Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

anyone else go to thrift stores?

ever see any cool computer thigns there ?

discuss it here in thsi thread.

one time at the thrift store they had a tandy trs-80 model 100 in a case for only $20, and i didn't buy it for some reason, and i wish i did

i did get a hauppauge hd pvr2 for like 10 bucks or something so that was ok. they had a sears pong console once but it didn't work

i always enjoy seeing something that has the "imac design", like vcrs, home phones, even tvs and stuff like that.

anyway, what cool things u ever see or buy at a thrift store? maybe u are one of those book scanning weirdos?

thanks for reading my thread, like and subscribe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
i am one of the book scanning weirdos, op.

also i got a tandy trs-80 model 102 from the salvation army near me. there's also a weird pawn shop near here that has tons of 90s and early 2000s era computer stuff for some reason. old palm pilots and more esoteric pdas

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

infernal machines posted:

i am one of the book scanning weirdos, op.

also i got a tandy trs-80 model 102 from the salvation army near me. there's also a weird pawn shop near here that has tons of 90s and early 2000s era computer stuff for some reason. old palm pilots and more esoteric pdas

thats cool, unfortunately the thrift stores near me only occasionally have any cool computer stuff. i wish i could find a trs-80, mostly for my aunt who used them years ago and always talks about getting one

there's a book scanner guy at one of the thrift stores i go to and whenever they bring out a new cart of books he runs over and grabs as many of the books as he can carry and scurries off to his cart to scan them all, and gives people a weird mean look whenever they get close to him, like a book gollum or something.

i'm sure ur not all weirdos but i always think of that guy. the regulars call him "the beast" as he grabs everything right away

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
i just spend forever and a day scanning each and every shelf for old sci-fi books

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

heres a pic from a thirft store

anyone want movies u cant play anymore?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:kiss: to the mod who renamed this thread

..it was smythe, wasn't it

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

lol hosed up but true

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i mean, it's good to have on a bookshelf for a laugh "i got the complete set!"

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Thrift stores kinda suck now, the supply of tech stuff from the 80s either dried completely or its in a glass case and it's the most expensive thing in the store

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

post your hovel/storage unit full of junk itt

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Anyone signed up for the next excavation at Computer Reset?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvM82T3C2Ik

also my house is gradually filling up to the ceiling with mainly old macs

please help

r u ready to WALK fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 22, 2019

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
so where I live people do this thing where if they have things that are too big to fit in trash cans, they just put them in a pile at the corner. Old couches, bed frames, inkjet printers, water damaged ikea furniture, that kind of thing. And there's enough pack rats that someone always wants that poo poo. That old couch covered in morning dew? Someone wanted that and took it home. That hosed up BLIKEN bookshelf with the particle board swelling up because it got wet? Gone before sunset.

So one day about 5 years ago I'm takin my kid for a walk to try & get her to go to sleep and I see a big pile of something up at the end of the block. Tires maybe? As I get closer, I realize they're computers. Someone had left a stack of Sparc 5s and 10s on the corner. About 15 or 20. Two stacks, each about 4' high.

That stack of computers stayed on that loving corner for two goddamn weeks before the local trash pickup finally cleaned it up. Several people had complained and were afraid the computer pile would fall on a child, or an old person.

No one wanted those loving sparcstations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol nice

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

CRIMSON tide b;aby. YEah

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

please help

i tossed a bunch of my old macs the last time i moved because i decided my apartment probably shouldn't look like a computer museum. it still looks like poo poo but it's largely confined to my office, which i have a plausible explanation for

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what did people use sparcstations for in the old days

like were they CAD machines or or what

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

infernal machines posted:

:kiss: to the mod who renamed this thread

..it was smythe, wasn't it

it wasnt

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

rotor posted:

so where I live people do this thing where if they have things that are too big to fit in trash cans, they just put them in a pile at the corner. Old couches, bed frames, inkjet printers, water damaged ikea furniture, that kind of thing. And there's enough pack rats that someone always wants that poo poo. That old couch covered in morning dew? Someone wanted that and took it home. That hosed up BLIKEN bookshelf with the particle board swelling up because it got wet? Gone before sunset.

