Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Artificer posted:

I picked this one up, in addition to the others, and oh wow she is a sociopath.

Much like anybody raised as a pawn in the power games of nobility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Newest Undead Adventuter LN volume is out. It's really good guys.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I read the latest Bookworm LN. The A plot was really stupid and it introduced a bunch of new characters I didn’t care about instead of having more Benno. It also continues to have the offputting conservatism it always had at its center— the society is horribly unjust but none of the characters, including powerful people the reader is obviously supposed to like, have any real ambitions of reforming it. It’s going for a “fish can’t see water” kind of thing, I think, where people can’t see outside their cultural milieus (since culture shock is a constant theme), and to be fair the series is really long and things presumably get shaken up later, but it’s still getting old.

But it’s still fun to watch Myne struggle toward competence in her new position and get herself into trouble, so I don’t regret reading it or anything.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Why would you expect the Duke or the other high ranking nobles to want to change society? They are the ones who benefit most from it as is.

Myne it's pretty consistently appalled at the way the nobles act and tries to bring more equity into the society when she can. See when she changed up how tithes to the archbishop were allocated. She wanted to give them to everyone equally.

But she is, of course just an extremely sickly child. She doesn't have any real authority of her own. Any authority she does have is that the pleasure of the Duke and the high priest. She's very limited in what she can do.

Ultimately, the Duke has no idea what sort of bomb he's setting off by expanding the printing industry throughout his realm. As we know what happened in our world that was a huge catalyst for change in the aftermath of the middle ages. We do know from a previous book that the Gutenbergs will become a real force for change in society in the future.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Honestly, that's a lot of projecting modern sensibilities in to an effectively feudal society, except one where the nobility has actual magical powers. The whole thing is that even if the characters introduced through P3V2 wanted to do the sweeping changes you think they should, they have neither the means nor political capital to spend to do so. Even the duke has to take the nobility below him into account when doing things--he can't even punish people he knows are blatantly breaking the law unless he can justify it politically if the person is well enough connected, and this isn't even mentioning the actual royalty above him that has only been alluded to. Then, even if he could justify improving life for city commoners' such as making the lower city not smell like poo poo or have carriages with suspensions, he'd have to get the approval of the "scholars," who would have no interest in spending government money doing so. Myne on the other hand is much more free to do as she wishes since her money is hers to spend even if it is much less, but she doesn't have any political power to speak of....yet. The relatively slow progression and development is what really sets Bookworm apart from other 'world building' type light novels, and for the most part fast, easy, and broad changes aren't really compatible with Bookworm's pace--it's not a sudden revolution, but a slow and steady climb to the top. Other novels like Accomplishments of a Duke's Daughter do much broader societal changes for relatively low effort by the MC, and that's cool in it's own right too.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Bit sad to learn that Ookami wa Nemuranai (Wolf Won't Sleep) seems to have been cancelled both as LN (vol 4) and manga (ch 16). The web novel is still continuing until the end, presumably, but I had the impression at least the manga was doing pretty well.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

darkgray posted:

Bit sad to learn that Ookami wa Nemuranai (Wolf Won't Sleep) seems to have been cancelled both as LN (vol 4) and manga (ch 16). The web novel is still continuing until the end, presumably, but I had the impression at least the manga was doing pretty well.

Well, that's disappointing. I could deal with one being cancelled, but both really sucks since I generally haven't had good luck with web novel translations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
whaaaaaa well that loving sucks. That comic wasn't just good for the story and setting, the art was interesting as well

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Dang, that sucks to hear.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Is there nothing that 2020 won't take from us

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
After many months there''s a new chapter of Drifters Scan quality is bad but there's not much to say for this one since Hirano is just phoning it in at this point. No badass military tactics from Hannibal, just a heel turn from the only End who was clearly not a crazy, magical enchanted human like the rest

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

darkgray posted:

Wait, WTF?! Why? Link to the info? I was under the impression it was doing well since it was consistently in the Top 5 on the raws website. Man, gently caress that bullshit, This was one of the few good mature fantasy stories/isekai out there and it gets canned?!!

Edit: Found the manga stuff saying it was gonna continue in the novel.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 27, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

darkgray posted:

megawelp

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
The WN translation is still going, but the pace is slow as heck. Probably can't survive in mangaland.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I was scrolling through MangaDex when I found “Filming Adult Videos In Another World”, translated by AnCap Translations. Will update on if it’s as trash as it seems

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

In this episode of Bookworm, the isekai'd child teaches nobles about basic management techniques.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

thetoughestbean posted:

I was scrolling through MangaDex when I found “Filming Adult Videos In Another World”, translated by AnCap Translations. Will update on if it’s as trash as it seems

It’s actually pretty funny and way less ecchi than I expected from a series with that premise.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Nitrousoxide posted:

In this episode of Bookworm, the isekai'd child teaches nobles about basic management techniques.

3.2 was seriously so much better than 3.1 imo. it's funny to see someone other than Myne faceplant into Chesterton's fence for a change. something I really appreciate is that Myne's family still keeps showing up; it's not like they just exist as tragic backstory to be written out of the story.

I feel like Lutz is in extreme danger of losing his title as deuteragonist though, kid needs to step up his game.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

nrook posted:

3.2 was seriously so much better than 3.1 imo. it's funny to see someone other than Myne faceplant into Chesterton's fence for a change. something I really appreciate is that Myne's family still keeps showing up; it's not like they just exist as tragic backstory to be written out of the story.

