Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Man that scene of him loving over his lancer sidekick still bums me out.

Still not sure why from there we get to the dancing boys rather than hypothetical dancing girls though

Girls are more valuable because they can give you kids, and to survive in rural Afghanistan, you need a lot of kids. If you gently caress a boy, you're not risking his chances of safely delivering the next generation of farmers and warriors (plus a few children extra because the child mortality rate is stupid-high).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Still not sure why from there we get to the dancing boys rather than hypothetical dancing girls though

Because men protect the 'honour' of their daughters, whose virginity is a valuable asset for them to sell, but boys are expected to fend for themselves and if they're weak enough to be raped then that's their problem.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

Because men protect the 'honour' of their daughters, whose virginity is a valuable asset for them to sell, but boys are expected to fend for themselves and if they're weak enough to be raped then that's their problem.

Darth Walrus posted:

Girls are more valuable because they can give you kids, and to survive in rural Afghanistan, you need a lot of kids. If you gently caress a boy, you're not risking his chances of safely delivering the next generation of farmers and warriors (plus a few children extra because the child mortality rate is stupid-high).

Okay these seem to make sense to my stupid mind but man that's pretty grim.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Afghanistan is a pretty grim place.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 22, 2019

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

StashAugustine posted:

The whole retreat sequence is just way too depressing to be funny

I think the writing is incredible - it so clearly depicts the chaos and confusion and the way that the attacks weren't some kind of strategic planned offensive but instead a bunch of escalating events as the Afghanis worked themselves up into more and more violence. It emphasizes how utterly banal the whole thing was and doesn't really try to tell some overarching story.

It's to me one of the best illustrations about one of the best things about this series - the juxtaposition of colonial-era heroic tropes with deadpan journalistic coverage of history.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

For the past several updates, Fraser has been quietly ratcheting up the suspense. We know, as his audience in the 60s and 70s would have done, that what’s about to happen is one of Britain’s worst military defeats in around 400 years of screwing around with other peoples’ countries. But what Fraser brings to the telling – and what makes the Flashman stories good historical novels in their own right, quite aside from the unusual choice of a villain for a protagonist – is his journalist’s flair for evocative detail.

As The Rat mentioned above, Afghanistan is a grim place. In the next update, we’ll see exactly how grim.

First, though, time for more important things – Flashman’s ego.

quote:

Any excitement that the affair at Mogala might have caused in Kabul when we got back and told our tale was overshadowed by the arrival on the same day of the new army commander, General Elphinstone, my chief and sponsor. I was piqued at the time, for I thought I had done pretty well, and was annoyed to find that no one thought my skirmish with the Gilzais and securing of hostages worth more than a cocked eyebrow and an “Oh, really?”

But looking back, I can say that, all unwittingly, Kabul and the army were right to regard Elphy’s arrival as an incident of the greatest significance. It opened a new chapter: it was a prelude to events that rang round the world. Elphy, ably assisted by McNaghten, was about to reach the peak of his career; he was going to produce the most shameful, ridiculous disaster in British military history.

Lest we should doubt his credentials on this topic, Flashman quickly reassures us. He’s so entertaining when he’s putting the boot in.

quote:

Let me say that when I talk of disaster, I speak with authority. I have served at Balaclava, Cawnpore and Little Big Horn. Name the biggest born fools who wore uniform in the nineteenth century – Cardigan, Sale, Custer, Raglan, Lucan – I knew them all. Think of all the conceivable misfortunes that can arise from combinations of folly, cowardice and sheer bad luck, and I’ll give you chapter and verse. But I still state unhesitatingly, that for pure, vacillating stupidity, for superb ignorance to command, for ignorance combined with bad judgment – in short, for the true talent for catastrophe – Elphy Bey stood alone. Others abide our question, but Elphy outshines them all as the greatest military idiot of our own or any other day.

Only he could have permitted the First Afghan War and let it develop to such a ruinous defeat. It was not easy: he started with a good army, a secure position, some excellent officers, a disorganised enemy, and repeated opportunities to save the situation. But Elphy, with the touch of true genius, swept aside these obstacles with unerring precision, and out of order wrought complete chaos. We shall not, with luck, look upon his like again.

Celebrations are held throughout Kabul to welcome the new commander, who is broadly popular within the British community, although Burnes shares some of his reservations with Flashman – who is mildly offended by the slight on his patron, but comes around when he observes how frail the General is, thinking sardonically that “being about Elphy was like being an orderly in a medical ward.” For the time being, normal life continues for the British – McNaghten is sniffy about the mission Flashman carried out and continues to feud with Burnes.

What worries Flashman, though, is the fact that the British cantonment, where the troops were garrisoned with their families, was hard to defend. The actual defensible position, the giant fortress of Bala Hissar, is reserved for shah Sujah and his own household troops, so the cantonment is located on the outskirts of Kabul. Unfortunately, the key officers are spread out all over the city – Burnes himself is in a building two miles away in the centre of Kabul - and the food stores are outside the base. So with these concerns in mind, Flashman is receptive when Burnes decides to utilise him again for political work, and spends several weeks traveling the back country carrying diplomatic messages back and forth, meeting the local power-brokers and generally getting to know the country and language. Sensibly, he travels with Ilderim and the Gilzais where possible. His clear-sightedness is also on display – whereas other soldiers “sneered at ‘young pups gadding about the hills playing at natives’, he develops a much better sense of what’s really going on - and what he sees worries him, a lot.

quote:

There was mischief brewing in the hills, among the wild tribes who didn’t want Shah Sujah for their king, and hated the British bayonets that protected him in his isolation in the Bala Hissar fortress. Rumours grew that Akbar Khan, son of old Dost Mohammed whom we had deposed, had come down out of the Hindu Kush at last and was gathering support among the chiefs; he was the darling of the warrior clans, they said, and presently he would sweep down on Kabul with his hordes, fling Sujah from his throne, and either drive the feringhees back to India or slaughter them all in their cantonment.

