Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Just as Star Trek: Borg had the best line John de Lancie would ever speak as Q ("THE BORG ARE FIRING!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!! ...And it's your fault!") this game has (one of) Robert O'Reilly's all-time greatest Gowron moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Now I'm curious how many tries it took to get past one specific "puzzle" in Borg.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
The autogenerated subtitles on YouTube... don't exactly handle Klingon all that well, (un?)fortunately.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

That depends, some of them I had to repeat as the cursor selection was very janky and it wouldn't let me select something.

I'll put the relevant puzzle in spoilers.

After punching out Furlong, you pick up his phaser, turn it upside down, and have about a second and a half to press the very prominent button on the back before you turn it back over and give it back to him. Too bad for you the hotspot for the button isn't very accurate. Get used to hearing "They've adapted to our phaser settings... (ZAP) Arrrgh!" "(Zot) Urrrrgh!" a bunch.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Going through the first video, I gotta say Poq's uncles (I think they're his uncles? They're the two Klingons who headbutt each other, insult the rokeg blood pie, and talk about "a liquid spice called 'wodka'") are loving awesome.

Speaking of which, that was most definitely a reference to Worf's foster mother, Helena Rozhenko.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

(Poq fucks up over and over)

This I must quote for posterity as the greatest Gowron moment:

Gowron >>=( posted:

Are you sick?! Injured?! Surely you can move faster than that! What is the matter?! Do you not understand what is being said to you?! Try again! Faster! FASTER! *FASTERRRRRRRRRR!*

Before YouTube nuked the annotations feature, someone uploaded gameplay videos, including the four "stand around and do nothing" failures. Apparently when Gowron presses the painstik into his palm, you the player were supposed to receive an 80 volt shock through your mouse. Not sure about the veracity of that, though.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
T'Val's speech near the end (she's Voq's wife; you and Gowron allow her to speak upon your return to Tanga'niqa) has a glitch at about 18:18 when she says "He would never allow a guest, Gowron of all guests, to be--".

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
One of the nice things about this game, even though it was late 90s-era FMV gaming, is that Gowron does heap on the praise for making the right choices (and even if you screw up, he just goes delightfully over the top in his "Ha! You're dead!" explanations.)

I still have no idea how in Kahless's name you're supposed to understand that puzzle about defusing the bomb, and I was watching Allira's instrument the entire time. It's not some kind of weird Chrono Cross-like thing where each button plays a different note, and you're supposed to remember the song you've been hearing throughout the entire game, is it?

Bah. Let's not dwell on the bad. Let's instead think about one of the lesser-known, but most touching, moments of this franchise.

Poq, son of Torghn posted:

Ler'at, House of Tignar, warrior-son
At the Battle of Teth, he took many blows
At the Battle of Rreth, he killed many men
His arms were strong to hold the bat'leth high
His heart was fierce to keep the enemy afraid
At Teth, at Rreth
At Legan, at Dumoth
At Neman

His arms are heavy now
With the weight of many battles
His heart is burdened
By the press of many honors

When he dies, the Heavens will shake
With the screams of his comrades,
Warning the dead,
"Beware, beware! A warrior is coming!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
This might be like some of the puzzles from Star Trek: Borg; the only way you can get info to solve some of the puzzles is to fail to solve the puzzle, die, and watch Borgified You actually show you the solution before Q makes fun of you and rewinds time. Which is marginally worse than "rapidly click on the back of Furlong's phaser pistol and cross your fingers the hotspot's working."

At least that game gave you a tricorder you could use to scan some things for hints/solutions.

Speaking of which, Rocket Baby Dolls, when you do play Borg, can you show off some of the funnier narrations from Q's tricorder?