I feel like Lutz is in extreme danger of losing his title as deuteragonist though, kid needs to step up his game.

I assume you're talking about the Duke changing the succession method. It was indeed good to see some actual pushback against his childish whims and poorly thought out schemes.

I am getting somewhat concerned about Rosemyne getting too comfortable with the morals of the world though. While I certainly don't like isekai protags who show up and "illuminate" the savages. Her willingness to accept the slavery of the orphans is troubling. It's one thing to work within the system with the modest power she has, and the limits she has as well. But her internal monologue seems to indicate she's starting to think that her previous morals are too restricted.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nemo2342 posted:

It’s actually pretty funny and way less ecchi than I expected from a series with that premise.

It was definitely a lot funnier than I expected

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

thetoughestbean posted:

It was definitely a lot funnier than I expected

It has lots of great little gags:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Bumping the thread with a couple of updates.
Instant Death set up a joke a few chapters ago with the payoff happening in a way I couldn't expect.

Nectar of Dharani really making me feel the monthly updates with this arc, it's not bad but definitely is dragging itself out. I really with the glasses simp didn't have another trick to pull out after his ultimate Golem but here we are with what I assume is a magical nuke

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Pardon the double post; but the last two chapters of The Wolf Won't Sleep have finally been translated. Feels like a good stopping point if any and I'll miss the artwork of this series as much as the story.

For anyone trying to keep up with the story, the web novel receives pretty much daily updates on Sousetsuka

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I don't typically read those but will have to check it out. Thanks for the link.

What a shame. Did they ever say why it was canceled? :smith:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Jackard posted:

I don't typically read those but will have to check it out. Thanks for the link.

What a shame. Did they ever say why it was canceled? :smith:

That's what I'm curious about as well. The authors other work, Bard Roen is doing quite well but that runs on a seinen mag I think. My theory is that it lacked a female "mascot" in the same vein as other LN's.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/POVBoyPosterGirl

The trope above kind of explains. There was another that mentioned that people rarely give a poo poo about the male MC and are simply there for the female cover one or the interest lags do to a lack of obvious Romantic interest or attractive female character of that kind. Compare + Contrast with Undead Adventurer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao at this

the basic premise is that people get isekai'd to this completely generic fantasy world with rpg systems all the time, for no reason, and they are fundamentally inferior to any random native inhabitant because of their limited access to those systems. oh, except for the mc, he is actually super awesome at everything and doesn't have to deal with any of those downsides, all for no particular reason. also, every woman he meets instantly becomes completely obsessed with him what with how awesome he is. so, it's not like the mc has much of an issue with prejudice. what is even the point of making a setting with such a twist and then immediately contradicting it to tell a bog standard isekai story with no noteworthy aspects?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lmao at this

the basic premise is that people get isekai'd to this completely generic fantasy world with rpg systems all the time, for no reason, and they are fundamentally inferior to any random native inhabitant because of their limited access to those systems. oh, except for the mc, he is actually super awesome at everything and doesn't have to deal with any of those downsides, all for no particular reason. also, every woman he meets instantly becomes completely obsessed with him what with how awesome he is. so, it's not like the mc has much of an issue with prejudice. what is even the point of making a setting with such a twist and then immediately contradicting it to tell a bog standard isekai story with no noteworthy aspects?

Just to clarify, the isekai'd people suck because they're not allowed to advance past level 1, so if they waste their limited skill points on random stuff they're boned since they can never grow. The MC dodged this fate by spending 10% of his skill points on "Limit Break", which lets him advance past level 1.

I actually like the receptionist being all over him, just because she's straight up "he's going to be famous and I want to ride that gravy train out of this job" which is an amusing change from the usual type of girl throwing themselves at a milquetoast MC.

The rest of it has been pretty standard "op guy accidentally overachieves because he doesn't know better" fare, but with these tiny 10 page "chapters" we're barely into his second day in this world.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

to tell a bog standard isekai story with no noteworthy aspects?

To be fair, many noteworthy aspects of many isekais are not in their favor

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
How many slaves does this guy own so far?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Nipponophile posted:

How many slaves does this guy own so far?

Slaves have been mentioned in passing. The main character has so far purchased zero, but notably did not set out to immediately end the institution of slavery with fireballs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
based on how it is going thus far someone will simply give him one or more slaves and he'll go "well gosh" as his sole reaction. the morality of slavery will never be mentioned.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
What's the point of an isekai that explains the currency values, but doesn't tell me how much Yen a single Gard equals?

Edit: I'm blind this early in the morning. It's 1 meat skewer's worth. Crisis averted.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 26, 2020

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

Slaves have been mentioned in passing. The main character has so far purchased zero, but notably did not set out to immediately end the institution of slavery with fireballs.

MC would also get completely wrecked if he tried to do that right now. He needs more growth by slaughter of monsters first.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

Fallorn posted:

MC would also get completely wrecked if he tried to do that right now. He needs more growth by slaughter of monsters first.

This is why isekai that start with the MC having powers that're otherworldly for where they end up are so neat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/frog_kun/status/1332276090249777153?s=21

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

welp time for me to die

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Imagine of all the influences for people trapped in VR you just go the weeabo route and pick Sword Art Online.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not really surprising that the dude whose sole defining trait is uncritical consumption of mass media would like sao.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

it's not really surprising that the dude whose sole defining trait is uncritical consumption of mass media would like sao.

Not even a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I am completely unsurprised.