Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Fellis posted:

Greatest Estate Developer is very good this week. Good faces, Javier being completely gobsmacked by Lloyd, and a challenge for the MC that he (possibly) can’t just BS his way through

https://m.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-greatest-estate-developer/episode-65/viewer?title_no=3596&episode_no=65

I do love the ‘elves love plants so much they are strict carnivores’ as an inversion of the trope and actually having ladies who pull bowstrings constantly be ripped as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
I started reading The Faraday Paladin (light novel).
Watched the anime that released a while back and loved it. Read the available manga chapters then saw the licensed light novel at Barnes and noble and picked it up.
It reads much different than others light novels, much more like a regular fantasy book.

Might be obvious, but while the anime was neat, there is so much more details in the book talking about how the religion of the world works and the people living there

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Bremen posted:

I'm glad to see this isn't dead, it's been over two years since the last update.

The artist suffered a hand/wrist injury iirc

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Faraway Paladin wrapped up really well with book five but I hope one day the author can get back to writing because there is some neat stuff set up if he continues.

Tyrgle
Apr 3, 2009
Nap Ghost

GateOfD posted:

I started reading The Faraday Paladin (light novel).

I just had this image pop into my head of a lightning knight completely covered in chain mail with grounding straps sparking on the ground... The Faraday Paladin.

It was pretty great.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, Faraway Paladin's one of the best representations of how faith in a pure fantasy world where gods are real, and absolutely the best representation of how a true Paladin-sort would act and what they might have to deal with. It's definitely stuff that needs to have a lot of thought put into it when you're building a world but often doesn't.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Asimo posted:

Yeah, Faraway Paladin's one of the best representations of how faith in a pure fantasy world where gods are real, and absolutely the best representation of how a true Paladin-sort would act and what they might have to deal with. It's definitely stuff that needs to have a lot of thought put into it when you're building a world but often doesn't.

Wholeheartedly agree, ditto for it being one of the best depictions of a second chance at life. Still overwhelmingly pissed about the anime adaption and how the series was received in places.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

doomrider7 posted:

Wholeheartedly agree, ditto for it being one of the best depictions of a second chance at life. Still overwhelmingly pissed about the anime adaption and how the series was received in places.

I was going to watch that over vacation, did they butcher it?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I haven't watched the whole thing but it was just sort of meh?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SystemLogoff posted:

I was going to watch that over vacation, did they butcher it?

First half of the episode count was quite good though some of the battle scenes like the fight against the skeleton army that Stagnate summons could have been better as well as a general animation and quality bump the later episodes were just very poor and stilted and for how amazing the series is, it deserved so much better.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
good isekai series fans are eating good lately, with faraway paladin, last boss, mynoghra, and now Fabiniku updating over the last few days. and what an update! I can hear the Tables Turn in my head while reading the recent chapters!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and now isekai uncle updates as well, and reminds us it's totally capable of having really badass pages as well, that it will probably immediately turn into a gag, but still, that page rules

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Captain Invictus posted:

good isekai series fans are eating good lately, with faraway paladin, last boss, mynoghra, and now Fabiniku updating over the last few days. and what an update! I can hear the Tables Turn in my head while reading the recent chapters!

Fabiniku is really hitting it out of the part lately, what with Tachibana and Jinguji admitting their feelings for each other and Tachibana being like "Well...I know he's fighting to turn me back into a dude but maybe I like being a girl?" THIS IS MY poo poo!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Captain Invictus posted:

I can hear the Tables Turn in my head while reading the recent chapters!
This track comes to mind whenever protagonists manage an unlikely comeback

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jackard posted:

This track comes to mind whenever protagonists manage an unlikely comeback
that feels more antagonistic than heroic imo

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
heroic tracks need that soft strings or smooth beat

if within the same series example, I would go with this track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpc8K-zQoYM

comeback tracks need a really good tempo shift in the middle like that one good danmachi track the anime keeps spamming after the first season undeservedly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWlfyXi0KYs

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Captain Invictus posted:

drat he's just like me fr

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

If we're going with jojo comeback songs why not bring up the GOAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2L4r0Aelvg

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Matter Regarding the Female Knight Who Came to Live With Me in the Countryside and yeah. I don't like the older brother but I get where his anger is coming from.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
That series really did just shove 'she's literally half his age' under the rug and ignore it huh.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Cirina posted:

That series really did just shove 'she's literally half his age' under the rug and ignore it huh.

