Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im ngl this thread went a lot better than I thought it was going to go

e: i cant wait to spend years relentlessly making GBS threads on rho and their game on release am I right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
My strongly worded templates are all queued up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So colonies were settled via slowboats, then FTL was invented and all these far-seperated planets and cultures are suddenly being thrown together again?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

The Lone Badger posted:

So colonies were settled via slowboats, then FTL was invented and all these far-seperated planets and cultures are suddenly being thrown together again?

Sort of. There were already some colonies settled via slowboats, but then FTL was invented and colonisation went from "slow spread" to "giant explosion they can't keep track of"

So now you have humans way across the other side of the galaxy and some have totally forgotten where they even came from

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i demand the ability to turn my dog into a cyberdog

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Rhopunzel posted:

Sort of. There were already some colonies settled via slowboats, but then FTL was invented and colonisation went from "slow spread" to "giant explosion they can't keep track of"

So now you have humans way across the other side of the galaxy and some have totally forgotten where they even came from

Yeah, and they could’ve forgotten accidentally or deliberately. Many variations here!

Having colonization methods both of FTL and slowboat opens tons of possibilities for different human cultures. Obviously you’d have the usual groups fleeing persecution or trying to start a new life (exploration fever!), but you also can have groups looking to return to some idealistic human timeframe. Victorian era cosplayers run away to form a steampunk colony. Hippies form a minimal technology commune - or attempt to completely return to primitive era. Then there’s the effect of being on a slow boat for generations (unless there’s some sort of cryostasis, which may or may not function fully (more quests for player to fix things!)) on culture and psyche, and maybe even space living communities.

Religious sects, political/social ideologies, exiled scientific teams, or heck even space Australia (ie sending convicts offworld to work).

There’s not too much need for humanoid alien races because of the variety of human cultures that can exist. That’s why aliens that are alien in every way works - humans can be weird enough.

Maybe for the cultures that embrace rejection of technological progress that wearing or using tech makes them avoid you, whereas checking them out from orbit and fitting an appropriate disguise means you can try to fit in while exploring so they don’t immediately reject you.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I always get kinda bummed when a sci-fi thing spends a lot of time with low-tech humans. I like to see a particle beam or some cool spaceships or something. I guess there's a way to do it right, but off the bat it just doesn't grab me.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Galaxander posted:

I always get kinda bummed when a sci-fi thing spends a lot of time with low-tech humans. I like to see a particle beam or some cool spaceships or something. I guess there's a way to do it right, but off the bat it just doesn't grab me.

I know what you mean but I'm a near future kind of guy. I like the tech to be somewhat grounded otherwise it may as well be magic.

Also been thinking about names. I kind of like blunt titles in games like: "Cosmic: Friends in Space" or really any synonym of outer space instead of cosmic.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

I know what you mean but I'm a near future kind of guy. I like the tech to be somewhat grounded otherwise it may as well be magic.

Also been thinking about names. I kind of like blunt titles in games like: "Cosmic: Friends in Space" or really any synonym of outer space instead of cosmic.
I think "embrace rejection of technological progress" is more along the lines of "let's throw all our advanced technology in the trash and go back to being medieval", which... yeah, why would you even want to land on the planet in the first place? Either go somewhere uninhabited if you want to mine something so you don't need to deal with them, or go to somewhere that has something useful to trade for.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Further Reaches

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You could also have it where the people live in a renaissance era while the ruling class - supposedly also living in renaissance era? - uses technology to maintain their hold on power and/or blunt disasters to the people. Somewhat like the Firefly series of central planets having massive tech with outer colonies living like the old west.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I like the kind of future represented in Her, where there may be significant technological progress in the background but for the average person, phones are just really smart and you just kind of don't have to wear a belt anymore because of Pants Advancement.

You know, Next Sunday A.D. stuff

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Babe Magnet posted:

I like the kind of future represented in Her, where there may be significant technological progress in the background but for the average person, phones are just really smart and you just kind of don't have to wear a belt anymore because of Pants Advancement.

You know, Next Sunday A.D. stuff

That's a good take. I do like it when it's a bit more industrial and grungy as opposed to the clean aesthetics in the movie Her. But I do prefer that more than a Star Wars aesthetic.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

That's a good take. I do like it when it's a bit more industrial and grungy as opposed to the clean aesthetics in the movie Her. But I do prefer that more than a Star Wars aesthetic.

What's the Star Wars aesthetic? Mud huts juxtaposed to landing pads?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

HelloSailorSign posted:

I don't think the star wars movies were consistent enough to have just one aesthetic, really. The prequel and original trilogies were pretty different, after all.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

HelloSailorSign posted:

I would say that they certainly have their own aesthetic. I'd call it something like retro-futuristic which seems paradoxical but I think makes sense.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Galaxander posted:

We're not really going to focus a whole lot on them, and the player's progression is going to throw you into making modern stuff almost off of the bat. The option to use primitive weapons/tools will mostly be there as a gimmick.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Will you have predetermined factions, procedurally generated factions, or some kind of mix?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

Will you have predetermined factions, procedurally generated factions, or some kind of mix?

Predetermined most likely. I'm not a fan of using procgen for something as complex and delicate as that.

Procgen has its uses - generally I see it as something to accent original ideas with, not replace them. Almost every time anyone's tried to do that it's fallen flat.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

But will art descriptions still be able to make a trio of weasels playing backgammon in a cubist style while the smiling face of a dentist watches over all?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Procgen art descriptions are very good it's true.

I'm curious what the combat's going to be like, I think you said gun-heavy so I'm guessing maybe something like cortex command? Only hopefully less janky.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Procgen art descriptions are very good it's true.

I'm curious what the combat's going to be like, I think you said gun-heavy so I'm guessing maybe something like cortex command? Only hopefully less janky.

Soldat meets Nuclear Throne

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't think I've ever played either of those alas :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh, how are you planning to have the tech tree advance? In Terraria you can basically build anything the instant you get the materials and appropriate crafting station for it, although some materials only become available after beating certain bosses. And starbound, from glancing at its wiki, is much the same, except with more intermediary crafting station upgrades and harder restrictions on where you can go.

Are you going to need to actually do research or obtain blueprints/knowledge in order to make more advanced things?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

OwlFancier posted:

Don't think I've ever played either of those alas :v:

The soldat part has me genuinely hype

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I looked it up and cortex command is not dissimilar the big difference is mobility of the player character.

I'm not very good at high speed shooters but hopefully there'll be options for the cack handed.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Rhopunzel posted:

Soldat meets Nuclear Throne

will I be able to hide in a bush with a barrett m82

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For a perfect example of procgen done well, check out goonmade Caves of Qud. Even the histories of the world in each playthrough are done like that and it's wonderful.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, caves of qud does it nicely in that there's plenty of solid aspects that aren't procgen but then there's 'fluff' kinda aspects that are and it makes each run have a bit of extra flavor without turning it into wacky mush

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For a perfect example of procgen done well, check out goonmade Caves of Qud. Even the histories of the world in each playthrough are done like that and it's wonderful.

yeah I legit just read some of it sometimes

it can make some awesome stories

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

I like the way RimWorld uses procgen - it's fun for fluff and interesting reading.

If you can't tell, this game is far more influenced by RimWorld than Starbound developmentally.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Once we get to that stage (we aren't there yet, code-wise), procedural campaigns should be doable. This is not a promise of anything, but support for them is definitely within the realms of the current design plan because of the way current Biome subdivisions are planned. Whether they'll be included or not, the concept is definitely within the realm of possibility, but right now there are more immediate priorities (for me at least).

Also, as for fluff - I have a decent chunk of experience at intertwining procedurally generated fluff and flavor. This is from an older project I worked, where the item names/description/graphic were random and intertwined. The display on the box and the description was based on the name of the item which was also random. The three systems were random, but constrained by boundaries of the branch above it.

I pretty much enjoy working on grammar systems and methods of smart-intertwining different elements. Needless to say I'm also a huge fan of Rimworld because of how well it does that. My goal right now as I develop the TerrainGen is to make the API as open as possible to this kind of fluff as well as deeper customization.

The Lead Dev already thinks in terms of cascades and since I think in terms of trees and branches, our designs align very well. I hope you will all be pleased with the things to come.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 2, 2019

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm the Unacceptable Dump

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

That’s neat.

The way I was thinking about procedurally generated would be an expansion of what happens in Rimworld for factions. I’ve also been playing Avorion which has very bare bones proc gen of the factions (the names often seem like gibberish to me), but includes traits that means the faction could react in a certain way.

So instead of just, “rough outlander union” vs peaceful, you could have a rough outlander union that is sadistic, mistrustful, and greedy - almost pirates but who you could actually negotiate with, but you need to prove your worth (probably by bringing goods or killing someone they don’t like) fast. Or, you could have a rough outlander union that’s honorable, combative, and mistrustful, and they basically function as some sort of honor soldier operation where they consider random killing, even of enemies of theirs, as possibly bad depending on how the player interacts with them.

Certain base design considerations and equipment that is observed, as well as seeing their actions in the field, gives hints as to who and what they are prior to the player rolling up and asking questions (which may or may not be well received). A well equipped but sadistic military operation might carry ornate, well cared for, somewhat neurotically sharpened, knives and other bladed weapons to finish off enemies. In contrast, a poorly equipped, sadistic, pirate operation would have rugged/beat up/well used or wasteland-like, yet wickedly sharp, knives and other bladed weapons. The player could then try to figure out who they are dealing with by finding gear by killing scouts themselves or finding corpses on a battlefield rather than just wandering up to an encampment or having some predetermined knowledge of who is good and bad.

