Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I felt like it had potential since the MC got called out continually, but multiple people have spoiled that the novel only gets worse and after he fails 3 times everyone bows down and all the instructors admit he is the smartest and strongest and the true hero they were looking for the whole time, and the ultimate goal was always to have someone like him be born and succeed because he deserves to win for being able to look past what seems to be the moral option and actually do the horrible things that help the most people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well that's repugnant but unsurprising

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't know why but every Korean manga-like thing I've read has been far more sadistic than their Japanese equivalent. Like maybe I've gotten screwed by luck of the draw or something but I've gotten that impression.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't know why but every Korean manga-like thing I've read has been far more sadistic than their Japanese equivalent. Like maybe I've gotten screwed by luck of the draw or something but I've gotten that impression.

I think because manga has to get published in print and have pretty broad appeal/good art/certain content restrictions/deadlines/etc. to be successful, it causes tamer content.

Manwha is mostly webcomics and they have a lot less pressure that way, so there’s more freedom to do whatever they want

Aside from that, cultural differences or whatever I don’t know. Although I’ve seen memes about korean live-action drama TV also being very crazy compared to american/japanese media so that might be the case

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

KittyEmpress posted:

I felt like it had potential since the MC got called out continually, but multiple people have spoiled that the novel only gets worse and after he fails 3 times everyone bows down and all the instructors admit he is the smartest and strongest and the true hero they were looking for the whole time, and the ultimate goal was always to have someone like him be born and succeed because he deserves to win for being able to look past what seems to be the moral option and actually do the horrible things that help the most people

Yeah that’s pretty boring/gross. There is some potential in the ideas but it just doesnt do anything interesting with them. I’m a Spider, So What?! says and does way more interesting things with the murder makes you strong, view everyone as experience psychopathy, wait isnt this world set up to be violent, why is that? (vague LN spoilers) plot point. It would be more interesting if the god of ethics was way more hands on and brutally resetting him again and again in a groundhog day-like fashion till he figures out the exact line of being a bastard but still “ethical”. That could have some interesting things to say about how moral actions can still be cruel, or something?

It would still suck but it would be more interesting than the straight up psychopathy libertarian power fantasy of buying slaves with extorted money and murdering them for power. Like how is there a God of Ethics and she doesn’t just immediately fail him for that. It reminds me of some other trash isekai where the healing hero was reincarnated and got revenge on all his former comrades, but at least in that one his former comrades were actually evil instead of just making him do chores.

E: just realised Harvester is an isekai/trapped in a virtual reality story and basically this story according to those spoilers

Fellis fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 24, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fellis posted:

Yeah that’s pretty boring/gross. There is some potential in the ideas but it just doesnt do anything interesting with them. I’m a Spider, So What?! says and does way more interesting things with the murder makes you strong, view everyone as experience psychopathy, wait isnt this world set up to be violent, why is that? (vague LN spoilers) plot point. It would be more interesting if the god of ethics was way more hands on and brutally resetting him again and again in a groundhog day-like fashion till he figures out the exact line of being a bastard but still “ethical”. That could have some interesting things to say about how moral actions can still be cruel, or something?

It would still suck but it would be more interesting than the straight up psychopathy libertarian power fantasy of buying slaves with extorted money and murdering them for power. Like how is there a God of Ethics and she doesn’t just immediately fail him for that. It reminds me of some other trash isekai where the healing hero was reincarnated and got revenge on all his former comrades, but at least in that one his former comrades were actually evil instead of just making him do chores.

E: just realised Harvester is an isekai/trapped in a virtual reality story and basically this story according to those spoilers

Isn't that poo poo getting an Anime soon or something last I recall? I find those stories incredibly dumb as gently caress since, why? It's never made clear or explained WHY they betray or sell the protagonist out other than just because or to basically give him a reason to edgelord rear end in a top hat who has no issue using slave magic on them. At least something like Ubel Blatt made sense in that it was to cover up their own cowardice and profit from the event.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

It from what I read that never happened. He manages to oiss off his overseerer and the God just gives up on him and he gets assigned a newbie overseerer that he sociopathicly manipulates. When beating the world it seems to automatically rate the heroes so he just games the system. Like he tried to win as quick as possible so he wouldn't get any negative ratings, but then his fame rating was too low ect.. So then he won while at the same time paying for bards to spread the word about how great he was.