I still read that one "Starting over on the frontier from zero" one or whatever it's titled. It's not very good or interesting but in it a man is told that he is now married to a child and immediately says "I absolutely the gently caress am not" so I kind of feel like I owe it to the series to persevere.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Your standards should be higher than "does not endorse pedophilia"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
An Isekai where the main narrates his experiencing waking up in another world with his trusty P90 and it gets to the part where the Royalty presents him with his Slaves Wives (as is customary for heroes).

Then it cuts to a jail cell with him going "and then I started blasting".

In anime news, latest EP of Misfit of Demon Academy threaded the needle perfectly with the dumb poo poo reveal cliffhanger and I love this goofy show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FilthyImp posted:

An Isekai where the main narrates his experiencing waking up in another world with his trusty P90 and it gets to the part where the Royalty presents him with his Slaves Wives (as is customary for heroes).

That's just a half-remembered jumble of Stargate SG1 episodes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

FilthyImp posted:

Then it cuts to a jail cell with him going "and then I started blasting".
Reminds me of this thing I saw (originally posted on Twitter by a dude who's not usually work-safe apparently): https://imgur.com/gallery/6mqZ60b

made me realize that I would absolutely read "dude gets isekai'd into harem-ready fantasy world where everyone is unreasonably horny for him and hates it". Issue 2 could be him going to the slave market full of beastwomen and just flipping poo poo all "are you fuckers SELLING PEOPLE"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

That's just a half-remembered jumble of Stargate SG1 episodes.

In my mind I'm thinking this one from season 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8
And this one from Season 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ce7iZ_zCKQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Brought To You By posted:

In my mind I'm thinking this one from season 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8
And this one from Season 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ce7iZ_zCKQ

Add in the season 1 episode where the space Mongols kidnap Carter and take her as a slave wife because she dared speak.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Add in the season 1 episode where the space Mongols kidnap Carter and take her as a slave wife because she dared speak.
I don't need it to be science fiction, but are there any isekai that do feature traveling to different worlds sort of like Stargate, Star Trek, or even Sliders? I feel like it's a missed opportunity especially since serialization would work hand in hand with jumping to various locations for both episodic adventures but overarching ones.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Spanish Matlock posted:

I still read that one "Starting over on the frontier from zero" one or whatever it's titled. It's not very good or interesting but in it a man is told that he is now married to a child and immediately says "I absolutely the gently caress am not" so I kind of feel like I owe it to the series to persevere.

I believe you're thinking of Ryoumin 0-nin Start no Henkyou Ryoushusama. I disagree with your assertion that it isn't good or interesting, but it is a slice of life story so I definitely understand if the pace isn't to your taste.

Brought To You By posted:

I don't need it to be science fiction, but are there any isekai that do feature traveling to different worlds sort of like Stargate, Star Trek, or even Sliders? I feel like it's a missed opportunity especially since serialization would work hand in hand with jumping to various locations for both episodic adventures but overarching ones.

First one that comes to mind is "I Got a New Skill Every Time I Was Exiled, and After 100 Different Worlds, I Was Unmatched" WN / Manga where the central concept is the MC going back through the 100 different worlds a 2nd time to get a better ending.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

First one that comes to mind is "I Got a New Skill Every Time I Was Exiled, and After 100 Different Worlds, I Was Unmatched" WN / Manga where the central concept is the MC going back through the 100 different worlds a 2nd time to get a better ending.
First 4 chapters of the manga were good enough that I'll continue on with the web novel. I like that the hero party we are introduced too had a completely valid reason to want to dismiss the MC but it was all according to plan and he left them with incredibly valuable tools and training tips before leaving on good terms. The fact that his continued dismissals might have had adverse affects will be an interesting dilemma to examine.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
read a bit of the both the novel and manga version sof 'The Academy's Undercover Professor'

I always quite dug the professor/magic teacher settings, but man, I started rapidly losing interest right at the start of the first major arc with the werewolves.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

GateOfD posted:

read a bit of the both the novel and manga version sof 'The Academy's Undercover Professor'

I always quite dug the professor/magic teacher settings, but man, I started rapidly losing interest right at the start of the first major arc with the werewolves.

probably because the story was incredibly dully predictable

just ask yourself "whats the most cliche possible development" for every scene and story arc and then the author did exactly that

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
stories based on deception are boring when no one is ever even slightly capable of seeing through anything the mc does. it's just some rear end in a top hat going around doing whatever he wants without facing any meaningful opposition.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I liked the setup of it. The magi-punk world is interesting, his assumed identity being some secret society executive is a good twist and in the first few chapters there’s a great sense that things could go disastrously wrong at any moment.

