Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

I dunno, that loses the meaning of black where itís a state of panic or otherwise being in a state thatís too keyed up to be able to act effectively

Unless the training involves stress inoculation and how to manage the transition to a panicked state, it's not really worthwhile to talk about it because there's nothing you can do at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

fatman1683 posted:

Unless the training involves stress inoculation and how to manage the transition to a panicked state, it's not really worthwhile to talk about it because there's nothing you can do at that point.

If your training doesnít at least address the existence of pants making GBS threads, canít actually function levels of panic then it still has gaps. The last time I did an active shooter class it had parts about the fact that even if youíre not in full on code black the people around you may be.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If your training doesnít at least address the existence of pants making GBS threads, canít actually function levels of panic then it still has gaps. The last time I did an active shooter class it had parts about the fact that even if youíre not in full on code black the people around you may be.

It was explained pretty well, which I probably failed to get across, there just wasn't a separate name or level number for it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

There's something funny about getting all pedantic about color coding threat levels in a racism thread and having "black" be the worst case scenario level.

edit Midjack made a similar joke and I'm getting .

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

fatman1683 posted:

Do force on force scenarios, even with a couple buddies

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

There's something funny about getting all pedantic about color coding threat levels in a racism thread and having "black" be the worst case scenario level.

edit Midjack made a similar joke and I'm getting .

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

It's the trappings (and the implication that your very normal life requires *constant vigilance*) that open the idea up to ridicule, but honestly if someone suggested "hey, it's good to be more aware and mindful, especially in public", it would be a lot less controversial.

The example that always springs to my mind is realizing I've arrived in my driveway with zero awareness or memory of the last ten minutes of driving. Oops!

Thank you, really. I'll read this.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 14, 2021

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

The example that always springs to my mind is realizing I've arrived in my driveway with zero awareness or memory of the last ten minutes of driving. Oops!

poo poo, you know how I know that the multiverse theory of the universe is real? Because this will happen while I'm on the freeway, and I just KNOW for a fact that in half of those parallel universes, I died ten minutes ago because I lost attention of my driving.

It's a miracle that I'm still alive somehow.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Itís possible that you didnít stop paying attention during that time, you just stopped being conscious during that time. Technically your brain is more efficient at reacting to stimuli in a flow state, you just donít necessarily have total control over how your body reacts.

So you didnít die in all of those realities, you just temporarily stopped existing as a conscious being!

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

There a process where your brain deletes experiences that aren't notable shortly after they occur because they hold no value in being turned into episodic memories which accounts for some of that just before you get too worried about your safety while driving. You may not have been zoned out and it's a miracle you got home, your brain may have just tossed it as useless

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Stravag posted:

There a process where your brain deletes experiences that aren't notable shortly after they occur because they hold no value in being turned into episodic memories which accounts for some of that just before you get too worried about your safety while driving. You may not have been zoned out and it's a miracle you got home, your brain may have just tossed it as useless

So thatís why I remember about two days out of the last year and a half.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's the same reason it's so hard to remember if you locked the door on your way out. It's something you've done a thousand times before, so your brain quickly discards the memory. And just doing it in a slightly different way makes it possible to remember.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!

I don't think I've seen people talk about it before, but Rob Ski posts some pretty gross stuff on his youtube page. He just posted one about the derek chauvin trial telling people to "stay safe" while his followers talk about gearing up to shoot black people and being generally racist. A generous reading of that could say he's telling people to generally stay safe about potential unrest, but the fact that he's letting people talk about how ready they are to murder black people speaks volumes. He's said a lot of other really questionable things in the past as well if you dig through his posts.

https://www.youtube.com/post/UgyYDxxl10Z9BAVcBq94AaABCQ

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 27, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/Halfempty621/status/1384185515981770755?s=20

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Morshu posted:

I don't think I've seen people talk about it before, but Rob Ski posts some pretty gross stuff on his youtube page.

Yeah. I used to really love his enthusiasm and love of the AK family, but now he's in the bucket of guntubers I don't watch any more.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!

Somebody Awful posted:

Yeah. I used to really love his enthusiasm and love of the AK family, but now he's in the bucket of guntubers I don't watch any more.