It was easy, if you were McNaghten, to scoff at such rumours from your pleasantly furnished office in Kabul; it was something else again to be up on the ridges beyond Jugdulluk or down towards Ghuznee and hear of councils called and messengers riding, of armed assemblies harangued by holy men and signal fires lit along the passes. The covert smiles, the ready assurances, the sight of swaggering Ghazis, armed to the teeth and with nothing apparent to do, the growing sense of unease – it used to make the hairs crawl out of my neck.

Still, so long as the money is flowing to the hill tribes, the peace holds, and Flashman can continue his happy life having nice dinners and going whoring in the bazaar with Burnes.

After all, nobody would be stupid enough to put a few pounds of cash ahead of the security of the most dangerous place in the British Empire, right?

Oh. Oh!

quote:

One bright day McNaghten got a letter from Calcutta complaining at the cost of keeping our army in Kabul, and looked about for economies to make…he recalled the idea which had appalled General Nott, and decided to cut the Gilzais’ subsidy.

gently caress.

As the Gilzai chiefs are told that their subsidy is being slashed nearly in half, Ilderim warns Flashman that no good will come of it.

quote:

“There will be trouble, Flashman huzoor. He would have been better offering pork to a Ghazi than cheat the Gilzais of their money.”

He was right, of course: he knew his own people. The Gilzai chiefs smiled cheerfully when McNaghten delivered his decision, bade him good afternoon, and rode quietly out of Kabul – and three days later, the munitions convoy from Peshawar was cut to ribbons in the Khoord-Kabul pass by a force of yelling Gilzais and Ghazis who looted the caravan, butchered the drivers, and made off with a couple of tons of powder and ball.

This annoys McNaghten but he’s not smart enough to be worried, and makes another genius-brain decision: he’ll send two of the battalions from the Army of the Indus back to India under General “Fighting Bob” Sale and have them punish the Gilzais en route.

This doesn’t go quite as planned.

quote:

It was a shocking experience the first time. I set off thinking it was something of a joy-ride, which it was until the last half-mile into Sale’s rearguard, which was George Broadfoot’s camp beyond Jugdulluk. Everything had been peaceful as you please, and I was just thinking how greatly exaggerated had been the reports arriving in Kabul from Sale, when out of a side-nullah came a mounted party of Ghazis, howling like wolves and brandishing their knives.

I just clapped in my spurs, put my head down, and cut along the track as if all the fiends in hell were behind me – which they were. I tumbled into Broadfoot’s camp half-dead with terror, which he fortunately mistook for exhaustion. George had the bad taste to find it all rather funny; he was one of those nerveless clods, and was in the habit of strolling about under the snipers’ fire polishing his spectacles, although his red coat and even redder beard made him a marked man.

He seemed to think everyone else was as unconcerned as he was, too, for he sent me back to Kabul that same night with another note, in which he told Burnes flatly that there wasn’t a hope of keeping the passes open by force; they would have to negotiate with the Gilzais. I backed this up vehemently to Burnes, for although I had had a clear run back to Kabul, it was obvious to me that the Gilzais meant business, and at all the way stations there had been reports of other tribesmen massing in the hills above the passes.

The British are discovering that the Gilzais are not just an undisciplined horde, but are excellent shots – worse, significantly better than the trained British and Indian soldiers are. Sale’s force is holding its own on the way back to India, but is in no condition to go on an offensive.

Irony strikes, as giving an honest report of the situation causes Burnes and the rest of the British leadership to start to view Flashman as a coward, something his genuine cravenness had so far failed to do. A couple of weeks later, Burnes sends him off with another letter to Sale. Flashman sets off with his own honour guard of Gilzais and Ilderim in tow, and quickly realises that there is no way through to Sale – the hills are full of angry Afghans who are now talking about a Jihad, and it’s looking like Sale’s force will be butchered. Pragmatically, he hands the letter on to Ilderim – who as a Gilzai himself and someone with a local Gilzai patron, is far more likely to survive if captured – to deliver to Sale.

Flashman rides back to a very different Kabul. He arrives just as night is falling.

quote:

I never saw the place so quiet. Bala Hissar loomed over the deserted streets; the few folk who were about were grouped in little knots in doorways and at street corners; there was an air of doom over the whole place. No British soldiers were to be seen in the city itself, and I was glad to get to the Residency, where Burnes lived in the heart of the town, and hear the courtyard gates grind to behind me. The armed men of Burnes’s personal guard were standing to in the yard, while others were posted on the Residency walls; the torches shone on belt-plates and bayonets, and the place looked as though it was getting ready to withstand a siege.

Just a quick note on geography here, as it will be relevant soon enough.

The strongest defensive position in Kabul is the fortress of Bala Hissar. Shah Sujah is there with his own troops.

The British army, together with Elphinstone and most of the British community (including wives and children) lives in the Cantonment, a couple of miles outside Kabul.

Burnes, together with his younger brother Charlie, is based in the Residency.

I can’t find any maps or pictures of the Residency as it was at this time – there is a nice photograph online of the later residency that was built into the sides of Bala Hissar if you search a bit, but imagine a large townhouse with a low curtain wall and a second storey.