No actual person was happy with how he was doing stuff.

I caught up when he got back to earth.

I thought it was pretty ok. It seemed they were going for an actual sociopathic mc that wasn't just the regular too cool for school edgyness.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

ianmacdo posted:

It from what I read that never happened. He manages to oiss off his overseerer and the God just gives up on him and he gets assigned a newbie overseerer that he sociopathicly manipulates. When beating the world it seems to automatically rate the heroes so he just games the system. Like he tried to win as quick as possible so he wouldn't get any negative ratings, but then his fame rating was too low ect.. So then he won while at the same time paying for bards to spread the word about how great he was.

No actual person was happy with how he was doing stuff.

I caught up when he got back to earth.

I thought it was pretty ok. It seemed they were going for an actual sociopathic mc that wasn't just the regular too cool for school edgyness.

See, the comments on reaper scans site made it sound way different. They said that the morals professor gets fired and the replacement is a way cooler one who acknowledges how the hero is great and not at all insane, and all that. And that he then gets released as a paragon of heroes. Not that a newb gets manipulated or that everyone thinks hes still psycho.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You should just ignore reader comments. Most people have the reading comprehension of an angry raccoon.

That or they are just out right trolls.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
If psuedo-sociopath Korean manhwa hero is your thing, Second Life Ranker is much better

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dude looks ridiculous with that mask and the writing is nearly incoherent. let's rescue these guys from lizardmen, because no one ever clears this cave of lizardmen due to the powerful boss. oh no, they are ungrateful so they were convinced to turn against their saviors! oh no, it turns out they were only pretending to be captured by the lizardmen as a way to entrap potential rescuers in this place no one ever goes despite their conversation 5 minutes ago about how they were, in fact rescued. now it is okay to kill all of them, along with their friends they called in off-panel whose existence makes the fake prisoner thing even more pointless.

it's bad even by webnovel standards, and the webtoon adaptation didn't bother to clean up any of the gaping plot holes.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Does "cultivator" mean something specific for this genre?

I've seen this word come up a few times lately in relation to isekai but have gone several years without seeing it at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
generally it means absorbing ambient energy to enhance and alter your body in weird ways according to a manual. do it enough and you reach a new stage which dramatically transforms you. this process repeats until the author runs out of ideas.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Galvanik posted:

I've seen this word come up a few times lately in relation to isekai but have gone several years without seeing it at all.

Cultivation is a Xianxia and Wuxia term. You 'cultivate' your 'inner energy' or ki or chi or whatever you wanna call it, to push your body and soul beyond the normal mortal limit. Usually this is done by absorbing ambient elemental energy, eating mystical beasts, or consuming treasure pills other people have put their inner energy into. You then usually 'refine' this energy to make it one with your body, with effects like metal energy turning your bones to metal or other cool martial arts magic stuff.

Isekai/reincarnation novels where the MC has outside knowledge and thus can cultivate way faster are becoming increasingly common.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Galvanik posted:

Pretty much it mean magical punchwizards who turn their bodies into unstable magical reactors that are one step away from just blowing up at any time and taking out a large chunk of the continent.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AtomikKrab posted:

Pretty much it mean magical punchwizards who turn their bodies into unstable magical reactors that are one step away from just blowing up at any time and taking out a large chunk of the continent.

Except it's never as fun as this description makes it sound.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Except it's never as fun as this description makes it sound.

Pretty much. I should have added. OVERLY SERIOUS to that mix.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Eh, Cradle is pretty fun.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
There's only a few translated chapters out so far, but I do like the premise of " Is This Really A Different World? " for which, I'll just copy and paste the description from MangaDex since it was obviously written by someone who's seen too many isekai stories:

quote:

An ordinary Japanese man dies and is sent to another world.

The twist, though is... well... you know that Pixar movie Onward? Or Bright, the one with Will Smith? Basically, a setting where magic and dungeons and dragons are all real, but so much time has passed that they’ve developed a society similar to ours so you have orks working on their college dissertations in coffee shops while siren baristas use magic to create more decaf? Where political leaders instead established protests in segregated taverns to establish equality between humans and demonkind? Where farmers peddle mandrakes and slime extract at farmers markets so that health-savvy elves can make potion smoothies and then post a picture of them on Instagram?