But it never does.

Instead, it quickly pivots to him effortlessly clowning on people. But it still wastes people’s time pretending he’s an underdog. It feels like if he got into a fight with Johnny Smallfry or THE KING OF ALL DEMONS, it would take the exact same number of chapters to resolve, just he’d have to pop more pills in the latter scenario. The only person who feels like any threat to him is the academy principal, who he’ll probably manage to keep as an ally anyway.

It also feels like his schemes don’t really make sense and things kind of just happen arbitrarily:

I will destroy this gang (okay) to bring all the other criminal groups to heel (?) and turn them into legitimate businesses (??) that somehow make more money (???).

I’ll kill a werewolf with fire (okay) then kill this gang with fire (??) despite being able to use every element (???) and when the authorities investigate any connection I’ll throw them off using a plastic hand covering during a handshake (????)

Or when it introduces his own secret group of super special subordinates. And it’s unclear what any of them do* since the guy can do everything himself. Or why they were even following him.
*Except the engineer girl who makes his gadgets.

I don’t hate it, but I do think it squanders most of its potential. Even with all those flaws it might still be okay if it felt like the MC had to work for his wins and had a clear goal in mind.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well he does have a goal, but it's comprised maybe 2% of the comic's runtime so far and he barely has any idea how to complete it, so kind of gives the impression the story is going to drag on an arbitrary amount of time.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 11, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
I was really with the idea when he started the first class, and wanted him raising the students similar to stories like 'The S-class heroes I raised' or even 'The Returners' magic should be special'

but it seems like he's just doing the side jobs and the students see him in the middle of it and go 'wow, he's so mysterious and strong'

maybe later arcs will have that, but as I said, the first major arc was a downgrade for my expectations.

In other isekai news, went to Barnes & Noble and picked up vol1 of 'The Other Worlder Exploring the Dungeon' vol1.
Read the first few pages and liked the prose enough.
'

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
now i'm reminded of kill the hero, a bog standard korean regression wn with the usual levels, gates and guilds. the mc assumes a false identity, then props up his original identity, then engages in a bunch more subterfuge including faking the death of both of these identities multiple times each. eventually he reaches the arbitrary power level to achieve his goal, so he does it. the end. at no point does anyone even question that there might be something up with this guy. even the embarrassing number of fake deaths are taken at face value by everyone in the entire world.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I started reading that isekai where the MC can kill anyone/anything with just a word, and it's more interesting than I thought it'd be. I'm a couple dozen chapters in and I like how it's turned into oh poo poo, the people who yanked that busload of kids into their world to create more "sages" accidentally happened to pull in the Grim loving Reaper in human form, the literal manifestation of death itself, able to kill literally anything regardless of their power or status with a single word, and not a single person understands this until it's too late

It reminds me of One Punch Man with it introducing characters, their motivations, backstories, dramas, etc and it means gently caress all since he just says "die" and that's it lol

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

It reminds me of One Punch Man with it introducing characters, their motivations, backstories, dramas, etc and it means gently caress all since he just says "die" and that's it lol

You haven't even begun to see the silliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Captain Invictus posted:

I started reading that isekai where the MC can kill anyone/anything with just a word, and it's more interesting than I thought it'd be. I'm a couple dozen chapters in and I like how it's turned into oh poo poo, the people who yanked that busload of kids into their world to create more "sages" accidentally happened to pull in the Grim loving Reaper in human form, the literal manifestation of death itself, able to kill literally anything regardless of their power or status with a single word, and not a single person understands this until it's too late

Something nice about this one is that it's centered around a core romance and it takes both sides of the romance seriously. It's not perfect but the female lead is very much the deuteragonist, and she has a strong dynamic with the main character, with her as the everywoman (despite her own ridiculous background) and him as the mysterious, vaguely tragic love interest. I think that's one of the things that makes it rise above its compatriots.