Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Nemo2342 posted:

Yeah, I liked the story, but my biggest complaint was that it kind of tests my suspension of disbelief that he doesn't seem to know anything about mutants, elves, magic, etc despite somehow having done in-depth research on one of the major megacorps. It's one thing that he doesn't know about the books (thanks to Inky) or is so dense that he doesn't realize how dangerous his customers are, but the lack of setting knowledge by someone who technically has access to every book ever written was a bit much.

I really dig this one too, and I guess I'd say, "Does he though?" He's certainly not reading the books he's giving out. I'm imagining that what he's reading is vaguely about the world, but only in a way he can comprehend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he has the perspective of a regular guy on the street. your average joe might be vaguely aware of these tiers of supernatural beings, as their existence isn't a secret. any specific details don't reach down that far. but mostly, it's because he's a dumbass. you don't look deeper when you are already supremely self-assured that your first casual impression is 100% correct.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I was a little disappointed that the first girl actually was the heiress to a massive corporation like he assumed, and not just someone with the same surname. Then he'd introduce people to her thinking she'd help them in business, but actually recruit them into her shady rebel group. I guess he's doing that anyway...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I really dig this one too, and I guess I'd say, "Does he though?" He's certainly not reading the books he's giving out. I'm imagining that what he's reading is vaguely about the world, but only in a way he can comprehend.

I read it as he is perception of the reality he is in is altered by the contract he made to GET all the books ever

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Martial Arts Isekai time!
right. Read this one because it has side characters who are cool and useful (at least for now) and the lead and his sister have a fun dynamic: https://www.asurascans.com/comics/maxed-out-leveling/
This one has the absolute worst most generic loving name tho.

This one is moving into the mediocre pile for me. I was hoping the manhwa would have him become a kick-rear end team with his sister but instead it's just guild dick-measuring as usual.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Crazy martial arts dude eats a magic jewel and gets sent to the past, begins his ancient chinese martial arts grindset. He is a cocky, arrogant, sarcastic dick and seeing him reply to bad guys' taunts in kind was a breath of fresh air for the genre. Good art, though MC can be a bit too much of a oval office to people at times: https://www.asurascans.com/comics/9-the-return-of-the-crazy-demon/

This dude however murdered the poo poo out of some slavers.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I work at a bookstore and shortlisted a couple copies of the first volume of My Ideal Sponger Life because I’ve ended up talking about it with customers a couple times and we haven’t had the first volume for me to try to sell

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Crazy martial arts dude eats a magic jewel and gets sent to the past, begins his ancient chinese martial arts grindset. He is a cocky, arrogant, sarcastic dick and seeing him reply to bad guys' taunts in kind was a breath of fresh air for the genre. Good art, though MC can be a bit too much of a oval office to people at times: https://www.asurascans.com/comics/9-the-return-of-the-crazy-demon/

I ended up enjoying this one more than I should. He's definitely a huge dick when he doesn't need to be, but he is satisfyingly rude to a whole bunch of people who deserve it (plus of course the wholesale slaughter of slavers).

thetoughestbean posted:

I work at a bookstore and shortlisted a couple copies of the first volume of My Ideal Sponger Life because I’ve ended up talking about it with customers a couple times and we haven’t had the first volume for me to try to sell

The manga's been real good, so hopefully the LN is too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Crazy demon is good. Bit of a power fantasy but the MC actually has agency and a personality so hes not a blank slate. Hes arrogant and a dick but hes a genuinely good person, as long as its not to a slaver, bandit or some jianghu dickhead.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
In the sea of random garbage filed under isekai I ran into something halfway interesting: Growing Tired of the Lazy High Elf Life After 120 Years.

MC reincarnated as a high elf, but he gets extremely bored with all the flowers and communing with nature stuff so he sets out to see the world. The pacing is a little weird, because with a MC who's lifespan is at least 1000 years long the manga sees no issue with quickly skipping months or even years at a time. It's almost like a cliff notes version of a slice of life series.

If I had to complain, there's a couple times where the resolution to an issue doesn't feel wholly satisfying because the MC can afford to wait out a problem instead of going in taking heads, but overall I enjoy the concept. Oh and there's no LitRPG elements and very little of the standard isekai crutches (he doesn't teach them japanese food or invent crop rotation) which was refreshing.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nemo2342 posted:

In the sea of random garbage filed under isekai I ran into something halfway interesting: Growing Tired of the Lazy High Elf Life After 120 Years.

MC reincarnated as a high elf, but he gets extremely bored with all the flowers and communing with nature stuff so he sets out to see the world. The pacing is a little weird, because with a MC who's lifespan is at least 1000 years long the manga sees no issue with quickly skipping months or even years at a time. It's almost like a cliff notes version of a slice of life series.

If I had to complain, there's a couple times where the resolution to an issue doesn't feel wholly satisfying because the MC can afford to wait out a problem instead of going in taking heads, but overall I enjoy the concept. Oh and there's no LitRPG elements and very little of the standard isekai crutches (he doesn't teach them japanese food or invent crop rotation) which was refreshing.