Yeah, it’s like that. Anyway, enjoy the story of the MC realizing that none of his skills from the old world will wow people in this new world because they already invented soy sauce and crop rotation and double-book accounting on their own.

It's entertaining so far, and looking forward to seeing where they go with it, mainly because as the description from MangaDex points out, I am a bit sick of seeing isekai's where everyone has their minds blown thanks to the MC having incredibly surface level knowledge of some basic poo poo that they probably would've known already by this point of their civilizations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh I saw the first chapter of that and it looked interesting.

the start of the second chapter is excellent

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 27, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Galvanik posted:

Take a look at this LP thread, or more specifically, the effort posts by SaffronKit. I started reading A Will Eternal based on their recommendation, and it's fantastic.

AtomikKrab posted:

Pretty much. I should have added. OVERLY SERIOUS to that mix.

A Will Eternal does a great job of having the main character be an absurd foil to the overly serious stuff, which actually does a great job of raising the stakes when things get serious. Bai Xiaochun feels like an even more chaotic Goku.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Revdomezehis posted:

There's only a few translated chapters out so far, but I do like the premise of " Is This Really A Different World? " for which, I'll just copy and paste the description from MangaDex since it was obviously written by someone who's seen too many isekai stories:

It's entertaining so far, and looking forward to seeing where they go with it, mainly because as the description from MangaDex points out, I am a bit sick of seeing isekai's where everyone has their minds blown thanks to the MC having incredibly surface level knowledge of some basic poo poo that they probably would've known already by this point of their civilizations.

I was expecting something more similar to Freeter, got a spaz trying desperately to live out the isekai dream instead. Much appreciated. Gentleman Oni is a great character.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Speaking of, the next chapter is up now and we're getting a plotline of some sort. And there's a great action bit where Vampire Dad takes out a golem drone by drifting his farm truck on a dirt road, which is enough to keep me reading.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Speaking of, the next chapter is up now and we're getting a plotline of some sort. And there's a great action bit where Vampire Dad takes out a golem drone by drifting his farm truck on a dirt road, which is enough to keep me reading.

I also laughed when the goddess told him to get a job and pay his mortgage.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nemo2342 posted:

I also laughed when the goddess told him to get a job and pay his mortgage.

That was great too. I was worried the story wasn't going to do anything fun and just keep hitting the same notes but I was wrong and I'm happy about it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Taking bets now Shadowy guy is another isekai'd human who is more successfully living out his delusions of power except he fell in with the "bad guys" who are probably chuuni themselves

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I've tried reading a few of those reincarnation cultivator strips and as far as I can tell they are all basically exactly the same to a bizarre degree.

For example the first thing that always happens is that the newly awakened cultivator finds a relative of an old guy who turns out to be a blah blah tier cultivation cuck who is incurably sick. In gratitude for the protag easily curing the relative, the old dude becomes his ally and gives him a super posh rear end house.

There's some kind of formula they're all using that I'm not aware of. Probably because I'm not a chinese nerd. I find the whole formula pretty gross and not fun to read. It's a lot of repetitions of "stop loving with me or die".

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
On a note of actually likable protagonists I really enjoy Dungeon Reset. It's based on a trope of "trash" skill being lowkey broken and MC being abused cause of it. Yet he doesn't go super edgy and continues to be a generally nice person that cares about people. For a while it was more about just comfortably surviving/becoming more powerful but now the main plot started picking up since he got access to means to get back to earth and he wants to find his friend first. Also physical humor is great.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

wanna know if there's any isekai where the main character tries to be all clever with stupid trash skills or whatever and discovers that in a world where everyone has been living with these rules for their entire lives, everyone's already figured out this bullshit

gimme an isekai where the MC tries to powergame and it turns out that there's like 8 other powergamers in every village pulling the exact same poo poo he is

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Nathilus posted:

I've tried reading a few of those reincarnation cultivator strips and as far as I can tell they are all basically exactly the same to a bizarre degree.

For example the first thing that always happens is that the newly awakened cultivator finds a relative of an old guy who turns out to be a blah blah tier cultivation cuck who is incurably sick. In gratitude for the protag easily curing the relative, the old dude becomes his ally and gives him a super posh rear end house.

