Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

quote:

In the year 2063, travelling through space has become commonplace. Eight students from Caird High School, along with one child, set out for a school camp on a nearby planet. However, the students are then mysteriously transported 5,000 light years away from home, with no way to call for help. Aboard an abandoned spaceship they call the Astra, these nine students slowly try to make their way back and figure out why they were transported in the first place.

Astra Lost in Space is based on a manga by Kenta Shinohara (published by Shueisha, licensed by Viz Media). It's a sci-fi/adventure/drama/mystery kind of story. The anime is made by studio Lerche, directed by Masaomi Ando. It's streamed on FUNimation.

Characters

Kanata Hashijima (Yoshimasa Hosoya)

Our valiant hero and fearless leader of the group. A kind of guy who'd die first in a horror movie. Has PTSD after an unfortunate hiking trip.

Aries Spring (Inori Minase)

Cutesy, ditzy, pink-haired airhead. People say she can't read the room. Has photographic memory and occasionally sounds like a chipmunk.

Zack Walker (Shunsuke Takeuchi)

Super genius with 200 IQ and mom of the group. He pilots the Astra.

Quitterie Raffaeli (Tomoyo Kurosawa)

Rich bossy whiny chick. Don't let that fool you, though - like ogres, she has layers. Has medical knowledge.

Funicia Raffaeli (Hina Kino)

Quitterie's little sister, her main objective is being cute. She's also a ventriloquist and her puppet sounds like an old man.

Ulgar Zweig (Kouki Uchiyama)

He's an emo kid and has terrible people skills. What mysteries lay behind that bang?

Charce Lacroix (Nobunaga Shimazaki)

Perfect husbando material. He likes to cook, is passionate about xenobiology and will sweep you off your feet!

Luca Esposito (Risae Matsuda)

A boy who's good with his hands and has artistic soul. Tries to be the doofus of the group but there are just too many of them here.

Yun-Hua Lu (Saori Hayami)

Shy, quiet, low self-esteem. There are no books in space so she can't just hide with one in the corner.

Because it's a mystery story, no spoilers please.

macabresca fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm waiting until a few more episodes come out before binging this show-I haven't read the original manga, but heard it was quite decent. The thing that gave me pause from jumping in right away was the weird scene composition in episode 1- that kind of stuff drives me crazy, so I was wondering how the rest of the show has handled letterboxing and the like so far.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Basically they go with wider screen in all "inside" scenes, while the space is filmed in normal ratio. Yeah, it's weird. I appreciate the concept behind it and kinda got used to it by the 3 ep, but I can see why people wouldn't like it

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
The 21:9 scenes annoy me because I actually have a 21:9 monitor. I get black borders all around the picture when it goes ultrawide. It would be great if Hulu would put up an encode that pillarboxed the 16:9 scenes instead.

But the real problem I'm having with this show is the plot. As of episode 3, they're all like, oh no, ~the killer is among us~. Then they realize that makes no sense because because all of them got sucked into the wormhole and also none of them are dead, yet, so they're like ~~the killer is willing to take themselves out too~~.

These kids are stupid. That's the real plot, right? They're just getting themselves worked up in a paranoid frenzy?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Well, don't wanna spoil too much but the story seems to be more concerned with kids' survival with limited supplies, weird ecosystems they come across and multiple life-threatening situations. They do try to solve the mystery, but the emphasis is more on adventure and exploration. Characters seem pretty cliche at first, but up close they turn out to be quite complex. (that's just my take on show's atmosphere and what is the focus of the story, no major plot reveals, covering just in case)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the show stopped to handwave the killer stuff almost immediately this week so don't hope for a resolution on it anytime soon. no reason to expect it to be a fakeout though, they have proof that the sabotage on the ship was done recently enough that it had to be a member of their team.

anyway, the gloopies own. so glad they're here

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Idk anything about this show but it sounds like anime Star Trek voyager so I’ll pick it up

