Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Undead Hippo posted:

I always felt like the tone of the first book was very different from the rest of the series. More of a satire, where the rest of the series(and especially the second book) tended towards farce. It also had much darker moments throughout, the first of which with Judy we've already seen. Flashman is a real scumbag in this one, and not at all a lovable one.

It's not just the willingness to go to darker places though. The first book was a barbed critique of the dysfunction of large parts of British Imperialism. It presented an institution ruled by fools, and obsessed with honour and righteousness, that was nevertheless the perfect breeding ground for a confident scoundrel to win acclaim. As we get later and later in the series, the tone drifts from that critique, trending towards outright apologia for Imperialism. I think Fraser ended up being too enamoured of his subject matter.

I think that is a fair point but as a reader who has read them all at least a few times I think that suits the more adventurous stories later. Particularly Royal Flash with it's open Zenda pastiche

I was quite young when I read them and they can be read as straight adventures or as a primer for basically every politically or socially important thing that happened in the British Empire or the US over about 60 years.

I know this first one is where i first heard about the chartist riots for example. Or John Brown in a later book (well that and the CYOA Civil War Secret Agent).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
as it's a pastiche of Prisoner of Zenda it's one of the more filmable ones.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

What carries the series is the action scenes, which Fraser writes very well, the amusing character sketches, and watching Flashman duck and weave his way out of all the trouble his vices get him into. If it was a constant parade of shittiness with no let-up then it would probably be unreadable, I agree. The fact that Flashman gets a lot of personal come-uppance as well helps too.

I’m moving countries this week so may be a bit slower with updates for a while. Next episode will have some of that come-uppance I was talking about...

what i've always loved is the way gmf manages to squeeze flashman into the background and seedy backroom of history. the period is one of grand adventure and geo politics and his adventures are often stolen from real people.