Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I almost exclusively wear Salomons or Adidas, so I accept my capitalistic shitbaggery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

The motherfucker for me is now I have two choices -

- Go without leg braces and walk with a cane, which I only do on infusion days.
- Use my braces, which means they have to fit into a shoe. The ankle is part is completely rigid, making it difficult.

I hadn't worn sneakers since being a little kid, having always hated laces unless it was for something athletic. I have a green pair of Puma's that work, but I look like Dr. House.

I miss being able to slip on Chelsea boots and call it good.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Captain Log posted:

- Use my braces, which means they have to fit into a shoe. The ankle is part is completely rigid, making it difficult.

I hadn't worn sneakers since being a little kid, having always hated laces unless it was for something athletic. I have a green pair of Puma's that work, but I look like Dr. House.

SAS does custom work as well, if you have a medical need you might be able to get it covered as a medical device. I know my orthotic shoes were covered when I was a kid.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Do the braces fit under your heel, out of curiosity?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

madeintaipei posted:

Do the braces fit under your heel, out of curiosity?

They do, running all the way down to my toes. My knees are fine, it's the ankles that don't cooperate. I'll grab a picture when I'm able. Considering I was almost put in full plastics from the thigh down, I'm glad to have little blade braces that start at my upper calves.

I can get around the condo just fine, especially having a wall or piece of furniture nearby. I just walk really stiffly. But that's mostly being on even ground. I tried to go to the parking lot in the dark a few weeks ago and almost ate poo poo, wearing braces, because of the uneven asphalt.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

To try and make my New Balances last more than a year, I bought two identical pairs at the same time, to try to wear them on alternating days, which I think is something they do in the Navy IIRC? Anyway, then the pandemic happened so now I wear my 7 dollar slippers all day.

It's more of a dress shoe thing because it specifically applies to leather shoes, but you should be alternating days between wears to allow the shoes to dry out as much as possible. Wearing the same shoes every day is really stressful on the leather, causes increased wear and cracks to develop much sooner than they would otherwise.

Less of a thing on sneakers and the like because fabric is much more breathable.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

Stopped by a gun store/range I’ve never been to while I was out running errands earlier. They had a 10mm EAA Witness I was seriously considering buying, until I noticed they had this rittenhouse picture in black and white on a ~18x18” canvas prominently displayed on the wall of ARs. gently caress off, I’ll spend my money elsewhere.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've heard of wrestling shoes being recommended for wearing with leg braces, but I totally forget why.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Forum Hussy posted:

Stopped by a gun store/range I’ve never been to while I was out running errands earlier. They had a 10mm EAA Witness I was seriously considering buying, until I noticed they had this rittenhouse picture in black and white on a ~18x18” canvas prominently displayed on the wall of ARs. gently caress off, I’ll spend my money elsewhere.

I had one of these 6 inch full steel. I had to put extra strength reclil springs in because it was ejecting cases with unburned powder. Great gun though loved it.

And yeah talk about a good litmus test. "Well people hit him with a skateboard do you know how much trucks hurt?"
Yeah after he shot unarmed people...have his jail sentence just be someone smashing him in the face wiyh a skateboard for the next 50 years gently caress him

Stravag fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 1, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Dip Viscous posted:

I've heard of wrestling shoes being recommended for wearing with leg braces, but I totally forget why.

(I only just realized what thread this conversation is in. We can continue it in the new chat thread whenever it appears.)

These three sneakers work. The elastic kid's laces are best, because I need more flex in them when I walk than normal laces. The green ones on the far left do the best.

What they look like assembled -

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Dip Viscous posted:

Wrestling shoes tend to have a thinner soft sole, and they wear out pretty quickly. I found that if worn on smooth concrete they'd wear out in under two months. I imagine rough concrete or asphalt would destroy them much quicker. If he wasn't going to walk much they might work though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm gonna take my last post to the new chat thread. We can continue shoe talk there!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics. Oh, and that stupid children's book 'The Little Prince,' ugh.

Yams Fan

Forum Hussy posted:

they had this rittenhouse picture in black and white on a ~18x18” canvas prominently displayed

Poor kid, never had a chance given his parents. When I piss on his grave I’ll have a brief, momentary, especially strong piss chill. Then I will let out a giant fart and wonder where to have lunch.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Forum Hussy posted:

^^ argghghghghghh

First ask to use the bathroom, then stick one of these bad boys on the wall or mirror on the way out.

I made some exactly for petty vengeance on lovely establishments

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The Eyes Have It posted:

^^ argghghghghghh

First ask to use the bathroom, then stick one of these bad boys on the wall or mirror on the way out.

I made some exactly for petty vengeance on lovely establishments

Back when politics wouldn't be as likely to get you shot, I'd have friends cover conservative presidential bumper stickers with lefty candidates.

You'd be amazed how long someone can go without noticing that.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Unfortunately that swings both ways. I went to a gun show with a friend that had an Obama sticker on their car & when we came out of the building somebody stuck a MAGA sticker over it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Android Apocalypse posted:

Unfortunately that swings both ways. I went to a gun show with a friend that had an Obama sticker on their car & when we came out of the building somebody stuck a MAGA sticker over it.

I should have specified - it was only done to other friends, back around the Bush II era.

Doing that to a stranger just seems like a good way to get in a Dad Little League Wheeze Fight.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Captain Log posted:

I should have specified - it was only done to other friends, back around the Bush II era.

Doing that to a stranger just seems like a good way to get in a Dad Little League Wheeze Fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1MBkcZbA_U

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

This happened to my parents Clinton Gore sticker and a Santorum one. For years we had CLINTORN GO US pasted in the back of the Subaru.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The level of anger people will work themselves up to, because they got caught being lazy, will never cease to entertain and sadden me.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Proč bychom se netěšili když nám Pán Bůh zdraví dá?

Guys there are shoes out there that aren’t sneakers. You could wear those too.

My car has a “women for Obama” sticker my wife put on in 2012 and I got a little anti Obama flyer stuck in my windshield wiper in 2020. A black man winning the president seriously broke a lot of brains

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

So, I saw Thief for the first time. Incredible film, no question. And because I inhale behind the scenes knowledge after I watch something good, I found this retrospective since it was recently the 40th anniversary. Apparently Mann sent James Caan out to Jeff Cooper's gunsite academy in Arizona - go figure for the time period. Now, I had heard that Cooper was a racist piece of poo poo over the years, but I found this in particular to be very interesting:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2021/03/michael-mann-thief-oral-history/

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Heh I just listened to The Ringer's The Rewatchables podcast about Thief and apparently Caan was quite the character back in the 70's. For him to think Cooper's Nazi worship is is definitely saying something.

I should watch Thief as it's on HBO Max.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Just watched it Friday night. It's worth a watch.

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Heh I just listened to The Ringer's The Rewatchables podcast about Thief and apparently Caan was quite the character back in the 70's. For him to think Cooper's Nazi worship is is definitely saying something.

I should watch Thief as it's on HBO Max.
really good flick; let me add another strong recommend.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 27, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I really hate this but Cooper’s Color Codes is still one of the best ways to teach people about situational awareness. I occasionally teach the UN’s answer to Hostile Environment Awareness Training and we lean heavily on the color codes in our personal security lessons as it’s a lot easier to explain a color system to people without a security background than it is to describe the OODA loop. I just say “Jeff Cooper” once and hope no one remembers his name long enough to Google him.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I really hate this but Cooper’s Color Codes is still one of the best ways to teach people about situational awareness. I occasionally teach the UN’s answer to Hostile Environment Awareness Training and we lean heavily on the color codes in our personal security lessons as it’s a lot easier to explain a color system to people without a security background than it is to describe the OODA loop. I just say “Jeff Cooper” once and hope no one remembers his name long enough to Google him.

The red, black, green, and blue based upon the clock position, or the condition white, yellow, red?

The former I thought was something Dick Marcinko made up, the latter I knew about from a 911 dispatch training class 20+ years ago.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 27, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Syrian Lannister posted:

The red, black, green, and blue based upon the clock position, or the condition white, yellow, red?

The former I thought was something Dick Marcinko made up, the latter I knew about from a 911 dispatch training class 20+ years ago.

The latter

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Yeah it's frustrating that he(or people he took knowledge from) had so many solid, relevant ideas.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Color codes of awareness and four rules of firearm safety are foundational ideas and I'll teach them to anyone without a single moment wasted telling them about Colonel Jeff Cooper.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 6, 2021

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

Yeah, it's OK to pinch good ideas from bad people and simply jettison any reference to the bad person. "Who came up with this?" "A guy with a lot of bad ideas, but a couple good ones. Moving on."

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

It came from space!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

my kinda ape posted:

It came from space!

Via laser?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Any given day my butthole follows the same rules because I can’t keep away from spicy.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

I love people who claim they're always condition yellow or higher. Literally never condition white. That's for SHEEPLE. The idea that they would ever let their guard down is just straight up too emasculating to conceive.

Most are full of poo poo, of course, but the handful who really are always wired will drop dead by like age 40.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Yellow is relaxed but you’re aware of what’s going on around you. That’s generally a persons default state. We have many more opportunities to be in white these days because of smart phones and the like, but generally yellow is normal every day behavior. Any time you’re driving you should be in yellow. If you’re in white you’re very dangerous in a car.

That being said everyone has their moments. We’ve all checked our phone in a line, adjusted the music in the car, etc. You should strive to be in yellow, though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

"I'm only in condition white when I sleep" is something I may have heard from some real blowhards.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

The Automator posted:

Yellow is relaxed but you’re aware of what’s going on around you. That’s generally a persons default state. We have many more opportunities to be in white these days because of smart phones and the like, but generally yellow is normal every day behavior. Any time you’re driving you should be in yellow. If you’re in white you’re very dangerous in a car.

That being said everyone has their moments. We’ve all checked our phone in a line, adjusted the music in the car, etc. You should strive to be in yellow, though.

No one actually lives like this. That's my point. Yes, of course while driving you should be alert and aware, but when you're out buying groceries or whatever I guarantee you're sometimes too busy thinking about whether you need more paper towels or whether you want to buy another box of cereal to be ~ON ALERT AT ALL TIMES~

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Dick Burglar posted:

No one actually lives like this. That's my point. Yes, of course while driving you should be alert and aware, but when you're out buying groceries or whatever I guarantee you're sometimes too busy thinking about whether you need more paper towels or whether you want to buy another box of cereal to be ~ON ALERT AT ALL TIMES~

There are people with PTSD who are always on the high end of yellow into orange, regardless of where they are or what they are doing.
Not just combat vets, but victims of domestic abuse as well. They just don't normally advertise that they are keyed up and running stressed constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

General anxiety is fake, stop being weirdos.