Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

I was about to call out, but to my astonishment Sher Kahn suddenly stooped beside me, there was a metallic snap, and he had a fetter clasped round my left leg. Before I could even protest, he was thrusting me towards a horse, snarling: "Up, husoor!" and I was no sooner in the saddle than he had passed a short ha in from my fetter under the beast's belly, and secured my other ankle, so that I was effectively shackled to the pony.

Oh, Flashy... the other shoe's been there just waiting to drop for so long and if you'd only stop thinking with your dick for two seconds you'd look up and notice it.

But let's face it: we're all waiting for the next time he gets hosed over. Let's see what the world (well, Fraser) does to him this time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Yeah with lbw the idea is that the only legitimate thing to defend your wicket stumps with is your bat.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underarm_bowling_incident_of_1981 for another incident of cricketing perfidy for which our criminal cousins are still infamous

Let's not forget bodyline bowling, the cricket equivalent of "if thou canst not taketh the ball, taketh the man".

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Oh man, Aggers and Johnners on TMS. Absolute classic.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Arbite posted:

Ahhh! Who? I feel like there should be enough clues to figure out which duke if GMF had a historical one in mind. Is there anywhere with a roster of peers for 1842?

As I feel I haven't really contributed to the thread yet, I spent some time on Wikipedia looking at the holders of various Ducal titles contemporaneous for 1842. While there's nothing that really nails it down (and I get the feeling it's probably just a stereotype of an old Duke), there is one possible candidate that might have some link:

Henry Somerset, 7th Duke of Beaufort, was roughly the right age (50) and had roughly the right career for the Duke's character. Interestingly, he also shows up in Black Ajax, a historical novel by GMF that features Flashy's dad, Buck Flashman, as a major character (though at the time of that . Should be noted though that Black Ajax isn't part of the main Flashman series, I just thought it was an interesting note.