Burnes seems calm despite all the forbidding omens, but is not at all pleased to see Flashman, and is horrified to learn that he entrusted the letter to Sale to a – gasp - native! He proceeds to unload on Flashman: this is dereliction of duty, shameful, not what’s expected of a British officer, and so on.

He avoids using the word ‘cowardice’, incidentally, because that was a Really Big Deal among British officers in the 19th century (and probably slanderous for him to have said without proof). I think we have a couple of military types reading along, and I’d be fascinated to know whether it’s still a career-ending accusation now, but as we saw when Flashman was in England, to be accused of cowardice and not fight a duel wouldn’t just end your career prospects, but potentially have you hauled up before a court-martial – which is exactly what Burnes begins to threaten him with. Burnes also lets slip that he’s had death threats, and that Akbar Khan himself is in Kabul, and means no harm to the British.

quote:

I went, in a rare rage at the self-sufficient folly of the man, and heartily hoping that he would trip over his own conceit. Always so clever, always so sure – that was Burnes. I would have given a pension to see him at a loss for once.

But I was to see it for nothing.

I really want to quote the rest of this chapter in full, because it is an amazing piece of action writing. Instead, I’ll just recommend that you buy and read it for yourself, because it’s just that good.

Note for the below; Burnes is often called ‘Sekundar’, as that’s the Afghan version of ‘Alexander

quote:

It came suddenly, just before breakfast-time, when I was rubbing my eyes after a pretty sleepless night which had dragged itself away very slowly, and very silently for Kabul. It was a grey morning, and the cocks were crowing; suddenly I became aware of a distant murmur, growing to a rumble, and hurried to the window. The town lay still, with a little haze over the houses; the guards were still on the wall of the residency compound, and in the distance, coming closer, the noise was identifiable as the tramping of feet and the growing clamour of a mob.

There was a shouted order in the courtyard, a clatter of feet on the stairs, and Burnes’s voice calling for his brother, young Charlie, who lived in the Residency with him. I snatched my robe from its peg and hurried down, winding my puggaree on to my head as I went.

In case it’s not obvious, Flashman has been wearing Afghan tribal dress while he has been doing his political work, not a big red British Army uniform.

quote:

As I reached the courtyard there was the crash of a musket shot, and a wild yell from beyond the wall; a volley of blows hammered on the gate, and across the top of the wall I saw the vanguard of a charging horde streaming out from between the nearest houses. Bearded faces, flashing knives, they surged up to the wall and fell back, yelling and cursing, while the guards thrust at them with their musket butts. For a moment I thought they would charge again and sweep irresistibly over the wall, but they hung back, a jostling, shrieking crowd, shaking their fists and weapons, while the guardsmen lining the wall looked anxiously back for orders and kept their thumbs poised on their musket-locks.

For all of my lifetime (1980-date), the West has had a general sympathy for crowds and protestors that is historically unusual; for most of recorded history, countries have had rules preventing large groups from assembling. Our assumption that it is a basic human right to take part in protests, and the fact that peaceful protests are a normal part of life in most western countries (people often bring their children to them), can obscure how terrifying it can be to be facing down an angry crowd.

I currently live in China, lately in Hong Kong, where we’re about two months into a series of protests. What has struck me in our recent civil disturbances is that any protest, even a peaceful one, rests on an implied threat: “do what we want, or violence happens, and there’s more of us than there are of you”. In most cases, if pushed far enough, the threat is shown to be empty: push a state far enough and it will enforce its monopoly on violence.

But what happens when it’s not clear if the state actually can enforce that monopoly? Something like what’s happening in Kabul in this section.

Burnes, bless him, tries to talk the crowd down in Pushtu. He gets some way, but then starts patronising them and being too impressed with his own cleverness, and only makes things worse. Someone in the crowd fires off a jezzail, and the crowd is spurred to try again to storm the walls – and succeeds, overrunning the walls and taking the fight to the courtyard.

As Burnes, Flashman and the other VIPs retreat towards the central building, slamming the doors in the face of their pursuers and barring them from the inside, Flashman hears a couple of disciplined volleys in the courtyard and works out that the guards from the wall have survived to get into the building.

quote:

Little bloody odds it would make, I thought; they had us cornered, and it was a case of having our throats cut now or later.

Burnes is unfazed, calmly noting that they have around twenty fighting men (a group from which he may be excluding Flashman), and orders the guard up to the balconies to shoot down. This has some initial success, and Burnes reassures everyone that Elphy will send a battalion down soon enough, as he will have heard the sounds of battle.

No troops come. An hour passes, more, and Burnes’s composure (“shoot the thin ones, Flashy; that chap couldn’t have got in the front door anyway”) begins to crack. As the ammunition runs out, Burnes decides to run for it; the few of them not in native clothes get changed, and then they bolt out a passage to the kitchen. Once they’re outside, Burnes thinks quickly, telling Flashman to shut the door behind them.

quote:

“Now, try to batter the damned thing down!” And he jumped at the closed door, hammering with his fists. “Open, unbelieving swine!” he bawled. “Feringhee pigs, your hour has come! This way, brothers! Death to the bastard Sekundar!”

This works, and they are able to slip into the crowd, Burnes shouting occasional insults to himself in good Pushtu as they go. Further away from the residency, the crowds start to thin out behind them, and are less noisy; the cantonment is not far away. Salvation, finally, is at hand.

The next bit deserves quoting in full.

quote:

And then Burnes, the over-confident fool, ruined the whole thing.

We had reached the end of the street, and he must pause to yell another curse against the feringhees, by way of a final brag: I could imagine him showing off later to the garrison wives, telling them how he’d fooled the Afghans by roaring threats against himself. But he overdid it; having called himself the grandson of seventy pariah dogs at the top of his voice, he muttered something in an undertone to Charlie, and laughed at his own witticism.

