Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

anyone else go to thrift stores?

ever see any cool computer thigns there ?

discuss it here in thsi thread.

one time at the thrift store they had a tandy trs-80 model 100 in a case for only $20, and i didn't buy it for some reason, and i wish i did

i did get a hauppauge hd pvr2 for like 10 bucks or something so that was ok. they had a sears pong console once but it didn't work

i always enjoy seeing something that has the "imac design", like vcrs, home phones, even tvs and stuff like that.

anyway, what cool things u ever see or buy at a thrift store? maybe u are one of those book scanning weirdos?

thanks for reading my thread, like and subscribe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

infernal machines posted:

i am one of the book scanning weirdos, op.

also i got a tandy trs-80 model 102 from the salvation army near me. there's also a weird pawn shop near here that has tons of 90s and early 2000s era computer stuff for some reason. old palm pilots and more esoteric pdas

thats cool, unfortunately the thrift stores near me only occasionally have any cool computer stuff. i wish i could find a trs-80, mostly for my aunt who used them years ago and always talks about getting one

there's a book scanner guy at one of the thrift stores i go to and whenever they bring out a new cart of books he runs over and grabs as many of the books as he can carry and scurries off to his cart to scan them all, and gives people a weird mean look whenever they get close to him, like a book gollum or something.

i'm sure ur not all weirdos but i always think of that guy. the regulars call him "the beast" as he grabs everything right away

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

heres a pic from a thirft store

anyone want movies u cant play anymore?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

lol hosed up but true

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i was at the thrift store the other day and they had an "Ednalite projection pointer"

http://waywiser.fas.harvard.edu/objects/15548/ednalite-projection-pointer

an impressively big and heavy device, it seemed kinda cool. i didn't know what it was and i was hoping it was a really early laser pointer but when i tried it it's just a bright light in an arrow shape

i didnt buy it but still, not something i ever heard of and kinda cool to see

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

from what i understand, theres an app made by amazon that u can scan books and it'll tell you the approximate profit you'd make selling it on amazon

so in the store, you can scan a book upc and if its enough profit you can just hit like "yes" or whatever right there in the app, and then u go and buy all the books u said yes to, box them up and send them off to amazon for the 'fulfilled by amazon' nonsense, and then sit back and watch the money roll in

(from what ive heard the money will not roll in unless u basically treat it as a full time job)

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

you'll see people using their phone cameras for this but the serious people often have straight up legit laser barcode scanners hooked to their phones

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

infernal machines posted:

lmao. oh poo poo. i do not do that, i fully misunderstood wtf you were talking about.

good now i feel better i called them weirdos.

for a quick way to see this in action, go to your local goodwill outlet, which i can best describe as "thrifting anarchy"

wear gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

oval office AND PASTE posted:

found a 486 motherboard for $4 today

nice!