Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

No one actually lives like this. That's my point. Yes, of course while driving you should be alert and aware, but when you're out buying groceries or whatever I guarantee you're sometimes too busy thinking about whether you need more paper towels or whether you want to buy another box of cereal to be ~ON ALERT AT ALL TIMES~

What? Uh when Iím buying groceries Iím generally aware of whatís going on around me. If youíre day dreaming all day or something then thereís something wrong with you.

Yellow isnít keyed up scanning constantly. Itís being generally aware of whatís going on and thatís not a hard ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

kupachek posted:

There are people with PTSD who are always on the high end of yellow into orange, regardless of where they are or what they are doing.

Big old yup. That poo poo doesn't turn off.

I don't think it's a mall ninja operator statement to say a person lives in yellow. From my read on it, white sounds like being completely oblivious.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

The Automator posted:

What? Uh when Iím buying groceries Iím generally aware of whatís going on around me. If youíre day dreaming all day or something then thereís something wrong with you.

Yellow isnít keyed up scanning constantly. Itís being generally aware of whatís going on and thatís not a hard ask.

Having lived overseas for over a decade with most of that in South America or Africa - mostly yellow / orange is bit of a default state. Didn't realize white was thing?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

kupachek posted:

There are people with PTSD who are always on the high end of yellow into orange, regardless of where they are or what they are doing.
Not just combat vets, but victims of domestic abuse as well. They just don't normally advertise that they are keyed up and running stressed constantly.

Ok, fair point. I was thinking of constant awareness being a voluntary state, which I still don't believe is a thing, but you are correct that some people are involuntarily always wired. And it is terrible and exhausting.

The Automator posted:

Maybe I just misunderstand the white/yellow distinction. If "daydreaming" is the default state of white, then basically everybody is automatically in yellow most of the time. That seems like being in white means you're constantly tripping over poo poo on the ground because your head's in the clouds, and I don't think that's really a thing for most people. I assumed white amounted to "letting your guard down, but being passively aware of what's going on around you." I don't think most people are (as Log put it) "completely oblivious" most of the time, no matter what dumb sheepdog bullshit gets floated out there. They may not notice all the fine details that trained individuals do, but that's not the same thing.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 7, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

I was in a moderately serious motorcycle crash about half a year ago and, while I don't at all have panic attacks while riding, I also no longer get the flood of soothing calm that used to come over me. Sucks, I don't seem to be able to do anything about it.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

Ok, fair point. I was thinking of constant awareness being a voluntary state, which I still don't believe is a thing, but you are correct that some people are involuntarily always wired. And it is terrible and exhausting.

Maybe I just misunderstand the white/yellow distinction. If "daydreaming" is the default state of white, then basically everybody is automatically in yellow most of the time. That seems like being in white means you're constantly tripping over poo poo on the ground because your head's in the clouds, and I don't think that's really a thing for most people. I assumed white amounted to "letting your guard down, but being passively aware of what's going on around you." I don't think most people are (as Log put it) "completely oblivious" most of the time, no matter what dumb sheepdog bullshit gets floated out there. They may not notice all the fine details that trained individuals do, but that's not the same thing.

Read the chart that was posted a page ago, you dork. Yellow literally says, ďrelaxed and alert.Ē

White is unaware. That means youíre not paying attention to anything around you. Youíre playing on your phone, jogging with your hood up listening to headphones. Youíre unaware of whatís happening around you.

If youíre at the grocery store shopping and someone in the aisle is doing something weird, youíre going to notice, right? Thatís yellow.

Most reasonable people spend the majority of their lives in yellow, but itís easy to slip into white. Try to avoid doing that. I see people do it at ATMs all the time. I see people standing in the middle of an aisle typing away at their phone. There are countless videos of people on their phones tripping or falling into something. That is condition white.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Anyone even talking about this needs to learn to chill out

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

As an analogy:

Yellow is a person stopping at the stoplight that just turned red. They are aware of their surroundings and noticed that the light changed.
White is the person who blows through the red light, hits the divider, and somersaults 50 feet through the air into the second story of a daycare because lol it's a straight road and he's gotta type a comment on that last hilarious cat video.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

In the aisle Iím condition white because in my head Iím condition plaid because the type of spice that is always Right There was apparently moved to the ďethnic/gourmet aisleĒ for dumb reasons, but I better scan this row of 80 spices again to make sure...

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Dick Burglar posted:

There are idiots who brag about "being on alert", and most of them will probably be the type who actually miss danger signs.
Personally, as "relaxed" as is possible for me, I'm still on alert. It's no point of pride (although very handy in the bush), it's actually an annoyance most of the time because I can't stop taking in everything (visually and auditory) and processing it. It means that I have trouble understanding someone speaking 3 feet away while hearing every rustle and twig crunch with absolute clarity from 150 feet plus away. I'm a bit envious of people that can just tune out and not have a care in the world, or people who can just fall asleep quickly. My buddies poke fun at me about it in the bush, but they sure as hell appreciate it when I spot a bear or cougar that's moved into my range and give them a headsup. That kind of involuntary awareness is also the default state for a lot of women who walk alone, or minorities, except the action they will take is to get to safety rather than to fight. Sheepdog idiots will continue to be idiots, just let them live out their fantasy in their head while you know they are full of poo poo.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was in a moderately serious motorcycle crash about half a year ago and, while I don't at all have panic attacks while riding, I also no longer get the flood of soothing calm that used to come over me. Sucks, I don't seem to be able to do anything about it.

