Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout

I'm resurrecting this thread where last summer I went exploring local places at the suggestion of the thread. Info in the OP over there, go check it out, come back, and suggest a place!

Unvisited suggestions carried over:
Samphire Hoe, with bonus request to visit a geocache while there - Manifisto
Wye Memorial Crown - Barking Gecko
Conningbrook Lakes Country Park - Twenty Four
"follow the dotted line coming from dover" - The Real Amethyst
A chalk pit in Wye national nature reserve - Hugh Malone
Molash - Bacon Taco
Some mostly unexplored dene holes - twoday
Backup dene holes - twoday
A "Small Pilgrim Place" in Wychling - twoday
Another "Small Pilgrim Place" - twoday
The Denge Wood Earthworks - twoday
An ancient tumulus in King’s Wood - twoday
The Coppice Cloud Chamber, also in King's Wood - twoday

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

I guess my suggestion from the old thread stands?

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
woot!

"chalk pit" might not sound very interesting, but I bet it looks cool from ground level and there also appear to be some old foundations or stuff from an old chalk mine there

I like old stuff

Jaded Burnout

Twenty Four posted:

I guess my suggestion from the old thread stands?

Yeah sorry I put it up there but forgot to add your name.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
here's an article about the pit, with directions for the easiest approach. also you can find brachiopod fossils there!

https://ukfossils.co.uk/2012/01/24/wye-downs/

alnilam

I loved that thread ty for reviving it

ty manifisto

Jaded Burnout

alnilam posted:

I loved that thread ty for reviving it

The summer draws me out, like a wurrum

Finger Prince

This makes me miss living in the You Kay and going on these kinds of explorings on my motorbike. I once rode to Sandwich (just above Worth on your map for other folk wondering) to see if I could actually get a sandwich, in Sandwich, and I was bitterly disappointed.
So if you're up that way, maybe you can do better than I did (ie one of those sad triangle boxed sandwiches from a Tesco metro or something because it was Sunday afternoon and nothing was open and it seemed the locals couldn't give a drat about sandwiches).
But failing that maybe you can go, I dunno, to Pett Bottom?
Canterbury CT4 6EH, UK
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Hm9FGm3uHZJwiD3k9

Manifisto

it is off your map but apparently not so far (google calls it 32 minutes from ashford), you could visit kit's coty house in aylesford

I dunno, visiting a prehistoric barrow seems kinda cool

also if you happen to like cheese I imagine you could find someplace that makes good cheese in the traditional manner, that would be worth a trip imo, check out the scenery and the browsing cows/sheep/etc to make sure they're happy

the "great british cheese map" shows these cheeses in sort of your area-ish (spelling probably butchered, hard to read the handwriting):

* saint giles
* wealdway
* lord london
* lord of the hundreds
* chabis
* winterdale
* smoked wedmore
* scrumpy sussex
* isle of avalon
* wigmore
* waterloo
* spenwood
* tornegus
* olde sussex
* sussex blue
* flower marie
* sussex crumble
* golden cross
* tunworth
* ashdown foresters

. . . and plenty more not that that far away. that's enough for at least a couple of monty python sketches.

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

* scrumpy sussex

ty manifisto

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

woah, scrumpy is farm fresh alcoholic cider afaik. maybe there's apple in the chiz?

alnilam

it sounds like something willy wonka would make if he got into the booze game, which he totally should

ty manifisto

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

alnilam posted:

it sounds like something willy wonka would make if he got into the booze game, which he totally should

whaddaya think Charlie and Grampa drank that got em high and gave em the hiccups ;)

alnilam

*long burp* grandpa... Im fukken off me rear end m8. pissed. i love ya m8

ty manifisto

Manifisto

Hugh Malone posted:

woah, scrumpy is farm fresh alcoholic cider afaik. maybe there's apple in the chiz?

nice factoid, I thought it was colloquial for "scrumptious." yes there's cider in it! as well as herbs and wild garlic. sounds really good imo, agree that jaded burnout needs to get some and post a trip report. drinking scrumpy along with the cheese seems obligatory.

https://www.stamfordcheese.com/product/scrumpy-sussex-cheese/

ty nesamdoom!

Jaded Burnout

Well this doesn't look good.

Oh no.

Well there is a lake..

But that's all you can see of it. The yuppies have moved in.

Not so good. Looks like it'll be navigable at some point, but I wouldn't put it past them to lock it off to residents.

This is the only lake you can access

Let's try another one then.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Molash - Bacon Taco

Whoops, got a bit lost.

But getting lost can help you find nice things.

Right so back on the right track, the route to Molash takes me up a nice drive that I do from time to time, a hill climb past King's Wood.

Molash at last! Oh.

Well this is a bit nicer.

A nice chill before heading home.

alnilam

Bummer about the lake what a bunch of bullshit closing off a drat park :mad:

nice other pics tho!

ty manifisto

Jaded Burnout

alnilam posted:

nice other pics tho!

The other half of it is I think a country club, so, yeah.

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood

alnilam posted:

nice other pics tho!

seriously real estate developers should be murdered along with ad men and the police.

crimes

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
glad you're getting out, exploring and enjoying your holiday :)

Manifisto

v nice pix, ty!

Twenty Four

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well this doesn't look good.

Oh no.

Dang man it wasn't like this on google maps when I looked it up the first time a year ago or whatever. It looked like all nice pictures and good times. The satellite image still looked the same. Sorry about that!

Goons Are Gifts

That's some good rear end journey!!

Jaded Burnout

Twenty Four posted:

Dang man it wasn't like this on google maps when I looked it up the first time a year ago or whatever. It looked like all nice pictures and good times. The satellite image still looked the same. Sorry about that!

No worries, I looked at the same sat photos before setting off. "huh there's a quarry there". Nope I guess it was the early stages of building the houses.

Twenty Four

Jaded Burnout posted:

No worries, I looked at the same sat photos before setting off. "huh there's a quarry there". Nope I guess it was the early stages of building the houses.

I will try to find you something else, though it is not like you don't already have enough on your plate. Thank you though, I still enjoy your travels!

Manifisto

one day we will have a trip report from samphire hoe, and it will be glorious

one day

ty nesamdoom!

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Sorry for the bad destination choice! I'm just a silly Yank and I even think I was drunk when I typed that. My bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout

Manifisto posted:

one day we will have a trip report from samphire hoe, and it will be glorious

one day

:agreed:

I didn't want to drive to Dover that day

Bacon Taco posted:

Sorry for the bad destination choice! I'm just a silly Yank and I even think I was drunk when I typed that. My bad!

It's all good