The trouble is, an Afghan doesn’t laugh like an Englishman. He giggles high-pitched, but Burnes guffawed. I saw a head turn to stare at us, and grabbing Burnes by one arm and Charlie by the other I was starting to hurry them down the street when I was pushed aside and a big brute of a Ghazi swung Burnes round by the shoulder and peered at him.

“Jao, hubshi!” snarled Burnes, and hit his hand aside, but the fellow still stared, and then suddenly shouted:

“Mashallah! Brothers, it is Sekundar Burnes!”

There was an instant’s quiet, and then an almighty yell. The big Ghazi whipped out his Khyber knife, Burnes locked his arm and snapped it before he could strike, but then about a dozen others were rushing in on us. One jumped at me, and I hit him so hard with my first that I overbalanced; I jumped up, clawing for my own sword, and saw Burnes throwing off the wounded Ghazi and shouting:

“Run, Charlie, run!”

There was a side-alley into which Charlie, who was nearest, might have escaped, but he hesitated, standing white-faced, while Burnes jumped between him and the charging Afghans. Sekundar had his Khyber knife out now; he parried a blow from the leader, closed with him, and shouted again:

“Get out, Charlie! Cut, man!”

And then, as Charlie still hesitated, petrified, Burnes yelled in an agonised voice:

“Run, baby, please! Run!”

They were the last words he spoke. A Khyber knife swept down on his shoulder and he reeled back, blood spouting; then the mob was on top of him, hacking and striking. He must have taken half a dozen mortal cuts before he even hit the ground. Charlie gave a frenzied cry, and ran towards him; they cut him down before he had gone three steps.

I saw all this, because it happened in seconds; then I had my own hands full. I jumped over the man I had hit and dived for the alley, but a Ghazi was there first, screaming and slashing at me. I had my own sword out, and turned his cut, but the way was blocked and the mob was howling at my heels. I turned, slashing frantically, and they gave back an instant; I got my back to the nearest wall as they surged in again, the knives flashed before my eyes, I thrust at the snarling faces and heard the screams and curses. And then something hit me a dreadful blow in the stomach and I went down before the rush of bodies; a foot stamped on my hip, and even as I thought; oh, sweet Jesus, this is death, I had one fleeting memory of being trampled in the scrimmage in the School-house match. Something smashed against my head, and I waited for the horrible bite of sharp steel. And then I remember nothing more.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Notahippie posted:

I think the writing is incredible - it so clearly depicts the chaos and confusion and the way that the attacks weren't some kind of strategic planned offensive but instead a bunch of escalating events as the Afghanis worked themselves up into more and more violence. It emphasizes how utterly banal the whole thing was and doesn't really try to tell some overarching story.

It's to me one of the best illustrations about one of the best things about this series - the juxtaposition of colonial-era heroic tropes with deadpan journalistic coverage of history.

Oh yeah it's very good, and there's even some bleakly funny bits in there, but overall its just pretty miserable

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I do enjoy Flashman's little gazpacho soup moment here a great deal; it shows how Fraser's research and insight didn't just extend to historical events.

quote:

and even as I thought; oh, sweet Jesus, this is death, I had one fleeting memory of being trampled in the scrimmage in the School-house match.

This is an only very slightly indirect reference back to the first time Flashman appears in Tom Brown's Schooldays. It's also a fantastic piece of writing from a book that blows hot and cold, so I'm going to indulge myself and post a wall of text. Our hero Brown finds himself, on his first afternoon at Rugby School, playing in the critically important School-house football match, in which the sixty boys who board in the School-house (including Brown, Flashman, and the captain Brooke and his younger brother) take on the 120 boys of the rest of the school.

quote:

But now look! there is a slight move forward of the School-house wings, a shout of “Are you ready?” and loud affirmative reply. Old Brooke takes half a dozen quick steps, and away goes the ball spinning towards the School goal, seventy yards before it touches ground, and at no point above twelve or fifteen feet high, a model kick-off; and the School-house cheer and rush on. The ball is returned, and they meet it and drive it back amongst the masses of the School already in motion. Then the two sides close, and you can see nothing for minutes but a swaying crowd of boys, at one point violently agitated. That is where the ball is, and there are the keen players to be met, and the glory and the hard knocks to be got. You hear the dull thud, thud of the ball, and the shouts of “Off your side,” “Down with him,” “Put him over,” “Bravo.” This is what we call “a scrummage,” gentlemen, and the first scrummage in a School-house match was no joke in the consulship of Plancus.

Rugby football at this point is nothing like the organised sport that would begin to emerge a generation later in the 1870s; you kick the ball downfield very hard and then have a gigantic mass pushing match around it, kicking as hard as possible at anything within reach until the ball squirts loose again, someone picks it up and kicks it downfield again, another mob forms around it, and so on. When Scud East introduces the game, he points out "Why, there's been two collar-bones broken this half, and a dozen fellows lamed. And last year a fellow had his leg broken."

quote:

The ball has just fallen again where the two sides are thickest, and they close rapidly around it in a scrummage. It must be driven through now by force or skill, till it flies out on one side or the other. Look how differently the boys face it! Here come two of the bulldogs, bursting through the outsiders; in they go, straight to the heart of the scrummage, bent on driving that ball out on the opposite side. That is what they mean to do. My sons, my sons! you are too hot; you have gone past the ball, and must struggle now right through the scrummage, and get round and back again to your own side, before you can be of any further use. Here comes young Brooke; he goes in as straight as you, but keeps his head, and backs and bends, holding himself still behind the ball, and driving it furiously when he gets the chance. Take a leaf out of his book, you young chargers.