The main flaw is that the isekai part is entirely pointless, but overall yeah it's neat

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Yinlock posted:

The main flaw is that the isekai part is entirely pointless, but overall yeah it's neat

I'm not entirely convinced that's a flaw, but point taken. It does draw on the isekai part a bit, but it's very minor; mostly as a justification for why this particular high elf doesn't hold the same stereotypical views that the others do.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Someone needs to licence the Moon Led Journey light novels.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is it still on hiatus

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

realist hero saves the kingdom is bad now, do not recommend

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What happened?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I bought the Final Fantasy isekai and so far it avoids the excesses of isekai manga. No slavery, the protagonist isn’t stupidly overpowered (his big moment in the first volume is just putting bomb fragments on arrows to make bomb arrows), the female characters seem reasonably dressed

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jackard posted:

What happened?

When one of the Novel Updates reviews starts with "I made an account just to say what a complete garbage show this novel is", you know things are just going to go swell.

But from the reviews I've read, people basically say it is utterly boring with unlikable characters and the plot is just completely stupid. There's also a LOT of reviews. Like, dang, there's 7 pages of reviews and every single one feels like a dissertation. Lots of people love it and lots of people hate it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I bounced off Realist Hero after the first LN volume. It was okay but none of it held my attention.

Captain Invictus posted:

Is it still on hiatus
No idea but 20~ pages of manga a month ain't getting it. Anyway there's 15 volumes so that's like 2-3 books a year for five years. I'll probably get bored by then.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Jackard posted:

What happened?

MC turned someone into a slave and its portrayed as him being wise and merciful

thetoughestbean posted:

I bought the Final Fantasy isekai and so far it avoids the excesses of isekai manga. No slavery, the protagonist isn’t stupidly overpowered (his big moment in the first volume is just putting bomb fragments on arrows to make bomb arrows), the female characters seem reasonably dressed

lol just wait

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't really think of many Final Fantasy villain groups but I'm surprised they decided to bring them back of all things.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Bro Dad posted:

lol just wait

I got to the second volume and met the Magus Sister is literally 25% boob by volume

I’m not saying it’s a dealbreaker, especially considering it’s still not very horny by isekai standards, but wow. It’s a lotta boob

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bro Dad posted:

Yep. Despite having just demonstrated that he can just do whatever the gently caress he wants, he pulls the "oh this is the only way I can punish you" card with the justification that only slave can kill him when he gets out of line. It's pretty drat dumb.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Nemo2342 posted:

Yep. Despite having just demonstrated that he can just do whatever the gently caress he wants, he pulls the "oh this is the only way I can punish you" card with the justification that only slave can kill him when he gets out of line. It's pretty drat dumb.

But is it as dumb as a whole nation starving to death because the farmers haven't thought about growing food?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nalin posted:

But is it as dumb as a whole nation starving to death because the farmers haven't thought about growing food?

To be fair, I'm already so isekai-poisoned that I just accept a certain amount of dumb situations as standard for isekais. Though in Realist Prince they do at least try to have a good justification; without state intervention the farmers jumped to short-term profits over long term sustainability, that caused food prices to spike so more farmers switched from food to cash crops, rinse repeat until the country was hosed. That's way better than the typical "we've never heard of crop rotation" or "we never thought to try growing/eating any of these things" situations that are much more common.

Of course that doesn't excuse a lot of the other questionable stuff in the manga, but that bit at least felt somewhat reasonable. Plus it's not like the last couple of years haven't killed any notion I might have had about people being rational actors.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Realist Prince actually did handle that farming situation very sensibly with plenty of historical precedent. Economic incentives to farm cash crops and to avoid surplus stockpiling are a common cause of famine, though IIRC it's more of a colonial era/modern problem than medieval.

Bro Dad posted:

:sigh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I really like Realist Hero but I will freely admit that what they did with that character sucks. That is by far my least favorite part of the story.
It doesn't ruin the whole thing for me but I do think less of it. Even if it is a punishment for treason.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I dont like that they are doing the slave collar poo poo, if he was just like “your punishment is 30 years hard labor”, and then the hard labor was servitude to the royal family, I feel it wouldn’t be as fuckin terrible even if that’s still slavery as punishment. Like the crime was treason its not really propping up an institution of slavery or anything

Or if he offered the chance to “kill herself” and join the shadow corps instead of what he proposed, then she has a bit of agency instead of the slave harem meme

loving ugh, i’m gonna keep reading it because trash doesn’t bother me that much but I did enjoy that one having some actual governance and thought. Its been dumb lately. Sad to hear the anime might be bad? Not surprised, the whole thing is very talky and not too showy

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Agreed. And indeed the anime is dogshit. The thing is that the animation is so loving poor despite the story being mostly people talking.