Me too. He has a lot of really informative content and does some real solid testing (and it was entertaining watching him dunk on IO lol) but he's gone pretty mask off. I was even thinking about buying some parts from his store at one point, but I'll take my money elsewhere.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Somebody Awful posted:

This dude seems to keep things on an even keel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?HonestOutlawReviews

Fully prepared for a milkshake duck down the line though.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Is Garand Thumb a shithead?

Please tell me no, because heís not insufferable.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

tehinternet posted:

Please tell me no, because he’s not insufferable.

Oh, Garand Thumb? He's fine. If you like rhodesia apologists, anyway.

(He is terrible)

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

tehinternet posted:

Please tell me no, because he’s not insufferable.

Ahhahahahahahahhahahhaaha

Literally starts with an attack helicopter joke everytime.

DoubleAughtMeowMix
May 3, 2006

B33 < Meow what is so funny

tehinternet posted:

Please tell me no, because heís not insufferable.

To pile on, he's also pals with Lucas Botkin of T-rex Arms and that dude is a shithead.

Capn Beeb posted:

Desert Tech is owned by hardline racist Mormons that go all in on their cultist blood bullshit.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2017/blood-cult

Lucas Botkin of T-Rex Arms is a homophobe that belongs to a fundamentalist Christian organization that sees women as breeding stock to guard against Satan and nothing more:

https://christianpundit.wordpress.com/category/kooks-and-crazies/botkins-botkin-syndrome/

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2015/04/the-cold-unforgiving-world-of-geoffrey-botkin.html

Edit:

Not sure if this is still the case but Troy Industries has Dale Monroe as an instructor.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/what-the-hells-the-problem-with-troy-industries/

Dale was Lon Horiuchiís partner at Ruby Ridge.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

Are there guntubers that arenít shitheads besides Ian and Karl? Because thatís all I watch these days.

Edit: 9 hole reviews too

not black enough fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 21, 2021

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

C and arsenal last i knew

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Bloke on the Range, Cap and Ball, and britishmuzzleloaders are non-lovely AFAIK.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Do they have a history or something? On face value it really doesn't look any more sieg heil than this:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Seamonster posted:

Do they have a history or something?

God yes.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

not black enough posted:

Are there guntubers that arenít shitheads besides Ian and Karl? Because thatís all I watch these days.

Here's what I'm currently subscribed to and bother to check out at least semi-regularly.
If there's someone here I should dig deeper into, please let me know, as at least two people on this list get a buck a month or so from me on Patreon.

22 Plinkster (though IIRC, someone earlier in this thread was bothered by him having associations with Henry Repeating Arms)
a.amantine (assuming you don't take issue with NVG pig hunting)
Kirsten Joy Weiss (kinda click-bait-y, but generally very pleasant and positive)
She Equips Herself (caveat: very new-shooter focused)
Mrgunsngear (does more with politics than I'd like, but I haven't spotted any red flags)

If you're willing to add in air gun content:
Air Arms Hunting SA (not a "shithead" problem, but he does hunt animals you don't typically see hunted on similar channels, like hyraxes and some variety of monkey)
Ted's HoldOver

Also, I assume that "Silencer Smooth" coffee just makes the coffee-induced bowel movements faster but quieter.

Dr_Zombie_Love
Mar 17, 2009

Any thoughts on Mark Novak from the Anvil gunsmithing series? His channel was an off-shoot of C&Rsenal. There doesnít seem to be anything that jumps out in any of his content, but Iíve seen him doing a bunch of stuff, perhaps off-camera with IV8888. I find a lot of his videos to be fascinating and he seems to be very knowledgeable, but thereís something about him that seems like he could be problematic.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Seamonster posted:

Do they have a history or something? On face value it really doesn't look any more sieg heil than this:

You must be new here. Enjoy your stay.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Yall really leaving Tacticool GF out of this? She's great, and her comment sections are inevitably hilarious.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

I love Hunting Gear guy, he's really Canadian focused in content, but is non-lovely IMO as politics never comes up, except when it does... At the very least when he complains about the government laws and stuff at most its a 5 second soundbite that doesn't detract from the focus of his content which is guns.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Stravag posted:

C and arsenal last i knew

Othais has stated many times before he wants to keep the C&Rsenal channel apolitical, and FWIW the primary musician behind the project is a trans woman (and also a former goon) and there are multiple women involved on the production team. I think they've done a pretty decent job of it, but I can't say I'm familiar with every little bit of content they've done.

