Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Shaman is a good support skillset but it's really hard to love compared to how silly powerful sorcery is in DF comparatively (same with Qi, which I recall taking a massive investment just to be sort of functional). Spell slots are probably a bigger issue than karma to mix and match them though.

Grapplejack posted:

As an aside, I personally think the reason that Harebrained doesn't have Calfree in any of their games is because Calfree is honestly kind of boring; it's a really, really standard cyberpunk zone. Germany / Seattle / HK are all weird and not touched upon as much so I think they opted for those cities for uniqueness' sake.

It's going to be interesting to see if they ever do another game which city they pick; of the big ones (ignoring Chicago), if it's a new city Tokyo, NYC and San Fran all have the same issue (typical cyberpunk metros) but I'm not sure it's purely a con; of course they could do something oddball like Rio Paulo.

Also an Antumbra ----> Calfree in Chains megacampaign is cool to see Cirion's evolution over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

NewMars posted:

Ooh, this does look good. Are there any other good mod campaigns out there?

Mercurial gets pretty high praise (as do all of Cirion's post Antumbra mods). The DMS port for Hong Kong is an okay retread but doesn't add much (companions, two runs which are nice but don't really fix DMS' main issue) and is kinda janky. Besides Mercurial there's a bunch that seem promising from their reception but that I'm not sure how recommendable they really are.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 22, 2019

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Shaman, so that Baseba'al graces Kami with teammates (and you can never have too many etiquettes)

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Re Shaman being mainly support, the main benefit of Shaman is that it ties into an attribute you'll likely end up raising except on a niche build and shrine summons pre HK became something ridiculous at Summoning 5 - for actual combat it's probably still not a bad idea to raise something else though, fair.

Mods on the nexus will work with any version, sadly the mods on the workshop aren't all on nexus and I bought on gog so I'm not sure there's even a non Workshop version of Mercurial

However all of Cirion's stuff is on nexus thankfully

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

wiegieman posted:

There is also a sequel to the Antumbra series.

Two for Hong Kong actually; Caldecott Caper and Calfree in Chains both tie into it although Caldecott is a more personal story

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
In theory you could but I think Antumbra's equipment is pretty much just using the base game's assets and stats (that's still moddable)

I'm not sure DF supported foci yet so probably no way to make a magic bat.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Radio Free Kobold posted:

so what you're saying is, this one conversation in the introduction to a fan-mod isn't totally lore-friendly? :thunk:

FWIW the returns games have been doing a fairly good job of low key rebooting the setting in places in ways the guys in charge of the tabletop line wish they could write. poo poo's mostly sticking to lore but with minute deviations (although the biggest deviation has been allowing people to make mundane archetypes without needing a 0.1%-grade net worth)

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I feel like a scenario like that on tabletop would trip a lot more players,, if only because a lot of people would take for granted that Kali would betray you about five minutes after you're rid of the Johnson; I appreciate that Cirion actually didn't do the most hackneyed plot twist in the genre.

e

Although any Johnson who pulled the "surprise you were working for X all along" would probably eat a bullet right then and there.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 6, 2019

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Oh yeah, Antumbra was just cirion getting the hang of the mod tools, things get gradually longer.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Storm Front and War are also post CGL financial shenanigans (although War had worse problems than just bad writing) so it's cool to pretend neither exists.

Also like Aztechnology is all over the place and tends to get used really, really badly by the writers as omnicompetent opponents so long as they're not facing one of the writers' pet psychopaths. It's a pity shadows of Latin America was never officially published since it's the one book across 5 editions that comes close to making sense of Aztechnology in general without treating them as omnipotent eldritch horror enthusiasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

wiegieman posted:

Everyone knows about the blood magic, and Aztechnology isn't afraid of the dragons.

The blood magic awareness is still mostly at the conspiracy level in-world, it's not like, generalized public knowledge; in terms of potential bad PR, being Nestle 2.0 (the og Nestle belongs to a second-tier german mega that's about as scummy as you'd expect from a merger of Nestle and Bayer) and that ORO basically runs the entire electoral system from Colombia to Mexico are probably more common public knowledge. Also like Aztechnology's plot invincibility mostly came about because they really needed a way to wrap poo poo up and apparently making the company whose entire business is media shockingly bad at media sounded good to the crop of geniuses who publish the tabletop.