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

dogsicle posted:

anyway, the gloopies own. so glad they're here

This whole planet owns

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
My OCD wouldn't let me go so I changed all the images in the op. I wonder, should I be updating character information with more spoilery stuff (with tags) or just leave this as is?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

apparently by letting the ED play in the background i missed a bunch of little bonding moments/mementos like this, oops

this ep was definitely the second of the one-two punch moments in the manga that hooked me on the series though. sudden cut back to the parents, political intrigue, lots of weird science stuff being brought up by both groups...i had only been thinking about the series as a survival thing but i guess they kinda lull you into that state by having the characters stop caring about the assassin stuff

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
chiming in to claim the title of #1 Luca Fan

The characters are cute and lost-in-space stories are always cool, so I'm excited after watching the first episode. Anyone who's read the manga have any opinions on the anime adaptation versus the manga?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cephas posted:

chiming in to claim the title of #1 Luca Fan

The characters are cute and lost-in-space stories are always cool, so I'm excited after watching the first episode. Anyone who's read the manga have any opinions on the anime adaptation versus the manga?

the manga integrates the humor better imo, and it also has some really fun 4koma strips after each chapter that haven't been fully adapted since the anime is trying to cover everything big in a single cour. mostly the fast pace isn't an issue, they've hit all the important stuff and only cut small bits of day-to-day exploration or survival. i think the voice actors and stylistic choices add a lot to the material though, so it's been an enjoyable watch even though i read the manga recently.

notable difference i like, the comedy faces the anime has where they get cute little button eyes aren't from the manga, though the manga has it's own goofy expressions. manga beego is much cuter...

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

This show gets better every week. I just thought of the cast as run of the mill in the first episode but they've largely been endearing themselves to me more and more. Did not see the Luca intersex reveal coming but it felt like it was handled fairly well. The cliffhanger is interesting and I'm curious if it'll be another red herring.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
MILD THING

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tir McDohl posted:

Did not see the Luca intersex reveal coming but it felt like it was handled fairly well.

I suspected that something was up when he continued wearing a vest during the swimsuit episode.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Mild Thing is good, this show is good, Luca is best.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Don't they have genetic screening for medical problems in this setting? The government is considering a full genetic registry for the entire population like that isn't even a technical hurdle, just a matter of deciding whether to do it or not. Usually, in sci-fi settings like that, everyone knows in advance what kinds of conditions they're at risk for. Nobody gets surprised by medical issues caused by genetic factors.

Maybe I'm expecting a bit much from the series where you need constant thrust to move through space, and everyone keeps taking their helmets off even after all of them were almost poisoned to death by alien spores.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Oh, anyone knowledgeable enough about Japanese to explain the wordplay that the sub rendered "illuminate/eliminate"?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just watched the first three episodes. It's good! I already have some theories:

• Even though Funicia is supposed to be adopted, she just happens to have the exact same hair and skin color as Quitterie. Obviously they're blood-related somehow (half-siblings? clones?).
  • Almost everyone in the group had the opportunity to let everyone die by inaction at some point, but didn't take it (Ulgar shooting the bird, Zack checking the planet list, etc.). The only obvious exception that comes to mind is Yun-Hua, and having the character who hasn't really done anything but curl up in the corner and panic be the traitor would be a boring twist. I'm starting to think that the saboteur isn't simply trying to kill everyone; maybe the secret purpose of the whole thing is some kind of unethical scientific research or something. And/or the hand puppet is actually some kind of evil robot and is the traitor; the would explain why it talks like an "old man" despite being ventriloquized by a 10-year-old, and perhaps the coincidence of the puppet's show and the group both being called B-5. Plus evil mascots have been a thing in anime since at least Madoka.

Edit: Episode 4 has Yunhua save everyone too.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 10, 2019

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Silver2195 posted:

why it talks like an "old man" despite being ventriloquized by a 10-year-old

I thought they explained in the first episode that it's not actually ventriloquism, it's some kind of brain-to-speech interface where Funicia thinks of what she wants him to say, uses her hand to open and close his mouth, and a computer synthesizes the lines into the character's voice.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Anshu posted:

I thought they explained in the first episode that it's not actually ventriloquism, it's some kind of brain-to-speech interface where Funicia thinks of what she wants him to say, uses her hand to open and close his mouth, and a computer synthesizes the lines into the character's voice.