So one day about 5 years ago I'm takin my kid for a walk to try & get her to go to sleep and I see a big pile of something up at the end of the block. Tires maybe? As I get closer, I realize they're computers. Someone had left a stack of Sparc 5s and 10s on the corner. About 15 or 20. Two stacks, each about 4' high.

That stack of computers stayed on that loving corner for two goddamn weeks before the local trash pickup finally cleaned it up. Several people had complained and were afraid the computer pile would fall on a child, or an old person.

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TOOT BOOT posted:

Thrift stores kinda suck now, the supply of tech stuff from the 80s either dried completely or its in a glass case and it's the most expensive thing in the store

some of my favourite and most memorable items of cloth are from what we call “op shops”

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I toss my junk thoughtfully

<——— 21st Century Schizoid Man.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I toss my junk thoughtfully

<——— 21st Century Schizoid Man.

*saxophone plays*

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

please help

i got a first-gen g3 imac from a thrift store. it was $15. i boot into macos 9.2 sometimes, load up mozilla's usenet client and read teh yosnet

i also picked up a little old black and white tv that somebody had modified with a direct composite video input... i googled it and found a reference to the video board in a 1977 issue of Byte which was cool. then i wired in some rca ports so i could have audio + video without needing an rf modulator.

i got a hp digital oscilloscope for $12 at an 'indoor flea market'.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

please help

LGR is good people.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I have this piece of poo poo prebuilt HP from 2008 that I’m trying to hack up into a Windows 98 rig. So far Windows only boots in safe mode, but it beats the heap of junk I had before it which was apparently too drat new to run Win9x. Would've included a pic but the Awful app won't let me.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I go thrifting every month or so, there's loads of thrift shops within cycling distance.

The only computer stuff they sell is cables.

Once I scored a calculator older than myself, with a vacufluorescent display, in the correct yospos colour.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i was at the thrift store the other day and they had an "Ednalite projection pointer"

http://waywiser.fas.harvard.edu/objects/15548/ednalite-projection-pointer

an impressively big and heavy device, it seemed kinda cool. i didn't know what it was and i was hoping it was a really early laser pointer but when i tried it it's just a bright light in an arrow shape

i didnt buy it but still, not something i ever heard of and kinda cool to see

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
hoarding is hosed up and sad

rotor posted:

lol

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

rotor posted:

lol

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i want the sparcstations.

i had a couple in college and they were nice. the monitors were especially good but heavy as gently caress

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have several "vintage" macintoshes but that's because I can't remember if I formatted the hard drives before I put them in the closet and it's not worth the effort to find the power bricks or monitor adapters to hook them up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'd like to believe you, but you can just smash the drives with a hammer. clearly you have a problem, and the first step is to admit it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

someone in vancouver proper is selling four sparcstations for $150 and if I could find some drat monitor and keyboard adapters I would be all over that poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

those monitor adapters are pretty easy to come by on ebay

i could probably mail you one if that's all you need.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
instead of hoarding stuff just watch youtube likes this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJXRVyszFbo

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

TOOT BOOT posted:

I’m the beat up white van floor speakers with rotted foam surrounds and pushed in dust caps priced at $200/pair

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

there's a book scanner guy at one of the thrift stores i go to and whenever they bring out a new cart of books he runs over and grabs as many of the books as he can carry and scurries off to his cart to scan them all, and gives people a weird mean look whenever they get close to him, like a book gollum or something.

I could only dream to cultivate that aesthetic tbh

rotor posted:

She probably could have sold them for a couple of thou on ebay. I wish I could resell old junk like that, but it would just make me feel dirty inside.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 26, 2019

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
ok I know I’m gonna regret asking this but what is a book scanner and what are they trying to accomplish

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

wait what’s the point of book scanning I’ve never heard of this

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

probably using a barcode scanner to look for stuff with resale value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

polyester concept posted:

wait what’s the point of book scanning I’ve never heard of this

idk what op meant exactly, but in my case it just means visually scanning over the spines of all the books, looking for some old sci-fi paperbacks

they're usually just piled on the shelves in no particular order