Dr_Zombie_Love posted:

Any thoughts on Mark Novak from the Anvil gunsmithing series? His channel was an off-shoot of C&Rsenal. There doesn’t seem to be anything that jumps out in any of his content, but I’ve seen him doing a bunch of stuff, perhaps off-camera with IV8888. I find a lot of his videos to be fascinating and he seems to be very knowledgeable, but there’s something about him that seems like he could be problematic.

AFAIK it's also the same story with Mark. If he does have lovely opinions, he keeps them mostly private. The IV8888 connection is both C&Rsenal and IV8888 are youtube gun channels based in the south, so they're chummy on a mostly professional level (with the exception of Kevin, who as far as I understand is just someone who works at their gunshop and occasionally makes video appearances but isn't a 'main' part of the crew?).

With Mark it's even less than that, because he's legitimately just a gunsmith and the video he did with IV8888 was doing a repair job for them

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

What makes IV8888 so lovely, apart from his poo poo business practices? (He outright has a price sheet for buying how good of a product review you want.)

The dude sucks but I've never heard of him actually saying anything racist and he has stated that he would not have put 8888 in the channel name if he'd known the implcations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dip Viscous posted:

What makes IV8888 so lovely, apart from his poo poo business practices? (He outright has a price sheet for buying how good of a product review you want.)

The dude sucks but I've never heard of him actually saying anything racist and he has stated that he would not have put 8888 in the channel name if he'd known the implcations.

Check out his facebook. Rails against the ďwokeĒ military, loves cops, says trans rights are a sign of moral and scientific decline of the USA, suggests covid relief bill is a ploy to send money to other countries by immigrant legislators, supports voter suppression, posts about how sad it is Rush Limbaugh died since Rush was the one telling the truth, etc.

So yeah. Heís real bad. Even if the 8888 truly was a coincidence, heís just lovely as hell.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I can't see his Facebook, but drat, that would explain things.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

I'm just going to make sure that Tacticool Girlfriend gets linked in this discussion. Great content all around, she's a fantastic antithesis to thin blue line punisher skull guntubers.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Chillyrabbit posted:

I love Hunting Gear guy, he's really Canadian focused in content, but is non-lovely IMO as politics never comes up, except when it does... At the very least when he complains about the government laws and stuff at most its a 5 second soundbite that doesn't detract from the focus of his content which is guns.

Dude is anticom as hell, being a staunch right-libertarian. But you are correct that he rarely brings it up unless he's provoked, and he keeps it to a short distasteful joke when he is provoked. Anticom jokes are still pretty chud territory though. But also beggars can't be choosers when it comes to cancon.

I enjoy 32icon for a vastly different perspective from my own. She's apolitical and usually showcases a sort of firearm ownership that's pretty foreign to me, so it's something I appreciate.

And yes Tacticool Girlfriend goes without saying, she's kind of the antidote to the thoroughly chud Garand Thumb.

E: Milsurp World is apolitical, and while not quite the same tier as Forgotten Weapons or C&Rsenal, he does fill in some gaps.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 21, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Not related to gun tubers I know nothing about -

I've known a lot of 88 screen names from people who use their year of birth for their numbers. John born in 88 becomes BigJohn88. So I always keep that in mind when I see a thirty-something year old with that at the end of their name.

Like we've said many times before in this forum - context, context, context.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

With IV8888, he chose to double down, and I don't buy the Nascar excuse. I'm more cynical than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Aww... I liked Hunting Gear Guy. Thankfully it's not that bad, but I guess you have to hold your nose for at least not being super "blue lives matter" or other nonsense.

I only watch his YouTube stuff, but I'm guessing his anti com/ right libertarian views comes out on other social media platforms?