I had a bit of a serious one in 2003, broke my right clavicle without realizing it. Seventeen years later I still get little flashes of that "no control" feeling I had right before impact once in a while while riding. Not often thankfully, but it still occurs from time to time.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

kupachek posted:

I had a bit of a serious one in 2003, broke my right clavicle without realizing it. Seventeen years later I still get little flashes of that "no control" feeling I had right before impact once in a while while riding. Not often thankfully, but it still occurs from time to time.

For me it's left turns without cars already stopped in the lanes I'm turning across. I had a couple racing teenagers blow through a red light absurdly fast and total my car in spectacular fashion a decade ago and I just cannot shake the feeling that cars coming up to the intersection are driven by complete loving morons who won't stop.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 7, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Quibbling over "what does condition white mean" is unexpectedly yet hilariously on topic for the "racism in the firearms industry" thread.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Too bad the thread title is long enough to not allow "What does Condition White mean?" to be added.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Midjack posted:

Quibbling over "what does condition white mean" is unexpectedly yet hilariously on topic for the "racism in the firearms industry" thread.

Condition white means you miss the Totenkopfs plastered across the store website, then give unabashed fascists your money.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

Anyone even talking about this needs to learn to chill out

Oh, great. Now I'm worrying about not chilling out.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 27, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Warbadger posted:

Condition white means you miss the Totenkopfs plastered across the store website, then give unabashed fascists your money.

One would have also thought the blog post ďHow to Avoid ďCondition BlacksĒ would have been an obvious tell.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

The Automator posted:

Read the chart that was posted a page ago, you dork. Yellow literally says, ďrelaxed and alert.Ē

White is unaware. That means youíre not paying attention to anything around you. Youíre playing on your phone, jogging with your hood up listening to headphones. Youíre unaware of whatís happening around you.

If youíre at the grocery store shopping and someone in the aisle is doing something weird, youíre going to notice, right? Thatís yellow.

Most reasonable people spend the majority of their lives in yellow, but itís easy to slip into white. Try to avoid doing that. I see people do it at ATMs all the time. I see people standing in the middle of an aisle typing away at their phone. There are countless videos of people on their phones tripping or falling into something. That is condition white.

Ok, you're right. I'm a dumbass.

kupachek posted:

There are idiots who brag about "being on alert", and most of them will probably be the type who actually miss danger signs.

I think this is where some of my confusion came from. Many years ago, I used to read stuff like the Lightfighter forum, and there was a whole lot of CONSTANT VIGILANCE ALWAYS YELLOW OR HIGHER HNNNNGGGHH poo poo that left me with the impression that yellow was something more, uh, "severe" than it actually is.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Itís just people flexing the dumbest poo poo. I PAY ATTENTION A LOT! Cool dude, so does the rest of the world.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

I'm not hyper-vigilant by any means, but my wife lives most of her life in "condition white" and is constantly startled and surprised by people, objects, and noises.

It's no way to live.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

So there I was in frozen foods lookin for my dino numgies when I poo poo YOU NOT, the feelingô

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to PARTAYYY!

Fun Shoe

So when are people completely oblivious? When are people actually condition white? Texting while driving, sure. Buried in their phone while walking down the street, sure. But when else are people completely oblivious out in public? I tend to be a bit oblivious when I'm on my phone at home sometimes. Maybe a little oblivious when I'm really into a book or movie or TV show, but even then I'm not COMPLETELY oblivious. Really the only time I can think of me being almost completely oblivious to my surroundings is when I'm playing a computer game (with my headphones on, so I can't hear other things). But that's all at home.

Out in public, I guess I tend to be in yellow.

I think there needs to be something in between a condition white and a condition yellow. There's definitely something in between "completely oblivious" and "relaxed and alert." I think maybe a condition grey would be "relaxed, semi alert, but might miss some red flags."

Midjack posted:

Ok, that was hilarious.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

I canít even beat off in white because Iím always scared the house keeping is gonna show up at some weird time irrationally.

Yellow 4 life

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I don't think "Relaxed and Alert" means "Constantly Paranoid."