There's some kind of formula they're all using that I'm not aware of. Probably because I'm not a chinese nerd. I find the whole formula pretty gross and not fun to read. It's a lot of repetitions of "stop loving with me or die".

Dont forget about the local evil punks dad being like a hotel manager, not even owner, and for some reason this makes him a big deal?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

ianmacdo posted:

Dont forget about the local evil punks dad being like a hotel manager, not even owner, and for some reason this makes him a big deal?

Every two bit family has a pet cultivator on retainer, too. It's like having a feng shui guy except you call him when an uppity kung fu dude needs to be killed for the sake of your self interest.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ninjewtsu posted:

wanna know if there's any isekai where the main character tries to be all clever with stupid trash skills or whatever and discovers that in a world where everyone has been living with these rules for their entire lives, everyone's already figured out this bullshit

gimme an isekai where the MC tries to powergame and it turns out that there's like 8 other powergamers in every village pulling the exact same poo poo he is

I'd like that too. I usually find it implausible how many of these stories rely on people who've lived with these rules their entire lives having less understanding of them than some random outsider.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

this is the plot of gensou gourmet except the protagonist gets over it and just eats tasty fantasy food instead

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the exact opposite of that was that one wn about an isekai dude who ended up a healer so he decided to go all in on an evasion build. except, he was a newcomer to that world and didn't actually know how the evasion stat worked. he simply assumed it was overpowered like in some games rather than non-functional or weak like in others. so naturally, his completely unfounded assumption turned out to be completely correct and evasion worked by making everything automatically miss with no action necessary on his part. no one in this world had ever realized this, despite also having access to the level and stat system. this naturally resulted in him wandering around, smug and literally invincible while the moronic natives of the world remained angry and confused because he was doing it wrong.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the exact opposite of that was that one wn about an isekai dude who ended up a healer so he decided to go all in on an evasion build. except, he was a newcomer to that world and didn't actually know how the evasion stat worked. he simply assumed it was overpowered like in some games rather than non-functional or weak like in others. so naturally, his completely unfounded assumption turned out to be completely correct and evasion worked by making everything automatically miss with no action necessary on his part. no one in this world had ever realized this, despite also having access to the level and stat system. this naturally resulted in him wandering around, smug and literally invincible while the moronic natives of the world remained angry and confused because he was doing it wrong.

the 'best' part about it is that he keeps getting hated because his introduction is "I'm a healer but it's ok you don't need to protect me, I put all my stats in evasion" completely leaving out that he has a healing stat equal to the highest powered healer in the kingdom as his starting stat.

He never once comments this, or advertises that he has a lot of healing skill, he always starts everything with "I put everything in evasion!" and then is shocked that no one understands his value.

I only read 3 chapters of it but it was incredibly stupid.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's worse for the VRMMO sub-genre because I'm expected to believe that either beta testers or current players don't have ample enough documentation for in-game skills that nobody figured out you can max CON and be utterly invincible. And even still, once someone managed to actually do it there aren't immediately copycats doing the same for the benefits or a patch to remove that from the game?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Brought To You By posted:

It's worse for the VRMMO sub-genre because I'm expected to believe that either beta testers or current players don't have ample enough documentation for in-game skills that nobody figured out you can max CON and be utterly invincible. And even still, once someone managed to actually do it there aren't immediately copycats doing the same for the benefits or a patch to remove that from the game?

If you're talking about the recent anime, I'm pretty sure it's actually a part of the story that the devs keep nerfing the stuff she does and then she finds new ones.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it worked out for them in the end, because despite having a completely overpowered player running around who breaks balance simply by existing, she also serves as a cute mascot they can use in advertising.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

If you're talking about the recent anime, I'm pretty sure it's actually a part of the story that the devs keep nerfing the stuff she does and then she finds new ones.

I haven't actually watched it, I'm just aware that yet another MMO player found a broken build and it wasn't repeated by any other player. If there's a reason that's slightly better I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Conceptually it's shocking how much I prefer "the devs are just bad at balancing their game so this newbie is able to find new, OP builds even when they try to nerf the poo poo out of her" over "VRMMO that just ignores some random OP idiot who's clearly breaking the game but the devs...don't care?"