Yes yes, very heroic and manly, but where does Flashman fit into the picture?

quote:

Here comes Speedicut, and Flashman the School-house bully, with shouts and great action. Won't you two come up to young Brooke, after locking-up, by the School-house fire, with “Old fellow, wasn't that just a splendid scrummage by the three trees?” But he knows you, and so do we. You don't really want to drive that ball through that scrummage, chancing all hurt for the glory of the School-house, but to make us think that's what you want—a vastly different thing; and fellows of your kidney will never go through more than the skirts of a scrummage, where it's all push and no kicking. We respect boys who keep out of it, and don't sham going in; but you—we had rather not say what we think of you.

"With shouts and great action" is such a perfectly-chosen phrase. I love it to bits and use it whenever possible. Words cannot do justice to how perfectly it describes the kind of behaviour that Speedicut and Flashman are displaying. It's so great I love it even though trying to visualise that kind of behaviour in any way immediately sets my teeth on edge.

So, er, the point being that, based on this one paragraph from Tom Brown, it makes such complete and total total sense for Flashman to have had a critically formative experience, trampled after falling in the midst of a scrummage in the most important football match of the year (I like to think it was in his first match when he was at his youngest). Whether by uncharacteristic courage or uncharacteristic bad luck at a critical moment, he ended up right in the heart of the action just once, discovered exactly where courage gets you, and swore an immediate and lifelong vow of cowardice. Chapeau.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

But what happens when it’s not clear if the state actually can enforce that monopoly? Something like what’s happening in Kabul in this section.

Of course, the State isn't interested in enforcing its monopoly in this case. That's the Afghan government. These instead are foreign occupiers of Kabul.

Re-reading this passage reminds me quite a lot of how Vilerat died, incidentally, for those of you who've read the details. :(

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
A great write up of one of the most exciting bits of the books. An interesting contrast is with a similar event at the British Embassy in Afghanistan during the 2nd Afghan War, as shown in The Far Pavilions.

Ceiling fan posted:

There was a surprisingly good screen adaptation of Royal Flash.

I am not a fan of it. They chose one of the more comedic books and leant heavily into slapstick comedy. Fine, but not much to my taste and it fails to touch any of the meatier, more dramatic historical strengths of the series. (Such as the 1st Afghan War sequences above and soon to come).

I personally though McDowell was badly miscast as Flashman, who is a big scary looking bloke who can fake being hard. Again, and this is directorial rather than his acting range, he was more buffoon than villain.

I’m sure the film is strong of its type and agree the closing speech is a nice touch. Just interesting how different perspectives can be.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
after watching the boys I can say that Altered Carbon Guy would play a really good flashman

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
How does the rest of the series stack up to the first one? I just finished book 1 and enjoyed it but it's a little bit exhausting to read because he is just such a bastard. I don't see how it can not get repetitive.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They're pretty consistent-- I've heard some of the later volumes are worse, but I haven't gotten to them yet. I've read four, but I spaced them out over a few years, and I think that was for the best.

If it affects your decision, the second book is more of a lighthearted farce, and Flash just survives it, instead of being hugely rewarded.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

OctaviusBeaver posted:

How does the rest of the series stack up to the first one? I just finished book 1 and enjoyed it but it's a little bit exhausting to read because he is just such a bastard. I don't see how it can not get repetitive.

I thought they stack up pretty well. I actually found the first two to be the ones I enjoyed the least.

While there are definitely certain plot beats that you come to expect, the different historical scenarios and the skill with which Fraser weaves Flashman's antics in to the real events kept me hooked.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OctaviusBeaver posted:

He's generally a lot less of a bastard (as opposed to a coward) in the later books, except to people who had it coming. What aspect of repetition worries you?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

What carries the series is the action scenes, which Fraser writes very well, the amusing character sketches, and watching Flashman duck and weave his way out of all the trouble his vices get him into. If it was a constant parade of shittiness with no let-up then it would probably be unreadable, I agree. The fact that Flashman gets a lot of personal come-uppance as well helps too.

I’m moving countries this week so may be a bit slower with updates for a while. Next episode will have some of that come-uppance I was talking about...

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I've been tremendously enjoying this thread and I'm looking forward to the next instalment

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

What carries the series is the action scenes, which Fraser writes very well, the amusing character sketches, and watching Flashman duck and weave his way out of all the trouble his vices get him into. If it was a constant parade of shittiness with no let-up then it would probably be unreadable, I agree. The fact that Flashman gets a lot of personal come-uppance as well helps too.

I’m moving countries this week so may be a bit slower with updates for a while. Next episode will have some of that come-uppance I was talking about...

what i've always loved is the way gmf manages to squeeze flashman into the background and seedy backroom of history. the period is one of grand adventure and geo politics and his adventures are often stolen from real people.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

I've not seen it mentioned on this thread, but my apologies if I have missed it.

George Macdonald Fraser wrote a memoir of his time in Burma fighting the Japanese in WWII called 'Quartered safe out here'. The title is a quote from the first stanza of the Rudyard Kipling poem 'Gunga Din', which is quoted at the start of the book:

'You may talk o’ gin and beer
When you’re quartered safe out ’ere,
An’ you’re sent to penny-fights an’ Aldershot it;
But when it comes to slaughter
You will do your work on water,
An’ you’ll lick the bloomin’ boots of ’im that’s got it.'

It's an excellent memoir, and Fraser paints a great picture of what the jungle was like.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Dog Pipes posted:

I've not seen it mentioned on this thread, but my apologies if I have missed it.