I don't remember that being stated directly. But that doesn't preclude it having intelligence of its own.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 10, 2019

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Anshu posted:

Oh, anyone knowledgeable enough about Japanese to explain the wordplay that the sub rendered "illuminate/eliminate"?
Not really wordplay.

The correct sentence was:
B-5に入れて、一斉殺処分
bii go ni irete, issei satsushobun
Which means "Put [her] in B-5 and put [them] all down together". According to my dictionary, the word 殺処分, they translated as eliminate is really only used to refer to killing animals because they're dangerous or sick.

What Funicia understood was :
Biigo niirete isseisa shobun
Except for the B-5 (which she interpreted as the name of her doll), that's just gibberish, and the other characters react accordingly ("what does that even mean" / "makes no sense")

Tamba fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 10, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I don't remember that being stated directly. But that doesn't preclude it having intelligence of its own.

It's probably possessed by an alien.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Why is it always backward names? Are anagrams not good enough?
Brain damage could explain why she has trouble with words.

The era system is also throwing me off since episode one, when the old woman said she went on a space school trip when it's 2063.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well the latest episode made it seem like they're building off an alternate history since they talk about a one world government being set up and all the nations being dissolved in 1963.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

lol I totally missed it

But what are the names in Japanese? If they're just transliterations seems like it would be much harder to spot.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Sindai posted:

lol I totally missed it

But what are the names in Japanese? If they're just transliterations seems like it would be much harder to spot.

Missed it as well :ughh:
Aries is アリエス( a ri e su ), and I'm assuming Seira would be セイラ( se i ra ), so it's not quite as obvious in japanese.
I'm saying 'assume', because Seira isn't actually in the credits for this episode, even though Soldier A & B and Noble A & B are :tinfoil:

I was listening to the Konosuba web radio show when that was airing, and one of the listeners wanted to know who was voicing Chomusuke (the cat).
The answer was "I won't tell you, but here's a hint: Someone not being credited for their work on an episode really doesn't happen. But if someone does a bit part in addition to their main role, that's sometimes omitted..."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tamba posted:

Missed it as well :ughh:
Aries is アリエス( a ri e su ), and I'm assuming Seira would be セイラ( se i ra ), so it's not quite as obvious in japanese.
I'm saying 'assume', because Seira isn't actually in the credits for this episode, even though Soldier A & B and Noble A & B are :tinfoil:

They also went out of their way to hide her face as much as possible, plus she "moved away" so even-odds are Aries developed TV amnesia and forgot her past from before whenever she woke up and probably had her name changed.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aries developed TV amnesia

I think those pods on her head are more than fashion accessories.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Tamba posted:

Seira's VA definitely sounded like Aries' VA to me.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Good timing, getting another crew just as we've learned of everyone's backgrounds. Actually... no we're missing Aries' aren't we. (Or there's a hole in it.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maxwell Adams posted:

I think those pods on her head are more than fashion accessories.

Oooh, good point. I wonder if her photographic memory is because they're external storage to bypass whatever mess was made of her brain.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oooh, good point. I wonder if her photographic memory is because they're external storage to bypass whatever mess was made of her brain.

She's a giant Beego.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I wonder if Aries' slight heterochromia has something to do with all of that also.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Btw, did you guys notice that resolution changes in emotional moments as well? I think Yun Hua's singing was in full resolution, anything else?

As for last ep, Vixia is stupid

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Makatka posted:

Btw, did you guys notice that resolution changes in emotional moments as well? I think Yun Hua's singing was in full resolution, anything else?

Kanata jumping to save Funicia

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Right, I wouldn't be surprised if all heroic Kanata scenes were like this since he always must be in centre of attention :/ Also maybe Ulgar's angsty shout to the sky? It fits

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Astra is really nailing the comedy this week. Also, a handful of interesting plot developments.

It isn't polygamy if all your wives are the same person.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Just noticed this in the opening now

None of the other names are upside down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tamba posted:

Just noticed this in the opening now

None of the other names are upside down

loving dammit :cripes:.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Astra is really nailing the comedy this week.

"...or Sci-Fi Anime and Comedy Anime" "..Huh?" :allears: