Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Navin Johnson posted:

Blood of heroes was excellent. His role in the otherwise forgettable movie version of "Fatherland" was well-played.

Blood of heroes was one of my favorite movies as a kid. It’s a mashup of Mad Max and the Running Man and it’s amazing. As a kid with a facial scar, his line about scars made me happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
So between Pete Postlewaite and Rutger Hauer any old character Christopher Nolan goes out of his way to cast in a bit part in his movies is not long for this earth.

...has anybody checked on Tom Berenger and William Fichtner recently? :ohdear:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

alexandriao posted:

Don't really remember much of blade runner since it's been about 10 years since I saw it last, IIRC he ad-libbed the "tears in the rain" scene in that movie.

From what I heard there was some conflict between Hauer and Scott over how much of that is ad-libbed. Either way I'd say Hauer gets the lions share of credit. Roy Batty was the real main character of Blade Runner after all.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

1redflag posted:

Nobody mentioned Ladyhawke yet. That’s another good Hauer movie.

Ladyhawke owned

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

ZZZorcerer posted:

Ladyhawke owned

Hell yeah it did.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:rip:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

David D. Davidson posted:

From what I heard there was some conflict between Hauer and Scott over how much of that is ad-libbed. Either way I'd say Hauer gets the lions share of credit. Roy Batty was the real main character of Blade Runner after all.

How I heard it he was given the script for that scene shortly before shooting and given a lot of latitude to edit. He cut a lot out and changed some lines.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
No no obviously a non-native English speaker appearing in one of his first English language movies outside of the Netherlands was totally able to improvise off of his head an amazing speech in a single take that is better than anything the professional screenwriters responsible for the entire rest of his dialogue and the entirety of the film surrounding it could write because film nerds are very intelligent people.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I loved Ladyhawke. Hauer's line about his father's sword never knowing defeat until Broderick used it to chop firewood is pure beauty.

He would have made a fantastic Geralt of Rivia.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Nooo. He was an A-actor who elevated a lot of B-movies. I went out of my way to see everything he was in during the 80's and 90's.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

The guy was always the scary villain (and rightfully so) but he had a nice smile the few times we'd gotten to see it. Did he have any more lighthearted roles (aside from Buffy the Vampire Slayer where he was STILL the scary villain)?

He only played villains in his American movies. In Soldier of Orange he plays a cool and good dude lightheartedly fighting nazis. :geert:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
"like tears into rain" -rutger hower, blade runner (2017)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sleeveless posted:

No no obviously a non-native English speaker appearing in one of his first English language movies outside of the Netherlands was totally able to improvise off of his head an amazing speech in a single take that is better than anything the professional screenwriters responsible for the entire rest of his dialogue and the entirety of the film surrounding it could write because film nerds are very intelligent people.

Those professional screenwriters also wrote Harrison Ford's narration in the US theatrical cut.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
his performance as feyd was the most memorable part of the whole movie

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZzvlMA06l4

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Sleeveless posted:

Lol, the average Dutch person speaks better english then the average American.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

rip mr howard. you founded rutgers university and now you're dead

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

David D. Davidson posted:

Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner has Hauer, Scott, and screenwriter David Peoples agree on the basic story that Hauer is the one who changed the speech.

Hauer said he mostly just cut lines and that the tears in rain line was the only one he added.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

christmas boots posted:

Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner has Hauer, Scott, and screenwriter David Peoples agree on the basic story that Hauer is the one who changed the speech.

Hauer said he mostly just cut lines and that the tears in rain line was the only one he added.

this is an awesome documentary, and I highly recommend people pick up the DVD set, for no other reason than this. in the documentary, they actually have footage of him going through one or two alternate takes. What we ended up with, was a lot better than those.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Doesn't Blade Runner take place in 2019 too?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
My mom named me floris because she had a crush on Rutger Hauer back then.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
rip irl Geese

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

mrfart posted:

My mom named me floris because she had a crush on Rutger Hauer back then.

As long as it isn't Floris-Jan-Daniël...

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

he significantly edited the original monologue for dramatic effect without notifying Scott, nor the screenwriter and added the iconic "tears in the rain" line

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tears_in_rain_monologue

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
He did a good job of crying on screen - like he would cry and be simultaneously angry that he was crying. It was manly.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Sleeveless posted:

The single best line in Parks and Rec was ad-libbed by Chris Pine and the writers admitted on-stage later that they wish they had written it.

MLK ad-libbed the most famous part of the "I have a dream" speech. Also both "You can't handle the truth" and "Here's Johnny" were ad-libbed.

Nutsngum posted:

Lol, the average Dutch person speaks better english then the average American.

Also this

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Sleeveless posted:

lmao you're so wrong about this hahaha you idiot

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dutch people only speak in grunts and either go to clog school or cheese school before getting a job as a clog or cheese maker.

Just LOL if you think they can speak English or any language.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i would like to watch Floris but i could never find it with english subtitles anywhere

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Drew McIntyre posted:

i would like to watch Floris but i could never find it with english subtitles anywhere

https://youtu.be/XgtgF5XIV0Y

This has them? Or are they auto generated?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

mrfart posted:

https://youtu.be/XgtgF5XIV0Y

This has them? Or are they auto generated?

thank you. i was looking for dvds or vhs tapes and i didn't think of youtube's closed captions. at least something good came of rutger hauer's death.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lol it wasn't even that. It was some sort of mediaeval setting and Hauer's character was a part of some sort of vagabond band and raped some women and it had a lot of dicks and tits and bums. I can't remember much else because I was very drunk when it was on TV.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Wizchine posted:

He did a good job of crying on screen - like he would cry and be simultaneously angry that he was crying. It was manly.

R.I.P. Rutger Hauer: It was manly.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Lol it wasn't even that. It was some sort of mediaeval setting and Hauer's character was a part of some sort of vagabond band and raped some women and it had a lot of dicks and tits and bums. I can't remember much else because I was very drunk when it was on TV.

Definitely Flesh + Blood. Fun movie

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

^^^^ yeah that was it!

I just remembered seeing a German movie about two terminal patients who escaped from the hospital and got into wacky hi-jinks and at some point the mafia was after them and they're in an impossible situation, about to die (big deal?) but then loving Rutger Hauer comes in like a deus via ianua and just tells the other criminals to cut it out and that's it.

Also had Muriel Baumeister in a bit part which I remember because everyone had a crush on her as Einsatz Hamburg Süd was airing here at the time.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jerry Cotton posted:

^^^^ yeah that was it!

I just remembered seeing a German movie about two terminal patients who escaped from the hospital and got into wacky hi-jinks and at some point the mafia was after them and they're in an impossible situation, about to die (big deal?) but then loving Rutger Hauer comes in like a deus via ianua and just tells the other criminals to cut it out and that's it.

Also had Muriel Baumeister in a bit part which I remember because everyone had a crush on her as Einsatz Hamburg Süd was airing here at the time.

That would we "Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's it again!

Anyway I have Rutger Hauer Turns Into A Space Samurai For No Particular Reason (the title is probably something else but it shoudln't be) on VHS, probably gonna watch it again this week-end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

rip mr howard. you founded rutgers university and now you're dead

It's spelled Rutger's University, a lot of people get this wrong.