George Macdonald Fraser wrote a memoir of his time in Burma fighting the Japanese in WWII called 'Quartered safe out here'. The title is a quote from the first stanza of the Rudyard Kipling poem 'Gunga Din', which is quoted at the start of the book:

'You may talk o’ gin and beer
When you’re quartered safe out ’ere,
An’ you’re sent to penny-fights an’ Aldershot it;
But when it comes to slaughter
You will do your work on water,
An’ you’ll lick the bloomin’ boots of ’im that’s got it.'

It's an excellent memoir, and Fraser paints a great picture of what the jungle was like.

Yeah, Quartered Safe Out Here is a good read. Besides the vivid jungle descriptions, what I most remember is Fraser acknowledging that his war experiences left him with a lifelong hatred of the Japanese, to the point where he still felt angry and sick if he so much as saw a Japanese person on TV.

I can also recommend Black Ajax, his novel based on the life of an ex-slave boxer in the early eighteen-hundreds. (Flashman's dad shows up briefly!) His The Pyrates is a lot of fun too.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Selachian posted:

Yeah, Quartered Safe Out Here is a good read. Besides the vivid jungle descriptions, what I most remember is Fraser acknowledging that his war experiences left him with a lifelong hatred of the Japanese, to the point where he still felt angry and sick if he so much as saw a Japanese person on TV.

It's quite visceral in places. When he's a stupid newbie out in Burma, one of the more experienced soldiers stops him from going down into a dried out river bed after hearing a noise. The soldier tells him that he'll be killed by a trap (an IED, or a covered hole with human poo poo-smeared spikes made from bamboo at the bottom) and he should die his own death, in his own way, and not to be tricked into dying the way the Japanese wanted him to die. As the OP alludes to, imagine being taught that lesson at nineteen years old.

I just went to look for my copy of it, and realised I'd taken it to the charity shop in a recent clear out. Dammit.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Don't leave us hanging, Beefeater! :shobon:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Rat posted:

Don't leave us hanging, Beefeater! :shobon:

the British lose

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yes I know, I was just enjoying the discussion generated :spergin:

On a semi-related note, just watched this trailer and actually knew what it was about due to one of the Flashman books:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HwFGCQwbqs

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I kinda thought I knew the mid-victorian era but the Flashman novels are great at hammering home just how strange and alien the world of the (relatively recent) past is through their careful use of Frazer's meticulous historical research.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I’ve just settled in to a new job in São Paulo, and haven’t had a chance to sit down and get on with it yet, sorry guys! Regular posting should resume in the next couple of days.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yay!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Where we left our – let’s just call him our protagonist – his day had just started off very badly.

It is about to get a lot worse.

quote:

When I came to my senses I was lying on a wooden floor, my cheek against the boards. My head seemed to be opening and shutting with pain, and when I tried to raise it I found that my face was stuck to the boards with my own dried blood, so that I cried out with pain as it pulled free.

Who could possibly have captured him? Well, who do we know who really, really hates Flashman, and isn’t a family member, ex-colleague or in England?

quote:

The first thing I noticed was a pair of boots, of fine yellow leather, on the floor about two yards away; above them were pyjamy trousers and the skirt of a black coat, and then a green sash and two lean hands hooked into it by the thumbs, and above all, a dark, grinning face with pale grey eyes under a spiked helmet. I knew the face, from my visit to Mogala, and even in my confused state I thought: this is bad news. It was my old enemy, Gul Shah.

He sauntered over and kicked me in the ribs. I tried to speak, and the first words that came out, in a hoarse whisper, were: “I’m alive”.

“For the moment,” said Gul Shah. He squatted down beside me, smiling his wolf’s smile. “Tell me, Flashman: what does it feel like to die?”

“What d’ye mean?” I managed to croak out.

He jerked his thumb. Out in the street yonder: you were down, with the knives at your neck, and only my timely intervention saved you from the same fate as Sekundar Burnes. They cut him to pieces, by the way. Eighty-five pieces, to be exact: they have been counted, you see. But you, Flashman, must have known what it was like to die in that moment. Tell me, I am curious.”

I guessed there was no good coming from these questions; the evil look of the brute made my skin crawl. But I thought it best to answer.

“It was bloody horrible,” says I.

He laughed with his head back, rocking on his heels, and others laughed with him. I realised there were perhaps half a dozen others – Ghazis, mostly – in the room with us. They came crowding round to leer at me, and if anything they looked even nastier than Gul Shah.

When he had finished laughing he leaned over me. “It can be more horrible,” says he, and spat in my face. He reeked of garlic.

Flashman decides it will do him no good at all to look into why exactly he was saved from the massacre, and makes a manful attempt at brazening it out, thanking them for saving him and promising lavish rewards. This does not go down well; Gul Shah has a different kind of compensation in mind.

quote:

Any paying the British do will be in blood.” says Gul Shah. “Yours first of all.”

In addition to being a natty dresser, Gul Shah, it turns out, has a very nice line in frenzied monologues.

quote:

“Why do you suppose I stopped the Ghazis from quartering you?” says he. “To preserve your precious skin, perhaps? To hand you as a peace offering to your people?” He stuck his face into mine. “Have you forgotten a dancing girl called Narreeman, you pig’s bastard? Just another slut, to the likes of you, to be defiled as you chose, and then forgotten. You are all the same, you feringhee swine; you think you can take our women, our country, and our honour and trample them all under foot. We do not matter, do we? And when all is done, when our women are raped and our treasure stolen, you can laugh and shrug your shoulders, you misbegotten pariah curs!” He was screaming at me, with froth on his lips.