Side note, if there are faction standings it’d be neat if it wasn’t “shoot a dude insta faction loss” if you kill them before they can tell somebody else about you. Either that means killing the comms carrier, killing all before a message is sent, or applying a jammer to a local area (natural or artificial).

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Something that always bothered me in these types of games was how the player interacted with lighting in general. It seems to be overlooked, and I personally don't understand why with all this good technology and imagination possible. Maybe they're a bitch to implement, or nobody really thought about it too hard, or players complained about sight all the time, or just as easily that I didn't play the right games. My experiences often required me to place an object (torch, lamp, burning rocks from hell, liquid magma, etc) to see, or equip a light source that takes away precious inventory spaces/equipment slots, ends up being mostly useless because it isn't enough, or something far more important needed that slot, really high in the tech-tree, or simply solved all lighting issues forever. None of those sound very appealing for "meaningful interactions", and once you had the objectively-most-useful one, there was no point thinking about it anymore. Also, I get really sick of removing my own placed light sources all the time digging or building or having to replace them because some explosion/physics/mob came up and decided that light-object needed the loving fury.

So my question is this: What sort of light sources are planned? I like what was said about ambient surface lighting (here's hoping for day/night cycles as well, and possibly even cycling at different speeds on different planets). Placeable lights are all a no-brainer; things such as bases, homes, structures, well-travelled pathways and such require them. Flares, explosions and fire, all are things too, but it sounds like you're wanting players to hit the ground in relative modern convenience. And it makes little sense for an intrepid space explorer disastronaut cosmo-friend pressurized pal player to slam torches or cheap lights every 15~20 blocks with no permanent intent for the area. I'm also aware that you're trying to make things diverse and give players meaningful choices, and I'd hate to see a simple catch-all permalight as the "convenient" solution to this not-really-a-problem-but-actually-might-be? It's minor, still.

Regardless, I'd like to offer a suggestion: A specialized piece of equipment (its own equipment slot) that offers a certain specialized type of personal lighting system. Flares should exist, but not be here in this slot. Those should be an ammo type or their own throwable item (and please make them last longer than 10 seconds, gently caress you Starbound). I'm thinking more along the likes of shoulder-mounted "smartlights", or hovering drones that light up an area based on mouselook. Could be a toggle on/off/strobe/rave button! Some types could be high-intensity, but in a narrower cone of directional lightning. A specialized "mining" light that penetrates terrain better than other forms, but offers less light level to make it easier to identify resources embedded in the ground. Another could be a "standard" open, ambient-style lighting that lights a radius around the player, but the lack of focus means the player's overall light radius is limited. Another type could be a wide cone, offering superior directional lighting in a wide area, but consequently short ranged. Ideally I'd see it as making the player decide what type of lighting they'd prefer for a given task or scenario, with each type having their own pros and cons. Meaningful choices about lighting, that don't force a player to slap light sources on every surface, or carry an offhand flashlight all the time, or a magical eye that solves all your sight for you! But the key thing to take away is that with the direction the game is taking, and considering the thought Igloosoft is putting into everything, I kinda feel like players should have to think about the type of light they want to use for their purpose, and isn't forced to carry a million objects or sacrifice valuable equipment for it. I understand streamlining it too, but I feel like the choice of lighting available to players should matter more than "this light makes more light than the lower-tier one", and doesn't force them to dedicate a slot to a stack of 500 torches/cheap lights/photon emitters. Not that either of those doesn't work, of course, but that it becomes a chore/is less-engaging than having to think about those options sometimes.

I would also say you don't want to reach a decision where it should just be some innate thing everyone has rather than a thing the players consciously think about. That would sorta defeat the purpose of any sort of dynamic lightning.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Is this EGS exclusive?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You're more or less describing terraria there.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

A Pleasant Hug posted:

Some types could be high-intensity, but in a narrower cone of directional lightning.
Starbound had flashlights, and they... weren't very useful because it turns out in this kind of game you need the ability to see all around you. EDIT: also them taking up a hand didn't help.

EDIT: Terraria does have a dedicated equipment slot for light pets, though, although they're not very useful until hardmode ones, particularly the ones which don't lag behind you.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 2, 2019

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Cavauro posted:

Is this EGS exclusive?

Maybe if they make the right offer! We’re looking at our options but we’re most likely going with self distribution unless we get an incredible offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Rhopunzel posted:

Maybe if they make the right offer! We’re looking at our options but we’re most likely going with self distribution unless we get an incredible offer.

Keep at it, EGS will throw money at you.