Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think he just doesn’t let cowardice get in the way of self preservation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

aphid_licker posted:

Okay it seems p obvious how this ends, good ol Flashy found grasping the flag by the relieving British, with everyone else dead. Ain't that a bummer.

Spoiler alert plz

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In case anyone was wondering about The Thin Red Line, I saw this photo that alleges to be some 72nd Highlanders who would have served in Crimea. Note that those coats are fire-engine red.

https://imgur.com/gallery/oWFlauR

Not to be hosed with IMO.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Flashman motorboat go brrrrrrrrr

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure the footnotes are supposed to be Fraser's.

He does mention that he thinks that the some of the manuscripts were edited by an unknown descendant to censor swear words or to try to make Flashman not look as bad.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Next part is my favorite part.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Genghis Cohen posted:

I thought that bit was fairly simple - Maturin, sent in to bat for his ship's side, has completely misunderstood Aubrey's explanation of the rules. He runs out to catch the ball with his hurling bat, dribbles forward and knocks down the other batsman's wicket. It's as if (in football, aka soccer) a midfielder had got possession of the ball, sprinted toward his own team's goal and scored an own goal.

I don't think there's much detailed knowledge of hurling required, it's more that Maturin didn't follow which team was supposed to guard the wickets.

Just picture Maturin joining a pickup basketball game then immediately drop-kicking the ball over the backboard and declaring victory.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am always sad that we will never get to read about what Flashman got up to during the Civil War. I think all we know is that he fought for both sides, and was liked by both Lee and Grant.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is my favorite reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: @ "Saxon in the woodpile"