This is, of course, a perfectly accurate description of the British presence in Afghanistan!

Fortunately for Harry, Nareeman isn’t there to cut up what remains. He does claim to have meant her no harm – which earns him a well deserved beating – and then gets a good grovel in. Grovelling when he’s in danger, as we’ll see later in the series, is one of Flashman’s signature moves and he really does come across as utterly pathetic.

quote:

“Look,” says I. “Whatever I’ve done, I beg your pardon for it. I didn’t know you cared for the wench, I swear. I’ll make amends, any way you like. I’m a rich man, a really rich man.” I went on to offer him whatever he wanted in ransom and in compensation for the girl, and it seemed to quiet him for a minute.

“Go on,” says he, when I paused. “This is good to listen to.”

Flashman is an experienced enough bully to know when he’s being mocked, and quickly shuts up. After some more insults, Gul Shah orders him dragged into the next room. What follows is another scene that shows Fraser’s excellence in conceiving and executing action sequences.

The room Flashman finds himself in is about twenty feet long, and in the middle there is a trench that runs the full width of the room. Gul Shah asks Flashman if he is strong, and has a servant menace him with a knife until Flashman claims he’s strong enough – at which point, Gul Shah explains how Flashman’s execution will work.

quote:

“It was inspired by the unusual shape of this chamber, with its great trench in the middle, and partly by a foolish game which your British soldiers play. Doubtless you have played it yourself, which will add interest for you, and us. Yah Mansur, come here.”

As he spoke, a grotesque figure waddled into the room. For a moment I could not believe it was a man, for he was no more than four feet high. But he was terrific. He was literally as broad as he was long, with huge knotted arms and a chest like an ape’s. His enormous torso was carried on massive legs. He had no neck that I could see, and his yellow face was as flat as a plate, with a hideous nose spread across it, a slit of a mouth, and two black button eyes. His body was covered in dark hair, but his skull was as smooth as an egg.

Yes, like all good monologuing villains Gul Shah has a freakishly strong, physically repulsive henchman (he's athletic too, and shows off a bit). A sack of lethally poisonous snakes is upended into the trench and the two men are then bound together with rope in the world’s worst game of tug-of-war.

After a few more rounds of Flashman raging and yelling for help and the Afghans laughing merrily at him, the real execution begins.

quote:

I had retreated as far as I could go from the culvert’s edge, and was standing, half-paralysed, when the dwarf snapped his wrists impatiently at the rope. The jerk brought me to my senses; as I have said before, terror is a wonderful stimulant. I braced my boot-heels on the rough stone floor, and prepared to resist with all my strength.

Grinning, the dwarf scuttled backwards until the rope stretched taut between us; I guessed what his first move would be, and was ready for the sudden jerk when it came. It nearly lifted me off my feet, but I turned with the rope across my shoulder and gave him heave for heave. The rope drummed like a bowstring, and then relaxed; he leered across at me and made a dribbling, piping noise. Then he bunched his enormous shoulder muscles, and leaning back, began to pull steadily.

By God, he was strong. I strained until my shoulders cracked and my arms shuddered, but slowly, inch by inch, my heels slithered across the rough surface towards the edge of the trench. The Ghazis urged him on with cries of delight, Gul Shah came to the brink so that he could watch me as I was drawn inexorably to the limit, I felt one of my heels slip into space, my head seemed to be bursting with the effort and my ears roared – and then the tearing pain in my wrists relaxed, and I was sprawled on the very edge, exhausted, with the dwarf prancing and laughing on the other side and the rope slack between us.

Fraser ended up writing Octopussy not long after Flashman was released (the movie went out in 1983 versus 1978 for the first print run of Flashman), and I think it’s interesting how very much this sequence resembles scene from one of Bond films of the 60s or 70s. All the elements are there: a grotesque henchman, certain death, and an impressive villain to watch it all with sadistic glee.

Mansur toys with him for a while, except for a slight stumble when Flashman is unable to muster enough strength to push back with the force the dwarf expects, and moved in for the kill.

quote:

This, I suppose, was the final hideous refinement; I struggled like a fish on a line, but there was no resisting that steady, dreadful pull. I was perhaps ten feet from the lip when he turned away from me, as a tug-of-war team will when it has its opponents on the run, and I realised that if I was to make any last desperate bid it must be now, while I had a little space to play with. I had almost unbalanced him by an accidental yielding; could I do it deliberately? With the last of my strength I dug my heels in and heaved tremendously; it checked him and he glanced over his shoulder, surprise on the hideous face. Then he grinned and exerted his strength, lunging away on the rope. My feet slipped.

“Go with God, Flashman,” said Gul Shah ironically.

I struggled for a foothold, found it only six feet from the edge, and bounded forward. The leap took me to the very lip of the culvert, and the dwarf Mansur plunged forward on his face as the rope slackened. But he was up like a jack-in-the-box, gibbering with rage, in an instant; planting his feet, he gave a savage heave on the rope that almost dislocated my shoulders and flung me face down. Then he began to pull steadily, so that I was dragged forward over the floor, closer and closer to the edge, while the Ghazis cheered and roared and I screamed with horror.

“No! No!” I shrieked. “Stop him! Wait! Anything – I’ll do anything! Stop him!”

Flashman’s miserable begging here is significant. As before, we know how this story goes – the hero is either defiant or coolly indifferent to the prospect of imminent death. Possibly he gets in a couple of cheery quips. Flashman, realistically, does nothing of the sort and bawls like a baby.