Like I get that animating action scenes is a lot of work, but even Genius Prince Debt Nation looks okay when it's just discussions. Realist Hero also does these weird angle changes during the scenes which I guess the director thought looked cool but tbh all they do is emphasize how cheap the whole thing looks.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 18, 2022

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

hero of three continents was a good/cute story about a young ruler trying to save the byzantine empire so his girlfriend will kiss him

until chapter 11 when our of nowhere our child protagonist is literally sucked off by a semen demon as part of a magical pact :wtf:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bro Dad posted:

hero of three continents was a good/cute story about a young ruler trying to save the byzantine empire so his girlfriend will kiss him

until chapter 11 when our of nowhere our child protagonist is literally sucked off by a semen demon as part of a magical pact :wtf:

Yeah that was not the kind of curve I wanted from the story.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Fellis posted:

I dont like that they are doing the slave collar poo poo, if he was just like “your punishment is 30 years hard labor”, and then the hard labor was servitude to the royal family, I feel it wouldn’t be as fuckin terrible even if that’s still slavery as punishment. Like the crime was treason its not really propping up an institution of slavery or anything

Or if he offered the chance to “kill herself” and join the shadow corps instead of what he proposed, then she has a bit of agency instead of the slave harem meme

loving ugh, i’m gonna keep reading it because trash doesn’t bother me that much but I did enjoy that one having some actual governance and thought. Its been dumb lately. Sad to hear the anime might be bad? Not surprised, the whole thing is very talky and not too showy

While it certainly wouldn't be the only thing in my reading list with bad takes on slavery, generally having the MC themselves be the one enslaving people is a line that I don't want to cross. Especially in this instance where he's forcing someone into a murder-suicide pact and the story wants me to treat this as a good and wise decision.

Like you said though, the story has really gotten pretty dumb lately, so this feels like a good time for me to just drop it since I've stopped looking forward to updates.

Speaking of mangas that unfortunately had to have slavery, I just went through this dumb one: Striving for the Luxury Liner.

MC gets isekaied, but his only cheat skills are the universal language one and the ability to purchase and summon magic boats. The boats themselves are also a bit cheaty, since they're invincible and can deny anyone who doesn't have permission from the MC from boarding them (i.e. he can use it as a makeshift barrier). After doing the slow adventurer grind for a bit god comes in and tells the MC to stop being boring, and sells him on the idea that if he works his way up to buying the luxury liner it will let him have all the amenities he was used to from his previous world.

It's mostly a goofy kind of slice-of-life story about a guy using his boat to try and make money to buy a better boat. The downsides are that the MC does have a constant level of PG-13 horniness that isn't always as funny as the author thinks (though so far it hasn't crossed into being gross) and in the last chapter he buys two indentured servants to serve as crew on his boat.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Did anybody post this manga yet? It's quite good: https://mangadex.org/title/6a769300-091e-49ab-8cd3-cc32c360ecc0/isekai-demo-bunan-ni-ikitai-shoukougun

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah its pretty good. The central deal that the MC not only isnt strong, hes weaker than practically anyone in the world is an interesting one. It lets the rest of the characters actually be characters with agency. The story is still a little simple in that the plot always finds the cast rather than the opposite but theres a decent amount of intrigue.

Tl;dr its the better version of The Realist Hero.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah its pretty good. The central deal that the MC not only isnt strong, hes weaker than practically anyone in the world is an interesting one. It lets the rest of the characters actually be characters with agency. The story is still a little simple in that the plot always finds the cast rather than the opposite but theres a decent amount of intrigue.

Ugh I really don't want to agree with this but it's true. Realist gets better (...ish) but this still stands above it. We're unfortunately gonna go through a few dogshit nothingburger arcs in Realist.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Which is funny because I thought this one was called Realist Hero when I was trying to find it after a few months of forgetting about it. I found an okay story called Realist Maou story in the process.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rudoku posted:

Which is funny because I thought this one was called Realist Hero when I was trying to find it after a few months of forgetting about it. I found an okay story called Realist Maou story in the process.

Realist Maou is the one where he summons Joan of Arc right? That one was fairly decent but I don’t recall seeing an update in a while.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"Hey guys, did you know fantasy racism and slavery is good, actually?"

https://mangadex.org/title/790f5f8d-0f9a-4f4b-92b3-9ac15f892b34/gift-mugen-gacha-de-level-9999

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

yeah, I feel like he's a bit too diabolically calculating, but it leads to interesting story beats so I'll allow it

One of my more anticipated isekai series as of late. The main cast is mostly great and the humor is solid too. The fighting is brutal and ridiculous, as well.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I'll be honest. This series has the right amount of edge to it without becoming unpalatable. Because it has all the makings of a garbage revenge story but somehow manages to be fun. I think the art style helps because it's not gritty but the author can still dip into serious looks and intimidating moods but the humor is on point like when the mohawk minions show up. I also don't really consider the gacha summons to be slaves if that's what part of your comment was aimed at. They are more like automatons in my mind. Really advanced ones just programmed to be loyal to whoever pulls them. But of course he has mostly female summons because a harem is a prerequisite for schlock manga.

Does that make me a terrible person? Potentially but man do I loving hate those racist elves; so good on the MC for taking out the trash and working not just to get his own revenge but actually elevate humans as a whole. I think it's definitely worth reading if you want a non-stop curb stomp on assholes. Chimera is also best girl and I'll hear no arguments against it.

:allears: So majestic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the problem with racism is that these elves are being racist toward me, specifically.