Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Everything I know about 19th century British history, I learned from the Flashman books. It's also appropriate that I read them after having worked with British ex-military guys while contracting in Iraq. Prior to that, I had the usual American notion that Brits were all stiff upper lip and the like. Having actually worked with them, I can now find Flashman to be an entirely plausible character.

Side note, the audiobook versions are pretty great. The narrators I've heard do a really great job of making Flashman sound like a pathetic wretch when he gets into a bind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Beefeater1980 posted:

In other words, Flashman genuinely understands privilege, and is actively engaged in a quest to get and keep as much as he can, over as many people as possible. This makes him clear sighted in a way his “morally superior” contemporaries are not. I believe this is intentional on Fraser’s part: the satire here is that Flashman is an honest villain (at least when he is talking to the audience), whereas the ruling class and polite society, who tell themselves that everything is the way it is because that’s the natural way of things, are hypocrites.

We’ll see a lot more of this later.

Good explanation, I noticed this a lot in Flashman in the Great Game especially, but wasn't able to really articulate it. That was actually one of the few books where his immoral actions (apart from the usual lechery) are much less pronounced. It seemed like there was a lot more commentary on the grim realities of colonialism and the mutiny as a result.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

He's not as much of an overt POS in the later books, if that's any consolation.

I did really enjoy the descriptions of the Afghan landscape. Read the first book about a year before I got there and it seemed pretty spot on.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah I phrased it too quickly when I was phone posting earlier. When I say less of an overt piece of poo poo in the later books, I don't mean that he's any less of an immoral turd. It's more that a lot of the time, it's less an example of Flashman being a standout piece of poo poo like when he rapes Nareeman later in book one, and more to illustrate an example of how lovely the common level of morality was at the time. Like your example of the slave ship, or his later work as a 'driver' in that book, it's an abhorrent act and his attitude is abhorrent, but his attitude is not so different from the people around him. Kind of the author's way of spotlighting the seedier sides of history that the other books in the genre, Kipling and the like, don't show.

I'm not very eloquent, but hopefully you understand what I'm getting at. Flashman as a narrative spotlight for the lovely side of British imperialism and the like.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, basically. Although the one good thing is that he tends to also spotlight the hypocrisy of those around him who are engaged in the same activities as well, despite moralizing about it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I did not know any of that before. Neat! I'm STILL learning about history via Flashman, even if not through the books!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

feedmegin posted:

I mean, if you read the Flashman series, that's basically exactly what you'll get. :sun:

(with a bit of diversion into the antebellum US, which spoiler warnings is also pretty loving terrible)

A little about postwar US too, with comical bonuses like how Flashman is possibly maybe the guy who shot Custer in the confusion of Little Bighorn

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

There are a couple different narrators and they seem to all do a good job of getting in Flashman's character. Which includes being utterly pathetic when he's afraid. Highly recommend the audiobooks for long drives.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

aphid_licker posted:

Still not sure why from there we get to the dancing boys rather than hypothetical dancing girls though

Something I remember from History class is that it could be a cultural leftover from Alexander the Great's invasion. Pederasty being a thing with ancient Greece and all.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Afghanistan is a pretty grim place.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 22, 2019

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Don't leave us hanging, Beefeater! :shobon:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yes I know, I was just enjoying the discussion generated :spergin:

On a semi-related note, just watched this trailer and actually knew what it was about due to one of the Flashman books:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HwFGCQwbqs

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah if he does anything heroic, it's either by accident or because he has literally no other choice.

Or the one time he got seduced and drugged into it :catdrugs:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:neckbeard: I was wondering where this thread went. Thanks for continuing it!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The retreat from Kabul does get pretty brutally depressing in that book. Makes you wonder why the British went back 50ish years later, and why we're still there now.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Man, can you imagine the current era reaction to a blunder like that costing three thousand lives in a single incident?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

aphid_licker posted:

Ya, he's just giving Flashy an out to keep his face.

Really curious to see how this ends for Hudson.

:yeshaha:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The parts I find funniest in the Flashman books are those moments, when his superiors are grossly misinterpreting his outward actions in the aftermath, and what they say is entirely at odds with his own internal monologue.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Three where he ends up in the USA, iirc.