I’m actually wondering whether Flashman really is a coward at all, or just a perfectly sane and rational person who happens to have found himself the protagonist of a series of adventure stories.

quote:

My hands were over the edge now, and then by elbows; suddenly there was nothing beneath my face, and through my streaming tears I saw the bottom of the culvert with the filthy worms gliding across it. My chest and shoulders were clear, in an instant I should overbalance; I tried to twist my hand up to appeal to the dwarf, and saw him standing on the far edge, grinning evilly and coiling the slack rope round his right hand and elbow like a washer-woman with a clothes line. He glanced at Gul Shah, preparing to give the final pull that would launch me over, and then above my own frantic babbling and the roaring in my ears I heard the crash of a door flung open behind me, and a stir among the watchers, and a voice upraised in Pushtu.

The dwarf was standing stock-still, staring beyond me towards the door. What he saw I didn’t know, and I didn’t care; half-dead with fear and exhaustion as I was, I recognised that his attention was diverted, that the rope was momentarily slack between us, and that he was on the very lip of the trench. It was my last chance.

I had only the purchase of my body and legs on the stone; my arms were stretched out ahead of me. I jerked them suddenly back, sobbing, with all my strength. It was not much of a pull, but it took Mansur completely unawares. He was watching the doorway, his eyes round in his gargoyle face; too late he realised that he had let his attention wander too soon. The jerk, slight as it was, unbalanced him, and one leg slipped over the edge; he shrieked and tried to throw himself clear, but his grotesque body landed on the very edge, and he hung for a moment like a see-saw. Then with a horrible piping squeal he crashed sprawling into the culvert.

He was up again with a bound, and springing for the rim, but by the grace of God he had landed almost on top of one of those hellish snakes, and even as he came upright it struck at his bare leg. He screamed and kicked at it, and the delay gave a second brute the chance to fix itself in his hand. He lashed out blindly, making a most ghastly din, and staggered about with at least two of the things hanging from him. He ran in his dreadful waddling way in a little circle, and fell forward onto his face. Again and again the serpents struck at him; he tried feebly to rise, and then collapsed, his misshapen body twitching.

You tell me that couldn’t have come straight out of something directed by Cubby R. Broccoli.

In a fury, Gul Shah orders Bond – sorry, Flashman – thrown in with the victim, but there is a sudden intervention.

quote:

A man stood in the doorwary. He was slightly under middle height, with the chest and shoulders of a wrestler, and a small, neat head that he turned from side to side, taking in the scene. He was simply dressed in a grey coat, clasped about with a belt of chain mail, and his head was bare. He wa plainly an Afghan, with something of the pretty look that was so repulsive in Gul Shah, but here the features were stronger and plumper; he carried an air of command, but very easily, without any of the strutting arrogance that so many of his race affected.

The arrival of the stranger is enough to see Flashman pulled back from the brink.

Next week: Things get weird.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

As often happens in a life or death struggle it's the last mistake that decides the issue.

On the strength of this scene I'm going to say that Flashy is no coward. He has his wits about him to the very end and is able to recognize and exploit an opportunity even while literally halfway over the brink of death itself. No coward retains that much presence of mind. He may justly accuse himself of cowardice, after all he knows exactly how terrified he was. But the measure of a coward isn't in units of fear, it's in increments of action. And Flashy could still act.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think he just doesn’t let cowardice get in the way of self preservation.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mllaneza posted:

As often happens in a life or death struggle it's the last mistake that decides the issue.

On the strength of this scene I'm going to say that Flashy is no coward. He has his wits about him to the very end and is able to recognize and exploit an opportunity even while literally halfway over the brink of death itself. No coward retains that much presence of mind. He may justly accuse himself of cowardice, after all he knows exactly how terrified he was. But the measure of a coward isn't in units of fear, it's in increments of action. And Flashy could still act.

Flashman is legitimately physically heroic all through the books, he's just a wanker

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've been reading about the retreat from Kabal and holy poo poo, Flashman wasn't wrong when he says that Elphinstone was the absolute worst choice of a commander for the Afghan expeditionary force.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Now I’m kind of bummed Flashman didn’t die, lol. Oh well, onwards!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Poor henchman dude

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Flashman is kind of an interesting character because he's cruel and a rapist but otherwise he pretty much exhibits every heroic trait at one point or another. Then again he pretty much straight up left his Indian buddy to die without a second thought, and only turned to fight once escape was impossible, so who can say.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

He is never motivated by anything laudable, but that doesn’t stop him from doing traditional action hero things in pursuit of his selfish goals.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah if he does anything heroic, it's either by accident or because he has literally no other choice.

Or the one time he got seduced and drugged into it :catdrugs:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've been reading about the retreat from Kabal and holy poo poo, Flashman wasn't wrong when he says that Elphinstone was the absolute worst choice of a commander for the Afghan expeditionary force.

I didn't know much about the history of Afghanistan and Britain in the 1840s, and I read the first Flashman book this weekend on the strength of this thread. Holy poo poo that got incredibly dark. I don't want to discuss it until the thread gets there, but :stare:

(I actually read the first two books this weekend and I'm halfway through the third. Despite the verisimilitude, they're actually pretty fast reads, although I've read the Aubrey-Maturin series 4 or 5 times over so I'm already used to the way 19th century England worked.)

I wouldn't say Flashman is at all heroic, he's going to cheat or run away from anything resembling a fair fight unless you've literally got a knife to his neck. There's nothing heroic about being cunning enough to win the tug-of-war, it just shows he's clearheaded under pressure. And he's going to use that clear head to run away. e: And jfc this third book.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 25, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Maybe physically competent is a better way to put it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
he's capable of deeds and feats but he's a moral vacuum, yeah