anew, should ever I venture to similar coasts.

Possessions: an embroidered sash made and gifted by my twin.
Growth: 2

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 26

quote:

2d6k1 allegra = (6+ 5 ) = 6
I reach the Caravan

The ride gets ever longer, but the reunions ever more joyful. Colourful plumes of alchemical smoke rising high into the air greet me on the horizon and rise high into the air, and that alone is enough to bring a smile to my face as my thoughts turn to the Prince's alchemist, as staunch a partisan as we who brave the roads, and those who guard the caravan. Speaking of the guards, Dorigo and Esteban are keeping watch on the cityward approach, or at least Esteban is. Dorigo is in heated but good-hearted debate with Vitaliano the quartermaster. I raise my hand in salute to all three as I go past, my princely credential clear for them to do their duty. The bright sunlight glints from the fittings on the Prince's massive wagon, taking the breath away even after having seen such sights in my time of service. I secure my horse as per usual, and come aboard.

I report on the response to the order he gave as my boon, and the consequences thereof. He seems pleased, in a slightly absent way, but interrupts me as is his prerogative to declaim,

UnCO3 as the Prince posted:

"Bury a city for me. Any will do."

Confounded by the magnitude of the task, I simply voice my assent and continue. I hand over the remainder of the correspondence, and something makes him frown slightly. He states,

Tyrannosaurus as the Prince posted:

"I require one of your dreams."

I ponder this for a moment and reply,

"Immediately, my liege. I have long dreamed of mastering the Orichalcum Blade Tournament, triumphing over all-comers through my skill with a blade. Fantasies of it entertain me in moments of rest, imagining the fights against the champions and challengers, considering how it might feel to win the prize, the faces of my kin in the city... Of, and I say this with chagrin for it sounds like fluff and flattery but is true to my dream, dedicating the win to you, my Lord, that the glory won might shine on your good name."

This seems to satisfy him. I attend as he adds a couple of fresh missives to the burden it is my privilege to convey, before being sent on my way, heading for the commissary once I have secured everything.

How in all the world am I going to bury a city for him?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 27

quote:

2d6k1 Allegra = (6+ 1 ) = 6
I arrive at the 22nd unknown land, a Wavering Desert Mirage.

The heat from above is intense, and all around me is the hazy shimmer of it reflecting from the ground. It is as if I am adrift upon a vasty sea, nothing real, everything ephemeral. I imagine I see the city, the caravan, my family, all of it just trickery, reflections of my mind radiating out where I can make no sense of what lies around.

What is the most beautiful thing here?

There is much that my imagination paints upon the shimmer. My Prince, whose visage fills me with pride. My family, who warm me far more gently than the baking rays from above. The city, home and origin. The caravan, where fellow-travellers reside. My fellow riders, my comrades, and perhaps so much more. In my mind's eye I see Nevio called Cicalone, and my soul basks in delight.

Who embodies this place?

The one passing through these refractions of the mind. The source of the imagined figures in the shimmer. The one who lends bodies of memory to reflected heat distortions. I do, at least for my passage through.

Illusion: 2

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 28

quote:

2d6k1 Allegra = ( 6 +6) = 6
I arrive at a carnivorous causeway of volcanic teeth

The refreshing ocean breeze, even carrying with it the pungent scent of fish, is a pleasant enough respite in my travels. I approach the edge of a cliff and see a vista of basalt, tended by bell-jangling fishers plucking the bounty of the sea washed up on the hexagonal pillars. I raise a hand in friendly greeting, and back away from the cliff, content to leave the locals to their task. I have victuals enough to tide me over without sharing of their livelihood.

quote:

1d6 clarity = (2) = 2
What does this place need?

I contemplate the edge of the cliff. A different, softer sort of rock in contrast to the tessellating spectacle below. Would a guard rail be of use along the top lest the careless traveller risk a fall? Probably, probably. But I take my musing with me as I depart on the morrow, unshared.

Decay: 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Allegra
Turn 29

quote:

2d6k1 Allegra = ( 1 +4) = 4
I arrive at the Twelfth land, the barren ruins of a hated city
2d6k1 Severance = (5+ 2 ) = 5
A significant change

I swear, sometimes our great prince is prescient. A long-lost, long-abandoned city, devoid of people, devoid of life. Dead, the husk, the shell of a civilisation. Some vandal was here recently, time-worn sculptures showing the ruination of a callous hand, new clefts in the stone stark against the timeworn surrounds. What brute could take pleasure in such a thing, or commit the time to the act?

It is clear that some bitter soul weighed a brief, personal war here, assaulting the defenceless civic corpse, defiling, desecrating. So, I go about the ruins, gather up a slab, a pillar, and assemble a memorial stele by where the gate once stood. I spend hours carving a few words into it, a paean to those that lived here once. Some would have been good, some ill, for that is the way of all people. I laid them all to rest with my words, hallowed and consecrated the remnants of their dwelling-place. I spake lamentations for them, and sprinkled a handful of black loam atop the memorial I had made.

I could now tell my Prince I had buried a city for him.

As an Inviolate Representative of the Prince, I change this land, hated to hallowed.

Decay: 3