Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think it means ppl that derive joy from scanning pdfs of dead, weird, unloved books and putting them out there for free because what, is karen johanssen of minnetonka going to sue you from 10 years beyond the grave because you put her cookbook up there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

i think it means ppl that derive joy from scanning pdfs of dead, weird, unloved books and putting them out there for free because what, is karen johanssen of minnetonka going to sue you from 10 years beyond the grave because you put her cookbook up there

u can exorcise her with one grain of cayenne powder tho

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

from what i understand, theres an app made by amazon that u can scan books and it'll tell you the approximate profit you'd make selling it on amazon

so in the store, you can scan a book upc and if its enough profit you can just hit like "yes" or whatever right there in the app, and then u go and buy all the books u said yes to, box them up and send them off to amazon for the 'fulfilled by amazon' nonsense, and then sit back and watch the money roll in

(from what ive heard the money will not roll in unless u basically treat it as a full time job)

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

you'll see people using their phone cameras for this but the serious people often have straight up legit laser barcode scanners hooked to their phones

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

from what i understand, theres an app made by amazon that u can scan books and it'll tell you the approximate profit you'd make selling it on amazon

so in the store, you can scan a book upc and if its enough profit you can just hit like "yes" or whatever right there in the app, and then u go and buy all the books u said yes to, box them up and send them off to amazon for the 'fulfilled by amazon' nonsense, and then sit back and watch the money roll in

(from what ive heard the money will not roll in unless u basically treat it as a full time job)

lmao. oh poo poo. i do not do that, i fully misunderstood wtf you were talking about.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I like to imagine it meant people would pick up the books, think really hard, and explode a mans head nearby

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

infernal machines posted:

lmao. oh poo poo. i do not do that, i fully misunderstood wtf you were talking about.

good now i feel better i called them weirdos.

for a quick way to see this in action, go to your local goodwill outlet, which i can best describe as "thrifting anarchy"

wear gloves.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vomik posted:

I like to imagine it meant people would pick up the books, think really hard, and explode a mans head nearby

ae lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

good now i feel better i called them weirdos.

for a quick way to see this in action, go to your local goodwill outlet, which i can best describe as "thrifting anarchy"

wear gloves.

i think maybe we don't have this in canada, at least i've never seen it at salvation army, value village, or goodwill (goodwill shut down a while back up here)

e: i am definitely a weirdo though, if only for spending up to an hour looking over all the shelves for unique old books for my collection

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

you'll see people using their phone cameras for this but the serious people often have straight up legit laser barcode scanners hooked to their phones
i see them all the time at library used book sales (speaking of garbage hoarding). specialized hand-held barcode scanners, hooked up to cellphones and an earpiece beeping to tell if the book they just scanned is worth anything

rude af, with sharp elbows

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

alexandriao posted:

She probably could have sold them for a couple of thou on ebay. I wish I could resell old junk like that, but it would just make me feel dirty inside.

they didnt have ram or disks and iirc they took weird sun-only versions of both

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FMguru posted:

i see them all the time at library used book sales (speaking of garbage hoarding). specialized hand-held barcode scanners, hooked up to cellphones and an earpiece beeping to tell if the book they just scanned is worth anything

Help your local library by sticking a credibly aged barcode to the spine of that 1997 edition of Java for dummies.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

all the really serious people have the scanners with WinCE devices in them because somehow the best software for this stuff is still based on that

it must be a real gamble to play the book value game because i have stuff saved in my amazon cart that fluctuates between 50% of its cost from just yesterday like it were a fuckin bitcoin

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

oval office AND PASTE posted:

it must be a real gamble to play the book value game because i have stuff saved in my amazon cart that fluctuates between 50% of its cost from just yesterday like it were a fuckin bitcoin

everything on amazon does this now, thanks to the A L G O R I T H M

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

the books youi can easily make a profit on don't have UPCs though so vOv

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the shop near me separates out any books that look old onto a separate shelf. and people must have a sixth sense as to what is actually valuable because it will sell instantly and everything else will stay there for months. if something is there two days in a row then you know its worthless and if its gone then it was valuable and you missed out.

i did once get a six volume account of WW2 by churchill for £10 which i sold on ebay for £150. god knows who actually wants to read it though as flicking through it it was just hundreds of pages of "...and then the minister handed me a note informing me that a memo would be released announcing a meeting to decide the agenda for the panel to be set up to determine the membership of the committee that would discuss the report produced at the hearing into...". i don't think the war even started until volume 4.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sweevo posted:

i did once get a six volume account of WW2 by churchill for £10 which i sold on ebay for £150. god knows who actually wants to read it though as flicking through it it was just hundreds of pages of "...and then the minister handed me a note informing me that a memo would be released announcing a meeting to decide the agenda for the panel to be set up to determine the membership of the committee that would discuss the report produced at the hearing into...". i don't think the war even started until volume 4.
mustve been a first edition or something - churchills ww2 memoirs sold a zillion copies and have been reprinted a bunch of times

one used bookstore near me wasnt too careful about checking incoming stock so i managed to score a copy of the dune encyclopedia for $5 (which i still have) and neil gaimans first book (ghastly beyond belief) for $2 (which i flipped on ebay for $140)

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
when I moved out of my "20s house" I donated/gave away/recycled about 30 odd computers. suns, sgis, decs, pcs, it was shameful.

somehow my love life was way more active then so who knows

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I got an HP RPN calculator in the thrift store a while back

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
no seriously what did people use sparcstations for

like what was a sparcstation better at doing than other machines

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pretty much any kind of unix development

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
back in the day you ran SunOS 4 on a SPARCstation and it was basically a very fast BSD machine, but better

lots of dot com boom companies put workstations on web developers’ desks because they were started by people who wanted the computers they shared in clusters for themselves, never mind that a Macintosh or PC was more representative of the actual users of the sites they worked on

also a lot of engineering applications started and were primarily used on workstations, this only really changed with the introduction of Windows NT and Microsoft effectively paying all of those companies to port their applications

(even if they didn’t directly pay, they often provided free licenses for tools, free tech support, even free hardware from third party partners, whatever it took to ensure that no other platform had an availability advantage)

like this is why the most common HP-HIL hardware after keyboards and mice are the ID boxes: they’re basically HP-vended security dongles that the authors of these kilodollars-per-seat apps could bundle (and post-HIL they all used FLEXlm)

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Silver Alicorn posted:

I got an HP RPN calculator in the thrift store a while back

:yeah: Good find.

yard salad posted:

everything on amazon does this now, thanks to the A L G O R I T H M

Gonna need an e-bay price sniping like tool for amazon now.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
a little bit ago I set up a SPARCstation 2 with SunOS 4.1.4 (“Solaris 1.1.2”) and Sun Workshop so I could see about writing some code on it

want to eventually make a Mastodon thing for SunView or NeWS

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
found a 486 motherboard for $4 today

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

$4 too much

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I used to work at a webhost and they would do a monthly hardware giveaway for employees to avoid paying for waste disposal. All these rubes lining up for 8 yo hardware that has the memory and power supplies stripped out lol

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

I used to work at a webhost and they would do a monthly hardware giveaway for employees to avoid paying for waste disposal. All these rubes lining up for 8 yo hardware that has the memory and power supplies stripped out lol

i love when clients ask me how much some out of warranty hardware is worth and i tell them how much we'd charge them to wipe and dispose of it.