Unsurprisingly, this particular case:

Angrymog posted:

One where due to Flash's ability? to tan pretty dark, he ends up at the pointy end of the slave trade a couple of times.

Is because he got caught banging the wife of a plantation owner

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

joat mon posted:

Flashman is the Forrest Gump for the Trump Era.

Forrest Gump, but also evil and horny.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I thought Rudi was an amusing opponent for Flashman. But yeah, they are pretty similar characters.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:lol: Is that really what that protective gear looked like? I didn't have a mental picture when reading.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I always enjoy Flashman being taken as much more than he is by others, and there's more than usual in this book due to the impersonation thing. Makes it all the more amusing when he's revealed as a fraud.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I love how even in the wedding, Flashy is sizing up how to steal the bride's jewelry.

How are u posted:

Occasionally there are glimpses of Flashman that are very human and hint at what kind of man he would have been if he weren't just an absolute piece of poo poo. It's to Fraser's credit that Flashman is so much more than a caricature.

I'm talking about that moment with the orphan kid, to be clear.

That's an interesting question, what is it about Flashman that makes him more than a caricature to other readers? I always took him as a plausible character because I read the books after coming off of a contract in Iraq with British teammates, and knowing them and the shenanigans they got into. But I'm guessing most readers haven't worked with that particular type of Brit.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Really the most surprising part of Flashy's escape there is that he doesn't bang out a quickie with the duchess on the way out.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I really enjoy Lincoln's portrayal here. It's always amusing when someone comes in that can see Flashman for the poo poo he is.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Side note, in the audiobook version, the narrator really does the slow drawl for Lincoln. For some reason, British people doing American accents gets a laugh out of me every time.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I forget, was Crixus in Flashman and the Angel of the Lord too? The name sounds familiar, but it's been a few years.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Everyone posted:

It's great that Flashman respects Cassie as much or more than pretty much any white man he's known.

To be fair, that's not saying much :v:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Of all of the misinterpretations of Flashman's cowardice, the idea that he's shedding manly tears over his lost comrade in that scene is probably my favorite.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

How are u posted:

Soldiering sounds pretty drat miserable.

War, war never changes

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hell yeah gonna get some :catdrugs:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I really enjoy Flashman's moments of gross impostor syndrome like that.

Somewhat unrelated, I'm in the middle of GMF's war memoir Quartered Safe Out Here and it's pretty good so far. Definitely has the same sort of voice when describing places and events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

That seems to be his particular genius from the excerpts I’ve read in this thread.

Just finished the book. I enjoyed it, it seemed pretty earnest as far as soldiers' memoirs go. He was able to talk about it with some detachment, and avoided too much of the rose tinted glasses that some others seem to get. Doesn't shy away from his faults and mistakes when they come up, or those of others. Kind of a nice change compared to reading something like Band of Brothers where everyone is a fine upstanding boy scout and whatnot.

I liked this bit in particular, if only because I didn't realize that that particular question came up prior eras as well:

quote:

But in that railway wagon it was more like the moment when you’re clear with the ball and know you have a few yards to move in and a few seconds to think about it. There wasn’t much time, but enough: to pick a target, hang for an instant on the aim to make sure, take the first pressure according to the manual – and then the second.

It was exciting; no other word for it, and no explanation needed, for honest folk. We all have kindly impulses, fostered by two thousand years of Christian teaching, gentle Jesus, and love they neighbour, but we have the killer instinct, too, the murderous impulse of the hunter . . . but one must not say so. The young men going out to the Gulf felt obliged to tell the cameras that they felt nothing personal against the Iraqis, and wished them no harm — but I know, for I have felt it, that when an Iraqi came in their sights, the blood-lust would take them hot and strong. Never mind the excuse that this is what a soldier is trained for, that it is his duty, that like 007 he is licensed to kill; the truth is that he gets a kick out of it – which may be one reason why, when he is asked later: “Did you ever kill a Jap (or a German or an Iraqi)?” he will often dodge the question. Other reasons include a decent reticence, an understandable wish not to dwell on unpleasant memories, a reluctance to be thought a line-shooter or a psychopath, and a sense that the question is in doubtful taste. (The best answer, incidentally, is “Why do you want to know?” That makes them think.)