But I can think of ten people I know off the top of my head that are permanently in the "white" category, who wouldn't notice if they were on fire. gently caress, we had a buddy in Nashville who would hear a knock at the door, go answer it, see one of our friends standing right there, close the door, and return to say, "Nobody was there." It became a running joke that the dude could literally look at a friend standing outside their front door and not see them.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

So when are people completely oblivious? When are people actually condition white? Texting while driving, sure. Buried in their phone while walking down the street, sure. But when else are people completely oblivious out in public? I tend to be a bit oblivious when I'm on my phone at home sometimes. Maybe a little oblivious when I'm really into a book or movie or TV show, but even then I'm not COMPLETELY oblivious. Really the only time I can think of me being almost completely oblivious to my surroundings is when I'm playing a computer game (with my headphones on, so I can't hear other things). But that's all at home.

Out in public, I guess I tend to be in yellow.

I think there needs to be something in between a condition white and a condition yellow. There's definitely something in between "completely oblivious" and "relaxed and alert." I think maybe a condition grey would be "relaxed, semi alert, but might miss some red flags."

Ok, that was hilarious.

Have you ever waited in line at an atm? People will literally just stand there staring straight at the screen while the machine does nothing.

Have you ever been bumped by someone walking down a hallway that wasnít paying attention?

What about pumping gas at one of those stupid gas pumps with screens on them? Have you ever seen someone just completely zoned out staring at them?

I was once talking to a co-worker who turned his head to look at me and walked straight off a 4í loading dock.

If you people watch youíll see it constantly.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

NGL, one of the more useful skills I learned in the military is picking up on enough context clues to front my way through interactions that started while totally zoned out.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Automator posted:

Yellow is relaxed but youíre aware of whatís going on around you. Thatís generally a persons default state. We have many more opportunities to be in white these days because of smart phones and the like, but generally yellow is normal every day behavior. Any time youíre driving you should be in yellow. If youíre in white youíre very dangerous in a car.

That being said everyone has their moments. Weíve all checked our phone in a line, adjusted the music in the car, etc. You should strive to be in yellow, though.

my uncle who is a SEAL, but like, the actual secret ones not the public ones, told me only losers take this seriously

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 27, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CainFortea posted:

my uncle who is a SEAL, but like, the actual secret ones not the public ones, told me only losers take this seriously

Tbf if youíre some mall ninja who thinks ďOK NOW IM IN CONDITION YELLOWĒ then yeah totally but itís by no means weird or mentally exhaustive to think about where the exits are and be mindful of your surroundings when youíre out and about. Not because you might have to dynamically index your concealed firearm stored at 1230 in AIWB position and move into a Central Axis Relock stance in order to dynamically engage critical threats in a disruptive environment, but in case the fire alarm goes off you know where to go or infinitely more likely, not bump into someone when youíre looking for yogurt on aisle 6.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I Demand Food posted:

I'm not hyper-vigilant by any means, but my wife lives most of her life in "condition white" and is constantly startled and surprised by people, objects, and noises.

It's no way to live.
Lol this is not remotely the same thing

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Body-Keeps-Score-Healing-Trauma/dp/0143127748

An aside, but the number of times I have had the experience of being the only person in a building to react to a fire alarm is, well, alarming

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 7, 2021

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

CainFortea posted:

my cousin who is a california sea lion said the same thing

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

ddogflex posted:

my cousin who is a california sea lion said the same thing

Typical Californian. /s (Explicitly marking this dumb joke as sarcastic because this thread is one where jokes get more scrutiny.)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Color codes of awareness and four rules of firearm safety are foundational ideas and I'll teach them to anyone without a single moment wasted telling them about Colonel Jeff Cooper.

I'd heard the name Jeff Cooper before with relation to those 4 rules but didn't know anything about him.

Hmm interesting let me just go check out his wikipedia, oh a section on "political views"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I feel like if I were a conservative I'd push back on labeling opinions like "poor people/minorities killing each other is a service to the country and we should do everything we can to help" and "actually the apartheid state was good" as "conservative" but here we are.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Dang dicknose don't tuck that money under your eyelids!

Pillbug

Gavin De Beckerís not a monster like cooper is at least, as near as I can tell. Iíve usually taught his threat assessment stuff anyway when I was teaching Krav Maga.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

ADINSX posted:

I feel like if I were a conservative I'd push back on labeling opinions like "poor people/minorities killing each other is a service to the country and we should do everything we can to help" and "actually the apartheid state was good" as "conservative" but here we are.

Here we are, indeed.

It's been that way for a while. Part and parcel. Remember that South Africa and, to a lesser extent, Rhodesia were allies of the West during the Cold War. William F. Buckley, of all people, seemed to understand this early on and did a series of interviews on Firing Line with govt. heads in Rhodesia, Apartheid-era South Africa, and various concerned parties where he highlighted and questioned the sentiments you posted. They are fairly tame interviews by modern standards. These things are a hard watch now, and you have to trust in Buckley providing subtext if you have no other knowledge of the situation(s), but it starts here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1OzfpPtJoQ

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Proč bychom se netěöili kdyě nŠm PŠn Bůh zdravŪ dŠ?

This thread rn

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

ADINSX posted:

"actually the apartheid state was good"

he had to keep the scout rifle market open

v shrewd business practice actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Scratch Monkey posted: